Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Originally Posted by Josh Z
FX is just the broadcast outlet. The executives at the network have no say about what gets released on Blu-ray.

All of the shows you mention are produced and distributed on home video by 20th Century Fox. Obviously, Fox is the parent company of FX. However, Fox produces shows for a lot of other networks too. Rather than worry about whether FX is ditching Blu-ray, you should worry about what Fox as a whole is doing with TV on Blu.
Yeah, I think people are more than aware of who the production company is. Aside from The Simpsons and Futurama (which has concluded and was airing on Comedy Central), no other Fox comedies have been released on BD like their FX slate of programming -- unless you count the two Family Guy Star Wars specials and the upscale convert of Blue Harvest.

I'm sure that's what the OP was going for with this thread.
Old 06-25-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, but what is MoD? Movie on demand?
Old 06-25-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Sorry, but what is MoD? Movie on demand?
Manufactured on demand. It's done on DVD-R.
Old 06-25-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I was pretty disappointed that the third season of Louie didn't even get an official release, let alone a Blu-ray release. Luckily the only other show I collect from Fox on Blu-ray is The Simpsons. Hopefully they continue releasing both DVD and Blu-ray sets for it.
Old 06-25-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Manufactured on demand. It's done on DVD-R.
Ah, for some reason I've never heard of that done on Blu Ray.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 06-25-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Ah, for some reason I've never heard of that done on Blu Ray.
The only MOD-BDs I'm aware of are those in the Warner Archive.
Old 06-25-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
The only MOD-BDs I'm aware of are those in the Warner Archive.
They aren't actually MOD. Warner Archive confirmed on Twitter:

And note: WAC Blu-ray discs are regular ones, not MOD. They're distributed through our system, but manufactured in small batches.
I only have a couple of Warner Archive BDs, and at least those few aren't BD-Rs.
Old 06-25-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Warner looked into BD-Rs for their Archive program but found replicating a 1000 units was cheaper than trying to piecemeal it with BD-Rs. BD-Rs are not cheap even in bulk.

It's no secret that comedies don't sell as well on Blu-ray and I imagine television comedies sell even poorer. It's kind of a shame on a series like Wilfred, where the first couple of seasons are already on BD.
Old 06-25-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Between stuff like this and exclusive features winding up on full series sets, there seems like there is next no incentive to by a TV series on disc season by season.
Old 06-25-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Between stuff like this and exclusive features winding up on full series sets, there seems like there is next no incentive to by a TV series on disc season by season.
The main reason I support series season by season on DVD or Blu-ray is that I always worry that if enough of us don't buy them the numbers start to slip and the studios use that as an indicator to not release anymore sets.
Old 06-25-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The main reason I support series season by season on DVD or Blu-ray is that I always worry that if enough of us don't buy them the numbers start to slip and the studios use that as an indicator to not release anymore sets.
That's the reason I supported the TNG sets year by year even though $60 per season isn't exactly attractive on my media budget. CBS put in alot of work into those sets, and I think I as a fan of show & would like to own the show should support it when the studio can profit and be inclined to produce more sets.

Going back to FX shows on BD, FOX is still producing Sons of Anarchy on BD each year. Obviously it helps that it's probably one of the most popular shows on cable TV and FX's highest rated drama. That's probably why sales for it warrant BDs each year.
Old 06-25-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

My problem with the lack of, specifically, BD support is that I've usually already watched the series in HD, either via broadcast or other means. I can't justify buying a worse quality format like DVD.

I find a lot of UK shows are like this.
Old 06-25-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Warner looked into BD-Rs for their Archive program but found replicating a 1000 units was cheaper than trying to piecemeal it with BD-Rs. BD-Rs are not cheap even in bulk.

It's no secret that comedies don't sell as well on Blu-ray and I imagine television comedies sell even poorer. It's kind of a shame on a series like Wilfred, where the first couple of seasons are already on BD.
It wasn't because replicating 1000 units is cheaper as much as because BD-R is too unstable and there are too many players on the market that won't play BD-R. So it's not worth the hassle of having lots of complaints.

Too bad, because if 1000 is the minimum feasible pressing quantity, that eliminates a lot of movies that otherwise could easily be released on BD-R.
Old 06-25-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Fox has been quiet this year with their BD catalog, so not surprised if that has extended to the TV on BD.
Old 06-25-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've considered that a lot - it does seem like a self-fulfilling prophecy. But the studios have also proven on many occasions that it pays to wait for a full series set.

I bought the TNG Blu sets one at a time too because those had a very high likelihood of being completed.
Old 06-25-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

More generally.

With the exception of Warner/HBO (and maybe Paramount to a lesser extent), it seems like everybody else has already hit the "we don't care anymore" phase when it comes to tv on bluray.
Old 06-25-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wish more studios would just do limited runs of Blu-rays instead of avoiding them completely. If Warner Archive Collection can do it, surely Fox could as well.
Old 06-25-14, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
The League Season 5 was announced yesterday for DVD only, whereas all 4 seasons have been released on BD so far.
There's been similar rumblings about the recent announcement of season 4 of the revived Hawaii Five-0. (ie. An official dvd announcement but with very little mentioned about a possible bluray version).
Old 06-25-14, 05:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wezzo
Yes, Bob's Burgers, Last Man Standing, The Glades and The Killing are all MOD releases now, and American Dad is going to be, too.
Raising Hope is another one. I don't buy these MODs since I can see all of these in HD on Netflix instant.
Old 06-25-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by morriscroy
More generally.

With the exception of Warner/HBO (and maybe Paramount to a lesser extent), it seems like everybody else has already hit the "we don't care anymore" phase when it comes to tv on bluray.
The sale numbers on Blu-ray television sets were always iffy and studios see streaming as a viable replacement for those diehards that need to watch a show in HD after it has broadcast.

Almost all disposable television content will be migrated towards streaming and digital purchases in the future.
Old 06-26-14, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hugely disappointed that Louie Season 3 is MOD only. I would be fine with the stupid BD/DVD combo thing the did for Season 1 at this point.

Now I see they are doing the same with Bob's Burgers Season 3 and the discs contain FOX ads before and after every episode?
Old 06-26-14, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by goblin23
Now I see they are doing the same with Bob's Burgers Season 3 and the discs contain FOX ads before and after every episode?
I was just looking at the reviews, all of the complaints about the commercials are about the digital download versions, not the DVD.
Old 06-26-14, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wezzo
Yes, Bob's Burgers, Last Man Standing, The Glades and The Killing are all MOD releases now, and American Dad is going to be, too.
Ugh, I had a feeling American Dad would be next. MODs is where I draw the line.
Old 06-26-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the move to MOD I'm buying less and less on home video. For those of us that have consistently purchased these FX titles on Blu-ray this is an even bigger insult to go from Blu-ray to MOD. I have every season of Archer, The League, and Wilfred on Blu-ray. Why would I purchase remaining seasons on DVD? Not only is it a decrease in the audio/visual department, it's also just going to screw up my collection and organization.

I hate this move to streaming, but if they're going to force me to pay for a sub-standard product then I just won't buy it. Sorry Raising Hope, Bob's Burgers, and American Dad but I can't justify it (especially when they cost as much and sometimes more than REAL DVDs!!!)
Old 06-27-14, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They realize that sales will practically vanish for shows that go MOD. I have all these shows on Blu-ray and will not purchase a MOD DVD-R set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.