Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K Blu-ray gets released on 2/28/2023. It includes the theatrical cut of Rocky IV, as well as Rocky vs Drago: The Ultimate Director's Cut. For completionists this sadly does not include Rocky V or Rocky Balboa.

The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (01-16-23)
Old 01-15-23, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
Re: Rocky: The Knockout Collection 4K Blu-ray

Didn't fall for it with Star Trek and won't here.
The following 2 users liked this post by stvn1974:
Spiderbite (01-16-23), ViewAskewbian (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I know the Rocky Balboa bluray was a Sony release so it might be a rights issue why it's not included. It makes no sense why 5 isn't included with this set
Old 01-16-23, 10:41 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I know the Rocky Balboa bluray was a Sony release so it might be a rights issue why it's not included. It makes no sense why 5 isn't included with this set
Posted in the UHD thread:
Originally Posted by dex14
This is what someone said on the other forum:
MGM had scanned the OCN for the theatrical cut of Rocky V. Stallone wanted to work on a recut of V and got MGM to find elements to most of the scenes shot and trimmed in the final version. His recut of V isn't finished yet but news of release dates will drop by the time it's finished.

Rocky Balboa was shot 35mm but edited and finished 2k (one scene at the end was shot digital). They were about to finalize a 4k HDR rebuild of the theatrical cut (with that one ending scene upscaled from the DI) until Stallone insisted on making a new cut with the alternate ending and other unused stuff MGM found.
Old 01-16-23, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Wow that's interesting. I look forward to seeing the new cuts of both movies.
Old 01-16-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Rocky V is pretty terrible. So bad that I’m not sure how a recut version could really improve it.
Old 01-16-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'd like to have the series in 4K, but I'm going to hold out. It would stupid to purchase that collection right now with 2 movies missing. And it's not something I absolutely have to have right now. I still have my BD collection from FOX that has all 6 movies and the movies are also on the new MGM +
Old 01-16-23, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Eh, I'm not OCD, so box set uniformity means shit to me.
Old 01-16-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the new Rocky V will be a producer's cut, or is it a posthumous restoration of what John G. Avildsen intended (including the ending where Rocky dies during the street fight)?

As for Rocky Balboa, was there a third ending? Because the alternate ending was rightly deleted (it was poetic to see Rocky lose by split decision, and it would have strained credulity to see him win).

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll buy this box set and both those alternate cuts (even though I hate Rocky V) because I'm such a Rocky fan.
JeremyM (01-29-23)
Old 01-16-23, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Eh, I'm not OCD, so box set uniformity means shit to me.
I'm not OCD either, but I'm not sure there is value getting this right now. And this also happened with Star Trek getting the 4 movie set and a few months later the complete 6 movie set came out.

Unless you're a huge fan and really want to watch the new 4K picture right away. I just don't see any need to rush for me.
Old 01-17-23, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not OCD either, but I'm not sure there is value getting this right now. And this also happened with Star Trek getting the 4 movie set and a few months later the complete 6 movie set came out.

Unless you're a huge fan and really want to watch the new 4K picture right away. I just don't see any need to rush for me.
I bought that ST set because the price went even lower by the time the latter ST 4K discs came out. It was worth it and I did save some money on it overall, uniformity be damned. Hopefully this Rocky set will come down in price a bit more - it already has once. I'll get the latter two when they're released, as well.
Old 01-18-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So the new Rocky V will be a producer's cut, or is it a posthumous restoration of what John G. Avildsen intended (including the ending where Rocky dies during the street fight)?
That ending was never actually shot. It was in the script and then Stallone got a lot of "don't kill Rocky!" comments from fans, and the studio pressured them into letting the character live.
Old 01-19-23, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Rocky V is pretty terrible. So bad that I’m not sure how a recut version could really improve it.
Yeah I don't know the big too do about Rocky 5 or Rocky 6.
Would people complain if Hellraiser 5 and 6 weren't part of a Hellraiser 4k box set?
Old 01-19-23, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Rocky Balboa is in no way comparable to a 6th Hellraiser movie:

Old 01-19-23, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rocky Balboa is fantastic and probably my favorite Rocky movie. Rocky V, on the other hand, is terrible.

The only good thing about Rocky V is that it was so bad that Stallone couldn’t let Rocky go out that way so he made Rocky Balboa.
Old 01-19-23, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I bought Rocky V when it first was on laserdisc and watched it once and not again(until blu ray).
Old 01-19-23, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I just hope Stallone doesn't replace his son in Rocky V with Hayden Christensen.
Old 01-19-23, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Well, great movies and worth a view in 4K.
Old 01-20-23, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That ending was never actually shot. It was in the script and then Stallone got a lot of "don't kill Rocky!" comments from fans, and the studio pressured them into letting the character live.
Oh. I always assumed it was shot and then vaulted. Hmm, I wonder what Sly would change then. Is there a ton of alternate footage where Rocky doesn't behave out of character by neglecting his family in favor of some boxing protege?
Old 01-26-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Oh. I always assumed it was shot and then vaulted. Hmm, I wonder what Sly would change then. Is there a ton of alternate footage where Rocky doesn't behave out of character by neglecting his family in favor of some boxing protege?
Screen Rant did a rundown of the deleted scenes a few years back:

Every Difference In Rocky V's Lost Director's Cut (screenrant.com)
Old 01-26-23, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I just hope Stallone doesn't replace his son in Rocky V with Hayden Christensen.
Old 01-29-23, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

I know Stallone wanted to do an extended cut of Rocky Balboa shortly after release, but then decided he liked it as it was once he started to get positive feedback on the film and had re-watched it a number of times. I know he discusses it during his commentary but I can't recall if he was still proceeding with the new cut when he recorded it or not. Regardless I don't see a need and especially don't see a need to use the alternate ending--but I'll still watch it anyway.

Rocky V could likely be improved on the margins by using Conti's score and so on, but tough to see it improving significantly.
Old 01-29-23, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Screen Rant did a rundown of the deleted scenes a few years back:

Every Difference In Rocky V's Lost Director's Cut (screenrant.com)
Interesting. I wasn't aware Avildsen had released a "bootleg" director's cut. I'm guessing Stallone would nix the scene of Little Marie as a homeless prostitute, given it would conflict with how he meets her in Rocky Balboa. Unless there's an alternate version of their first meeting in the second flick where, instead of not having seen her since Rocky, he hasn't seen her since the director's cut of Rocky V.

Speaking of Little Marie, why wasn't she so much as mentioned in Creed?
Old 01-31-23, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I know Stallone wanted to do an extended cut of Rocky Balboa shortly after release, but then decided he liked it as it was once he started to get positive feedback on the film and had re-watched it a number of times. I know he discusses it during his commentary but I can't recall if he was still proceeding with the new cut when he recorded it or not. Regardless I don't see a need and especially don't see a need to use the alternate ending--but I'll still watch it anyway.
Rocky Balboa is my favorite Rocky movie but the one small change I’d make is to the ending. I would have ended the movie on the fade-to-black shot of Rocky’s hand reaching out to his fans after the fight instead of the cemetery scene. If they wanted Rocky to give one last talk to Adrian then I would have moved that scene up to before the fight and had Rocky talking to her about preparing to go into the ring again one last time.
JeremyM (02-01-23)
Old 02-01-23, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Interesting. I wasn't aware Avildsen had released a "bootleg" director's cut. I'm guessing Stallone would nix the scene of Little Marie as a homeless prostitute, given it would conflict with how he meets her in Rocky Balboa. Unless there's an alternate version of their first meeting in the second flick where, instead of not having seen her since Rocky, he hasn't seen her since the director's cut of Rocky V.

Speaking of Little Marie, why wasn't she so much as mentioned in Creed?
I know they said they wanted Rocky to be pretty much alone for Creed which is why Paulie was gone and it was portrayed that he had drifted apart from his son after they had grown close again in Balboa.

Funnily enough the hostess at his restaurant in Creed II is the same actress/character, Isabel, that was in Rocky Balboa. So maybe Marie left after Isabel returned from maternity leave...

I always loved how Balboa had the message that you didn't have to be a superstar boxer to be a winner--you could be a hostess, or a good kid like Steps (every other movie would have portrayed him as a thug who Rocky helps turn around), or someone quitting a job where they weren't happy like Junior, and so on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.