Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Old 02-24-08, 04:10 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Has anyone kept a list of what BD titles have had disc rot or other issues? I remember a thread or two about it on one forum or another, but now that I'm looking to go Blu, I'd like to know which titles to avoid buying or avoid older copies of.
Viper187 is offline  
Old 02-24-08, 04:14 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,696
Early copies of The Prestige were reportedly problematic, although later pressings corrected this.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 02-24-08, 04:17 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,406
Prestige
Stranger Than Fiction

Those are the only two that I can remember. My Prestige had rot.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 02-24-08, 05:50 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,579
What was wrong with Stranger Than Fiction? I bought that the day it was released and had no problems. I wonder if they replicated that at more than one place.
bunkaroo is online now  
Old 02-24-08, 05:53 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 253
What exactly is "rot" in relation to blu-ray movies?
m0vi3fan is offline  
Old 02-24-08, 06:09 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,579
The issue with The Prestige was not "rot" but a contaminant in one of the batches which causes some kind of weird reaction and resulted in tons of little spots under the finish from the pic I saw.
bunkaroo is online now  
Old 02-24-08, 06:27 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,255
I've had a couple movies with yellowing splotches inside the disc and were not recognized at all in the PS3. I've had maybe 3 or 4 more discs that either would not play (Pathfinder) or skipped alot (Home of the Brave, Rescue Dawn) in the past couple months even though they looked perfect. I've watched probably over 50 blu-ray movies, so it's a small percentage overall.
PerryD is offline  
Old 11-11-18, 05:48 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,145
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Ancient bump, but this was the first thread I found here regarding BD rot.

This summer, I discovered a huge amount (40+) of defective Warner Bros. DVDs in my collection. Nearly all were from box sets or 2-disc editions produced between 2005-2010. After contacting the studio, they did come through with replacements for about 80% of them after I mailed in the duds.

After that experience, I didn't even want to think about data rot affecting my blu-rays already. Unfortunately, it's also becoming a problem -- at least with early Lionsgate titles released around the same time period as the faulty WB DVDs. Looking at a thread over on the blu-ray site gave me an idea of what titles to inspect first.

Sure enough, I have four Lionsgate blus that have turned a dark yellow color with spots dotting the data side. Two of them (The Phantom and The Relic) will not load at all. Out of all my discs, why did it have to be the these two? Both are out of print and can sell for $50+ on good day. Just my friggin' luck...

As for the other two: Universal Soldier freezes up during the last half of the movie. Reservoir Dogs still seems to play, though I just fast-forwarded and didn't watch the whole movie. Still, things like this make me regret sinking so much money into a movie collection.

There's no security in ownership when a disc can play fine one day and not work at all the next. It wouldn't bother me quite as much if this started happening a couple decades after purchase, but not after only a few years. Apparently Lionsgate is one studio that doesn't offer replacements for defective titles, so I'm just out the cash due to their faulty manufacturing.
joe_b is offline  
Old 11-11-18, 06:15 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,841
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

A lot of the early Lionsgate titles have had problems. My American Psycho disc is a coaster now.
DthRdrX is offline  
Old 11-11-18, 11:00 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,190
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Criterion had a bad run of blu-rays that bronzed.

List and exchange info here: https://www.criterion.com/current/po...efective-discs
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 09:53 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,488
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Why wouldn't Lionsgate replace a disc that's gone bad? That's incredibly anti-consumer. At least they didn't support HD-DVD, that format was an incredible fustercluck. They make MCA DiscoVision discs look good.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 10:40 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,406
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Why wouldn't Lionsgate replace a disc that's gone bad? That's incredibly anti-consumer. At least they didn't support HD-DVD, that format was an incredible fustercluck. They make MCA DiscoVision discs look good.
Ignoring the fact that both Criterion and Lionsgate both had issues with Blu-ray Discs...but cool, keep the hate alive.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 02:07 PM
  #13  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Why wouldn't Lionsgate replace a disc that's gone bad? That's incredibly anti-consumer. At least they didn't support HD-DVD, that format was an incredible fustercluck. They make MCA DiscoVision discs look good.
At least HD-DVD was region free. The combo discs were fucking stupid though.
Viper187 is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 04:34 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,129
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
keep the hate alive.
As it turned out, it was good to "keep the hate alive."
The reason being as it was a technically inferior spec which, ultimately, cost consumers big bucks.
However, the good thing to come out of that misadventure was Hollywood learned to avoid Format Wars in the future.
I have had ZERO problems playing the 4K UHD disks in my Oppo.
melasnus is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 04:44 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,643
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Are we seriously rehashing the BD vs HD DVD debate in 2018?
kefrank is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 05:02 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,011
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

I've begun hearing of more widespread Blu-ray issues from 2006-2008 pressings. Frankly, I rarely pull out my BDs that old anymore, but people are encountering more and more BDs from that era starting to fail.

Everyone knows the DVD-18s pressed by Universal were terrible. Those have been failing.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 05:09 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,841
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
Ancient bump, but this was the first thread I found here regarding BD rot.

This summer, I discovered a huge amount (40+) of defective Warner Bros. DVDs in my collection. Nearly all were from box sets or 2-disc editions produced between 2005-2010. After contacting the studio, they did come through with replacements for about 80% of them after I mailed in the duds.

After that experience, I didn't even want to think about data rot affecting my blu-rays already. Unfortunately, it's also becoming a problem -- at least with early Lionsgate titles released around the same time period as the faulty WB DVDs. Looking at a thread over on the blu-ray site gave me an idea of what titles to inspect first.

Sure enough, I have four Lionsgate blus that have turned a dark yellow color with spots dotting the data side. Two of them (The Phantom and The Relic) will not load at all. Out of all my discs, why did it have to be the these two? Both are out of print and can sell for $50+ on good day. Just my friggin' luck...

As for the other two: Universal Soldier freezes up during the last half of the movie. Reservoir Dogs still seems to play, though I just fast-forwarded and didn't watch the whole movie. Still, things like this make me regret sinking so much money into a movie collection.

There's no security in ownership when a disc can play fine one day and not work at all the next. It wouldn't bother me quite as much if this started happening a couple decades after purchase, but not after only a few years. Apparently Lionsgate is one studio that doesn't offer replacements for defective titles, so I'm just out the cash due to their faulty manufacturing.
I pulled out The Phantom last night and thankfully it worked fine. I still have my copy of The Relic in shrinkwrap so I have no idea if it works.

Thanks Josh for posting that Criterion info. I'm going to have to check some of those next. I have most of the studio HD-dvd releases and have not touched most of them in almost ten years now. I hope they work lol.
DthRdrX is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 10:40 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,406
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
As it turned out, it was good to "keep the hate alive."
The reason being as it was a technically inferior spec which, ultimately, cost consumers big bucks.
However, the good thing to come out of that misadventure was Hollywood learned to avoid Format Wars in the future.
I have had ZERO problems playing the 4K UHD disks in my Oppo.
Sure dude.

Region free is so silly. I love region coding. I also love all the players that stopped working with discs because of the Blu-Ray spec changing all the time to
Play catch-up with HD DVD at launch.

And yeah, buying Evan Almighty toilet paper on a HD DVD player was fucking awesome.

...thankfully I donít buy discs anymore.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 11-12-18, 10:45 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,406
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I pulled out The Phantom last night and thankfully it worked fine. I still have my copy of The Relic in shrinkwrap so I have no idea if it works.

Thanks Josh for posting that Criterion info. I'm going to have to check some of those next. I have most of the studio HD-dvd releases and have not touched most of them in almost ten years now. I hope they work lol.
I have lots of format war era Lionsgate discs thanks to the daily BOGOs. Iím not sure if they work anymore and would have to try to find something that played them. The only disc based system I have hooked up is a Wii U which doesnít play BD movies and my One S is somewhere on my closet collecting dust. I remember trying my copy of The Descent years back and that worked...which I think had a version of an audio track that was removed from later pressings or something.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 11-13-18, 01:54 AM
  #20  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,046
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

War was Lionsgate, right? I watched that a couple times recently and it worked. I think there was always something wrong with the lossless track on that though. I don't normally have to switch from the default track on movies, but that one was fucked.
Viper187 is offline  
Old 11-13-18, 08:24 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,190
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

I think all of my older Lionsgate blus still work... I think all I have is Reservoir Dogs (holofoil cover), My Bloody Valentine remake, and Jennifer’s Body.

Don’t know if I’d bother replacing Jennifer’s Body if it crapped out.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 11-13-18, 08:48 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,413
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

There is a different version of Reservoir Dogs out now that includes a digital copy. I've seen them in the Best Buy $5.99 bin. Do these include a different disc then?
mattysemo247 is offline  
Old 11-13-18, 09:04 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,190
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think all of my older Lionsgate blus still work... I think all I have is Reservoir Dogs (holofoil cover), My Bloody Valentine remake, and Jenniferís Body.

Donít know if Iíd bother replacing Jenniferís Body if it crapped out.
Oops. Jenniferís Body is Fox. It sure seems like it should be a Lionsgate...

Just checked my older LG blus ó Reservoir Dogs, My Bloody Valentine, The Crow, and Repo: The Genetic Opera ó and they all checked out.

But, man, it really made me miss the old blu-rays when the cases were solid and substantial, and the discs had full color art.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 11-13-18, 09:06 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,190
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
There is a different version of Reservoir Dogs out now that includes a digital copy. I've seen them in the Best Buy $5.99 bin. Do these include a different disc then?
Itís a newer pressing, but itís probably the exact same contents. You should be safe if you want to pick it up. I donít think RD was a problemetic disc even though itís one of Lionsgateís earlier releases.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 11-13-18, 09:12 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,406
Re: Which BD titles have had rot or other issues?

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but my copy of Lionsgate's The Eye (the one with Jessica Alba) won't even load. I have a friend with that disc and he says that his won't load, either. In fact, he's the one who alerted me to its premature demise.
rbrown498 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.