Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection BD announced by Universal

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-09-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bob Furmanek and the crew at the 3-D Film Archive have painstakingly restored (and corrected errors on) the 3D for Revenge of the Creature--should look even better than its original 3D release!

Old 06-10-18, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection BD announced by Universal

I've been waiting for this news. Can't wait.

That just leaves Invisible Man, right?
Old 06-10-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Invisible Man franchise being released the same day.

These are both my favorites of the Uni Monster properties, so I'm greatly looking forward to finally having them on Bd.

The Creature set is doubly enticing. Not only is Revenge finally going to be able to be seen in 3D for the first time in 63 years, but both it and Walks... will finally be presented in their proper ARs.

Bobs close participation in Revenge is also something to cheer about.

Between these and the releases of The Changeling and the Night Stalker/Strangler, I'm already A-OK with how this Halloweens Bd releases have panned out. Anything else is just gravy at this point.
Old 06-10-18, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Revenge of the Creature was shown on TV in red/blue 3D in the 80s, it was the first 3D movie I saw as a matter of fact although it didn't look very good in that format. I guess this'll be a double dip on the first movie for me as I bought the Monsters set mainly to get that, though it was put out on its own later. Will have to hear if they put these out individually before jumping on this one (I should get the third movie for completeness sake even though it's only in 2D.)
Old 06-10-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie is one of the all-time favs for anyone who grew up in the 60s.
It was constantly shown on the Boob Tube as a Saturday afternoon feature.
Lots of good memories for me.

Although I do have the regular BD, I just might pick this one up.
Old 06-10-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice! The question will be whether I wait for the prices to go down like they did with the previous sets.
Old 06-11-18, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a huge fan of the Universal Monsters, though I did pick up the Alex Ross steelbooks, which was actually the first time I bought any of these films. They're very low priority for me, but I couldn't resist those gorgeous Alex Ross paintings.

I might pick this up, though, as I've always had a soft spit for the "Creature." Great design on him, and he's sort of sci-fi, sort of Lovecraft.
Old 06-11-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After watching The Shape of Water, I can say you're not the only one with a soft spot for the Big Gilled-Guy.
Old 06-11-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I told you guys this was coming, just didn't have a release date yet! Expect another collection with the other missing BD titles as well.
Old 06-11-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Expect another collection with the other missing BD titles as well.

What titles are those?
Old 06-11-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember watching these movies.

I'm intrigued.
Old 06-11-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As someone who grew up only seeing the stills from Creature Walks Among Us with the Creature in mid transition, I was never at all interested in seeing the actual film. A big appeal of the Creature all along for me was his look, with the scads of interesting reptilian detail.

Smoothing most of that away to make him look more human had no appeal to me whatsoever.

When I finally bothered to watch it after getting the first legacy set over a decade ago, I was greatly surprised to find a movie that was every bit as cool to watch as the first two (if you were a fan).
What it lacked in visual aesthetics for the monster, it made up for in terms of advancing the Creature's story. So cool to see a film (and series) that, unlike the Mummy films with Chaney Jr, didn't just regurgitate the same thing over and over with different leads and a different setting.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Revenge of the Creature was shown on TV in red/blue 3D in the 80s, it was the first 3D movie I saw as a matter of fact although it didn't look very good in that format. I guess this'll be a double dip on the first movie for me as I bought the Monsters set mainly to get that, though it was put out on its own later. Will have to hear if they put these out individually before jumping on this one (I should get the third movie for completeness sake even though it's only in 2D.)
Now that you mention it, I do have some vague memories of a UHF channel broadcast of a '50's 3D movie that I think was a nationally syndicated event.
I was remembering it as the first Creature film, but now think it might in fact have been the sequel. I seem to recall you had to get the 3D glasses at 7-11 or someplace like that. I don't think I bothered watching the broadcast though.
I'd seen an anaglyph (red/blue) showing of the first film at the city historical museum in the early 80's and walked away not too impressed with the effect.

Pretty amazing what enthusiasts have access to now for home use.
Old 06-11-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post

What titles are those?
The Invisible Man set, which is also on the way.
Old 06-12-18, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post

Now that you mention it, I do have some vague memories of a UHF channel broadcast of a '50's 3D movie that I think was a nationally syndicated event.
I was remembering it as the first Creature film, but now think it might in fact have been the sequel. I seem to recall you had to get the 3D glasses at 7-11 or someplace like that. I don't think I bothered watching the broadcast though.
I'd seen an anaglyph (red/blue) showing of the first film at the city historical museum in the early 80's and walked away not too impressed with the effect.

Pretty amazing what enthusiasts have access to now for home use.
Your memories are correct. It was a syndicated event between 7-11 and the distributor. 1982. There were three events co-sponsored with 7-11. Revenge of the Creature, Hondo and The Mask.