Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

How much was the Friday the 13th going for at best buy
Old 10-20-16, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by jmspls72
how much was the friday the 13th going for at best buy
$99.99
Old 11-02-16, 12:17 AM
Banned

Today, I got a steelbook rush! There were two others calling my name but I had to relent (Christmas Vacation and Polar Express.). Maybe payday next week...

Old 11-02-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Magnificent Seven 4K Best Buy steelbook artwork. I really like the back.

Old 11-03-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I preordered Sausage Party when they had the 10% coupon day
My copy of Sausage Party shipped and like always, they didn't adjust the price since it dropped, so I had to do an online chat. I can live with $17.36 on release week.
Old 11-05-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Magnificent Seven 4K Best Buy steelbook artwork. I really like the back.

That is slick.
Old 11-15-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Went by Target today. That Finding Dory Steelbook is kind of elegant, but really understated and doesn't really pop. I actually prefer the 3D Lenticular cover with a camouflaging Hank. I'm going that route instead of the Steelbook here.
Old 11-22-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Supposedly, Best Buy has a steel book version of The Ultimate Laika Collection. They're selling it for $39.99.
Old 11-22-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Supposedly, Best Buy has a steel book version of The Ultimate Laika Collection. They're selling it for $39.99.

My pre-order arrvied yesterday. Picked it up when BestBuy had it listed at $24.99.
Old 11-30-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy has a Harry Potter steelbook collection coming out next week. It's in the ad for $99.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/harry-po...&skuId=5634401
Old 11-30-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best Buy has a Harry Potter steelbook collection coming out next week. It's in the ad for $99.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/harry-po...&skuId=5634401
I've seen a picture of that steelbook set
Spoiler:

and it is gorgeous for sure. If I didn't have this set already, I would probably spring for this in a heartbeat. Good price too.
Old 11-30-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like Universal is drawing their line in the sand for exclusive steelbook releases. Huntsman had a 4K and regular Blu steelbook release but Jason Bourne is 4K only. I guess we knew this was coming eventually.
Old 12-05-16, 06:48 PM
Banned

Can you seriously be in love with an inanimate object? HELL YEAH! I received the new "Rocketeer" lenticular steelbook from Zavvi today and it is a thing of beauty. The pics really don't do this thing justice. The magnet lifts out of the embossed/frame to reveal a standard image. I am so happy I grabbed this. The original was spectacular looking but the lenticular addition makes it even sweeter.

Last edited by AaronSch; 12-06-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 07:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I think I have that one still sealed. I should watch it soon, huh?
Old 12-05-16, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think I have that one still sealed. I should watch it soon, huh?
Yeah, I certainly would...it's a great movie. I always open and inspect my steelbooks. I can't wait to receive "Fright Night" and "Enemy Mine." I plan on buying a shrink wrap kit from U-Line so that I can re-seal all of the steelbooks in my collection as well as digibooks and other special editions. I may also consider just buying the protective sleeves via Shop4Tech. But I think a shrinkwrap unit would be far more versatile.The other alternatives are too damn expensive to consider.
Old 12-05-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I actually own a couple shrink-wrap set ups. But I don't use them to protect my DVDs or steel books. I use these.
Perfect size for single wide case Blus, steel books, DVDs.

And inexpensive.

That Rocketeer steel looks beautiful. Would love to get it, but it's hard to justify dropping $20+ right now just for a snazzy case. Love the Barbarella and Warriors ones also. Anything that uses original key art is
Wish they would get hip to that over here.
Old 12-05-16, 09:06 PM
Banned

I was lucky to get in on the $17.99 preorder price... I hate the art Disney used domestically... I am so enamored by this steelbook. I was crazy enough to consider picking up the Harry Potter steel book collection, but I own the Hogwarts collection and that is a very handsome set—and it has everything including the 3D titles. Those steelbooks are kinda plain.....they should have gone with some imagery 'cause other than being steelbooks, they look identical and don't inspire me much.

Yes, Shop4Tech offers similar bags for DVD/Blu-ray archiving. I was thinking that a shrinkwrap set-up could be used for box sets and special collector's editions for which I want to minimize shelf wear. These bags may be useful for keepcases since you run the risk of damaging them with heat. Haven't decided yet but thanks for the tip.

Last edited by AaronSch; 12-06-16 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 12:49 AM

My plan after grabbing Secret Lives of Pets 3D pre-order for $19.99 at Amazon was to return the Target Steelbook when it arrived. Then it came and damn it's so pretty. Now I'm thinking of returning the boring looking 3D set instead.

Old 12-12-16, 12:49 AM

While I really do love that "Secret Life of Pets" Steelbook, look at that spine. It's completely blank. Aaron and I have the Zavvi-exclusive Jungle Book 3D Steelbook and while it doesn't have the movie title on its spine, it at least has images of the movie characters on it. This one you'd have no idea what the movie is if you didn't recognize the pastel hue of this particular release. Such a weird choice.
Old 12-12-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
While I really do love that "Secret Life of Pets" Steelbook, look at that spine. It's completely blank. Aaron and I have the Zavvi-exclusive Jungle Book 3D Steelbook and while it doesn't have the movie title on its spine, it at least has images of the movie characters on it. This one you'd have no idea what the movie is if you didn't recognize the pastel hue of this particular release. Such a weird choice.
Disney has been doing the "No text on SteelBooks" thing in Europe for quite a while now. (Yes, I realize Secret Life of Pets isn't Disney, but they're clearly following that pattern.) I believe the logic is that they can stamp one case for multiple territories without needing to rework it for different languages. All text goes on the cardboard wrapper, which can be easily printed in any language.

I hate this trend, personally. In most of these cases, the artwork is designed with open spots where the text is supposed to go, and looks very sparse and awkward without it.
Old 12-12-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also torn on the Pets steelbook. I pre-ordered it at Target without knowing it would be totally text (movie title) free but I do love the rest of it far more than the ugly standard release. So I opened it and am now stuck with it. I do wish they would make it obvious when these will not have the tittle printed anywhere.
Old 12-12-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Disney has been doing the "No text on SteelBooks" thing in Europe for quite a while now. (Yes, I realize Secret Life of Pets isn't Disney, but they're clearly following that pattern.) I believe the logic is that they can stamp one case for multiple territories without needing to rework it for different languages. All text goes on the cardboard wrapper, which can be easily printed in any language.

I hate this trend, personally. In most of these cases, the artwork is designed with open spots where the text is supposed to go, and looks very sparse and awkward without it.
Wow, that is an awful trend. If you're not going to put text on the spine even, at least put a recognizable character or something!
Old 12-12-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I'm also torn on the Pets steelbook. I pre-ordered it at Target without knowing it would be totally text (movie title) free but I do love the rest of it far more than the ugly standard release. So I opened it and am now stuck with it. I do wish they would make it obvious when these will not have the tittle printed anywhere.
This should help

Spoiler:

I think Josh might be on to something, but the steelbook from another region has the text on the spine

Spoiler:

Last edited by mattysemo247; 12-12-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-12-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird. It looks like Target took the steelbook off of their site and I checked brickseek and it's not showing any locals stores either (058-30-0972). I guess there might be a chance that it was recalled or something? A couple copies are up on eBay for $30+
Old 12-12-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Target order for the steelbook was very weird. It was pulled off their site months ago such that the picture/product info on my pre-order confirmation changed to a section on the order and the link went to nothing when clicked. Their Pets exclusive changed to some kind of photo frame thing.

But my order was never cancelled and I figured I would just wait to see if it showed up.

I never made it into the store to confirm, but I don't think they ever had any steelbooks in store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.