Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

BLACK PANTHER: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Black Panther [SteelBook] [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray] [Only @ Best Buy] [2018]

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-p...?skuId=6198915

Spoiler:
Black Panther [SteelBook] [Blu-ray] [Only @ Best Buy] [2018]

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-p...?skuId=6198914

Marvel's Black Panther Target Exclusive (Blu-ray + Digital)

Spoiler:

https://www.target.com/p/marvel-s-bl...l/-/A-53334446
Old 02-16-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: BLACK PANTHER: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray

Steelbook reminds me of The Wolverine:

Old 02-16-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, they are down to one disc now on blu ray? They might as well at least continue to toss in the DVD.
Old 02-16-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Saw it today. Wake me up when these come out in June.

I’ll likely get the 4K UHD
Old 02-16-18, 11:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

4K all the way. Really fun movie, this will get some good replay.
Old 02-17-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, so whatever normal UHD release there is will be a purchase for me.
Old 02-18-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/black-.../11690947.html

Another import for me- guess I should be glad that I at least still have that option. Saw the trailer in 3D prior to Last Jedi and it looked great (it had someone doing a backflip right out of the screen), won't be bothering with this in theaters though. Still gotta watch all the MCU movies at home again from the start in the correct order.
Old 02-18-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

$5 giftcard with a Black Panther preorder

Marvel's Black Panther Target Exclusive (Blu-ray + Digital)
https://www.target.com/p/marvel-s-bl...46#lnk=sametab
Old 02-18-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

4K Steelbook for me. I have a Best Buy exclusive Steelbook for every MCU entry since Avengers (except Iron Man 3, which never got one at Best Buy). Not stopping yet.
Old 02-19-18, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
4K Steelbook for me. I have a Best Buy exclusive Steelbook for every MCU entry since Avengers (except Iron Man 3, which never got one at Best Buy). Not stopping yet.
Same here except I also don't have Thor the Dark World b/c I didn't buy that one for like a year and just picked up a cheap used copy of it.
Old 02-20-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Damn, they are down to one disc now on blu ray? They might as well at least continue to toss in the DVD.
I really hope it's just the exclusives that have gone down to 1 disc, but I doubt it. I've said before that I'm one of the few that still makes use of the DVD and this back & forth game that Disney does with the combo-pack/non-combo pack releasing is infuriating.
Old 02-20-18, 07:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts

locked in the Zavvi 3D Steel, bc who gives a fuck at this point. 3D or bust!
Old 02-20-18, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
3D or bust!
Can I borrow that one?
Old 02-20-18, 11:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

You people holding strong to 3D sound a lot like those of us who kept buying HD DVDs right up until the day Warner Bros made the big switch to Blu-ray only.
Old 02-21-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I get fans of 3D talking about where to buy those releases internationally, but I hope we don't continue to see people just complaining about it in every thread.
Old 02-21-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Fuck 3D and fuck the glasses that come with it.

I'll be buying Black Panther on plain 4K thank you very much.
Old 02-21-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I get fans of 3D talking about where to buy those releases internationally, but I hope we don't continue to see people just complaining about it in every thread.
The only ones I'm kinda bummed about are the animated Disney & Pixar releases. Those usually had stellar 3D transfers. The only Marvel 3D release I've been impressed with is Dr. Strange. So honestly I don't care as much about Marvel cutting the 3D cord.

Honest question, did anyone actually see Black Panther in 3D at the theater? Were the effects honestly worth the effort?
Old 02-21-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm a 3D proponent, but I'll admit that I've grown tired of the ways that some people bring up the 3D issue.

I know I'll end up importing the 3D of this, and we all know where we can get it if interested.
Old 02-21-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Honest question, did anyone actually see Black Panther in 3D at the theater? Were the effects honestly worth the effort?
I’ve mentioned in the movie board that the (Brief) waterfall scenery In the 2nd challenge was awesome with the 3D.

In regards to my post earlier in this thread, I see that Coco doesn’t have problems of continuing with the Standard combo-pack. So maybe it’s a Marvel Studios Thing?
Old 02-21-18, 07:38 PM

You people holding strong to 3D sound a lot like those of us who kept buying HD DVDs right up until the day Warner Bros made the big switch to Blu-ray only.
Not the same thing, since Blu-Ray does exactly the same thing HD-DVD did, and arguably better. If 3D Blu-Ray goes away completely, how else am I going to be able to watch 3D at home?

Who's complaining? It's annoying to have to import this one, but still better than not being able to get it at all. (Though the 3D is my main reason for wanting to see this movie. As I said, the trailer looked pretty good.) Were you around when some titles got announced for release only in pan and scan? People complained about that (it was almost a given that they were going to), and for good reason. Thankfully that's not a problem anymore.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 02-21-18 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Who's complaining?
You, for one.
Old 02-22-18, 11:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Not the same thing, since Blu-Ray does exactly the same thing HD-DVD did, and arguably better.
Not all BD are region free.

If 3D Blu-Ray goes away completely, how else am I going to be able to watch 3D at home?
Don't some TVs have a 'fake' 3D option, where you can turn any 2D content into a 3D image? I think my brother's Samsung TV does that. As I recall, the effect was about as good as most 3D post-conversions of 2D-filmed movies anyway
Or, you can watch the 3D titles you already own Those aren't going to disappear, and I'm sure you'll have multiple 3D BD players in storage for years.

Who's complaining? It's annoying to have to import this one, but still better than not being able to get it at all. (Though the 3D is my main reason for wanting to see this movie. As I said, the trailer looked pretty good.) Were you around when some titles got announced for release only in pan and scan? People complained about that (it was almost a given that they were going to), and for good reason. Thankfully that's not a problem anymore.
There's a number of BD releases that are "scope" movies cropped to 16x9, or even 1.85:1 cropped to 16x9. I have a handful of the former, and it's far more annoying than the latter, but both are still annoying. Some "scope" movies are opened up instead of cropped but it's still lame.

Anyway... I didn't mean to derail the thread with my comment about HD DVD. Just thought the mindset was similar, since I personally went through that with HD DVD, so my comment was made in jest.

Maybe a "Where to get ____ in 3D Blu-ray" all-encompassing thread might be best for those who are always after 3D copies. Not proposing a rule or anything... just a suggestion. You seem to care more about the availability of any 3D movie on 3D than the actual content of the movie itself (not a dig, just an observation), so a dedicated thread might be more productive.
Old 02-22-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Not all BD are region free.

Don't some TVs have a 'fake' 3D option, where you can turn any 2D content into a 3D image? I think my brother's Samsung TV does that. As I recall, the effect was about as good as most 3D post-conversions of 2D-filmed movies anyway
Or, you can watch the 3D titles you already own Those aren't going to disappear, and I'm sure you'll have multiple 3D BD players in storage for years.

There's a number of BD releases that are "scope" movies cropped to 16x9, or even 1.85:1 cropped to 16x9. I have a handful of the former, and it's far more annoying than the latter, but both are still annoying. Some "scope" movies are opened up instead of cropped but it's still lame.

Anyway... I didn't mean to derail the thread with my comment about HD DVD. Just thought the mindset was similar, since I personally went through that with HD DVD, so my comment was made in jest.

Maybe a "Where to get ____ in 3D Blu-ray" all-encompassing thread might be best for those who are always after 3D copies. Not proposing a rule or anything... just a suggestion. You seem to care more about the availability of any 3D movie on 3D than the actual content of the movie itself (not a dig, just an observation), so a dedicated thread might be more productive.
The TV conversion option is not as good as a real conversion, but I'm sure you already knew that (or you should at least). And I don't think we need another separate 3D thread just for that. I think it would be fine if people simply posted the link and art and didn't include a bunch of needless commentary.
Old 02-22-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Really? Because you constantly complain about it.

Anyway, I don't care when people discuss when preorders or links to import the 3D versions from a different region. That's perfectly relevant. But there's more then a few threads that have the typical complaining and whining because whatever studio isn't releasing 3D in the US anymore as though it's some big surprise or shock.
Old 02-22-18, 03:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
The TV conversion option is not as good as a real conversion, but I'm sure you already knew that (or you should at least).
Yeah, that's why I used the . As I recall, the effect was ok, but not terrible by any means. I didn't try it out extensively, though.

And I don't think we need another separate 3D thread just for that. I think it would be fine if people simply posted the link and art and didn't include a bunch of needless commentary.
I think what you're saying is fine. What I meant was to have one thread specifically for all 3D BD hunting, since it seems to be a specific handful that absolutely must have 3D (which is fine. I'm in the boat now where I'd rather just focus on 4K discs, and there's a good thread for that)

Anyway yeah... Black Panther was good y'all. I'll pick up the 4K when it's on sale, even though that steelbook is tempting

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.