Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Old 04-13-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if the negatives are still around? They could probably at least master it from a print or something. According to the above post, the elements are in terrible shape. Given how rushed its production was, perhaps not surprising. The other two were straight to video (VHS is one case), so no way.

And no, PS, it's not overrated .
Old 04-14-16, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Couldn't find the Justice League Versus Teen Titans Steelbook at Target when I went out tonight. Not a huge deal but I sort of planned to get them going forward. I might check again tomorrow or see if I can get one online.
Old 04-14-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I hear the steelbooks are very sporadically distributed per store for this one. Some stores only get three copies, while Super Targets possibly get over 12?
Old 04-14-16, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
People keep asking about it but Warner has said elsewhere the extant elements for Mask of the Phantasm are in terrible shape. I think it has become somewhat overrated by nostalgic fans that grew up on Batman: The Animated Series.
Disagree. Both Batman: The Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm hold up extremely well. At least for me it's not just a nostalgic thing either because there are certain animated shows and films from my childhood I thought I'd still love when revisiting them as an adult but they don't hold up (the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon is a good example).
Old 04-14-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I still watch Batman The Animated Series with my kids since it's streaming free on Amazon Prime. But going back to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or even X-Men is kinda painful since I remember loving those sooooo much when I was younger.
Old 04-14-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Couldn't find the Justice League Versus Teen Titans Steelbook at Target when I went out tonight. Not a huge deal but I sort of planned to get them going forward. I might check again tomorrow or see if I can get one online.
Not available at all online at Target since there is no separate listing for the SB.

Disagree. Both Batman: The Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm hold up extremely well.
It's one of the best movies made with Batman period. Very little of it's long term popularity is anything other than appreciating quality. It is a real shame it wasn't the first of the animate movies they made a priority of upgrading to BD. Kinda like the Iron Giant, but that is finally coming out on BD.
Old 04-14-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welp, tried one more Target since I have heard of Thursday shipments occasionally...barren wasteland, only one copy of the Deluxe left, no steelbooks. I guess Amazon France it is for me...I will be able to watch it in August. (July 14th release). I really hope I can find a SB for Killing Joke when it drops...I will be extremely bummed on that one.
Old 04-14-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My new favorite Target location had two steelbook copies left so I have an extra one of somebody wants to work out a deal. Send PM.
Old 04-14-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

I'll keep looking at Targets for you - hope other DVD Talkers can do the same. Last time, I found Bad Blood steelbooks a full week after release at certain stores.

If anyone finds one to send to Kendrix, please post here.

edit : Looks like we may already be set...
Old 04-14-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Disagree. Both Batman: The Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm hold up extremely well. At least for me it's not just a nostalgic thing either because there are certain animated shows and films from my childhood I thought I'd still love when revisiting them as an adult but they don't hold up (the 80s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon is a good example).
I like them both but Mask of the Phantasm has seemingly become an untouchable classic to some fans. I can understand why, for many non-comic book readers it was the first Batman movie they had ever seen that tackled the character with more class and sophistication than either the 60's show or Burton's movies.

My reference point for Batman are his great comics from the Seventies, so I wasn't blown away by the animated series like it had no precedent. The animated series did feature very powerful, streamlined storytelling we hadn't really seen before in animated or live form.
Old 04-14-16, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
My new favorite Target location had two steelbook copies left so I have an extra one of somebody wants to work out a deal. Send PM.
PM Sent

Originally Posted by Decker
I'll keep looking at Targets for you - hope other DVD Talkers can do the same. Last time, I found Bad Blood steelbooks a full week after release at certain stores.

If anyone finds one to send to Kedrix, please post here.

Indeed I like Amazon France and all, but I rather not wait 3 and a half months.
Old 04-14-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I like them both but Mask of the Phantasm has seemingly become an untouchable classic to some fans. I can understand why, for many non-comic book readers it was the first Batman movie they had ever seen that tackled the character with more class and sophistication than either the 60's show or Burton's movies.

My reference point for Batman are his great comics from the Seventies, so I wasn't blown away by the animated series like it had no precedent. The animated series did feature very powerful, streamlined storytelling we hadn't really seen before in animated or live form.
I read the comics but when the series aired I hadn't much or the ones I did I was too young to really appreciate. That being said though I still think it holds up as one of the best interpretations of the character ever. Everything from the look to the voice acting to the music all blends together so well. There's an almost seemingly timeless quality to it all that makes it a memorable piece of the character's history.
Old 04-14-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker

If anyone finds one to send to Kendrix, please post here.

Originally Posted by Kedrix
PM Sent
Yes, Kendrix and I have worked out getting him my extra copy.

I too have often seen more than one steelbook left when I get to Target but also don't want to be 'that" guy. But on the other hand, if "that" guy is getting to them people here then it's not really the same thing, right? More often than not the two Target stores I frequent often have two or more copies when I get mine. Yesterday I had seen posters saying they couldn't find one so I snagged both copies this time.

I've posted this before, but here I'll do it one more time. Always check between all the other regular case versions because there are actually Target stores (including the two I frequent) that don't seem to notice there are two types of cases and just randomly put them on the shelves.
Old 04-14-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Yes, Kendrix and I have worked out getting him my extra copy.

I too have often seen more than one steelbook left when I get to Target but also don't want to be 'that" guy. But on the other hand, if "that" guy is getting to them people here then it's not really the same thing, right? More often than not the two Target stores I frequent often have two or more copies when I get mine. Yesterday I had seen posters saying they couldn't find one so I snagged both copies this time.

It's sad that we have to create an interstate buddy system just so we can snag a copy.
Old 04-14-16, 09:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Anyone actually watch the fucking movie yet?
Old 04-14-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Everyone's bellyaching about steelbooks - hey guess what, Killing Joke will be getting an R rating!

You're welcome.
Old 04-14-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

It's sad that we have to create an interstate buddy system just so we can snag a copy.
Prime example of the reason:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Justice-Leag...IAAOSw2GlXDo4I

Doesn't even try and hide that he/she likely grabbed every copy that store had, it not multiple stores.
Old 04-14-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/14...imated-rated-r

You can bet your ass this is going to be the toughest steelbook to find yet.
Old 04-14-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

Yeah, will definitely be there at opening and hope for the best.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-15-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Prime example of the reason:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Justice-Leag...IAAOSw2GlXDo4I

Doesn't even try and hide that he/she likely grabbed every copy that store had, it not multiple stores.
Oddly enough I saw that POS seller while I was looking for a copy of Throne of Atlantis and War (the 2 steelbooks I don't have). But I don't think I want them bad enough to pay almost $40 each.

Those eBay sellers are scumbags!

I do get a kick out of the assholes who bought a shit ton of The Force Awakens steelbooks thinking they would be highly sought after on the secondary market. I guess they didn't take into account that Best Buy ordered somewhere in the ballpark of a gazillion copies.
Old 04-15-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone actually watch the fucking movie yet?
Justice League vs. Teen Titans? It's one of the best animated DC movies from the recent ones.

It was weird at first hearing someone voice Raven other than the version heard on the Teen Titans series.
Old 04-15-16, 09:50 AM

Yes, Kedrix and I have worked out getting him my extra copy.

I've posted this before, but here I'll do it one more time. Always check between all the other regular case versions because there are actually Target stores (including the two I frequent) that don't seem to notice there are two types of cases and just randomly put them on the shelves.
Thank you again, I really appreciate it. I will agree with that sentiment, I have found a couple of Target steelbooks due to misplacement or when I had to ask and wait very patiently. Just imagine the wonderful time I had when the Evil Dead (remake) steelbook was an exclusive at Target and I had to explain what it was and why they should have it in the back. Yes, I did get a copy.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247

*sigh*, maybe I should just take off that day. Mebee, if we are lucky, they will overproduce this one. I just want it on my shelf because it looks nice and I do appreciate and love these movies. And Killing Joke ought to be a masterpiece if its done right.
Old 04-15-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure why they have different DPCI's for pretty much every other steelbook release other than these DC movies. I guess it's because they don't really have that much inventory compared to the major releases (like Creed, Straight Outta Compton, etc)

Originally Posted by Kedrix
*sigh*, maybe I should just take off that day.
That's probably not going to help. Like others have already said (and my experience as well), getting to the store early won't mean shit if they didn't get them in at all. The store by my work hasn't received the past couple on release day. The best bet is to make some phone calls on your lunch break to see who got them in and is willing to hold a copy until you get off work. Even if it means driving a little out of your way, it's probably worth it.
Old 04-15-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Hopefully us regulars here will pick up a second copy if able to send to another regular if they need it.

How many of these Steelbooks do you guys have? I'm at five now : Batman vs Robin, Batman Bad Blood, The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe, Justice League Gods & Monsters and Justice League vs Teen Titans.
I'm kicking myself because I had seen Throne of Atlantis Steelbook when it came out, but I wasn't collecting them yet so I just passed on it.
Old 04-15-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think Target stopped tracking these correctly because there is no way they can handle them correctly given the demand. And then as we have seen, they also don't have any way to keep one customer from buying every copy itn he store in one transaction.

I will definitely pick up a couple extra Killing Jokes if possible just as I did this last time. Hoping both of my two favorite stores will be no different than before (they often have all 5 or 6 available when I get there).

What is the full list of these DC steelbooks from Target? I know I'm missing War, but I don't know if I'm missing any before or after than one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.