Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone kept a list of what BD titles have had disc rot or other issues? I remember a thread or two about it on one forum or another, but now that I'm looking to go Blu, I'd like to know which titles to avoid buying or avoid older copies of.
Old 02-24-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Early copies of The Prestige were reportedly problematic, although later pressings corrected this.
Old 02-24-08, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Prestige
Stranger Than Fiction

Those are the only two that I can remember. My Prestige had rot.
Old 02-24-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
What was wrong with Stranger Than Fiction? I bought that the day it was released and had no problems. I wonder if they replicated that at more than one place.
Old 02-24-08, 04:53 PM

What exactly is "rot" in relation to blu-ray movies?
Old 02-24-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The issue with The Prestige was not "rot" but a contaminant in one of the batches which causes some kind of weird reaction and resulted in tons of little spots under the finish from the pic I saw.
Old 02-24-08, 05:27 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I've had a couple movies with yellowing splotches inside the disc and were not recognized at all in the PS3. I've had maybe 3 or 4 more discs that either would not play (Pathfinder) or skipped alot (Home of the Brave, Rescue Dawn) in the past couple months even though they looked perfect. I've watched probably over 50 blu-ray movies, so it's a small percentage overall.
Old 11-11-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Ancient bump, but this was the first thread I found here regarding BD rot.

This summer, I discovered a huge amount (40+) of defective Warner Bros. DVDs in my collection. Nearly all were from box sets or 2-disc editions produced between 2005-2010. After contacting the studio, they did come through with replacements for about 80% of them after I mailed in the duds.

After that experience, I didn't even want to think about data rot affecting my blu-rays already. Unfortunately, it's also becoming a problem -- at least with early Lionsgate titles released around the same time period as the faulty WB DVDs. Looking at a thread over on the blu-ray site gave me an idea of what titles to inspect first.

Sure enough, I have four Lionsgate blus that have turned a dark yellow color with spots dotting the data side. Two of them (The Phantom and The Relic) will not load at all. Out of all my discs, why did it have to be the these two? Both are out of print and can sell for $50+ on good day. Just my friggin' luck...

As for the other two: Universal Soldier freezes up during the last half of the movie. Reservoir Dogs still seems to play, though I just fast-forwarded and didn't watch the whole movie. Still, things like this make me regret sinking so much money into a movie collection.

There's no security in ownership when a disc can play fine one day and not work at all the next. It wouldn't bother me quite as much if this started happening a couple decades after purchase, but not after only a few years. Apparently Lionsgate is one studio that doesn't offer replacements for defective titles, so I'm just out the cash due to their faulty manufacturing.
Old 11-11-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of the early Lionsgate titles have had problems. My American Psycho disc is a coaster now.
Old 11-11-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Criterion had a bad run of blu-rays that bronzed.

List and exchange info here: https://www.criterion.com/current/po...efective-discs
Old 11-12-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Why wouldn't Lionsgate replace a disc that's gone bad? That's incredibly anti-consumer. At least they didn't support HD-DVD, that format was an incredible fustercluck. They make MCA DiscoVision discs look good.
Old 11-12-18, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Why wouldn't Lionsgate replace a disc that's gone bad? That's incredibly anti-consumer. At least they didn't support HD-DVD, that format was an incredible fustercluck. They make MCA DiscoVision discs look good.
Ignoring the fact that both Criterion and Lionsgate both had issues with Blu-ray Discs...but cool, keep the hate alive.
Old 11-12-18, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
At least HD-DVD was region free. The combo discs were fucking stupid though.
Old 11-12-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
keep the hate alive.
As it turned out, it was good to "keep the hate alive."
The reason being as it was a technically inferior spec which, ultimately, cost consumers big bucks.
However, the good thing to come out of that misadventure was Hollywood learned to avoid Format Wars in the future.
I have had ZERO problems playing the 4K UHD disks in my Oppo.
Old 11-12-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Are we seriously rehashing the BD vs HD DVD debate in 2018?
Old 11-12-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I've begun hearing of more widespread Blu-ray issues from 2006-2008 pressings. Frankly, I rarely pull out my BDs that old anymore, but people are encountering more and more BDs from that era starting to fail.

Everyone knows the DVD-18s pressed by Universal were terrible. Those have been failing.
Old 11-12-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Ancient bump, but this was the first thread I found here regarding BD rot.

This summer, I discovered a huge amount (40+) of defective Warner Bros. DVDs in my collection. Nearly all were from box sets or 2-disc editions produced between 2005-2010. After contacting the studio, they did come through with replacements for about 80% of them after I mailed in the duds.

After that experience, I didn't even want to think about data rot affecting my blu-rays already. Unfortunately, it's also becoming a problem -- at least with early Lionsgate titles released around the same time period as the faulty WB DVDs. Looking at a thread over on the blu-ray site gave me an idea of what titles to inspect first.

Sure enough, I have four Lionsgate blus that have turned a dark yellow color with spots dotting the data side. Two of them (The Phantom and The Relic) will not load at all. Out of all my discs, why did it have to be the these two? Both are out of print and can sell for $50+ on good day. Just my friggin' luck...

As for the other two: Universal Soldier freezes up during the last half of the movie. Reservoir Dogs still seems to play, though I just fast-forwarded and didn't watch the whole movie. Still, things like this make me regret sinking so much money into a movie collection.

There's no security in ownership when a disc can play fine one day and not work at all the next. It wouldn't bother me quite as much if this started happening a couple decades after purchase, but not after only a few years. Apparently Lionsgate is one studio that doesn't offer replacements for defective titles, so I'm just out the cash due to their faulty manufacturing.
I pulled out The Phantom last night and thankfully it worked fine. I still have my copy of The Relic in shrinkwrap so I have no idea if it works.

Thanks Josh for posting that Criterion info. I'm going to have to check some of those next. I have most of the studio HD-dvd releases and have not touched most of them in almost ten years now. I hope they work lol.
Old 11-12-18, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by melasnus
As it turned out, it was good to "keep the hate alive."
The reason being as it was a technically inferior spec which, ultimately, cost consumers big bucks.
However, the good thing to come out of that misadventure was Hollywood learned to avoid Format Wars in the future.
I have had ZERO problems playing the 4K UHD disks in my Oppo.
Sure dude.

Region free is so silly. I love region coding. I also love all the players that stopped working with discs because of the Blu-Ray spec changing all the time to
Play catch-up with HD DVD at launch.

And yeah, buying Evan Almighty toilet paper on a HD DVD player was fucking awesome.

...thankfully I don’t buy discs anymore.
Old 11-12-18, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I pulled out The Phantom last night and thankfully it worked fine. I still have my copy of The Relic in shrinkwrap so I have no idea if it works.

Thanks Josh for posting that Criterion info. I'm going to have to check some of those next. I have most of the studio HD-dvd releases and have not touched most of them in almost ten years now. I hope they work lol.
I have lots of format war era Lionsgate discs thanks to the daily BOGOs. I’m not sure if they work anymore and would have to try to find something that played them. The only disc based system I have hooked up is a Wii U which doesn’t play BD movies and my One S is somewhere on my closet collecting dust. I remember trying my copy of The Descent years back and that worked...which I think had a version of an audio track that was removed from later pressings or something.
Old 11-13-18, 12:54 AM
Banned

War was Lionsgate, right? I watched that a couple times recently and it worked. I think there was always something wrong with the lossless track on that though. I don't normally have to switch from the default track on movies, but that one was fucked.
Old 11-13-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think all of my older Lionsgate blus still work... I think all I have is Reservoir Dogs (holofoil cover), My Bloody Valentine remake, and Jennifer’s Body.

Don’t know if I’d bother replacing Jennifer’s Body if it crapped out.
Old 11-13-18, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a different version of Reservoir Dogs out now that includes a digital copy. I've seen them in the Best Buy $5.99 bin. Do these include a different disc then?
Old 11-13-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think all of my older Lionsgate blus still work... I think all I have is Reservoir Dogs (holofoil cover), My Bloody Valentine remake, and Jennifer’s Body.

Don’t know if I’d bother replacing Jennifer’s Body if it crapped out.
Oops. Jennifer’s Body is Fox. It sure seems like it should be a Lionsgate...

Just checked my older LG blus — Reservoir Dogs, My Bloody Valentine, The Crow, and Repo: The Genetic Opera — and they all checked out.

But, man, it really made me miss the old blu-rays when the cases were solid and substantial, and the discs had full color art.
Old 11-13-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
There is a different version of Reservoir Dogs out now that includes a digital copy. I've seen them in the Best Buy $5.99 bin. Do these include a different disc then?
It’s a newer pressing, but it’s probably the exact same contents. You should be safe if you want to pick it up. I don’t think RD was a problemetic disc even though it’s one of Lionsgate’s earlier releases.
Old 11-13-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but my copy of Lionsgate's The Eye (the one with Jessica Alba) won't even load. I have a friend with that disc and he says that his won't load, either. In fact, he's the one who alerted me to its premature demise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.