HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Finally Jumped on the Digital Copy Train!

Old 03-05-19, 04:36 PM

Finally Jumped on the Digital Copy Train!

So I have been collecting movies (DVDs, Blu Rays, 4K and even VHS tapes) for years now, and some of my Blu Rays I have had since they first came out and I have never used any of my digital codes. I've always been a bit more of a physical copy person but my boyfriend and I were talking the other day after we purchased The Little Mermaid in 4K the other day and he said we should use the digital copy codes so that we have the option to watch movies wherever or whenever we want without always needing to put a disc in. So a few days ago I started going through all my movies to check for digital copies and it has become my new little obsession to put in digital copy codes and redeem them. I'm still planning on being a physical copy person but I definitely like the accessibility of the digital copies!

I also came across this forum when trying to read up on digital copies and was excited to find a whole forum dedicated to movies so I had to join!
Old 03-05-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Finally Jumped on the Digital Copy Train!

Originally Posted by Ragnbogen View Post
So I have been collecting movies (DVDs, Blu Rays, 4K and even VHS tapes) for years now, and some of my Blu Rays I have had since they first came out and I have never used any of my digital codes.
And I thought we had a newbie that was going to give their Digital codes away in the Digital Codes for Free thread.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...s-free-48.html

Last edited by kahuna; 03-05-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
And I thought we had a newbie that was going to give their Digital codes away in the Digital Codes for Free thread.
Haha, I am sorry to disappoint! I did come across the thread though and I am keeping my eye on it!
Old 03-07-19, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I redeemed the first digital codes that came with my discs, mainly just to have material to play on Vudu to test out its quality without having to rent something. I found I never used them for any other purpose though so I've been trading them for other movies whenever I can.
Old 03-07-19, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

I find digital movies to be incredible convenient.

They don't take up space on the shelf.

I can load a movie on my Apple TV and be watching it really quickly. No loading of a disc. No previews. No FBI warnings.

Digital movies always start off at the last point played. It's hit and miss with blu-rays.
Old 03-07-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shooba View Post

I can load a movie on my Apple TV and be watching it really quickly. No loading of a disc. No previews. No FBI warnings.

Digital movies always start off at the last point played. It's hit and miss with blu-rays.
That's the one thing I despise about Blu--it seldom keeps your place and many don't even have bookmarks, which are better than nothing. With having three young kids, I rarely get to sit down and watch a movie start to finish.

I recently started inputting all my codes after all these years as well, though I had given a lot away over the years, sadly.
Old 03-07-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My situation is similar to the OP. Resisted digital copies, didn't redeem them, sold them. Then I started redeeming a few because they weren't worth anything for resale, and started buying stuff on Vudu (on sale), and even did a few disk-to-digital conversions. It is nice being able to browse a large portion of my library from virtually any TV and not have to fool with a disk. I do still have the disks as backup and because they're not "worth" anything but if somethings on digital, I usually watch it that way.
Automatic bookmarking is a great feature, especially with tv series. Sucks having to skip through the four eps you've already watched on disk, especially when they're not named so I don't really even know where I am.
Old 03-07-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ragnbogen View Post
Haha, I am sorry to disappoint! I did come across the thread though and I am keeping my eye on it!
No disappointment here. I sold off my 1500+ dvds before I jumped on the HD-DVD (big mistake) & blu-ray. In the beginning they had those stupid Digital Copy dvds where you could redeem to iTunes
or a windows PC. Never had a apple device & when I did redeem one to windows the SD quality sucked big time. I ended up throwing a bunch of them away. Years later I read if I went the iTunes route.
The SD iTunes would usually eventually upgrade to HD. How stupid was I. Of course I now have Itunes on my PC only because it's linked up with Moviesanywhere app. Of course for now only place to
watch a movie is on my PC.

Old 03-08-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Just wait til they start showing unskippable previews before your digital movies. Universal titles already have FBI warnings at the beginning too.
Old 03-08-19, 11:19 AM
Cool New Member

Years later I read if I went the iTunes route.The SD iTunes would usually eventually upgrade to HD.
SD iTunes movies have never been upgraded to HD that I'm aware of. They did upgrade HD movies to 4K at no cost, however.
Old 03-08-19, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I redeemed the first digital codes that came with my discs, mainly just to have material to play on Vudu to test out its quality without having to rent something. I found I never used them for any other purpose though so I've been trading them for other movies whenever I can.
Trading seems like a very good idea, I have a few that I probably won't end up holding on too and even have a few duplicates that I have no use for. But I do like the idea of having access to some movies digitally it just seems easier then always popping in a disc, or if I want to watch a movie on a laptop when I don't have access to my movies.

Originally Posted by Shooba View Post

That's how I am starting to feel as well! I own a lot of movies and they take up a lot of shelf space, which I don't mind but sometimes it gets a little overwhelming with how much space they take up. I still plan on buying physical copies, but I might start limiting it a bit more and start getting more digital copies!

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
My situation is similar to the OP. Resisted digital copies, didn't redeem them, sold them. Then I started redeeming a few because they weren't worth anything for resale, and started buying stuff on Vudu (on sale), and even did a few disk-to-digital conversions. It is nice being able to browse a large portion of my library from virtually any TV and not have to fool with a disk. I do still have the disks as backup and because they're not "worth" anything but if somethings on digital, I usually watch it that way.
Automatic bookmarking is a great feature, especially with tv series. Sucks having to skip through the four eps you've already watched on disk, especially when they're not named so I don't really even know where I am.
That's exactly how I feel now, it is nice having a bunch of my movies available in a digital library. I still enjoy owning the physical copies, but being able to turn on my TV and go to the Movies Anywhere or Vudu app and just watch a movie from there instantly is really nice!

No disappointment here. I sold off my 1500+ dvds before I jumped on the HD-DVD (big mistake) & blu-ray. In the beginning they had those stupid Digital Copy dvds where you could redeem to iTunes
or a windows PC. Never had a apple device & when I did redeem one to windows the SD quality sucked big time. I ended up throwing a bunch of them away. Years later I read if I went the iTunes route.
The SD iTunes would usually eventually upgrade to HD. How stupid was I. Of course I now have Itunes on my PC only because it's linked up with Moviesanywhere app. Of course for now only place to
watch a movie is on my PC.
I have several movies where the Digital Copy is a disk version and they are rather irritating to deal with, sadly they all still only redeem as SD and show up as SD on Movies Anywhere and Vudu as well. I would love if they upgraded to HD though!