Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dvd?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dvd?

Old 11-17-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought the Hitchcock Signature collection on dvd, never got around to watching Foreign Correspondent, then bought the Criterion Blu from Costco when it came out.

A few years ago I traded someone for the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set which I had never seen and still haven't got around to watching. I sold it in anticipation of the Blu Ray set, which I haven't purchased, but will, just because I know I'll probably love it.

I guess I'm crazy.
Old 11-17-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dv

Fringe seasons 1, 2, and 3.
Old 11-17-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dv

Ironically, also (different) friends gave me the dvd sets of seasons 4 and 5 of Fringe which I didn't watch at all, until I got the bluray versions of seasons 4 and 5 which I did watch.

(Though previously I watched season 5 of Fringe in its original first-run broadcast).
Old 11-17-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Plenty of times.
Old 11-17-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More times than I care to admit.
Old 11-17-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep.
Old 11-17-14, 08:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Many times unfortunately.
Old 11-17-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure I have at least a few times but I've tried to avoid doing so to be honest.
Old 11-17-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too many times. I imagine it happens with regularity by the bigger DVD collectors.
Old 11-17-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On this note, does anyone recommend an app for iPhone where I can just scan a barcode and have it get uploaded into a collectio or database? I have a DVDaf profile but I don't have the time to manually type everything in so I get a backlog of 100+ titles which never gets catalogued.
Old 11-17-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
On this note, does anyone recommend an app for iPhone where I can just scan a barcode and have it get uploaded into a collectio or database? I have a DVDaf profile but I don't have the time to manually type everything in so I get a backlog of 100+ titles which never gets catalogued.
I use My Movies for iPhone.
Old 11-17-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the last time I did this was for the Godfather collection.
Old 11-17-14, 10:25 PM
Banned

nope.
Old 11-18-14, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never blind bought. There are lifelong favorite movies I've seen numerous times that the dvd was still sealed when I upgraded to the Blu-ray.
Old 11-18-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plenty of times.
Old 11-18-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quite a few yes.
Old 11-18-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Nope- one of my rules to keep me from buying too many discs is that if I haven't watched something I already have on my current setup, I can't buy a new copy of it regardless of how much better it might be. I've extended that rule to even include stuff I have on VHS now. There's a chance I might decide I don't like the movie enough to buy it again. (Only exceptions were for HD-DVDs since I only had one chance to buy some of those before they went away completely, and also for D-VHS.)
Old 11-18-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.
Old 11-18-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been pretty good at not doing that.
Old 11-18-14, 07:14 PM

Many times unfortunately. I have also bought a DVD, then the Blu Ray, and then bought the same Blu Ray again without checking my collection.
Old 11-18-14, 09:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. I spend too much time debating whether or not to buy it in the first place to consider upgrading before I've even watched it.
Old 11-19-14, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buy VHS-do not open, get rid of that for awesome Laser Disc and aspect ratio s and commentaries yes! , no Dvd is the plan definitely-Hello HD er No Blu Ray it is! Wait 4k? More times then watched I imagine.
Old 11-19-14, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chadm View Post

A few years ago I traded someone for the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set which I had never seen and still haven't got around to watching. I sold it in anticipation of the Blu Ray set, which I haven't purchased, but will, just because I know I'll probably love it.

I guess I'm crazy.
Yeah I would guess most of us here are A little bit crazy.

Twin Peaks is very good,but I still need to finished watching my DVD set.I do not plan to upgrade to blu-ray.

And yes I have upgrade to blu-ray on some movies/shows and have never watched yet.
Example
Weeds:I own most seasons on DVD and bought the blu-rays when they
went on sale for around $10/12 A season.
Amazon has some seasons used for around $5 now.
Now I bought the complete blu-ray set at gohasting for around $60.
Yeah I know..lol
Old 11-19-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, a number of times. For 2001 I went one further by ignoring the BD for years, and saw it in theaters (last weekend), but I'm happy with that decision.
Old 11-19-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.