Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Finished w/ Physical Media?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy Finished w/ Physical Media?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Re: Best Buy Finished w/ Physical Media?

The Shout/Scream pricing seems to be such a no-go that bestbuy.com doesn't even carry those titles, which makes it that less likely that they'd carry 'em in-store. At least, not the recent ones I spotchecked: The Manitou, Perfect Blue (distributing for GKIDS), Valentine, The Deadly Mantis... I did notice Valentine: The Dark Avenger available for preorder, though, so I guess it's not a blanket thing.

Best Buy does occasionally get in some of those cult titles. I picked up The Gate in-store a couple years ago, anyway.
Old 04-01-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Best Buy does occasionally get in some of those cult titles. I picked up The Gate in-store a couple years ago, anyway.
Yup! In the last 2 years, Best Buy has gotten quite a few of the Vestron Titles in-store, even having a specific In-Store & Online sale at one time as well.

Out of the entire Vestron catalog, I've seen some Best Buy stores carry (at one time) at least half of the titles available.
Old 04-04-19, 09:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

It used to take me 20 minutes to browse Target's video section, now it takes about 3 minutes. Our Best Buy still has quite a bit of media, I can still spend 20 to 30 minutes browsing videos in there. It's almost not worth it for me to visit Target anymore, Walmart has better prices on most other stuff anyway, especially media, and that's saying a lot because Walmart doesn't seem to want to compete with anyone anymore. Best buy's prices are still higher than I'd like but every once in awhile they surprise me.
Old 10-12-23, 01:30 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

BB to end physical media sales in 2024.

All right, folks... we’ve got a little bit of a whopper for you today. And so as not to bury the lede, let’s get right to it...

The Digital Bits has learned from industry sources—and we’ve confirmed it with multiple sources now—that Best Buy plans to exit the physical media business for good next year, possibly as soon as the end of Q1 2024.

This includes not just their in-store Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD sales, which the retailer has been gradually phasing out for a couple of years now in their many store locations nationwide, but online sales as well. This means no more Best Buy-exclusive Steelbook titles, and no more titles from Best Buy period.

The fact that Best Buy is discontinuing physical media sales in their retail locations should come as no surprise; anyone who’s visited a Best Buy store location on a Tuesday recently will be all too aware that the retailer’s disc sections keep getting moved around and have gotten smaller and smaller. Our own experience here at The Bits is that some store locations don’t even bother to stock new-release titles on the sales floor anymore—even their exclusive ones. More than once, in their Southern California locations, I’ve had to ask for the titles and wait while a clerk checks the storeroom.

But the idea that Best Buy would discontinue online sales too comes as a bit of a surprise... though perhaps it shouldn’t. We’ve noted in recent months that Paramount has quietly shifted their Blu-ray and 4K Steelbook exclusive titles—titles that would normally have been released at Best Buy—to Amazon instead. And it seems very likely that other studios will follow Paramount’s lead in the months ahead. [Read on here...]

Some of you may recall a story that my old friend TK Arnold, over at Media Play News, shared back in August (click here for that), which suggested that Walmart was in talks with Studio Distribution Services (SDS) about having SDS manage parts of the retailer’s own physical media operation, including shipping and distribution.

Walmart is already the largest retail seller of Blu-ray, DVD and 4K titles—larger even than Amazon—with over 45% market share. With Best Buy throwing in the towel, that leaves only Target and Amazon as serious competition in the physical media space here in the States. Amazon is certainly staying in that space for the long-haul, but Target stores too have scaled back their physical media sales in recent years. So it seems logical that these two pieces of news—Best Buy bowing out of the business and Walmart looking to upgrade or make more efficient their own—are not unrelated.

In any case, this is certainly a significant development. But while it obviously isn’t good news, no one should rush to the conclusion that this spells the end of physical media. The disc business is definitely no longer what it was, even five or six years ago. And the Golden Age of DVD and Blu-ray that so many of us remember fondly (a period that runs from 1997 to 2012–13) is long gone.

Still, the indie studios and distributors have built a thriving business—though one with narrow profit margins—by catering to diehard fans and collectors. And virtually all of the major Hollywood studios now recognize—or have begun to—that the disc business can still be a reliable source of revenue, even as streaming profits remain elusive and the theatrical business appears to be in decline.

As I said a few years ago, and have said many times since, physical media will likely continue to be viable through the end of the decade. But there is no doubt that times have changed, and it has most definitely become a niche market for collectors, not unlike the LaserDisc era back in the 1990s.

So our advice to disc fans continues to be this: Buy the titles you want while you still can, because gone are the days when the studios are going to keep releasing these titles on disc forever. Support physical media in every way you can, knowing that 4K Ultra HD is likely to be the last physical media format that comes to market. And enjoy your favorite movies and TV series on Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K UHD for as long as they last.

Back with more tomorrow. Stay tuned...
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/101223-1100
Old 10-12-23, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

Can’t wait for them to go out of business now. Haven’t had any reason to go in their stores much since they started reducing media, and what’s the point of buying expensive equipment there with nothing to play on it?
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (10-13-23)
Old 10-12-23, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Can’t wait for them to go out of business now. Haven’t had any reason to go in their stores much since they started reducing media, and what’s the point of buying expensive equipment there with nothing to play on it?
I thought they were basically surviving with appliance sales, and Geek Squad. I dunno, I haven't been into one besides to pick something up in a long long time.
Old 10-12-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I have to imagine they did some number crunching and realized that physical media was costing them money, not making it. I don't know how BB stores are laid out these days but, from what I remember removing physical media would allow them to cut their footprint in half.
Old 10-12-23, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I have to imagine they did some number crunching and realized that physical media was costing them money, not making it. I don't know how BB stores are laid out these days but, from what I remember removing physical media would allow them to cut their footprint in half.
Like Target their in-store selection has been shrinking drastically for a while now. But the biggest update here is that they won't even have media online anymore.
Old 10-12-23, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I think now in 2023, the vast majority of Best Buy's customers come there for computers, tablets, mobile phones, appliances and TVs/stereos. That's how they keep the lights on. This isn't the late 90s or early 2000s anymore. Physical media is going to be a 100% online business within the next few years.

The last time I purchased physical media from them was November 2022.
IBJoel (10-13-23)
Old 10-12-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 439 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I don't know how BB stores are laid out these days but, from what I remember removing physical media would allow them to cut their footprint in half.
They remodeled our one remaining Best Buy last year. Prior to that physical media was relegated to maybe 2 10' rows plus the new release stands up front. When it reopened they had removed physical media entirely. The mobile tech and appliance section were the ones that gained the most footprint.

Pretty much only reason I stop at Best Buy now, and it's rare, is if I need a piece of tech a) that's in stock and b) can't wait the 12-36 hrs for Amazon to get it to me.
Old 10-12-23, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I'm especially pessimistic about the domino effect, as less competition = higher prices. This'll also affect my other Best Buy shopping, since one of the biggest reasons I bought electronics and appliances there was to use reward certs on movies and games. But if they're dropping movies and presumably games, they don't really have much of a differentiator anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adam Tyner:
IBJoel (10-13-23), story (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll wait until BB actually reports it.
Old 10-12-23, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm not bothered by this news at this point. Walmart still sells physical media and I have one store in town called Vintage Stock that I buy from regularly. Other than those two stores all my purchases are online. There's not much else to shop for at Best Buy these days.
Old 10-12-23, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The last time I walked into a Best Buy was in June. I bought a cheap pair of wireless ear buds.

I took a peak at the physical media section and it was basically scraps. Hardly anything in stock and lots of empty spaces. They really don't give a shit about that section anymore.
Old 10-12-23, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

I'm really upset by this. I have tons of Best Buy exclusive Steelbooks and am so surprised that they're totally getting out of the market. It's depressing.
miller_time22 (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

This is going to hurt the industry more than just the general decline in sales. Sales can’t help but decline even further when there’s fewer places to buy this stuff. I’ll buy titles I really want online but there’s less chance to find other titles at the same time that I may not have known about or pick up something just because the package is cool. It’s getting to the point now where there’s even fewer places to buy Blu-rays than there were laserdiscs back in the 90s.
PhantomStranger (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm really upset by this. I have tons of Best Buy exclusive Steelbooks and am so surprised that they're totally getting out of the market. It's depressing.
Yeah, I was gonna post the same thing. Where am I going to find my 4K UHD Steelbooks now?

I have been pretty much only buying UHDs in Steelbook form so this definitely sucks for me. I just picked up the Battlestar Galactica Steelbook from my local BB just an hour ago.

Also, I ran by my local library to pick up a few horror movie titles for DVDTalk horror movie challenge. My library used to have hundreds of Blu-rays but they were ALL gone. Seriously. They had maybe just 2 dozen new releases on Blu-ray. I asked one of the clerks about it and she said that they just weren't circulating, and they dumped them all. they are still going to continue carrying releases in DVD form but said due to the cost and lack of interest, their Blu-ray stock will soon be nothing. So no UHDs coming their way either. She said, for now, that DVDs still circulate pretty well.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-12-23 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-12-23, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's sad for media but I can't complain since me and others like me are to blame. Haven't really bought much in years. Even gave up on the Marvel stuff after End Game. I still pick up some cheapies here and there to keep at the Florida condo. It's a service for the tenants and I like having some stuff during the off-season when I don't have the wi-fi on. Other than the $5 bargains I don't think I've gotten a new release since Top Gun.
Old 10-12-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
That's sad for media but I can't complain since me and others like me are to blame. Haven't really bought much in years. Even gave up on the Marvel stuff after End Game. I still pick up some cheapies here and there to keep at the Florida condo. It's a service for the tenants and I like having some stuff during the off-season when I don't have the wi-fi on. Other than the $5 bargains I don't think I've gotten a new release since Top Gun.
I'm curious, is the reason a loss of interest in the films or the presence of Disney +?
Old 10-12-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm curious, is the reason a loss of interest in the films or the presence of Disney +?
For the Marvel stuff it was definitely super hero burnout. Ant Man 3, GotG 3, Dr. Strange 2, Black Panther 2. They were long, dark and just not exciting enough I would purchase. After 30 minutes of yelling at each other I gave up on BP. They sucked all the fun out of Ant Man and GoG.

The lack of new studio releases for a couple years certainly hurt interest in media.
Spiderbite (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

For me and Marvel, I just feel like I'm stuck on a treadmill. With 1-2 movies a year, each one is an event -- something to be excited about, something to look forward to. When it's 3-4 movies a year, and another 3-5 TV series a year on top of that, it just starts to feel like work. It's hard to be excited about the next thing when there's always a next thing, especially if you're trying to keep up with Marvel and Star Wars. And with these projects being more uneven now -- the highs are still really high (like She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel), but the lows are...oof (Secret Invasion, Love & Thunder) -- it's even harder to keep my enthusiasm up.
Old 10-12-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

The worst part about this is Amazon not having any Best Buy sales to match. I don't think I've bought an actual disc inside a Best Buy in years, and I've only ordered a handful from the website.
miller_time22 (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was mainly asking because I'm not sure myself... I would rush out to buy both Marvel and Disney movies basically day of to get my steelbook, and I stopped once steelbooks became less rare, Disney+ had every movie to watch at the same time, and Marvel kind of relaxed after Endgame.
Old 10-12-23, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Yeah, I was gonna post the same thing. Where am I going to find my 4K UHD Steelbooks now?
I think you'll find them going to other retailers. I've noticed in recent months that several major titles I expected to get Best Buy exclusive SteelBooks (Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, M:I Dead Reckoning, TMNT Mutant Mayhem) instead wound up available at Amazon and other places. In retrospect, I think that was probably the first sign of Best Buy pulling out of the market.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, good riddance. My local Best Buy completed dropped physical media. Not one disc in store. You can't even order a SteelBook online for in-store pickup. That makes shipping the only option, and Best Buy consistently ships SteelBooks in flimsy padded envelopes. I'd rather take my chances with another retailer that might have the good sense to put it in a box.

Last edited by Josh Z; 10-12-23 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-12-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think now in 2023, the vast majority of Best Buy's customers come there for computers, tablets, mobile phones, appliances and TVs/stereos. That's how they keep the lights on. This isn't the late 90s or early 2000s anymore. Physical media is going to be a 100% online business within the next few years.

The last time I purchased physical media from them was November 2022.
Last online purchase I did was LOTR 4k steelbooks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.