DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dvd? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/623588-have-you-ever-blind-bought-dvd-then-upgraded-blu-ray-without-watching-dvd.html)

Hazel Motes 11-17-14 06:03 PM

Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dvd?

I bought the Hitchcock Signature collection on dvd, never got around to watching Foreign Correspondent, then bought the Criterion Blu from Costco when it came out.

A few years ago I traded someone for the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set which I had never seen and still haven't got around to watching. I sold it in anticipation of the Blu Ray set, which I haven't purchased, but will, just because I know I'll probably love it.

I guess I'm crazy.

morriscroy 11-17-14 06:08 PM

Re: Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dv

Fringe seasons 1, 2, and 3.

morriscroy 11-17-14 06:12 PM

Re: Have you ever blind bought a dvd then upgraded to Blu Ray without watching the dv

Ironically, also (different) friends gave me the dvd sets of seasons 4 and 5 of Fringe which I didn't watch at all, until I got the bluray versions of seasons 4 and 5 which I did watch.

(Though previously I watched season 5 of Fringe in its original first-run broadcast).

Arthur Dent 11-17-14 06:18 PM

Plenty of times.

Hadrian7 11-17-14 06:26 PM

More times than I care to admit.

E Unit 11-17-14 08:42 PM

Yep.

Trevor 11-17-14 08:54 PM

Many times unfortunately.

Mike86 11-17-14 09:07 PM

I'm sure I have at least a few times but I've tried to avoid doing so to be honest.

PhantomStranger 11-17-14 09:13 PM

Too many times. I imagine it happens with regularity by the bigger DVD collectors.

Hadrian7 11-17-14 09:51 PM

On this note, does anyone recommend an app for iPhone where I can just scan a barcode and have it get uploaded into a collectio or database? I have a DVDaf profile but I don't have the time to manually type everything in so I get a backlog of 100+ titles which never gets catalogued.

Why So Blu? 11-17-14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 (Post 12305779)
On this note, does anyone recommend an app for iPhone where I can just scan a barcode and have it get uploaded into a collectio or database? I have a DVDaf profile but I don't have the time to manually type everything in so I get a backlog of 100+ titles which never gets catalogued.

I use My Movies for iPhone.

mrhan 11-17-14 10:19 PM

I think the last time I did this was for the Godfather collection.

Solid Snake 11-17-14 10:25 PM

nope.

rw2516 11-18-14 05:04 AM

Never blind bought. There are lifelong favorite movies I've seen numerous times that the dvd was still sealed when I upgraded to the Blu-ray.

Maxflier 11-18-14 08:40 AM

Plenty of times.

manicsounds 11-18-14 09:20 AM

Quite a few yes.

Alan Smithee 11-18-14 02:25 PM

Nope- one of my rules to keep me from buying too many discs is that if I haven't watched something I already have on my current setup, I can't buy a new copy of it regardless of how much better it might be. I've extended that rule to even include stuff I have on VHS now. There's a chance I might decide I don't like the movie enough to buy it again. (Only exceptions were for HD-DVDs since I only had one chance to buy some of those before they went away completely, and also for D-VHS.)

BuckNaked2k 11-18-14 05:19 PM

Yes. -ohbfrank-

The Valeyard 11-18-14 06:47 PM

I've been pretty good at not doing that.

J. Philip 11-18-14 07:14 PM

Many times unfortunately. I have also bought a DVD, then the Blu Ray, and then bought the same Blu Ray again without checking my collection.

kd5 11-18-14 09:42 PM

No. I spend too much time debating whether or not to buy it in the first place to consider upgrading before I've even watched it.

IamLegend 11-19-14 02:05 AM

Buy VHS-do not open, get rid of that for awesome Laser Disc and aspect ratio s and commentaries yes! , no Dvd is the plan definitely-Hello HD er No Blu Ray it is! Wait 4k? More times then watched I imagine.

JoeySeven 11-19-14 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm (Post 12305533)

A few years ago I traded someone for the Twin Peaks Gold Box dvd set which I had never seen and still haven't got around to watching. I sold it in anticipation of the Blu Ray set, which I haven't purchased, but will, just because I know I'll probably love it.

I guess I'm crazy.

Yeah I would guess most of us here are A little bit crazy.:D

Twin Peaks is very good,but I still need to finished watching my DVD set.I do not plan to upgrade to blu-ray.

And yes I have upgrade to blu-ray on some movies/shows and have never watched yet.
Example
Weeds:I own most seasons on DVD and bought the blu-rays when they
went on sale for around $10/12 A season.
Amazon has some seasons used for around $5 now.
Now I bought the complete blu-ray set at gohasting for around $60.
Yeah I know..lol

bluetoast 11-19-14 10:27 AM

Yes, a number of times. For 2001 I went one further by ignoring the BD for years, and saw it in theaters (last weekend), but I'm happy with that decision.

asianxcore 11-19-14 10:38 AM

Nope!