Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Speaking of LOST.

At the time it was a must watch for us when it was out. At some point we started getting tired of waiting for the final payoff ending but stuck with it till the letdown ending. I just can't imagine wanting to rewatch it all over again, let alone wanting to pay to own it.
Old 02-26-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I recall LOST having really good surround sound. I'm not sure why a TV show wouldn't be deserving of watching it in the best possible sound.
Because it's not important unless Gizmo says it is
I actually was using Hulu Desktop for free when that was working, most shows don't use 5.1 very well but Lost did.

Meanwhile I get the local news over the air for free in glorious 5.1. They tend to put the voices in the 3 front speakers, can't imagine how it sounds to people hearing it mixed down to 2-channel.
Old 02-26-18, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Because it's not important unless Gizmo says it is
I actually was using Hulu Desktop for free when that was working, most shows don't use 5.1 very well but Lost did.

Meanwhile I get the local news over the air for free in glorious 5.1. They tend to put the voices in the 3 front speakers, can't imagine how it sounds to people hearing it mixed down to 2-channel.
So go buy the discs. Not everyone needs 5.1 for a TV Show. You have no problem watching stuff on CED and VHS but apparently HD and 2.0 isn’t good enough?
Old 02-26-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
So go buy the discs. Not everyone needs 5.1 for a TV Show. You have no problem watching stuff on CED and VHS but apparently HD and 2.0 isn’t good enough?
It makes sense to him.

Though I can't believe he doesn't already have Lost on blu-ray among his hoarde of media.
Old 02-26-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Not everyone needs 5.1 for a TV Show.
Eh, even Hulu fanatics (rightly) complain about this on the service's forums. It's one thing to say that they're not ready for 4K or HDR (even though competing services like Amazon Video and Netflix have long since figured that out). It's even understandable to not offer Dolby Atmos (even though...yeah). But to be limited to stereo only? C'mon.
Old 02-26-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Speaking of Blu-ray for television, the first five seasons of South Park together are showing up in Walmarts for $40.

Comedy Central waited too long to really maximize these South Park sales. This set should have come out ten years ago, not this week.
Old 02-26-18, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Eh, even Hulu fanatics (rightly) complain about this on the service's forums. It's one thing to say that they're not ready for 4K or HDR (even though competing services like Amazon Video and Netflix have long since figured that out). It's even understandable to not offer Dolby Atmos (even though...yeah). But to be limited to stereo only? C'mon.
I believe Hulu stopped offering 4k a while ago. They only have a few shows and movies and all of them removed the 4k moniker as far as I’m aware.
Old 02-26-18, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Speaking of Blu-ray for television, the first five seasons of South Park together are showing up in Walmarts for $40.

Comedy Central waited too long to really maximize these South Park sales. This set should have come out ten years ago, not this week.
Comedy Central pisses me off. I want a complete set of the celebrity roasts uncensored.
Old 08-23-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How in the fuck is Charmed getting a blu ray release before Buffy, Angel, 24, etc.

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-23-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
How in the fuck is Charmed getting a blu ray release before Buffy, Angel, 24, etc.
Probably because of the Charmed reboot coming out this fall. The new show premieres on October 14, 2018. The Blu-ray comes out October 30, 2018. They can promote the Blu-ray release during commercial breaks of the new show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charmed_(2018_TV_series)
Old 08-23-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, at this point, TV on dvd/blu is essentially just marketing for a show's upcoming season.

Like, HBO's vice-principal's first season got a blu release, advertising it's second season. As it was conceived to be just two seasons, there was no third season to advertise, so the second season didn't even get a stand alone release, or a blu at all, just a cheap dvd bundle with the first season.
Old 08-23-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Probably because of the Charmed reboot coming out this fall. The new show premieres on October 14, 2018. The Blu-ray comes out October 30, 2018. They can promote the Blu-ray release during commercial breaks of the new show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charmed_(2018_TV_series)
So why not do a complete series then? It's almost being sent out to die with only one season being released.
Old 08-23-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So why not do a complete series then? It's almost being sent out to die with only one season being released.
If it were getting a budget release, I could see the appeal of doing the first season on its own, but with a hefty sticker price and the pretty much absolute certainty that Paramount won’t see it through to the end, I’m with you.
Old 08-23-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I would give or donate my left nut if they put Columbo on blu-ray.

I'm contemplating in modding my player and picking up the Australian blu-rays but I really don't want too.
Old 08-24-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

That would be easier than giving up your left nut.
Old 08-25-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I am glad my favorite show Miami Vice got a blu-ray release and probably the last physical media format it will be released on.