Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 07:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

So, what exactly is the life span now of Blu-rays? When are they going away?
Old 09-28-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So, what exactly is the life span now of Blu-rays? When are they going away?
DVD is right at twenty years old and still going strong. You have nothing to worry about.
Old 09-29-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Sonopress has now shipped over one million Ultra HD Blu-rays.
http://www.4kevolution.de/2016/09/4k...illionenmarke/
Old 10-04-16, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Angry Birds 4k/3D $18.99 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Angry-Birds-M...Angry+Birds+4k
Old 10-26-16, 03:02 PM
Banned by request

For those who use XB1S to play UHD's.

http://www.avsforum.com/dolby-atmos-...s-coming-soon/

Dolby Atmos on the Xbox One S Coming Soon

by Mark Henninger on October 26, 2016

When Microsoft announced the Xbox One S, there was much excitement around its inclusion of an Ultra HD Blu-ray drive. However, that initial enthusiasm was tempered by an odd exclusion, the new console did not support bitstream audio output. This had the unfortunate consequence of making it impossible to play back Dolby Atmos audio when watching Ultra HD Blu-ray content.

At a press conference earlier today, Microsoft promised to correct this issue in a forthcoming firmware update to its HDR-capable gaming machine. Once implemented, the Xbox One S ($300 for the 500 GB model) will surely find a home in many more Dolby Atmos-equipped entertainment systems and home theaters. Of course, you’ll need an Atmos-compatible sound system to take advantage of this new feature. Fortunately, the cost of entry for immersive audio is dropping. Also, the ability to pass bitstream audio should bring DTS:X compatibility to the Xbox One S platform, even if Microsoft did not explicitly mention it.
Old 11-04-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

So I have an Xbox One S, a 4K copy of Sicario, but a 1080p TV purchased back in 2007 or 2008. Can I still view Sicario in 4K? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
So I have an Xbox One S, a 4K copy of Sicario, but a 1080p TV purchased back in 2007 or 2008. Can I still view Sicario in 4K? Thanks in advance!
You can watch your 4K disc (and it may even look a little better than a standard Blu-ray), but you'll be getting a downscaled 1080p image out of it, not seeing the full 4K resolution.
Old 11-07-16, 07:09 PM
Banned by request

Per Digitalbits:

First of all, more than 80,000 stand-alone 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players have been sold here in the States in the 9 months since the format first launched. Nearly 90 titles are now available, with that number expected push well past 100 by Christmas. More critically, the 1 millionth 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc has just sold at retail here in the States, representing more than $25 million in consumer spending. And shipments of 4K Ultra HDTVs have increased by more than 80% this year, which means that by the end of the year the displays will be installed in some 16% of US households (a number that’s expected to increase to 35% by 2019). What does all this mean? Well, the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format is actually well ahead of the adoption curve of regular Blu-ray in the first 9 months of its launch – probably not surprising as there’s no format war for consumers to contend with this time. I’ve also learned – separately, I might add, from other industry sources – that the final remaining holdout studio, Disney, is quietly preparing to begin releasing titles on the format in 2017.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/110716_1630
Old 11-08-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
What does all this mean? Well, the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format is actually well ahead of the adoption curve of regular Blu-ray in the first 9 months of its launch – probably not surprising as there’s no format war for consumers to contend with this time.
Bear in mind UHD numbers may be higher than Blu-ray numbers in the same nine month time frame largely due to the fact that HD early adopters were splitting the sales between two competing formats.

When you combine the sales of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, are those numbers lower or higher than UHD after the first nine months? That would make for a more honest comparison.
Old 11-08-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Bear in mind UHD numbers may be higher than Blu-ray numbers in the same nine month time frame largely due to the fact that HD early adopters were splitting the sales between two competing formats.

When you combine the sales of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, are those numbers lower or higher than UHD after the first nine months? That would make for a more honest comparison.
(As an offtopic aside).

This may sound really dumb now.

Back in 2006-2007, I was hoping hd-dvd and bluray would tear each other apart and completely destroy one another in a neverending format war.

In the end, that never happened.
Old 11-08-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner

Even if there wasn't a format war with HD-DVD and BD, I think the comparison of the first 8 months doesn't mean much. There'll be a group of consumers that will jump onboard fast, but that doesn't mean it will be a continual steady climb. You see that with new formats/products a lot. Like Ninentdo's Wii U for example, started off good - and then just died. The early adopters jump on board hardcore and buy up many titles - so statistically it looks decent, but then everything just tails off.

Without comparing it to anything, 80,000 standalone players in 8 months really isn't that good.
Old 11-08-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Even if there wasn't a format war with HD-DVD and BD, I think the comparison of the first 8 months doesn't mean much. There'll be a group of consumers that will jump onboard fast, but that doesn't mean it will be a continual steady climb. You see that with new formats/products a lot. Like Ninentdo's Wii U for example, started off good - and then just died. The early adopters jump on board hardcore and buy up many titles - so statistically it looks decent, but then everything just tails off.

Without comparing it to anything, 80,000 standalone players in 8 months really isn't that good.
I agree it's always easy to publish sales statistics that are 100% mathematically accurate but completely misleading.
Old 11-08-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

There was a format war but OD sales were more than double what they are now. Blu-ray (and HD DVD) came out when disc was at its peak.
Old 11-08-16, 03:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Per Digitalbits:

First of all, more than 80,000 stand-alone 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players have been sold here in the States in the 9 months since the format first launched. Nearly 90 titles are now available, with that number expected push well past 100 by Christmas. More critically, the 1 millionth 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc has just sold at retail here in the States, representing more than $25 million in consumer spending. And shipments of 4K Ultra HDTVs have increased by more than 80% this year, which means that by the end of the year the displays will be installed in some 16% of US households (a number that’s expected to increase to 35% by 2019). What does all this mean? Well, the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format is actually well ahead of the adoption curve of regular Blu-ray in the first 9 months of its launch – probably not surprising as there’s no format war for consumers to contend with this time. I’ve also learned – separately, I might add, from other industry sources – that the final remaining holdout studio, Disney, is quietly preparing to begin releasing titles on the format in 2017.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/110716_1630
... the wait continues...
Old 11-08-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
... the wait continues...
Well at least we can be more confident now that it's coming. I mean, nobody really expected Disney to release anything this year on UHD. They themselves even stated that before the format was even launched.
Old 11-17-16, 09:51 AM
Banned by request

For those looking for a UHD player. $199.99 at Best Buy now. Good price already. No in-store pickup option, but shipping is free with 2 day ship.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...?skuId=4853800
Old 11-17-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel like i'll jump in when Disney does. I've been so tempted to buy a Samsung KS8000 this week.
Old 11-17-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I feel like i'll jump in when Disney does.
... but Disney's been waiting for you!
Old 11-17-16, 11:53 AM

For those looking for a UHD player. $199.99 at Best Buy now.
That's still about $150 too high. I can buy a budgest BD player at $35 and a good player at $50-ish.

I remember this argument with my wife regarding a swimming pool: She wanted a fancy, built-in pool - cost $20k+. I told her we can buy those above ground Target pools for a few hundred bucks instead. "But they don't last that long", she countered. I then told her we can buy a new pool every year for 50 years and still come out saving money in the end. She relented, and we've been happy ever since (1st pool has lasted 3 years so far...)

If your blu-ray player dies today, buy another one! You can buy 4 or 5 more if you need to while waiting for UHD to either get more affordable or die. Either way, you'll be saving money.
Old 11-17-16, 11:55 AM
Banned by request

The format has been up and running about a year. It's a great price for a new format. Or just wait 8 years or so and you can get it at the price you want.
Old 11-17-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

As far as I know there is only 1 Ultra Blu Ray music title so it looks like it will be awhile before I even think about getting a player.
Old 11-17-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The format has been up and running about a year.
8 and a half months, even. It's waaaaay more affordable than Blu-ray was at this point in its lifecycle.
Old 11-17-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

This Philips one is $179.99 but you gotta put in in your shopping cart to see the price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/philips-...?skuId=5495211
Old 11-17-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Amazon beat the price for that Samsung to $197 and the Philips one is also $179 on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UBD-K...blu+ray+player
Old 11-17-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
8 and a half months, even. It's waaaaay more affordable than Blu-ray was at this point in its lifecycle.
In the current market they have to bring the prices down quickly. It's not 2007 anymore where the only real competition at the time was DVD & HDDVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.