Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Days of Future Past Blu - Late Summer/Fall

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

X-Men: Days of Future Past Blu - Late Summer/Fall

Old 04-02-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past Blu - Late Summer/Fall

The real tipping point will be the initial sale price and what the attached movie the attached free ticket is for! It's a good bet there will be one. Might even be one of those more generic ones that can be used for any Summer movie from the same studio.
Old 04-02-15, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
As my wife is a huge Rogue fan, I will be buying it no matter the extras.....
A Rogue fan of the comics....or of the movies? Cuz Rogue doesn't do much really in the movies.Victim in the first one, bystander of participation in X2, and then she gets conflicted in X3 but really doesn't matter to the plot. Man, I dig this franchise for the most part, and as I've said before, but they really is a lot of wasted opportunities in it.
Old 04-02-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'll probably double dip on this. Might wait depending how much it is but I liked the film enough to rebuy it for the extended cut.
Old 04-03-15, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A Rogue fan of the comics....or of the movies? Cuz Rogue doesn't do much really in the movies.Victim in the first one, bystander of participation in X2, and then she gets conflicted in X3 but really doesn't matter to the plot. Man, I dig this franchise for the most part, and as I've said before, but they really is a lot of wasted opportunities in it.
Rogue fan in general. In fact she's the one who tipped me off about this release by posting the article in my fb wall.....
Old 04-03-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Will single-dip on this as I never bought the first Blu Ray in anticipation of this release (save a digital copy of the movie from Amazon). Hope the extras are good in this set.
Old 04-03-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm slightly annoyed that the extended cut release won't include the theatrical cut. I guess I'll wait and see what the general consensus is on the extended cut before deciding what to get.
Old 04-03-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No theatrical cut and no 3D version makes this a pass for me. I already have the 3D Sentinel Best Buy exclusive that I picked up for $15 during Christmas.
Old 04-03-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I wouldn't say she doesn't do much, particularly in first movie where she's basically the other main character aside from Wolverine that the audience follows along with. And as many issues that X3 has, her role as far as the whole Cure story is concerned is actually pretty meaningful.
Old 04-03-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wouldn't say she doesn't do much, particularly in first movie where she's basically the other main character aside from Wolverine that the audience follows along with. And as many issues that X3 has, her role as far as the whole Cure story is concerned is actually pretty meaningful.
...and goes completely against everything X-Men has ever been about.
Old 04-03-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rocket1312
...and goes completely against everything X-Men has ever been about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astonis...1.E2.80.936.29

I also disagree completely. X-Men has always been about mutants being different, and a story concerning eliminating those differences and whether some mutants would prefer a "normal" life is completely up their alley and makes complete sense as something to be explored by the franchise.
Old 04-03-15, 11:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, X3 was pretty bad but I always admired they had guts to do that.

Being incapable of feeling another person's touch is objectively awful and I imagine A LOT of people would rid themselves of that given the option.
Old 04-04-15, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
No theatrical cut and no 3D version makes this a pass for me. I already have the 3D Sentinel Best Buy exclusive that I picked up for $15 during Christmas.
The extended cut won't be in 3D, despite it being shot natively in 3D? The lack of a TC was bad enough. This is a pass for me. Although, I guess this is good news since the 3D release of the TC should be dirt cheap on Black Friday.
Old 04-04-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astonis...1.E2.80.936.29

I also disagree completely. X-Men has always been about mutants being different, and a story concerning eliminating those differences and whether some mutants would prefer a "normal" life is completely up their alley and makes complete sense as something to be explored by the franchise.
Of course the idea of a mutant cure is a perfect story to explore. It's the idea that Rogue would choose to take the cure that goes against everything the franchise has ever been about. Not that Singer is the arbiter of all things X-Men, but I'd be stunned if that had happened on his watch.
Old 04-04-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's where the metaphor gets a little shaky. I understand the implication: it's supposed to be like a gay person being "rehabilitated" as someone straight, etc. But I feel for Rogue. I have Aspergers and don't exactly love being touched, but her situation is unimaginable: no hugs, no handshakes, no kisses, no sex, no touches on the cheek, no human contact. In her situation, I wouldn't blame her for wanting a "cure." I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-04-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Of course the idea of a mutant cure is a perfect story to explore. It's the idea that Rogue would choose to take the cure that goes against everything the franchise has ever been about. Not that Singer is the arbiter of all things X-Men, but I'd be stunned if that had happened on his watch.
Oh, you should have been more specific on what you meant. I don't think someone choosing to be cured goes against everything the X-Men has been about at all, but don't disagree that seeing Rogue choose that option was a poor one.
Old 04-04-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't there an alternate ending (one of several) on the DVD/BD that showed her not having taken the cure?
Old 04-04-15, 07:25 PM
Banned

I think so.
Old 04-04-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'll probably end up Frankensteining my own complete set with the theatrical Blu-ray and the new release tossed inside the Best Buy exclusive.
Old 04-04-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any word on why the Extended Cut won't be in 3D? It made sense to me with The Wolverine since that was a conversion. But this was shot natively in 3D.
Old 04-05-15, 05:12 AM
Banned

Was it good in 3D?
Old 04-05-15, 07:17 AM
Banned

Bryan Singer via his twitter:

For the record the Rogue Cut of #Xmen #DOFP is more than 17 minutes longer than the original cut. And has a few little changes I made.
Old 04-05-15, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Any word on why the Extended Cut won't be in 3D? It made sense to me with The Wolverine since that was a conversion. But this was shot natively in 3D.
Shot natively in 3D is the biggest lie in the industry, just an FYI... All film are still post converted to an extent, especially if they have CGI elements.

If any shot in the "Rouge Cut" requires any, and I mean even a micro-second, of conversion; it was not going to be done in 3D. The removal/editing of the shots was done prior to the post-conversion needed for the rest of the film.

fitprod
Old 04-06-15, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fitprod
Shot natively in 3D is the biggest lie in the industry, just an FYI... All film are still post converted to an extent, especially if they have CGI elements.

If any shot in the "Rouge Cut" requires any, and I mean even a micro-second, of conversion; it was not going to be done in 3D. The removal/editing of the shots was done prior to the post-conversion needed for the rest of the film.

fitprod
Obviously new effects would need to be rendered in 3D (and, yes, I am aware that even footage shot in 3D sometimes needs to be post converted from one "eye" because the shot in question might be too disorienting as shot) but the movie was shot with 3D cameras. That's what I meant by shot natively in 3D.
Old 04-06-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

^ Quoted from the site that gives rave reviews to just about anything.

The general consensus on Days of Future Past is that, despite being shot in native 3D, the depth is extremely conservative and doesn't add much to the movie. Bryan Singer had the same issue with Jack the Giant Killer. I don't know why he bothers to go to the trouble of shooting in native 3D when he doesn't seem to like 3D very much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.