Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

So what's holding you back from 4K?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

So what's holding you back from 4K?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: So what's holding you back from 4K?

The "but 8K is coming" is one of the worst excuses for not getting 4K. Unless you're planning on either getting a 150" set or sitting three feet from your TV (or both), your eyes won't be able to distinguish between 4K and 8K. As most will tell you, the jump between 1080p and 4K isn't huge for human eyeballs (again, unless you have a really big screen or are sitting really close), with the HDR/Dolby Vision contrast jump the most noticeable thing as far as viewing goes.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who grabbed one of LG's last 4K models that included both HDR 10 and 3D. I plan to keep it until it dies on me. Sure, I'll probably get an 8K TV at that point, but only because it will be what the best TVs offer - not because 4K isn't "enough."
Old 06-13-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The "but 8K is coming" is one of the worst excuses for not getting 4K. Unless you're planning on either getting a 150" set or sitting three feet from your TV (or both), your eyes won't be able to distinguish between 4K and 8K. As most will tell you, the jump between 1080p and 4K isn't huge for human eyeballs (again, unless you have a really big screen or are sitting really close), with the HDR/Dolby Vision contrast jump the most noticeable thing as far as viewing goes.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones who grabbed one of LG's last 4K models that included both HDR 10 and 3D. I plan to keep it until it dies on me. Sure, I'll probably get an 8K TV at that point, but only because it will be what the best TVs offer - not because 4K isn't "enough."
I agree regarding film content but for gaming, the jump to 4k is very noticeable, IMO.
Old 06-13-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Most of my DVDs look great with this blu-ray player, the blu-rays look a little better (but the audio sucks).
What audio problems are you having?
Old 06-13-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Money and space. I have a perfectly functional Panasonic Plasma and an awesome 5.1 JBL/Infinity sound system (all legacy speakers), but once I experienced Dolby Cinema - I was like, if I can replicate a fraction of that experience at home then that would be awesome.

Also, buying 4K titles used on Redbox is a big incentive, but like I said, my priorities don't mesh with my wants right this second, but they may after summer.
Old 06-13-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

There are so many things competing for my money these days that upgrading to 4k isn't much of a priority. I like what I've seen of it, and if my current TV completely gave up on me, I'd consider a 4k. But to get rid of my perfectly good TV just for the resolution bump? Not worth it.
Old 06-13-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

The upgrade from watching VHS on a CRT to watching DVD on a Panasonic plasma was enough of a leap to make me want to spend the money on it. I don't want to spend money on each incremental improvement.

Watching movies is not a big part of my life. I bought hundreds of DVDs, and nearly all of them were watched only once or twice -- or never. I have about fifteen BDs because I learned my lesson. I considered upgrading my letter-boxed Hong Kong DVDs, then I remembered that I haven't watched Project A in ten years. Why bother?
Old 06-13-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’ve got 125” screen with a 1080p projector. I’m not to the point yet of upgrading my projector to 4K. I’d also have to upgrade my receiver.

Plus, my disc buying days are slowly dwindling as I do more and more digital rentals. I still buy the occasional Blu-Ray when it’s a movie I really want but for the most part it’s just rentals now.

Same here, except 135 inch screen for us. So between that and losing the ability to play the 100+ 3D movies we have is why I've been holding off.

Also I have kinda lost interest in picking up movies over the past year or so. I still go a little nuts around Black Friday and pick up 10 to 15 titles, but don't really pick up much throughout the rest of the year unless it's some sort of exclusive or Marvel/Disney title we were waiting for.

With three young kids, work, house responsibilities, life, etc. we just don't tend to rewatch a lot of movies. Generally we just check out new releases at the local library.

All of that being said, if anything pushes me to 4K, it will be the next generation of video game consoles.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 06-13-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-13-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I see a lot of comments about discs and potentially upgrading older discs. Do you folks use streaming services? I barely ever play discs these days but the 4k/HDR offered in Netflix, Amazon...etc are all excellent.

Even my wife who normally can never tell the difference mentioned that Designated Survivor looks much better this year. I had to explain it's because it's in 4K now.
Old 06-13-19, 11:19 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Same here, except 135 inch screen for us. So between that and losing the ability to play the 100+ 3D movies we have is why I've been holding off.
The 4K projectors still support 3D. I have my eye on upgrading to the Sony VPL-VW295ES if I can get it under $4k. Or I can wait until the new models come out in October and see if prices drop on the next model up.
Old 06-13-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I have been 4 K since last September. In my honest opinion it is OK but not really necessary. The original Predator is a great example. However if you look at recent movies in 4K vs. a blu that is where many will just shrug.

My receiver can handle the 4K but not Dolby Vision. So my question to those that have Dolby Vision vs. HDR can you even really tell?

So see here is the never ending battle. Do I upgrade my receiver to get the Dolby Vision?

At some point you need to be happy with what you have and not what you may be missing and not even notice.
Old 06-13-19, 12:30 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Can your display handle Dolby Vision? You could just get a 4K player with dual outputs and feed the video directly. I'm not planning on upgrading my receiver (Denon AVR 4308CI) until I really need to add the Atmos ceiling speakers, so I have to feed the video directly.
Old 06-13-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I have been 4 K since last September. In my honest opinion it is OK but not really necessary. The original Predator is a great example. However if you look at recent movies in 4K vs. a blu that is where many will just shrug.
New movies released on BD look WAY better than they did just a few years ago.
It's amazing how good they look now.
As one might expect, the technology is maturing.

Do I upgrade my receiver to get the Dolby Vision?
As I posted yesterday, it's NOT necessary to upgrade receivers to enjoy 4K UHD video.
All you need is an extra HDMI cable.

At some point you need to be happy with what you have and not what you may be missing and not even notice.
Humans are never satisfied...it's what makes us human.
Old 06-13-19, 12:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I have a 4K TV, but only because it was so cheap and I wanted a larger TV for the bedroom.

Not sure we’ve even watched actual 4K content on it to be honest.

I watch things for the content/story, and SD is fine. Hi-def adds a bit to the experience, but not much imo.
Old 06-13-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

When it's time to get another TV, I'll get 4k. The TV's I have and use work fine so I can't see putting the money down on another one right now. And they're not that old
My main TV is a 73" Sony with active 3D.
We have 3 others that are LCD TV's, I think 2 are 42" and one slightly bigger. And one of those is passive 3D And we have our first HD backlit 720p/1080i that really only gets used if we have younger relatives come over.

The wife has hinted that she'd like a bigger one in the bedroom.

Plus, back in March I just got eyeglasses for the first time in my life. I'm still around 20/30 and don't need them to drive, but I can tell a difference when I wear them. Things are clearer, so it's like getting 4k? My wife has bad eyesight, I have to read things to her if she's not wearing them when we watch TV. (even without my glasses I can read it)
Old 06-13-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Can your display handle Dolby Vision? You could just get a 4K player with dual outputs and feed the video directly. I'm not planning on upgrading my receiver (Denon AVR 4308CI) until I really need to add the Atmos ceiling speakers, so I have to feed the video directly.

Yes the TV can.

Hmmm never thought of getting just a 4k player. I'll look into the cost vs. the receiver upgrade.
Old 06-13-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes the TV can.

Hmmm never thought of getting just a 4k player. I'll look into the cost vs. the receiver upgrade.
I'm still using my old receiver (and will continue to until it dies) and connecting my 4K player through my TV's HDMI, and it works just fine. It's not the optimum version but I'm working with a limited space and it's still very effective

Last edited by DWilson; 06-13-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

So I'll ask here, since we're discussing dual HDMI: Is it possible to split HDMI on a device that has only one HDMI output, one to the TV and one to the non HDR receiver, or does the signal degrade?
Old 06-13-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
When it's time to get another TV, I'll get 4k. The TV's I have and use work fine so I can't see putting the money down on another one right now. And they're not that old

Plus, back in March I just got eyeglasses for the first time in my life. I'm still around 20/30 and don't need them to drive, but I can tell a difference when I wear them. Things are clearer, so it's like getting 4k? My wife has bad eyesight, I have to read things to her if she's not wearing them when we watch TV. (even without my glasses I can read it)
For me, it was not the detail as much as it was the HDR. As an old, old Comics collector, I'll put it this way: It's the difference between standard Comic Book color and "Computer Color", where the additional colors and shading can add extra dimension.
Old 06-13-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So I'll ask here, since we're discussing dual HDMI: Is it possible to split HDMI on a device that has only one HDMI output, one to the TV and one to the non HDR receiver, or does the signal degrade?
The signal won't degrade, but the splitter will need to be able to sync to both devices simultaneously. Many will only do one at a time, with a switch to choose which one you're using. You also run the risk of HDMI handshake problems. If the source doesn't receive go-ahead handshakes from both devices as well as from the splitter, it won't send a signal to any of them.
Old 06-13-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Both our living room and bedroom TVs are 4K and we do 4K streaming on both when possible, but the only 4K disc player is in the bedroom (XboxOneS) and just a regular Blu player in the living room.

Streaming is really the biggest thing, I'm buying fewer and fewer discs as time goes by. Some newer stuff like Solo or The Last Jedi I've bought 4K, but not really interested in much else.
Old 06-13-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to do the same for my receiver since it can't pass through 3D. It was a heck of a lot cheaper buying a slightly more expensive Blu Ray player than another $1K receiver.
Old 06-16-19, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

So who all is clamoring for 8K? The TVs are coming, I have no idea where the 8K material is going to come from though.
Old 06-16-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So who all is clamoring for 8K? The TVs are coming, I have no idea where the 8K material is going to come from though.
Mill Creek

Old 06-16-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Mill Creek

Old 06-16-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

They aren’t even doing 4K yet. Would be interesting to see any “budget” label put out something on the format.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.