Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray; 3/31/20)

Originally Posted by E Unit
For those who partake in the Harmy/Despecialized Editions, he posted this recently on Facebook.
I bought an awesome 6 disc set of the most recent Harmy editions and they look and sound fantastic. All are packed to the gills with extras, commentaries, etc. and are better editions than anything Disney has or will ever put out.

I plan to buy the 4K77 versions once ROTJ is released for those and then I will be able to die a happy man.

Unless there is a true 4K edition of the OT released, I will not have to buy anything else. I do plan to buy a 4K edition of Rogue One and probably Solo at some point. I loved Rogue One and Solo wasn't as bad as people made it out to be (though I have to admit that I have not seen it since the one theatrical viewing).

I would rather watch my 720p, 5.1 versions of the OT than the bastardized 4K versions any day of the week. And since I just ignore the fact that the prequels and the newest trilogy never happened, I don't have to send any money their way for the awful revised OT.
​​​​​​​
Old 05-05-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I plan to buy the 4K77 versions once ROTJ is released for those and then I will be able to die a happy man.
I assume you mean the restoration of Empire Strikes Back, which is still pending. The "4K83" version of Return of the Jedi is currently available.
Old 05-05-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I assume you mean the restoration of Empire Strikes Back, which is still pending. The "4K83" version of Return of the Jedi is currently available.
D'oh. You are correct sir!
Old 05-05-20, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I'm a longtime Star Wars fan going all the way back to the 70s as a kid, I should absolutely be the target for this kind of box.

But I'm just so jaded from how the franchise has been treated. I'm not a prequel (or sequel) hater, I find things to enjoy in all 11 films (plus Clone Wars and Mandalorian, etc), but this box is just not good enough.
It's missing Rogue One and Solo (only 2 films, it would have been easy enough to add them). There's extras missing. Still doesn't include the UOTs.

Plus the fact that I only have Bluray in the living room (bigger screen and sound system plus the couch) while our Xbox One S is in the bedroom (smaller tv).

If I won it in a raffle or something, I'd take it. But I just can't pull the trigger, even for somewhat improved PQ. My blus will hold another few years.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
John Pannozzi (05-29-20), story (06-13-20)
Old 05-05-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Disney and Lucasfilm have tolerated fan edits and restorations of the Star Wars films so long as the creators don't profit off them. The minute he asks for money is when the lawyers will come out full force and slap a cease-and-desist order on him.
He wouldn't be asking for money for the restorations, he'd be asking for upgraded equipment and software. If that helps him to improve his restorations, that's up to him and the work he does. Obviously, the restorations couldn't be provided as a reward in any way.

I was thinking of something like Astartes, a Warhammer 40,000 Fan Film project, that takes Patreon subscriptions.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFM...eAOOA/featured
https://www.patreon.com/astartesfilm

Patreon could work for Harmny, where he could provided exclusive behind-the-scenes videos as a bonus for monthly subscriptions. He could also start and stop his progress as he sees fit, since he wouldn't be promising any sort of end product like what tends to happen with an Indiegogo or Kickstarter project. Of course, he doesn't have to promise anything with an Indiegogo beyond gratitude for the new equipment, and I think people would still pledge with no expectation of reward as a thank you for the work he's done so far.

It can be tricky to navigate though. The Warhammer 40k rights holder seems fine with the Astartes fan films being widely distributed. The Harmny edits have always been in a grayer area.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-29-20)
Old 05-05-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

Disney and Lucasfilm have tolerated fan edits and restorations of the Star Wars films so long as the creators don't profit off them. The minute he asks for money is when the lawyers will come out full force and slap a cease-and-desist order on him.
​​​​​​I agree with everything you say, but I'll add that he has received donations for new equipment in the past. I'm sure some of the usual suspects in the Star Wars fan edit community have already made private offers in light of this post.
​​
The other part of this is as soon as he publicly asks for money, he is more or less beholden to deliver, which I'm not convinced he ever will. At least any time soon, for all the reasons he outlined.
John Pannozzi (05-29-20)
Old 05-05-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
He wouldn't be asking for money for the restorations, he'd be asking for upgraded equipment and software. If that helps him to improve his restorations, that's up to him and the work he does. Obviously, the restorations couldn't be provided as a reward in any way.
If I were him, I don't think I'd want to risk it. The copyright holder (Disney) could easily argue that the upgraded equipment and software are compensation for providing a copy of a product they own. Given Disney's history of litigating against things like child day care centers for painting Mickey Mouse murals on their walls, that's dangerous territory.

It also treads very close to what happened when the Axanar project triggered CBS to bring the hammer down on the entire Star Trek fan film community, which they had previously tolerated. If Disney decides that a fan restoration infringes on their copyright, they could shut down not just Harmy, but also Project 4K77, Adywan, and everybody else trying to "un-specialize" these movies.

Better not to poke that sleeping dog, IMO.
Old 05-05-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I thought about getting the box set yesterday when it dropped to $199.99 (back to $249.99 now)

But, I couldn't pull the trigger. Too much money to spend for something that I already own in many incarnations. I actually just picked up Rise of Skywalker on 4K disc a few weeks ago.

Old 05-05-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

The individual 4K releases are still $23.99 on Amazon. Not as good a deal as Target was offering yesterday with the 15% promo though (Target has them back to $29.99 each). Almost grabbed the prequels yesterday but decided to hold off.

I figure they might drop again and if I can get them for around $50-60 I might go for them. Might do that for all the saga films eventually. It would still end up being less than the Skywalker Saga set, which while nice I don’t mind passing on.
Old 05-05-20, 04:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

For those who partake in the Harmy/Despecialized Editions, he posted this recently on Facebook.

Spoiler:
Even if I buy them, I don’t even have a UHD player, let alone UHD BD drive, so I haven’t got the ability to rip them or even view them.
This part's easy if he can come across a UHD-friendly BD drive, which are actually 'better' for this process... or so I'm told. I wouldn't know.
Old 05-05-20, 08:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm about 10-15 years past being interested in doing anything like what Harmy is doing. I have his original 3, but that's it. No more, although I'll pick up the official 4k releases at some point.
Old 05-05-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's still pushing it. Once money starts changing hands, even if it's just for equipment or whatever, it becomes a whole new ballgame.

If I were him, I don't think I'd want to risk it. The copyright holder (Disney) could easily argue that the upgraded equipment and software are compensation for providing a copy of a product they own. Given Disney's history of litigating against things like child day care centers for painting Mickey Mouse murals on their walls, that's dangerous territory.

It also treads very close to what happened when the Axanar project triggered CBS to bring the hammer down on the entire Star Trek fan film community, which they had previously tolerated. If Disney decides that a fan restoration infringes on their copyright, they could shut down not just Harmy, but also Project 4K77, Adywan, and everybody else trying to "un-specialize" these movies.

Better not to poke that sleeping dog, IMO.
Agreed here. Harmy needs to tread lightly. It probably wouldn't take much for Disney to come down on all of this stuff like a ton of bricks. They're operating in a legal gray area (and I mean, really, really dark gray) here, and have, so far, been tolerated.

Axanar is a great example for what can happen. Paramount tolerated Star Trek fan films for a long time, but once the Axanar guys started raking in "donations" (I think they pulled in over a million dollars, no?) and hawking merchandise, it was only a matter of time before Paramount came down on them. And now, nobody, aside from Seth MacFarlane, apparently, can make Star Trek fan films.

Truthfully, I'm kind of surprised that Disney hasn't cracked down on these fan-edits and restorations. Disney strikes me as being a lot less forgiving than Paramount.

By the by, I have heard that the reason Disney goes after daycare centers with Disney characters painted on the walls is because they don't want people to think the daycare centers are affiliated with the Disney company, which I can understand.
John Pannozzi (05-29-20)
Old 05-05-20, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

He doesn't need to use the UHDs. The remastered Blu rays are already huge upgrades over the 2011 versions themselves. "Night and day" is a cliche and hyperbole, but the visual differences between the two in regards to resolved detail , color , and contrast is HUGE. Because I hate just about all the substantive SE changes (outside of an establishing shot here and there and the final dogfight in ANH) I watch both of these films as if they were extended digest versions, with the remote and FF button readily at hand.
I no longer enjoy them as sit back and relax experiences, but in the capacity I do watch them, these new editions...frankly, rock.

If Harmy is set up to use the 2011 Bds he could just as easily cull footage from these. The only problem I see is, given the substantially better res and color/contrast, it's going to make the upscaled footage stick out all that much more.
Old 05-06-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought about getting the box set yesterday when it dropped to $199.99 (back to $249.99 now)

But, I couldn't pull the trigger. Too much money to spend for something that I already own in many incarnations. I actually just picked up Rise of Skywalker on 4K disc a few weeks ago.
Same reaction here. I haven't even bought any 4K versions (with the exception of Solo and The Last Jedi) because of their availability on Disney +

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-06-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A New Hope 4k SteelBook at Zavvi for those interested. I'm sure more will follow. Possible this may wind up at Best Buy in the U.S. as well, but no announcement of that yet.

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-wa.../12564552.html

Image put in spoiler tags for size.

Spoiler:

Old 05-07-20, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've never been clear, is Zavvi just like a boutique label that packages existing discs in new steelbooks?
Old 05-07-20, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Well darn. Now I sort of wish I would have waited. If they’re going to be doing Steelbook releases for all the films using the original artwork that’s almost tempting. I’ll pass though as I just bought the 4K releases with Target’s buy two get one free sale.
Old 05-07-20, 11:26 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Wow, that Star Wars steelbook is gorgeous. If it shows up on Best Buy, I might have to preorder it.
Old 05-07-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've never been clear, is Zavvi just like a boutique label that packages existing discs in new steelbooks?
Zavvi is a prominent internet retailer in the UK, akin to something like Deep Discount. They have deals with studios to carry exclusive SteelBooks much as Best Buy does here.
milo bloom (05-07-20)
Old 05-07-20, 11:43 AM
Banned by request

Who also charge very high prices for shipping.
Old 05-07-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Nice original artwork there, pity it likely won't include the original movie.
Old 05-07-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I thought they were just a foreign retailer who gets steelbook exclusives like Best Buy does in the states.
Jay G. (05-07-20)
Old 05-07-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who also charge very high prices for shipping.
True, but they have many exclusive SteelBooks that can't be gotten anywhere else.
Old 05-07-20, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

I used to drink that Kool-Aid. Thankfully it was just a phase. But I did just order Flash Gordon from them. I think my first order in 3-4 years.
Old 05-21-20, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As expected, Zavvi now has a 4k SteelBook for Empire Strikes Back. I'm disappointed that the artwork doesn't follow the same theme as New Hope.

https://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-wa.../12584863.html

Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.