Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Originally Posted by trespoochies
In terms of being old school (as am I), just know that your old school media (and jump in resolution from VHS to to laser to DVD) isn't what 4k is best used to watch. So watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre in 4k, you won't see much of a difference, but watching Oblivion, you will see it. 4K is for the new stuff really. But really, if you're interested in 4k/UHD, you'll appreciate the jump since you've been seeing the evolution of resolution and how movies look in so many ways. Granted, the leap in what you see from 1080p to 4k is not as great as VHS to laser, but still noticeable with the new movies.
Yeah I have the German import of the UHD Texas Chainsaw Massacre and doesn't look much better all because it's very grainy and the only difference is resolution. HDR is where you really notice the difference (such as Oblivion as you mentioned).
Old 09-16-16, 12:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Yeah I have the German import of the UHD Texas Chainsaw Massacre and doesn't look much better all because it's very grainy and the only difference is resolution. HDR is where you really notice the difference (such as Oblivion as you mentioned).
'Oblivion' though has been savagely criticized as being 'softer' looking than the bluray edition. Why and how Universal could degrade the UHD to be inferior is beyond me --- I plan on watching the Dolby Vision version at some point over the weekend.
Old 09-16-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
'Oblivion' though has been savagely criticized as being 'softer' looking than the bluray edition. Why and how Universal could degrade the UHD to be inferior is beyond me --- I plan on watching the Dolby Vision version at some point over the weekend.
I don't have that movie (I might have purchased it by now but obviously after the bad reviews I will pass), and I agree it was a mistake to soften that up in the transfer process. Don't know wtf happened. I guess in that case ignorance is bliss as the HDR is very good and from most people's accounts is the better watch, even if a little softer (which it isn't actually in all the movie and is sharper in some areas...rather odd).
Old 09-16-16, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by F For Fake
Thanks, this is exactly the sort of input I was looking for. I think you understand where I'm coming from perfectly. I'm going to check out some more 65" sets, maybe see if there are any holiday deals coming up. Thanks again!
No problem. And keep in mind that 2017 model TV's will start coming out, right around the holidays. So look out for the 2016 ones to drop in price. Just remember to look for those that have HDR (or if you're looking for a Vizio or LG, they'll have both Dolby Vision and HDR). Note that Vizio is the best bang for the buck, but they do not have 3D. So weigh your pros/cons about having it. I personally get much more out of home viewing of 3D than in theaters. To the point I usually skip the theater and just pick up the 3D set when the home release comes out.

Originally Posted by Giles
I don't recall noticing a softer look, but then again I never did any side by side comparisons. But all the scenes where they're up in the clouds, those look so damn good. Reference I would say.
Old 09-16-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice that I finally have company here in someone else besides me enjoying UHD Blu-ray. Now I don't feel like such an oddball.
Old 09-16-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of input I was looking for. I think you understand where I'm coming from perfectly. I'm going to check out some more 65" sets, maybe see if there are any holiday deals coming up. Thanks again!
Before going out and dishing good money on a 4K TV and a UHD-BD player, make sure you're happy with the titles that available for the format currently (both in quality and quantity). Hardware is pointless without software.

Personally, there isn't a single title I'd want to own available on the format right now. There are a few movies I thought were decent, but nothing I feel the need to own and re-watch.
Old 09-16-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Personally, there isn't a single title I'd want to own available on the format right now. There are a few movies I thought were decent, but nothing I feel the need to own and re-watch.
Not even the original Ghostbusters or Labyrinth? I'd think Deadpool, The Revenant, Sicario, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Martian would make a lot of folks' lists.

There's not a wealth of spectacular titles right now, but we're only six months in.

It'll probably be another year or so until I'm able to buy in. (My wife loves the idea of me going nuts with my home theater again, but she wants me to wait until we're in our next house, which...fingers crossed...will hopefully start being built next summer.)
Old 09-16-16, 01:31 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm waiting for the OLEDs with HDR to come down under $2k. But if I had to buy a TV today, I'd still want a decent set with HDR and Dolby Vision like this one for $1699:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019O5F8CQ/
Old 09-16-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not even the original Ghostbusters or Labyrinth? I'd think Deadpool, The Revenant, Sicario, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Martian would make a lot of folks' lists.
I enjoyed most of them for the most part (Revanent was overrated), but not enough to own any of them. I'm not falling into the trap that most of us did with DVD. It has to be a great film and re-watchable for me to purchase it (assuming the transfer is good)..

Also, I'm not spending more than $15 (normally $10 or less) on a BD currently (with the exception of a few Criterions). So right now, even if the films available on UHD-BD fit my quality/re-watchability criteria - I'm not spending $35+ CAD (plus tax) on average for a UHD-BD. That's insane in 2016.

I had around 230 DVDs, but only have about 25 BDs. I don't need movies sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
Old 09-16-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'm waiting for the OLEDs with HDR to come down under $2k. But if I had to buy a TV today, I'd still want a decent set with HDR and Dolby Vision like this one for $1699:
Pretty much in the same boat. Going to want a good OLED at 65". I'd be willing to go up to $3K for a display but it better be the bee's knees.
Old 09-16-16, 01:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Before going out and dishing good money on a 4K TV and a UHD-BD player, make sure you're happy with the titles that available for the format currently (both in quality and quantity). Hardware is pointless without software.

It sounds like he wants in for the technology jump. And I'm guessing he's already aware of the 4k titles available. And there's also a lot more fairly good 4k content on Netflix/Amazon/etc.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There's not a wealth of spectacular titles right now, but we're only six months in.

It'll probably be another year or so until I'm able to buy in. (My wife loves the idea of me going nuts with my home theater again, but she wants me to wait until we're in our next house, which...fingers crossed...will hopefully start being built next summer.)
That's just it, we're only 6 months in. This is still sort of in the early adopter's mode. But I'm liking it so far. And good luck on the house! That's what I'm in the middle of right now, rebuilding my home theater after my electronics bit the dust from a lightning strike.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Pretty much in the same boat. Going to want a good OLED at 65". I'd be willing to go up to $3K for a display but it better be the bee's knees.
LG has 65" OLED with Dolby Vision and HDR (and 3D for the 3 of us who like it) for $3997 right now. So the price is getting more palatable. I'm guessing within the next year or two, sales at around $3k for a good OLED with the bells and whistles will be had.
Old 09-16-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a bad example, as it was shot on very grainy film. More standard 35mm features, even older ones, should look better on UHD.
Old 09-16-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a bad example, as it was shot on very grainy film. More standard 35mm features, even older ones, should look better on UHD.
Yes I'm sure. But I've already seen many examples of what 4k non-HDR movies look like, through Sony's download service. Their bit rate is approximate to what UHD BD is now, so it can be assumed the UHD BD would look similar (if they don't have HDR like TCM). The more high profile and newer movies can look significantly better if viewed from an appreciate distance. Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai are two that really stand out. Not only because they are in excellent condition, but because they have a lot of scenes with fine detail that make the 4K resolution more apparent (close-ups or scenes that don't have a lot of distinct detail show little improvement, IMO).

But other movies, like It Happened One Night or Fury (which I previewed) and some others I can't remember, look very little improved from being in 4k resolution (if at all) and most people would be disappointed. It really depends on the condition of the negative or print, much more so it seems than with Blu-ray, because you're really getting into diminishing returns with anything less than perfection.
Old 09-16-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd definitely wait for holiday deals. TV's are always quite a bit cheaper then.

If you can though, my advice would be to wait until next year. TV prices continue to fall year over year. And for UHD BD, we're not even through the first year yet, so media and player prices are still quite high, and there's not a huge selection of media. If you can wait till next year, you'll be able to get more TV for your money, UHD player prices will probably fall by $100 or more, and older media prices might hit $15 or less.

Right now you're still in the early adopter high pricing phase. Next year, you can probably save 30-40% off of today's prices.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
No problem. And keep in mind that 2017 model TV's will start coming out, right around the holidays
Nah, new TV's don't usually start coming out until after CES in January of each year.

Last edited by TheBang; 09-16-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
How often do you guys buy tvs on average? If I bought a new one now, I doubt I'd replace it unless it broke for at least 7 to 10 years, but my parents used to ride them into the ground.
Probably about 4-5 years. Display technology is moving so much faster than back in our parents' days. TV technology from the 70's-90's didn't change that much, so yeah, you could keep the same TV around for years on end and not be missing out on much.

But since the transition to HD, and now 4K, there have been so many advances. Just 12-13 years ago, CRT TV's were the dominant format, and HDMI didn't exist. Since then, you can't even buy CRT TV's anymore. LCD screens became dominant, along with the transition to HD and HDMI. LED backlights were added. 3D added. Larger and larger screens for cheaper and cheaper prices. OLED. Then 4K, HDR, etc.
Old 09-17-16, 12:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

well wow, I can't compare the UHD to the 'Dolby Vision' streaming version of 'Oblivion', but the swashes of monochromatic color schemes were damn impressive; as well as a distinct sharpness - Universal should have just waited for 2017 to release these 'Dolby' discs to the market. 'Lucy' is equally if not the superior of the two I've just seen - bring 'em, thank you Universal and Vudu

Last edited by Giles; 09-17-16 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Curious about Philips and Panasonic.

I think Philips has a UBD player now but they don't make new TVs anymore?

Panasonic might release a UBD player? I read that they quit making LCD HDTVs and are focusing on OLED HDTVs.
Old 09-17-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Panasonic's player is out in the U.S. now.

Philips has two players -- well, the same one, in two colors -- now.
Old 09-17-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Did people see Sony's player?

https://davidsusilouncensored.wordpr...versal-player/

The big key for me is that the Sony UBP-X1000E also plays SACD in native DSD.
Old 09-17-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wonder what the pricing on that Sony UBP will be? More than $300?
Old 09-17-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It'll be stratospheric.
Old 09-17-16, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Wonder what the pricing on that Sony UBP will be? More than $300?
Well, their current premium player, the UHP-H1 is only 4k upscaling...and it's $350. So well north of that i imagine.
Old 09-17-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I see Oppo is coming out with a 4K player.

https://www.oppodigital.com/uhd/
Old 09-17-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is the set I own. But I got it when it was brand new, so I payed almost a grand more for it.
Old 09-18-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Because of the Xbox One S playing Ultra HD Blu-ray discs (I assume that's why, anyway), subscribers to Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked can currently get another 20% off of UHD BDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.