Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

The transfers here (other than the new trilogy, and particularly Phantom, A New Hope, and Empire) sound pretty lackluster. Sadly, they'll probably never be redone for a physical home media format again.
Old 04-05-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

For anyone curious, all the recently released 4K Star Wars films (with the exception The Rise of Skywalker) are part of Target's current B2G1F sale.
Old 04-05-20, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
For anyone curious, all the recently released 4K Star Wars films (with the exception The Rise of Skywalker) are part of Target's current B2G1F sale.
They don't seem to have The Last Jedi 4K, odd.
Old 04-05-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
They don't seem to have The Last Jedi 4K, odd.
I read on The Digital Bits’ review that there is currently no single disc release of the 4K disc that comes with the big box set, so I definitely misspoke in that regard.
Old 04-05-20, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartload
I read on The Digital Bits’ review that there is currently no single disc release of the 4K disc that comes with the big box set, so I definitely misspoke in that regard.
There is a single movie release of it, Best Buy has it and also a SteelBook version.

Target has a listing, just not available.

https://www.target.com/p/star-wars-t...t_adv_xasd0002
Old 04-05-20, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

If I make it out of this crisis alive and still have money in the bank, I may consider getting this box set.
Old 04-14-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This is the first SW boxset that I'm passing on. I would have upgraded to 4K, but many of you guys are saying the OT transfers aren't much different than the BluRay transfers, so what's the point? There is no extras left from the franchise that they can release (like they did in previous BoxSets) to compel me to buy this. I have pretty much said from day one the last ace up their sleeve is the OOT versions, as that's really the last thing they can release that will get a good chunk of fans to buy something this expensive. This boxset is a fucking ripoff.
Old 04-14-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The new discs of ANH and ESB (didn't buy RotJ) are light years better than the 2011 releases. Both the Bd and the UHDs.
Don't go by the screenshots floating around. Color grading, contrast, resolution all mop the floor with the earlier discs.
Not even close.
Old 04-14-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The new discs of ANH and ESB (didn't buy RotJ) are light years better than the 2011 releases. Both the Bd and the UHDs.
Don't go by the screenshots floating around. Color grading, contrast, resolution all mop the floor with the earlier discs.
Not even close.
Thanks. I forgot they are selling them individually so I would think about buying just the OT 4K movies then.
Old 04-14-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I broke down on the individual releases of the Original Trilogy since I haven’t ever officially bought them. Still feel kind of weird in doing so honestly since I never really wanted the special editions without the unaltered films, but it seems like that’s never going to happen so fuck it. The buy two get one free deal at Target made me feel a bit better about the purchase. I couldn’t justify the entire set though even if it’s really nice looking. When I only truly like a handful of the films anyways.
Old 04-14-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I broke down on the individual releases of the Original Trilogy since I haven’t ever officially bought them. Still feel kind of weird in doing so honestly since I never really wanted the special editions without the unaltered films, but it seems like that’s never going to happen so fuck it. The buy two get one free deal at Target made me feel a bit better about the purchase. I couldn’t justify the entire set though even if it’s really nice looking. When I only truly like a handful of the films anyways.
I can't really blame you - I've been tempted each time a new release of the OT comes out on disc, especially when I like the packaging. But then I remind myself that I'm more than satisfied with the fan "preservation" versions of the OOT that I have (Despecialized, 4K77, 4K83, etc) and would never really bring myself to sit down and watch the special editions.
Old 04-14-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I watched the 4k versions of the OT on Disney+. Saved me the impulse of an unnecessary upgrade as I only watched the BD set once. This was the first time I had seen ROTJ all the way through since they added Hayden to it. What a terrible change that was.
Old 04-14-20, 09:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I watched the 4k versions of the OT on Disney+. Saved me the impulse of an unnecessary upgrade as I only watched the BD set once. This was the first time I had seen ROTJ all the way through since they added Hayden to it. What a terrible change that was.
ugh, I almost forgot about that...
Old 04-14-20, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I can't really blame you - I've been tempted each time a new release of the OT comes out on disc, especially when I like the packaging. But then I remind myself that I'm more than satisfied with the fan "preservation" versions of the OOT that I have (Despecialized, 4K77, 4K83, etc) and would never really bring myself to sit down and watch the special editions.
See now that I own official copies (well I do have the 2004 DVD set too) I won’t feel bad about maybe buying a set of the despecialized editions as well. Like I say thought the only reason I brought myself to was that sale. Price was right for the three films on 4K.
Old 04-14-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Return of the Jedi has some of the worst changes in my opinion. Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin and Vader yelling out “nooooooo” as he throws Palpatine down the shaft of the Death Star II are probably the most offensive changes in the entire trilogy. Especially the added “noooooo” line. I just truly hate that it’s there and feel like it’s such a screw you to the fans from George Lucas.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike86:
bunkaroo (04-14-20), John Pannozzi (04-17-20), kefrank (04-14-20), PhantomStranger (04-15-20)
Old 04-14-20, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

See now that I own official copies (well I do have the 2004 DVD set too) I won’t feel bad about maybe buying a set of the despecialized editions as well. Like I say thought the only reason I brought myself to was that sale. Price was right for the three films on 4K.
Just to clarify, buying the Despecialized editions or other fan preservations shouldn't really need to be on the table. They are very intentionally made available for free by the creators with all the typical legal disclaimers that you must own a legitimate copy of the GOUT if you're going to download them. Anyone selling them is doing something inappropriate.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-17-20)
Old 04-15-20, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Return of the Jedi has some of the worst changes in my opinion. Hayden replacing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin and Vader yelling out “nooooooo” as he throws Palpatine down the shaft of the Death Star II are probably the most offensive changes in the entire trilogy. Especially the added “noooooo” line. I just truly hate that it’s there and feel like it’s such a screw you to the fans from George Lucas.
You forget to mention 'Jedi Rocks' musical number at Jabba's palace, which takes you right out of the movie. Let's throw in a 1980's CGI MTV video in the middle of Jabba's palace as he captures each one of our heroes! What's funny is this change should have been a strong warning to what was the come in the Prequels as you could see that Lucas had lost his edge as to what was cool in a GFFA.

Old 04-24-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To anyone who owns the 4K BDs of Rogue One or The Force Awakens, would you recommend the upgrade from BD to 4K BD?
Old 04-28-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

All the digital versions are $9.99 UHD this week on the major services.

The nine-pack is $80. As I don’t have ROS at all, and the others only in HD (Solo is my only UHD), I’m pretty tempted. Even if only the OT has significant replay value for me. In a normal world, I would’ve picked up ROS at Target on street date like previous SW and Marvel movies, but because of quarantine and my ho-hum response to the movie, that’s $30 I didn’t spend that I could justify using for the bundle.
Old 05-04-20, 05:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For those who partake in the Harmy/Despecialized Editions, he posted this recently on Facebook.

Spoiler:

Hi, guys, I know I haven’t updated you in quite a while and it’s because I haven’t really been working on Despecialized.

One reason was that I have been waiting for the new 4K Blu-Rays to come out and now they have and together with the 4K77 project, they should be a great source for a version 3.0 - they do seem to offer have more detail than the 2011 BDs, even though the DNR is pretty awful, but I will definitely try to add grain to them - ideally real scanned 35mm grain, which I might even be able to extract from Star Wars scans to keep it super-authentic.

Right now there are several problems with using the new UHD masters though.

The UHD Blu-Rays haven’t come out in Europe yet, as far as I know.
They are really expensive, so I’ll have to think twice before purchasing them when they do.
Even if I buy them, I don’t even have a UHD player, let alone UHD BD drive, so I haven’t got the ability to rip them or even view them.
Even if I could rip them or get them in some other way, I have no idea how to properly work with HDR streams.

So, if someone could help me with the proper HDR workflow, it would be appreciated. I don’t even really want to make the final result 4K HDR - I’d like the result to be a regular 1080p Blu-Ray, as I feel like this way the sources will match better and there shouldn’t be a significant loss in quality anyway but I would like to source the HDR BDs to use the better dynamic range for color-grading.

But maybe, in the end, it would be best to just use the regular BD versions of the new transfers, which would eliminate all the above problems and I could work as I am used to.

Now, the main reason work on Despecialized has slowed down significantly in recent years is that I have a full-time job in the visual effects industry and, frankly also more of a social life, so I have far less time to work on Despecialized and, to be honest, also less drive, because after coming home from work, where I stare at a monitor all day and work on VFX, I seldom feel like doing the same thing at home.

Another reason is that the 4K77 version is wonderful and for my own viewing pleasure it is quite sufficient and I actually really enjoy it for its retro-charm.

But it is still more of a preservation of what the experience of watching a slightly beat-up print in drive-in theater would have been rather than what a proper modern transfer of a milestone film should look like and that’s what Despecialized v3.0 should supplement, when it gets finished.

In my country, the COVID-19 crisis, at least so far, hasn’t reached a point where it would prevent me from going to work, so I’m still working, albeit, since there’s no new productions being made, the post production side of things is winding down as well. But after the current big work-project is finished, which should be at the end of may, I’d like to take some time off and finally get going on Despecialized again. I’m not sure, though, if, given the current economic climate, I’ll be able to afford to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (05-04-20)
Old 05-04-20, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
For those who partake in the Harmy/Despecialized Editions, he posted this recently on Facebook....
Dude needs to set up an indiegogo campaign or start a patreon account if he needs new hardware/software. I don't think he understands how much support there is out there.
Old 05-04-20, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Not mentioned in this thread. The set is on sale this week at Best Buy for $199.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wa...?skuId=6393929

Use your stimulus money!!! Pull the trigger!!!
Old 05-04-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Or...

Originally Posted by joltman
Target has an online offer of 15% off select 4K movies through May 30.

The Star Wars 4Ks are 23.99 today, meaning the 15% off brings them down to 20.39 each.
Old 05-05-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering where the $23.99 prices that Amazon has on their site was coming from, now I know.
Old 05-05-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Dude needs to set up an indiegogo campaign or start a patreon account if he needs new hardware/software. I don't think he understands how much support there is out there.
Disney and Lucasfilm have tolerated fan edits and restorations of the Star Wars films so long as the creators don't profit off them. The minute he asks for money is when the lawyers will come out full force and slap a cease-and-desist order on him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.