HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray scratch

Old 04-02-19, 10:43 AM

Blu-Ray scratch

Hello to everyone. I'm new and I don't know if this is the right section to post on.
Well, I bought for the first time a Blu-Ray disk and I immediately noticed a weird sign. It looks like a scratch, but I think it is a manufacturing defect.
I haven't watched the movie entirely yet, I just tried to insert it in my PlayStation 4 and start it, but it seems it works fine (I watched some scenes, skipping the reproduction).
Do you think that it is a "dangerous" mark for my movie and it's likely that my console will incur difficulties in reproducing it for the whole duration?
I attached some pics of the scratch. Thank you in advice.

Old 04-02-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Blu-Ray scratch

IF the disk works, don't worry about it.
Old 04-02-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most Blu-ray players have some measure of error correction for dealing with small scratches or defects. Larger or deeper scratches could cause playback problems. The best thing to do is watch the movie and see what happens.
Old 04-02-19, 02:51 PM

Okay, thank you both!
Tomorrow I'll watch the movie and I'll keep you updated. I decided to ask a question in this forum because it appeared strange to me a thing like that and I was curious (and obviously to reassure me not having wasted my money )
Old 04-02-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it doesn't play right, definitely return or exchange it where you bought it.
Old 04-03-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have lots of Blu-rays with similar scratches that play just fine. If it were a DVD, you'd be in trouble.
Old 04-03-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the disc didn't contain any info on the inner ring portion?
Old 04-03-19, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yeah, I have lots of Blu-rays with similar scratches that play just fine. If it were a DVD, you'd be in trouble.
i donít understand how they can produce a disk in that condition... I mean, I have used CDs, DVDs etc. for years and Iíve never seen anything like that. Thatís strange. But I trust you I wonít have any problem
Old 04-03-19, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the disc didn't contain any info on the inner ring portion?
I donít really know. I searched for it but I only found technical information that I sincerely didnít understand. Maybe youíre right, but we need an expert opinion
Old 04-03-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lele1995 View Post

I donít really know. I searched for it but I only found technical information that I sincerely didnít understand. Maybe youíre right, but we need an expert opinion
Well you came to the wrong place
Old 04-03-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The HD-DVD department at Toshiba should be able to provide some info. Look them up.
Old 04-04-19, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If the OP is referring to that irregular mark around the hub, I don’t think that’s a scratch. It’s just a cosmetic blemish from the manufacturing process. I’ve seen it on numerous blu-rays and DVDs. It shouldn’t have any effect on playback, and probably won’t shorten the lefespan of the disc.

And there is no data in that part of the blu-ray. The data is in the area of the disc between those serial numbers and bar codes and the edge of the disc.
Old 04-04-19, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lele1995 View Post

i don’t understand how they can produce a disk in that condition... I mean, I have used CDs, DVDs etc. for years and I’ve never seen anything like that. That’s strange. But I trust you I won’t have any problem
As the above poster said, this one does look like a manufacturing flaw - probably a whole batch that came out like this. It almost looks like a coating defect and not a scratch (Blu-rays get a protective coating put over them to avoid scratching).
Old 04-04-19, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
It doesn't. Like CDs and DVDs, the inner ring has printed numbers (called a matrix) that identify the release. I've seen this manufacturing defect (not a scratch) on a few Blu-Rays before and it will play fine.
Old 04-05-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
As the above poster said, this one does look like a manufacturing flaw - probably a whole batch that came out like this. It almost looks like a coating defect and not a scratch (Blu-rays get a protective coating put over them to avoid scratching).
Agreed. The tough coating that's on Blu-rays is put on as a gel near the inner ring, and then the disc is spun really fast to disperse the gel to the outside edges. Once dispersed, it dries, and voila, you've got a protective coating. This just looks like the inside edge of the coating. Nothing to worry about whatsoever.