Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Halloween: The Complete Collection is coming to blu-ray

It's the OCD talking.
Old 05-26-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Could this mean, possibly, just possibly, we could FINALLY get a good version of Halloween: H20? Anamorphic widescreen in the PROPER aspect ratio?

It's only been, what, 16 years?
Old 05-26-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PatD
Could this mean, possibly, just possibly, we could FINALLY get a good version of Halloween: H20? Anamorphic widescreen in the PROPER aspect ratio?

The Canadian version has always had proper aspect ratio. Region Free, too.
Old 05-26-14, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The Canadian version has always had proper aspect ratio. Region Free, too.
I didn't know that. In the states we've just got crummy releases of H20 on DVD and Blu ray.
Old 05-26-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know that. In the states we've just got crummy releases of H20 on DVD and Blu ray.
http://www.amazon.ca/Halloween-Tripl...=halloween+h20
Old 05-26-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
I don't want to pay more. But if it meant that I could get a set without the Rob Zombie movies, I would. It would SO be worth it.
Paypal me $300, I will buy this set, remove the offending movies, and ship the rest to you
Old 05-27-14, 01:53 AM

They're not even the proper aspect ratio.
Old 05-27-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I've read nothing (yet) to indicate that any of the films are getting new transfers here. My guess is it will be the same Blu-ray that's already available (with perhaps new artwork and menus). Whether they take time to frame it properly is anyone's guess, but I would say it isn't likely.
Old 05-27-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, yeah they are. I own that set. I can guarantee that they're the same AR. The only difference if you can call it a difference is that Curse and H20 are in 1080i and Resurrection is in 1080p.
Old 05-27-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

H6 is slightly opened up from 1.85 to 1.78, but otherwise all 3 are in the correct ratio on the Canadian set.
Old 05-27-14, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
H6 is slightly opened up from 1.85 to 1.78, but otherwise all 3 are in the correct ratio on the Canadian set.
What about the 'merican set? I heard complaints about that when they came out.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nut
I've read nothing (yet) to indicate that any of the films are getting new transfers here. My guess is it will be the same Blu-ray that's already available (with perhaps new artwork and menus). Whether they take time to frame it properly is anyone's guess, but I would say it isn't likely.
If they're going to take the time to put a friggin' mono track on H1, why not make sure that H20 is 2.35:1 ?
Old 05-28-14, 06:40 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But 6-8 were previously released by Echo Bridge, I really doubt Anchor Bay/Shout will use the same discs that Echo Bridge released.
Old 05-28-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

What about the 'merican set? I heard complaints about that when they came out.
The American set is incorrect. That's why people are pointing out the Canadian set, which is correct (even if quality otherwise is sub par). Whether or not the new set will be correct, I have no idea.
Old 05-28-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The American set is incorrect. That's why people are pointing out the Canadian set, which is correct (even if quality otherwise is sub par). Whether or not the new set will be correct, I have no idea.
Exactly.
Old 05-28-14, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming Shout is taking care of them I assume it would be.
Old 05-28-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something similar happened with Dracula 2000. Echo Bridge released a Blu-ray with the 2.35 image cropped to 1.85, and there's a Canadian release from Alliance that has the original aspect ratio.

I'm still sticking with my DVD though, because not only is the picture quality pretty damn good for such an old release, it's got a shitload of extras that aren't on any of the Blu-rays.

Still, nice to see Canada cares aboot original aspect ratios.
Old 05-28-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jory
Something similar happened with Dracula 2000. Echo Bridge released a Blu-ray with the 2.35 image cropped to 1.85, and there's a Canadian release from Alliance that has the original aspect ratio.

I'm still sticking with my DVD though, because not only is the picture quality pretty damn good for such an old release, it's got a shitload of extras that aren't on any of the Blu-rays.

Still, nice to see Canada cares aboot original aspect ratios.
I have that Canadian version of Dracula 2000. Such an underrated little cheese-fest.
Old 05-29-14, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hope you're wrong about that considering I already have all the different American Blu-ray releases of Halloween 1-8, the Halloween Extended Edition on DVD, and the Canadian Triple Feature Blu-ray. If the Complete Collection box indeed recycles Echo Bridge's transfers of Parts 6, 7 & 8, then all I would really gain by buying it would be the original mono soundtrack on Halloween, a possible PQ upgrade on the Extended Edition, and the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6. And I would most likely lose the "A Cut Above the Rest" and "Terror in the Aisles" docs in trade. That's definitely not worth it for me.
Old 05-29-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by joliom
I hope you're wrong about that considering I already have all the different American Blu-ray releases of Halloween 1-8, the Halloween Extended Edition on DVD, and the Canadian Triple Feature Blu-ray. If the Complete Collection box indeed recycles Echo Bridge's transfers of Parts 6, 7 & 8, then all I would really gain by buying it would be the original mono soundtrack on Halloween, a possible PQ upgrade on the Extended Edition, and the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6. And I would most likely lose the "A Cut Above the Rest" and "Terror in the Aisles" docs in trade. That's definitely not worth it for me.
I could very well be wrong - but my point was we haven't heard ANYTHING about new transfers yet. You'd think they would mention that in the press release if it was going to happen.
Old 05-29-14, 12:52 PM

Again, if it's being done by Shout shouldn't we assume new transfers are going to happen?
Old 05-29-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I have that Canadian version of Dracula 2000. Such an underrated little cheese-fest.
The only good part of Dracula 2000 is when Vitamin C ends up topless.

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Again, if it's being done by Shout shouldn't we assume new transfers are going to happen?
Based upon their most recent Fox Blu-rays, the answer to that might be no. All we know for certain is that Halloween will sport the "35th Anniversary" transfer alongside the fact that Halloween II and III will be replicas of the already-existing Shout discs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miramax provides Shout with better materials to 6, H20, and Resurrection. I expect the transfers of 4 and 5 to be the same as the already-existing Anchor Bay discs. Again, I don't care what they do for Rob Zombie's discs unless it contains deleted scenes of Danielle Harris naked.
Old 05-29-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDuke
No. You haven't been paying much attention to Shout Factory's BDs in the past year or two, have you? Their litany of errors and mistakes on Blu-ray run very long, including a complete bungling of the Bruce Lee box set.
Old 05-29-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No. You haven't been paying much attention to Shout Factory's BDs in the past year or two, have you? Their litany of errors and mistakes on Blu-ray run very long, including a complete bungling of the Bruce Lee box set.
It depends on where they're getting their masters. Similar to Arrow, they "tweak" the material they're given to get the most out of it.

Shout fixed the mistake from the Bruce Lee box set, but Fox has been giving them shit masters as evident by the recent Ravenous release. This isn't a surprise based upon the Twilight Time releases that have been licensed from Fox. On the opposite side, Universal has given them solid materials shown by such releases like the Halloween sequels, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, and others.

The Sleepaway Camp release this week has also gotten good-to-great reviews in regards to the transfer.
Old 05-29-14, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think you're being a bit hyperbolic there. Yeah, some people were complaining about compression artifacts and whatnot but all of the titles I've gotten through them look great. Even if there are a few small errors like the ones I've read about I'm sure the transfers will be far better than what is available now.
Old 05-30-14, 04:04 AM

I wonder if there's any chance that Shout Factory will restore all of the missing bonus features on Halloween 4 & 5 as well. I hung on to the Divimax Special Edition DVD's just for that reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.