HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you only watch a bluray in one sitting?
Yes
54.84%
No
32.26%
What are you high?
12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Do you only watch a bluray in one sitting?

Old 12-20-16, 06:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Do you only watch a bluray in one sitting?

Normally I would say yes, but lately I have been doing it in two shots. I don't know what it is, but I seem to need to take a break with certain movies I considered comfort movie. Did watch District 9 straight through because it is so riveting. But, I got The Town (EE) in and need last night and hopefully finish tonight. I've been distracted or attention span lapse but I used to do only in one shot because it is just better that way. I dunno.

And forget about extras. I want to watch right after but that goes by waist side.

You?
Old 12-20-16, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Re: Do you only watch a bluray in one sitting?

I really didn't know if I should post here or in movie forum. I really meant movie in one sitting but I guess with extras it is the whole package...
Old 12-20-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What are you, high?
Old 12-21-16, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless they are extras I've seen a million times. Like the Clerks extras or something, I usually feel obligated to watch everything (minus the commentary tracks) before I take the blu ray out of the player. I usually watch the movie in one sitting and then extras either in the same sitting or over the next day or so.
Old 12-21-16, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I try to watch a bluray movie at one time. I don't like just watching part of a movie, or joining a movie midway.
I might not watch all the extras (I'm interested in) at that same time, but I'll try to watch them all before taking it out of the player and putting it back on the shelf, though that might take a day or two.

Sometimes, sadly, I'll be in the mood to watch a movie - but by the time I decide what movie, it's too late to watch the whole thing.
Old 12-21-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I always watch the movie in one sitting...however, even if I'm reviewing the title for publication, I usually take a break and come back to the extras. For titles I own, it's rare that I even get to the extras, unless it's a film I really love.
Old 12-21-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
Sometimes, sadly, I'll be in the mood to watch a movie - but by the time I decide what movie, it's too late to watch the whole thing.
Dude, this happens to me ALL the time. Wait, that's over two hours? I need to go to bed in two hours...what do I have under two hours?!
Old 12-21-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like watching a movie in more than one sitting, but sometimes I doze off during a movie and will watch the rest of it the next day. If I don't do it by the next day, then I just hold off until another time when I will watch the whole movie.
As far as extras go, generally I will watch whatever extras I'm interested in right after watching the movie. Only in special instances will I actually take the time to go through all of the special features over a few days, only for favorites like Evil Dead or Star Wars.
Old 12-21-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aside from quick pauses for bathroom breaks/food refills, we'll watch most movies in one shoot unless it's a massive epic length feature.
Old 12-21-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I almost always watch the movie in one sitting and these days it's rare for me to go back and watch extras if I don't watch them right after the movie, so that's generally what I do, depending on what the extras are.
Old 12-21-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another question; How many people purposely leave their cell phone in another room to avoid distraction?

Another thought is I have always wondered if our attentions spans have taken a beating over the last ten or fifteen years with cell phones, internet, youtube clips etc.? In a typical movie theatre you constantly see people checking their phones.
Old 12-21-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who I find interesting are people that literally have movies playing in the background as they do something else. I have a relative that will play a new movie while reading a book or talking on the phone. It is something I just don't understand as a movie fan.
Old 12-21-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless I'm falling asleep (or already asleep), I try to watch a movie in one sitting. The kids make that difficult to do at times as well.
Old 12-21-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always try to watch a movie in one sitting. Otherwise, what's the point? Unless there's an intermission built-in.
Old 12-21-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

#IGotKids (or kid in this case) so the days of watching a movie in one sitting are gone unless its date night and the two of us (me and missus) go to a theater. Most movies of an adult nature take me about 3-4 sittings to watch. Gone are the days where I could sit and absorb a 2 hour, heck 3 hour movie in one afternoon. Heck, I remember the days when I would watch 2-3 movies back to back and then write reviews in the same day.

As a result and cause I'm getting old, I am taking double strength ginko biloba which actually does help your memory if you take it every day. So the 3-4 sittings doesn't bother me as much as long as they are over 1 week to 2 week periods and nothing worse. I do love my son though...I keep telling myself that.
Old 12-21-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Who I find interesting are people that literally have movies playing in the background as they do something else. I have a relative that will play a new movie while reading a book or talking on the phone. It is something I just don't understand as a movie fan.
We put on Christmas Vacation the other day and I was making food during it, in and out of the living room at times. That particular movie has passed the point where you sit down to watch it as a movie, it's simply become part of the season and it's akin to putting on Christmas music on Pandora while you work around the house.

But a new movie or something I'm re-watching in particular because of something in that speaks to me, then I'll be much better about paying attention.
Old 12-21-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More often than not, yes.

The times I don't are when I'm more tired than I realize I am and just pick-up where I left off at a later time.
Old 12-21-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me watching tv and watching a movie are two entirely different activities. If I feel like watching a movie I do it in the theater room. To me having a home theater is like the Harley you drive on the weekend. Once or twice a week I sit down with popcorn and a coke, all the lights out, the sound system turned on and the rest of the world ceases to exist for a couple hours.

I watch tv laying on the couch in the living room. Rarely watch a theatrical movie. Sometimes an older b/w movie.
Old 12-21-16, 06:55 PM

I watch a BD, then a SD that might have more than one movie in the set, i.e. (The Bowery Boys.)
Old 12-21-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*Always* in one sitting unless life gets in the way and interrupts it after it's been started. That rarely happens as I try to plan for those situations as much as possible. I do not answer the phone - movie or otherwise - unless my wife's away from home and then it's only if it's her calling. I only "multitask" during a movie if it's one I've seen several times. Even then the film's watched in a single sitting. I rarely bother with "extras" as time has proven most aren't worth the investment in time. I could be watching another movie instead. If I don't have time for a full movie I watch a TV episode or two depending on available time. Even those I make every attempt to not interrupt and watch episodes in single sittings.
Old 12-21-16, 09:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on its length. If it's 3 hours long (or more) then we'll typically watch part of it while we eat dinner then finish it up that evening, less than that usually gets watched in one stiing.
Old 12-24-16, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Movies ALWAYS get played from start to finish in one sitting, but extras are separate. Rented/borrowed movies are a little more flexible, I'll sometimes watch those and fall asleep and then pick up where I dozed off after waking up or the next day. I watched "Krampus" this week via streaming in two nights after not being able to stay awake at the half-way point, but will still have to watch it all in one sitting next Christmas (or July) to have any valid opinion of it.

I don't hide my phones but during important viewings they go unanswered until the movie ends.
Old 12-25-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix rentals yes but the ones I buy I might watch on late Fri night and finish on late Sat.

During football season I watch the ones I bought in one setting on Fridays since the games start so fcking early at 10am on Sundays.
Old 09-28-18, 03:04 AM

Yes, I generally watch a full movie in one sitting. I always make sure to clear my schedule so that I don't have to get up in the middle of a movie.
Old 09-28-18, 07:08 AM

I always watch a movie i n one sitting, I never do watch extras anymore since I've gotten older. But a movie I'll only watch it i h ave time and I look up ones in my collection based on runtime

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.