Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Official New & Upcoming Exclusive Steelbook Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I just wanted to do a quick post of interesting note. The Best Buy exclusive "Labyrinth" 4K UltraHD Steelbook looks to be the UK edition. The 4K disc has the UK labels on the disc. I'll snap a couple of pics and upload them in awhile. ...I just hope the standard BD is region free. Matte Finish...handsome steelbook but I need to re-evaluate these purchases.
Did you try playing it to see if it was region locked? Here is what the disc should look like

Spoiler:
Old 09-29-16, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Did you try playing it to see if it was region locked? Here is what the disc should look like

Spoiler:
I was mistaken. It is actually the German UHD but a friend told me don't worry because UHD discs are not region locked. I don't have a UHD player so I can't check...I'm also afraid to bring it in for an exchange because the case is pristine...no scratches, no dents and no chipped paint. So I have relied on my friends suggestion to keep it...I may just contact Sony. Part of me even wondered if an employee did a switch at work to get the domestic version...but the UV code was valid and the standard Blu-ray played fine.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-29-16 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My Age of Apocalypse shipped. One thing nice about BB preorders is I get by Monday at the latest. Sometimes even Saturday.
Old 09-29-16, 11:25 PM
Banned

Just a head's up to remind the steelbook fans that the Fox wave of steelbooks arrived in-store at Best Buy today. I grabbed "The Kingsman," "The Revenant," and "The Martian: Extended Edition." Other titles can be searched online at Best Buy. Search "STLBK" and "Steelbook."

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-02-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
The listing is pretty definitive.

BD-KUBO TWO STRINGS LAIKA 4MOV COLL (Blu-ray Disc) (4 Disc) (Steel Book) (Boxed Set) (Ultraviolet Digital Copy)
$24.99

No harm in pre-ordering then with free shipping and easy returns (although maybe not so easy after Black Friday).
Price shot up to $45. So it looks like it was a good deal for anyone that doesn't care about the 3D versions.

I already have the 3D versions of Coraline, ParaNorman and Boxtrolls, so I'll hold out and grab the 3D version of Kubo and the Two Strings.
Old 10-03-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Final Fantasy Kingsglave is coming out tomorrow. There is a Steelbook that is NOT store-exclusive, but it's worth noting that it's $19.99 but is qualifying for the GCU 20% discount (even though it shouldn't -- it's a movie based on a Video Game series, not a video game) and is $15.99 after discount.

This is what it looks like :

Not nearly as pretty as the Steelbook that comes with FF XV Deluxe edition,

but works out to be like $10-$15 cheaper for the same content (game, movie and a Steelbook).
Old 10-03-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Just a head's up to remind the steelbook fans that the Fox wave of steelbooks arrived in-store at Best Buy today. I grabbed "The Kingsman," "The Revenant," and "The Martian: Extended Edition." Other titles can be searched online at Best Buy. Search "STLBK" and "Steelbook."

I really don't understand why Best Buy's website doesn't have the artwork for these new steelbooks. You'd think of all the products they want to show, it would be something whose main draw is aesthetic like Steelbooks.

Anyway, I picked up Young Frankenstein and got the Deadpool steelbook while I was at it. Was thinking about The Martian, but there were none on the shelf so I didn't bother.
Old 10-03-16, 09:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

There's a Deadpool SteelBook? Is that new? Looks like it's 2 discs, is that just DVD copy?
Old 10-03-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy
There's a Deadpool SteelBook? Is that new?
No, it's not new:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/deadpool...?skuId=5089900
Old 10-03-16, 09:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Yeah, I remember it now. Not sure if it's worth just for commentaries...
Old 10-03-16, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Yeah, I remember it now. Not sure if it's worth just for commentaries...
It's the original release. Not a new release, no additional content. Just the Best Buy exclusive Steelbook packaging.

And besides it's long sold out online. He just found a straggler copy in-store.
Old 10-04-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

It's the original release. Not a new release, no additional content. Just the Best Buy exclusive Steelbook packaging.

I was in my local Best Buy tonight and the Deadpool Steelbook was part of the Cardboard Endcap display along with all the titles that AaronSch put up in his post (along with a few others). The store had 2 copies in the display.

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-04-16 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they also re-stocked Spectre. I think the X-Men steelbooks look pretty shitty, except the artwork they used for DOFP which was the same they used for their exclusive 3D version.

Spoiler:
Old 10-04-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I really don't understand why Best Buy's website doesn't have the artwork for these new steelbooks. You'd think of all the products they want to show, it would be something whose main draw is aesthetic like Steelbooks.
You expect Best Buy to do something competently? That's your first mistake.
Old 10-04-16, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yeah, they also re-stocked Spectre. I think the X-Men steelbooks look pretty shitty, except the artwork they used for DOFP which was the same they used for their exclusive 3D version.

Spoiler:
I'm with ya on that assessment. I own a gorgeous set of the X-Men Metalpaks which were Target exclusives—the art used for the new Fox wave of X-Men Steelbooks pale in comparison to these—the art used for these Metalpaks is far superior. I was able to grab a complete set by hitting every damn Target in the Phoenix Metro area a year or so ago. I don't get all the hate for Metalpaks just because of the spine when Metalpaks are generally better constructed with thicker and sturdier material—I think some people confuse Ironpaks with Metalpaks and those can be very fragile. I will still be picking up X-Men: Apocalypse today. Other titles that are re-issues were originally released glossy and I'm glad I have the originals.

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-16-16 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those X-Men ones are pretty bad. I'll keep mine the way they are. I am a fan of the Maze Runner ones (since they match), but I'll wait until they drop in price. The Planet of the Apes ones are boring as heck, that's about as uninspired as you can get. Finally, I would like the Young Frankenstein one, but no stores near me have it. Furthermore, I have it in my Mel Brooks set and I've been reluctant to upgrade any of them even Spaceballs & Blazing Saddles.
Old 10-04-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think they've restocked in stores. As another poster mentioned, it was part of the steelbook endcap with these new steelbooks and my store had several copies there.
Old 10-04-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You expect Best Buy to do something competently? That's your first mistake.
Ha! Good point.
Old 10-04-16, 11:14 AM
Banned

Another head's up: If you would like to pick up the glossy ironpaks of "Patton," "Spaceballs," and "M*A*S*H," you can search "metalpak" at Best Buy...somebody correct me if I am wrong but I believe these were all actually "Ironpaks." The main difference is Metalpaks have a split spine which causes the most consternation among collectors (whatever..) while the Ironpaks have a full spine like Steelbooks and have metal hinges that run the length of the spine. Steelbooks are actually the cheapest in construction—yet the most popular—with the hinges merely part of the plastic disc holder inside.

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-04-16 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like they finally updated their site with the new artwork

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/steelbooks-evn7107
Old 10-04-16, 02:15 PM
Banned

I just got back from Best Buy and picked up the very sweet "X-Men Apocalypse" Steelbook. This past weekend I was able to pick-up a beat up copy of the "Total Recall" steelbook off the discount table for $4! All I wanted it for was the interior trays which hold three discs. My plan is to switch out the interior trays to make room for the 3D disc I plan on purchasing down the road—hope it works. They also got more copies of the "Labyrinth" steelbook in stock so I was able to switch the German UHD disc that strangely was packaged with my original purchase for the domestic version. Lots of X-Men at this location.
Old 10-04-16, 08:25 PM

Looks like there are thousands of those X-Men Apocalypse Steelbooks. They probably ran a full batch along with all the X-Men reissued Steelbooks. It's a nice looking Steelbook but it won't be at all collectable or valuable. Bet it will drop to the same $17.99 price as the others in a matter of weeks. Keep your receipt.

Also the FF XV Kingslave Steelbook has a much nicer cover than the one I posted before.
Spoiler:

That and the vanilla Day One version of the game will be fine for me.
Old 10-12-16, 01:16 PM

Updated with Best Buy-Exclusive 4K Steelbook pre-order.
No picture of the Steelbook yet.

Heads up : Best Buy is doing a promotion where you can get the higher-priced 4K release for 50% off with another 4K purchase. For me, I was able to re-purchase Ghostbusters 4K/3D Steelbook for regular $29.99 price and get the pre-order of Suicide Squad Steelbook for $17.49. To do that though, you need to find a Ghostbusters 4K Steelbook in stock somewhere for in-store pick-up because it's not available online any more.
Alternatively, you can preorder the Suicide Squad 4K Steelbook with the Best Buy Exclusive Larbrynth 4K Steelbook which is readily available for $24.99 (though it should be noted that the Digibook Blu Ray is only $9.99 at Best Buy currently)

Last edited by Decker; 10-12-16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-14-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Kubo/Laika collection no longer says steelbook. I'll probably keep my preorder since it was $25, I do own the other three but don't have digital copies of the first 2.

I did that 4k deal as well for suicide squad and used the new magnificent 7 movie as the second. FYI the steelbooks the deal works for are Suicide Squad, Magnificent 7, Jason Bourne, and if you can find these two in store Ghostbusters and Winter's War.
Old 10-16-16, 09:18 PM
Banned

Placed my order today for ID4; 20th Anniversary Edition and ID4: Resurgence to get the $5 off and i was messaged that the first one was available to pick-up today! So of course i ran down to grab my copy and it sure is perty...matte finish and inside art...very nice. i traded in my standard keep case version and got $4.25 in trade credit at a local reseller... not bad at all.

According to a number of posts in various forums, the blu-ray set of "Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection" was showing up at various Best Buy locations. Though it does not appear anywhere on the Best Buy website, you can cal to have them search your area for the SKU 1603017. I just couldn't let this one slip through my grasp—it is so cool. The embossed cover looks spectacular.

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-18-16 at 02:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.