HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Old 08-22-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

I think Disney will take away the Fox opening from all six movies.

But I hope Disney keeps the Fox opening for the blu-rays and put it back fo rthe other five digital copy movies, only ANH has the Fox opening.
Old 08-22-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Texan26 View Post
Since Disney now owns Fox, any chance they will add back the classic 20th Century Fox opening to the original movies? They just don't seem the same without that opening when I watch them on digital.
Unlikely. It will more than likely just be the Lucasfilm logo.
Old 08-22-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Makes you wonder will they take out that 20th Century Fox fanfare from all films though? I mean I donít understand why they couldnít keep it there since itís now a company they own. Even if they added a tag below with like ďA Disney CompanyĒ or whatever. Itís a small thing, but I agree it is weird not seeing the fanfare.
Old 08-22-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Won't these releases in September just be the existing discs? I don't see Disney reauthoring them just to take out the FOX Fanfare or are you discussing the future UHD releases? I also doubt they are going to change the digital versions.
Old 08-22-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Makes you wonder will they take out that 20th Century Fox fanfare from all films though? I mean I donít understand why they couldnít keep it there since itís now a company they own. Even if they added a tag below with like ďA Disney CompanyĒ or whatever. Itís a small thing, but I agree it is weird not seeing the fanfare.
You shouldn't underestimate how spiteful Disney can be regarding the Fox acquisition. They've already made a very public spectacle of canceling every upcoming movie in development at the studio. They could have done that quietly and shifted projects around behind the scenes without issuing a press release boasting about how they're flushing all of Fox's crap and starting over. This is very much a shock-and-awe transition designed to shake up the entire Hollywood community.
Old 08-22-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You shouldn't underestimate how spiteful Disney can be regarding the Fox acquisition. They've already made a very public spectacle of canceling every upcoming movie in development at the studio. They could have done that quietly and shifted projects around behind the scenes without issuing a press release boasting about how they're flushing all of Fox's crap and starting over. This is very much a shock-and-awe transition designed to shake up the entire Hollywood community.
Was that spite or was that because they wanted to blame Fox for their shortfall in the quarter?
Old 08-22-19, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Cutting the fox logo and fanfare is just spiteful film desecration. Universal now owns Vertigo and Rear Window, but they see the reason to retain the Paramount logos on those films.
Old 08-22-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In 2015, Disney released the digital copies without the Fox logo and fanfare for the five saga movies.

It's been the same for the TNT showings. Most people haven't noticed. But we're not most people.

ANH should be on Movies Anywhere next month. Disney probably will take away the Fox opening for it.

It'd be funny if Disney did release the OOT but without the Fox logo and burned in subtitles.
Old 08-23-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Was that spite or was that because they wanted to blame Fox for their shortfall in the quarter?
Why can't it be both?
Old 08-23-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
In 2015, Disney released the digital copies without the Fox logo and fanfare for the five saga movies.

It's been the same for the TNT showings. Most people haven't noticed. But we're not most people.

ANH should be on Movies Anywhere next month. Disney probably will take away the Fox opening for it.

It'd be funny if Disney did release the OOT but without the Fox logo and burned in subtitles.
I saw a theatrical showing of ESB a few months ago and it still had the Fox logo on it.
Old 08-23-19, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Cutting the fox logo and fanfare is just spiteful film desecration. Universal now owns Vertigo and Rear Window, but they see the reason to retain the Paramount logos on those films.
But other studios have also removed old studio openings. I remember Terminator 2 and many other movies having the Pegasus horse opening of TriStar Pictures. It's no longer there. The rereleased Labyrinth movie did add it back. That's the only movie I can think of that still has that classic opening.
Old 08-23-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This happens even within a single studio. Warner Bros has a frustrating habit of removing its old logos to replace them with the modern WB shield. This really hurts some movies, like The Exorcist. The original transition from the red and black 1970s logo helped set the mood at the beginning of the film, and even had audio play over it that's been cut out from the current version.
Old 08-24-19, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

And that's enough for me to not buy a release. Given that, there's no way I've tolerated all the changes to Star Wars!
Old 08-24-19, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This happens even within a single studio. Warner Bros has a frustrating habit of removing its old logos to replace them with the modern WB shield. This really hurts some movies, like The Exorcist. The original transition from the red and black 1970s logo helped set the mood at the beginning of the film, and even had audio play over it that's been cut out from the current version.
I hate that Warner does this to their old classics. The new logo before those movies seems so out of place.
Old 08-24-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I honestly don't care about changed studio logos and couldn't even tell you who originally released my favorite films most of the time. But I think they should be left alone for those who do care. Throw the new logo for whatever studio owns in now first or the new logo of the studio but then show the original where it has always been. But studios have never bothered to do anything correctly, most of the time they don't even include the original audio, so I wouldn't expect that to change with a new format.
Old 08-24-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Certain films I associate the studio opening with more than others I guess. Itís not something Iím always a stickler for. I do associate the Fox fanfare with Star Wars though.
Old 08-24-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I totally associate the Fox fanfare with Star Wars, so much so that every time I went to a new movie with the fanfare in front of it, I would jokingly whisper to my friend "Is this Star Wars?" as the fanfare played.

The fact that I can't do that anymore makes me sad.