Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

4k transfers that are noticeably darker than BR counterparts

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that some of my 4k transfers on disc are considerably darker image than the blu ray!
has anyone else noticed this and is there a reason for it?
Thanks
Old 04-03-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 4k transfers that are noticeably darker than BR counterparts

I have seen some that are noticeably LIGHTER too.
Old 04-03-19, 11:41 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by papapauly
I have noticed that some of my 4k transfers on disc are considerably darker image than the blu ray!
has anyone else noticed this and is there a reason for it?
Thanks
Some can be darker because of the HDR. Make sure your enhanced HDMI is enabled if it doesn’t auto change and HDR settings are set up correctly.
Old 04-03-19, 12:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Galveston is unwatchable without excessively changing your brightness and contrast settings, and it's clear they simply fucked it up because the digital UHD version was supposedly fixed after a few days.

Watchmen also seemed pretty dark when I first popped it in, but it was when I first got my HDR TV... haven't tried it again since.

Most discs I've played appear fine, though.
Old 04-03-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing significant that decreased the entertainment value of watching the movie. I did notice a few with a more orange looking color pallet. I think it was one of the Jurassic Worlds it appeared they had more of a tan.
Old 04-04-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Some can be darker because of the HDR. Make sure your enhanced HDMI is enabled if it doesn’t auto change and HDR settings are set up correctly.
This. The inkier black levels and deeper colors/contrast makes things look "darker."
Old 04-04-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Make sure your enhanced HDMI is enabled if it doesn’t auto change and HDR settings are set up correctly.
I assume I'm getting the HDR, -the color values are quite different and more nuanced than the blu-rays. However, is there a way to be sure your "enhanced HDMI" is "enabled" and are there specific settings for HDR, -on my set you can turn on/or activate HDR for each HDMI port, but that's all I'm aware of. My 4K player came with a supposedly compatible cable, but when I used it the picture would cut to black every few seconds. I ended up using the cable I had been using on my Blu-ray player and it all seems fine. I always worry, though, if I'm doing things right. I have noticed the "darkness", -when I put in the accompanying Blu-ray the PQ seems like the contrast/brightness is artificially boosted compared to the 4K.
Old 04-04-19, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I assume I'm getting the HDR, -the color values are quite different and more nuanced than the blu-rays. However, is there a way to be sure your "enhanced HDMI" is "enabled" and are there specific settings for HDR, -on my set you can turn on/or activate HDR for each HDMI port, but that's all I'm aware of. My 4K player came with a supposedly compatible cable, but when I used it the picture would cut to black every few seconds. I ended up using the cable I had been using on my Blu-ray player and it all seems fine. I always worry, though, if I'm doing things right. I have noticed the "darkness", -when I put in the accompanying Blu-ray the PQ seems like the contrast/brightness is artificially boosted compared to the 4K.
Would need more information on what your setup is... TV model, player, receiver, etc.

You need to make sure you are using a high speed HDMI cable. A cheap Amazon Basic one is fine.

Last edited by dex14; 04-04-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-05-19, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Sounds like you're fine to me...if your cable wasn't compatible, you'd likely not get an image at all.
Old 04-05-19, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the info folks-
Old 04-05-19, 06:23 AM

Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what device would these settings be found?
Thanks
Old 04-05-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sounds like you're fine to me...if your cable wasn't compatible, you'd likely not get an image at all.
I've been working with calibration videos on you.tube this week and I'm a little annoyingly "hyper-aware" of PQ at the moment; I want to get to the point where I can just sit back and relax again.

The cable thing bothers me a little. The online company that sold me the player included a high-speed cable separately (it says high-speed on the cable); however, the picture kept breaking up every few seconds and I swapped out the older HDMI cable I'd been using on my old BD player and it seems fine. I tend to think, -as you're suggesting, -that either you get a picture or you don't, but I've got to wonder why the image cut to black every few seconds, -was the cable bad or was it my system. If the cable was just incompatible, what does that mean in regards to my system. It's $6 to throw an new Amazon cable at it, but I don't necessarily want to throw money down a hole.

I just haven't seen the night-and-day difference in the 4K discs that reviews led me to expect. I can see the difference in the color palette (which I assume is the HDR element) which gives scenes some additional depth and texture but I haven't seen the bold "10 times the detail" image that would make me charge into replacing my discs.

Note: I did some extensive reading of the Q+A on the Amazon page of their high-speed cables, and many had the same problem I had and it might be a compatibility issue (possibly relating to the newest copyguard tech).

Last edited by DWilson; 04-05-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by papapauly

Pardon my lack of knowledge here but what device would these settings be found?
Thanks
Your TV.
Old 04-05-19, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But if he is using an older, standard, HDMI cable it could be contributing. It should be high speed.
Old 04-05-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But if he is using an older, standard, HDMI cable it could be contributing. It should be high speed.
As I noted above in an update, it looks like there may be an issue with the high-speed cable I was sent. I've been reading about HDMI 2.2 or 2.0 which has a copyguard that causes the video problem I experienced with the cable sent with the player. It seems I might have this problem with any high-speed cable I buy, -the product information on Amazon seemed to reflect this.
Old 04-05-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're way off.
Tell us EXACTLY what models of player, TV, receiver or pre/pro you have.
Old 04-05-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by melasnus
You're way off.
Tell us EXACTLY what models of player, TV, receiver or pre/pro you have.
I've got a Samsung 60" 4K TV from 2016 and a Samsung 4K player, which was necessitated by my older non-HDMI receiver (but I'm really good with the sound quality for my living situation). I was in Wal-Mart today and I broke down and bought a high-speed Monster cable (it was only a few bucks more than Amazon, but I could easily return it if it didn't work). I did not have the same problem I had with the cable that was sent with my player, -it's playing. It seems better, though not a dramatic difference. I was kind of hoping for an on-screen message that said, "Hey, Dummy, you're actually doing it right!"
Old 04-06-19, 08:52 AM

Thanks again for all the input folks-