Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Re: Star Wars saga -- Disney BD re-release

It’s not cost and at this point I doubt it’s because of some perceived “gentleman’s agreement” between George and Disney.

When he allowed the release of the laserdisc copies on DVD he showed he wasn’t interested in suppressing them, he just didn’t care enough to want to bother.

Disney would have no qualms about paying the money if they thought they could move a few extra copies. Like rocket1312 just said, other studios restore and release all kinds of c-list horror stuff all the time. Disney could do this with they change they fish out of the fountain at Disneyworld.

I’d bet even money we’ll see them next year with the home video release of TROS.
Old 08-11-19, 12:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
And yet every year plenty of older, more obscure and far more problematic (from a restoration perspective) films get loving restorations. None of which are owned by a literal money factory like Disney. I've never bought the cost excuse. It is and always has been about the desire (or lack thereof) to actually do it.
Yes, but there is already a perfectly acceptable print of all the Star Wars movies available. What does Disney gain by spending the money to restore the original unaltered trilogy? Physical sales are in the toilet and not it going up. We are already in Star Wars overload with movies seemingly every year and a dozen shows in development. It’s no longer an event.
Old 08-11-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Well, they did also release the OOT on DVD in 2006 as a "special feature" for another special edition re-release (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ori...ltered_trilogy). I've kept those. Sure, they aren't uber cleaned up like a blu but, to be honest, it's how I remember them as a kid and I kinda' dig the little blemishes. Anywho, the OOT official release is out there. I just paired them with the Complete Saga Blus, kept Empire of Dreams from a previous release, got R1, Solo and the new trilogy seperate and that's my uber edition on my self.
I had those, but I sold them a few years back. The fact that they are non-anamorphic is ridiculous and a deal breaker for me. I can't watch them letterboxed on all 4 sides or zoomed in. I was never going to watch and enjoy them that way, so I sold them.
Old 08-11-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

I don’t know the details about remastering a film so maybe I’m just ignorant, but I don’t see why it would cost that much to do a restoration of the unaltered films really. I mean given that the films already have HD remasters and are getting remastered for 4K it shouldn’t be that hard to restore the unaltered parts. The bulk of the films already are ready for release. Couldn't the unaltered parts just get newly done masters and be spliced in with what already exists? I mean maybe that’s not ideally the way to do it but I don’t see why that wouldn’t be possible for the sake of argument if it’s deemed too expensive to do a full remaster.
Old 08-11-19, 06:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I just want Rogue One in 4K, so I'll wait until that happens.
Old 08-11-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yes, but there is already a perfectly acceptable print of all the Star Wars movies available. What does Disney gain by spending the money to restore the original unaltered trilogy? Physical sales are in the toilet and not it going up. We are already in Star Wars overload with movies seemingly every year and a dozen shows in development. It’s no longer an event.
I'll agree with you that the reason it hasn't been done already is because Disney is fine peddling the version they have (that and the fact that until this year the Fox situation was an impediment), but I'd argue that the current masters are hardly acceptable by 2019 standards. They were barely acceptable when they were originally released. And the fact that they are only 1080p means that in order to do 4k the whole deal needed to be rescanned anyways. Why not just go the extra mile and do the originals? Presumably the elements they'd scan for 4k are only configured to the 97 versions, so they'd have to do extra work anyways if they want to reproduce whatever the current versions are. And whatever lack of demand is still out there for physical media isn't preventing other studios from doing these sorts of restorations. If any film or films can hope to recoup the costs involved, I think it'd be Star Wars.
Old 08-12-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It's just a repackaging to dump inventory before a complete saga set gets released in the near future, along with a 4K set. I wouldn't expect that set at the same time that The Rise of Skywalker hits home video, however. My guess is they'll release the final film in April or May of 2020, but hold off the new complete saga set until November.
Old 08-12-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I just want Rogue One in 4K, so I'll wait until that happens.
R1 is a decent movie, but the only Disney SW movie that really FEELS like a Star Wars movie is Solo and I already have it in 4K UHD.
The OT films are the movies I would be willing to upgrade from 2K to 4K in the future.
Old 08-12-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

What does Disney gain by spending the money to restore the original unaltered trilogy?
Hmmm... A lot more money? After spending 4 billion on the Star Wars franchise, I imagine as good capitalists they would want to wring-out every dime they possibly could.

When the Limited Edition DVDs came out with the non-anamorphic versions of the original Star Wars trilogy that was more of a response to the growing number of pirated versions of the Laserdisc transfer that were circulating on-line at the time.

Physical sales are in the toilet and not it going up. .
True but there still seems to be financial incentives to release Gremlins, Red Heat and many more lower-tier titles in 4K. Given the influence and historical value of these films, don't the original versions deserve to be preserved correctly regardless of whatever format they exist on? Maybe they have been and were created with the understanding that they would never be made available to the public on a consumer video format.

George Lucas opposing the release of these original films is about the only plausible reason I can see as to why we haven't seen them yet. He sold the franchise but perhaps those are the cards he's keeping to himself.
Old 08-12-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The people that are interested in the original unaltered trilogy will buy it in addition to whatever else they release. So I think at some point, when there's a lull (if there ever is one), it makes sense for them to do it. I mean, there's really no reason for them to re-release these now with new covers and I'm sure they will still sell a bunch.

Even if they do it as some massive collectors set as an extra it would sell a ton of copies, I'd think.
Old 08-12-19, 12:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Disney has raped my adulthood...yet again.
Old 08-12-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The people that are interested in the original unaltered trilogy will buy it in addition to whatever else they release. So I think at some point, when there's a lull (if there ever is one), it makes sense for them to do it. I mean, there's really no reason for them to re-release these now with new covers and I'm sure they will still sell a bunch.

Even if they do it as some massive collectors set as an extra it would sell a ton of copies, I'd think.
Even beyond that, it behooves Disney to archive the original versions before it's too late so that they're not just lost to history. Even if that doesn't mean a physical release now or in the near future, it's all about asset protection. Who knows, 25 years from now Disney might be in a position to monetize the original trilogy in a way they never could have foreseen. The point is that no one knows, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd certainly feel a whole lot better if, say, Sony controlled the franchise, but hopefully Disney will step up to the plate.
Old 08-12-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Based on Disney's past efforts to acquire Oswald the Lucky Rabbit shorts that weren't in there possession, I cannot see Disney passing up opportunity to acquire prints of the UOT if they don't already have them. And I am sure at some point they will release them, original trilogy fans only getting older and only so much cash they can squeeze out of us.
Old 08-12-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Even beyond that, it behooves Disney to archive the original versions before it's too late so that they're not just lost to history. Even if that doesn't mean a physical release now or in the near future, it's all about asset protection. Who knows, 25 years from now Disney might be in a position to monetize the original trilogy in a way they never could have foreseen. The point is that no one knows, and it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd certainly feel a whole lot better if, say, Sony controlled the franchise, but hopefully Disney will step up to the plate.
I hope they think like that. Paramount is refusing to remaster DS9 and VOY in HD, even though it would make them easier to sell into syndication. But since it's only three films, Disney may see the benefit of doing the OT.

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Based on Disney's past efforts to acquire Oswald the Lucky Rabbit shorts that weren't in there possession, I cannot see Disney passing up opportunity to acquire prints of the UOT if they don't already have them. And I am sure at some point they will release them, original trilogy fans only getting older and only so much cash they can squeeze out of us.
That's a sobering thought. We're not getting any younger, and even if we try to introduce our kids to the UOT, many of them will still be fine with the SE versions.
Old 08-12-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I hope they think like that. Paramount is refusing to remaster DS9 and VOY in HD, even though it would make them easier to sell into syndication. But since it's only three films, Disney may see the benefit of doing the OT.
That’s a pretty different situation though. We got remastered TOS and TNG because they were deemed popular enough and they didn’t sell all that well. I really doubt that they’re wanting to sink more into two shows that are viewed as less popular (I know DS9 especially has a following, and I’m starting to appreciate it more but doubt it would be a hot seller). It’s a pretty big commitment to ask them to remaster seven seasons that also likely need to have the effects re-done (as was the case with TNG).
Old 08-12-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

The people that are interested in the original unaltered trilogy will buy it in addition to whatever else they release.
At this point, I think the only people interested in the OOT are done buying endless rereleases.
Old 08-12-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
At this point, I think the only people interested in the OOT are done buying endless rereleases.
You don't think they'd buy 4k?
Old 08-12-19, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty much the opposite for me actually. Heck, I’ve only gotten one official copy of the trilogy at all. Got the 2004 DVD release as a birthday gift the year it released. I’m holding out for the unaltered Original Trilogy at this point. Never bought the 2006 DVDs with the unaltered trilogy as “bonus features” and never bought the Blu-ray releases (despite being tempted by them a few times).

Last edited by Mike86; 08-13-19 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That’s a pretty different situation though. We got remastered TOS and TNG because they were deemed popular enough and they didn’t sell all that well. I really doubt that they’re wanting to sink more into two shows that are viewed as less popular (I know DS9 especially has a following, and I’m starting to appreciate it more but doubt it would be a hot seller). It’s a pretty big commitment to ask them to remaster seven seasons that also likely need to have the effects re-done (as was the case with TNG).
DS9 and Voyager would actually require far more VFX replacement than TNG, because they had much more integration of primitive standard-def CGI that would need to be redone entirely. With TNG, most of the effects work was practical, models and optical composites that exist on film and could be recomposited at a higher resolution.

The restoration projects for DS9 and Voyager would be more work and more expensive, for two shows that are much less popular. Considering that even the more-popular TNG underperformed sales expectations, that investment is a hard sell for the company's shareholders.
Old 08-13-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

LOL at that cover for Empire, making it look like Boba Fett is one of the leads, instead of how he has only 4 lines/20 words in the entire movie.

But yeah, I have that complete special edition blu-ray deluxe set, don't need anything else, that is, unless they release the original original versions.
Old 08-13-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's just a repackaging to dump inventory before a complete saga set gets released in the near future, along with a 4K set. I wouldn't expect that set at the same time that The Rise of Skywalker hits home video, however. My guess is they'll release the final film in April or May of 2020, but hold off the new complete saga set until November.
I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time episodes 1-6 are getting released via Disney. The last time they were released was via FOX.

So I'm not sure if you can just call it a re-packaging for that. New menus would need to be made and we don't know what extra content they are using.

I mean are the releases for episodes 1-3 going to get the 2 hour plus documentaries on the making of them that was on the original FOX DVDs? Disney usually doesn't release DVDs and BDs with long documentaries and now most studios stopped producing them due to budget cuts in home video departments.
Old 08-13-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It’ll be interesting to see what Disney does as far as bonus material. That’s the one aspect where their releases are always lacking. I would imagine since the work is done they might just port over the documentaries for the prequels along with Empire of Dreams.

Also while I’m sort of doubting it I’d really like if the Fox fanfare was kept in place for the first six films. I know the digital releases omitted it, but that was also during a time where they had the film rights, but didn’t own Fox.
Old 08-13-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
DS9 and Voyager would actually require far more VFX replacement than TNG, because they had much more integration of primitive standard-def CGI that would need to be redone entirely. With TNG, most of the effects work was practical, models and optical composites that exist on film and could be recomposited at a higher resolution.

The restoration projects for DS9 and Voyager would be more work and more expensive, for two shows that are much less popular. Considering that even the more-popular TNG underperformed sales expectations, that investment is a hard sell for the company's shareholders.
Ah I see. I didn’t even realize that. I really don’t foresee a situation where either of them get remastered releases. I’d buy both, but it just seems like far too much of an investment for Paramount (or would it be CBS at this point)?
Old 08-13-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
It’ll be interesting to see what Disney does as far as bonus material. That’s the one aspect where their releases are always lacking. I would imagine since the work is done they might just port over the documentaries for the prequels along with Empire of Dreams.

Also while I’m sort of doubting it I’d really like if the Fox fanfare was kept in place for the first six films. I know the digital releases omitted it, but that was also during a time where they had the film rights, but didn’t own Fox.
Why is that? You'd think with the properties Disney has, it would be easiest for them to make super ultra special editions with tons of extras, and they just don't. I thought it was because they wanted people double dipping but if so they're playing the long game on a lot of their stuff.
Old 08-13-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is that? You'd think with the properties Disney has, it would be easiest for them to make super ultra special editions with tons of extras, and they just don't. I thought it was because they wanted people double dipping but if so they're playing the long game on a lot of their stuff.
It is weird. The only features Disney seems interested in are fluff pieces or stupid things like sing-a-longs. I haven’t even watched the features on any of the new Star Wars films so I can’t say what they’re like. Generally though features on Marvel releases aren’t that great. The weirder part is that while they do re-release things they normally don’t really up the features on the re-release. My guess is Disney has some philosophy that the magic of their films should speak for themselves and they don’t want people to be spoiled (not how I feel, but I could see the higher ups there thinking along those lines).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.