Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you have Blu-ray remorse?
Yes
14.56%
No
63.11%
What are you high?
22.33%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 02:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i seem to be getting this more and more as i buy more and more and realize the lack of space i have. i was cleaning out my storage room from when i moved 8 mos. ago and see all these DVD's and i am thinking i used to love to buy DVD's and couldn't wait. now, they are an eye sore and just take up too much damn space. plus, the ones i love and enjoy i rebought on Blu...

now, i care about my Blu-rays more. i still love buying them and eventually watching them ugh! i love where they are set up in a closet in nice Target drawers. but, now the lack of space is going to bother me and more and more i would rather have streaming media for movies i might blind buy rather than having the movies i love that i mostly get on Blu-ray.

you know? are you starting to feel it??
Old 07-24-14, 02:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

I took a hard look at my racks of Blu-rays yesterday, and kind of came to the same conclusion. There's a ton of titles that I bought that I really shouldn't have bothered with. There's still a bunch that I want to keep for various reasons, but yeah... a lot of dumb stuff that I don't need to own.
Old 07-24-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Not really, but maybe because I think I learned my lessons from DVD buying. I buy a lot less these days ... and no more blind buys, releases that don't get top-notch reviews, or things that I'm just getting because it "fills the collection".

My DVD collection on the other hand ... when I moved a couple of years ago, I outright junked stuff. Which would've been unthinkable when I was spending so much money buying this stuff in the first place. Unless there's some packaging or OOP value, I'd just as soon rip the movies to a digital format and save the space. But even that doesn't seem worth the time when there's an HD release.

Last edited by brainee; 07-24-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not so much anymore, because I've realized I've been wasting money on stuff I'll watch once and never again.

I'm up to over 300 BDs, and it's just too damn much. I'm pruning some titles this weekend and will be making a trip to the local record store to get some sort of return, but altogether this year besides the B&N Criterion sale I've only bought 4 movies (and that's only because of low first-day-only pricing and store exclusive bonus discs that would've sold for more on eBay afterwards).

I saw an auction where a guy was selling most of his collection, and he remarked "I'm a collector, not a watcher." I realized that's what was happening to me, and with how much of a cheapskate I am that doesn't make sense.
Old 07-24-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

You might have regrets but if you sell them who is going to buy them and where can you sell them?

Nobody responds ever to craiglist ads and Ebay is not an option.
Old 07-24-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The only "Blu-ray remorse" I have is that it never caught on with the public the way DVD did. The result is less available product and less in terms of really using Blu-ray for what it's capable of (picture-in-picture commentaries, interactive online activities, and more).
Old 07-24-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I would say no. I like collecting films and having a physical copy and couldn't see myself going the all streaming route. I try and limit blind buys and only get stuff I'll rewatch but I've got a pretty big collection built up. Sometimes I wish I had a better way of displaying my collection and I'm out of room at the moment but I'll get it more organized at some point.
Old 07-24-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I haven't reached a remorse phase yet.

I'm probably more in the "apathy" or "I don't care anymore" phase. (I only started buying a lot of blurays in 2012).

I have very little to no interest in the current slate of bluray new releases.
Old 07-24-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't have remorse at all. Sometimes I wish I had more discipline with blind buys, but I can't give that up. It doesn't always pan out, but when I discover something I love that I couldn't have been exposed to any other way, it makes the misses worth it.

I love the collecting aspect almost as much as the watching, so I don't mind if I rarely re-watch some of the BDs I own. The fact that they're there if I want to re-watch and will look amazing in my dedicated front-projection home theater is enough.
Old 07-24-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Yep. I own about 200 and realized I buy more than I have time to watch. So I just joined Netflix Blu. I just went digital with all my media.

$10 Spotify
$10 Kindle Unlimited
$15 NextIssue magazines
$22 Netflix Blu
$8 Netflix Streaming
$8 Hulu Streaming
$9 Amazon Prime

$82 a month for movies, TV, music, books, and magazines, all delivered to my door. I have the most basic cable ($160 for cable, Internet, phone) and don't go to the movies. Don't buy CDs. Going completely subscription based works for me in the long run, and no storage issues.
Old 07-24-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Nope. As others mentioned, I stopped Blind-Buying, which in turn gave me more money to purchase films I actually want.

I also don't feel the need to upgrade every DVD I own to Blu-Ray. I'm perfectly happy with owning DVDs and Blu-Rays.
Old 07-24-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

That much streaming becomes a timesink with too many choices, trust me.
Old 07-24-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I train for triathlons at home. Makes 5-7 hours of biking and 1-5+ hours of running a week go by quick
Old 07-24-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't have remorse at all. Sometimes I wish I had more discipline with blind buys, but I can't give that up. It doesn't always pan out, but when I discover something I love that I couldn't have been exposed to any other way, it makes the misses worth it.

I love the collecting aspect almost as much as the watching, so I don't mind if I rarely re-watch some of the BDs I own. The fact that they're there if I want to re-watch and will look amazing in my dedicated front-projection home theater is enough.
I'm similar in my feelings with blind buys. For some films I'd have never seen them or in some cases know they even existed if it weren't for spotting something interesting in the store, reading the synopsis, and buying it. Granted it might not always be the smartest way to watch something and there are misses but it can be a fun way to discover great films or shows. I do try and limit it though and usually if they're over a certain price point I'll do more research.
Old 07-24-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

No remorse here. Been on Blu since November 2006. I've gotten 95% of the films I care about in a high quality format which is superior to any streaming service and is available at my fingertips without having to worry about license agreements, bandwidth problems, etc. I'll be happy to maintain a space for my discs and the equipment for years to come.

I will continue to buy every catalog title that comes out for which I just have a DVD. I have definitely put the brakes on blind buying though given the resale market is pretty much not worth it for a number of reasons. So I will use streaming for rentals, but if I like the film, I will buy it on Blu-ray as long as that's an option.
Old 07-24-14, 05:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^^yeah, for every amazing blind buy (Triangle!), there's always one or more duds (Her! )
Old 07-24-14, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I also don't feel the need to upgrade every DVD I own to Blu-Ray. I'm perfectly happy with owning DVDs and Blu-Rays.
I'll only upgrade if I find the bluray for $5 or $6 (or less).
Old 07-24-14, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Voted No and wish I could vote for 'Are you High?' too. Just playing Oldboy.
Old 07-24-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Yep. I own about 200 and realized I buy more than I have time to watch. So I just joined Netflix Blu. I just went digital with all my media.

$10 Spotify
$10 Kindle Unlimited
$15 NextIssue magazines
$22 Netflix Blu
$8 Netflix Streaming
$8 Hulu Streaming
$9 Amazon Prime

$82 a month for movies, TV, music, books, and magazines, all delivered to my door. I have the most basic cable ($160 for cable, Internet, phone) and don't go to the movies. Don't buy CDs. Going completely subscription based works for me in the long run, and no storage issues.
I guess that's fine if you actually use all those services, but for me there are certain months where I'll get a lot of stuff and certain ones where I barely buy anything. Plus I always feel like I should be watching more stuff when I'm subscribed to a service like that or it just feels wasteful to me. At least I know with a Blu-ray or DVD it's something tangible that I own and will watch even if it's not always right away.
Old 07-24-14, 08:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I think the expansion of so much digital content available instantly has made me regret much of my physical media.

I look around at my bookcases and boxes and closets full of movies, books, games, music, and comics; and while I'm glad I own it all, I realize that every single piece of it is available in my personal hard drives, account 'clouds', or internet at least; and doesn't need to be taking up space.

I'll never get to even 2% of it unless all entertainment creation stops; then I'll happily live off what I own for the next few decades.

I never thought I'd say this, but if I knew then what I know now; I wouldn't own more than a handful of DVDs and BDs.

Darn, that was a quite incoherent ramble that I could probably change my mind on hourly..... Haven't been sleeping enough....
Old 07-24-14, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think the expansion of so much digital content available instantly has made me regret much of my physical media.

I look around at my bookcases and boxes and closets full of movies, books, games, music, and comics; and while I'm glad I own it all, I realize that every single piece of it is available in my personal hard drives, account 'clouds', or internet at least; and doesn't need to be taking up space.

I'll never get to even 2% of it unless all entertainment creation stops; then I'll happily live off what I own for the next few decades.

I never thought I'd say this, but if I knew then what I know now; I wouldn't own more than a handful of DVDs and BDs.

Darn, that was a quite incoherent ramble that I could probably change my mind on hourly..... Haven't been sleeping enough....
If I had done more extensive research into streaming/download options back in 2009 and 2010, most likely I would have never started buying a lot of dvds/blurays in 2011.

(Before 2011, I had very little to no interest in dvds and blurays).
Old 07-24-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I have no remorse. Yes, I purchased alot of crap, but I've also made alot of great purchases of films with great extras and lots of replay value.

Only problem is that I have more stuff, streaming and Directv than I have time to watch. Probably about 60% of what I watch weekly on TV, I'm up to date with. Others I fall months behind. And yes, I try to see at least 3-4 movies in the theater per month. With streaming, renting at my local video store, and Directv, I have purchased alot less now. I'm getting pretty selective on only getting stuff that I really enjoyed and has replay value.
Old 07-24-14, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I saw an auction where a guy was selling most of his collection, and he remarked "I'm a collector, not a watcher." I realized that's what was happening to me, and with how much of a cheapskate I am that doesn't make sense.
This sounded like me when it came to music cds, back in 1990's and early->mid 2000's.

Towards the end, I was searching and buying a lot of limited edition cd releases which largely turned out to be shit. Stuff like cd compilations of old demo tapes, live tapes, unreleased albums, etc ...
Old 07-24-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That much streaming becomes a timesink with too many choices, trust me.
I think it works both ways. There's always more stuff than you can watch, but especially if you're only going to watch most of it once, streaming at least physically feels like there isn't as much wasted space.
Old 07-24-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

No remorse here. I buy quite a lot, but much of it with the intention of having it subsidize another purchase down the road.

Since May, every disc purchase I've made has been budgeted for by something else that I've just sold off, usually another movie or book. Space is a problem, but that's another incentive to go in and weed out the collection periodically.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.