Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - April 8

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 04:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

EXCLUSIVE – The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Home Video release

February 18, 2014 at 12:20 pm by greendragon -

Read about it here at TORn before this information is available anywhere else! Thanks to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, we can now bring you all the official information about when you will be able to take home The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. These are the release dates worldwide:

UK APRIL 7

USA APRIL 8

SPAIN APRIL 8

MEXICO APRIL 8

CANADA APRIL 8

ITALY APRIL 9

GERMANY APRIL 11

FRANCE APRIL 16

NETHERLANDS APRIL 16

BELGIUM APRIL 16

AUSTRALIA APRIL 16

BRAZIL APRIL 17

As ever, there are various options to choose from in your quest to own the Precious. Here’s what the WB press release tells us will be available in the US:

”The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be available on Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $105.43, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95, on Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99 and on 2-disc DVD Special Edition for $28.98. The Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack includes two Gates of Erebor replica bookends from the Noble Collection and features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition, hi-definition and standard definition; only 25,000 will be available in the U.S. The Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition, hi-definition and standard definition; the Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in hi-definition on Blu-ray; and the DVD features the theatrical version in standard definition. All versions include a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet.* Fans can also own The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in Digital HD on April 8th via purchase from digital retailers.”

And what exactly will be on these DVDs and Blu-rays? Read on – more from the press release:

“BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and 2-Disc Standard Definition DVD Special Edition contain the following special features:
Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set: In the Company of the Hobbit and Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set: All in a Day’s Work – Experience the film’s challenges and demands, and journey alongside the director into Mirkwood, Lake-town and Dale as the movie’s most intense, pivotal scenes are created
Production Videos – Watch production come to life as Peter Jackson gives you an inside look at the making of the film
New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth, Part 2 – Travel with Peter Jackson and his team across the stunning locations of New Zealand transformed by the filmmakers into Middle-earth
“I See Fire” Music Video – Ed Sheeran’s beautiful theme song from the film is illuminated with this intimate music video

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be available for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on their favorite devices from select digital retailers including Amazon, CinemaNow, Flixster, iTunes, PlayStation, Target Ticket, Vudu, Xbox and others. Starting April 8th, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will also be available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.”

As soon as we have further information about what packages and formats will be available worldwide, we’ll bring you those details. Meanwhile, here’s a basic summary of what will be on sale in the US:

Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack $105.43

Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack $44.95

Blu-ray Combo Pack $35.99

2-disc DVD Amaray (WS) $28.98

Get ready to bring home a dragon! Don’t forget, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is still showing in quite a number of theatres, so you may be able to get your big screen Middle-earth fix whilst you wait the remaining weeks to get your hands on your own, personal copy.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014...video-release/

Last edited by Sub-Zero; 02-18-14 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - April 8

I missed this in theaters, so I will definitely pick this up and probably the extended cut as well whenever that is released.
Old 02-18-14, 05:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so these are the theatrical releases?
Old 02-18-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Love of hate these films, they continue to have top-notch home video releases. As tempting as that big-ass boxed set looks, I'm thinking I'll wait for the inevitable six-film set, and even if I wasn't going to, the extended version of this one will be out shortly anyway. That means that it'll probably be December of 2015 before the big boxed set, damn I hate waiting, but it'll be worth it.
Old 02-18-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so these are the theatrical releases?
Yes, same as the first part and same as the LOTR trilogy. Theatrical then extended.

I'm picking up the theatricals as they come and waiting for a box of the extended after part 3 comes out.
Old 02-18-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Nice collector's set considering it's not even the EE version. I'm still going to wait for the EE, though.
Old 02-18-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

This was the first LOTR/Hobbit film that I didn't see in theaters so I'm looking forward to picking up the Blu-ray. I bought the first Hobbit in a digibook at Walmart. Hopefully part two will have a similar exclusive. And like Milo Bloom, I'll buy the theatrical releases first and then pick up the extended box set when it's released.
Old 02-18-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nice collector's set considering it's not even the EE version. I'm still going to wait for the EE, though.
I've been buying the 3D theatrical versions now and will pick up the EEs when they're in a combo set later on.
Old 02-18-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Just an FYI if this release follows the first Hobbit release schedule the EE should be available in mid November
The first EE followed 7 1/2 months after the theatrical version
But hopefully the EE comes out sooner
Old 02-18-14, 08:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ yes, it'd be nice if the EE would come out sooner - I am not interested in buying the theatrical cut as I thought it had some truly bad editing.
Old 02-18-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I missed it in theaters and will buy the 3D release. But I'm afraid that my days of buying oversized boxsets with pretty statues are over.
Old 02-18-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I missed it in theaters and will buy the 3D release. But I'm afraid that my days of buying oversized boxsets with pretty statues are over.
Running out of places to put them?
Old 02-19-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Wish they'd at least put these out in 30 frames per second instead of 24. I won't watch these until they put them out in something close to the original frame rate (tried to see both in theaters but just didn't have the time!)
Old 02-19-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Missed this in theaters after watching part 1 in theaters. Have a stockpile of unwatched discs (including LOTR extended trilogy) to get through first, but once they come with a set with the extended cuts I'm in for a good price
Old 02-19-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I wished they saved this artwork for the extended edition

Old 02-19-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I will more than likely buy this and then the extended edition down the road. Much like I did with the first one.
Old 02-19-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wish they'd at least put these out in 30 frames per second instead of 24. I won't watch these until they put them out in something close to the original frame rate (tried to see both in theaters but just didn't have the time!)
Can Blu handle that, especially with a film this long? And it was only to change the look of the 3-D version anyway, I don't think there was an HFR 2-D version. I saw it in 24 FPS 2-D and it looked fine to me.
Old 02-19-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've been buying the 3D theatrical versions now and will pick up the EEs when they're in a combo set later on.
That is my buying pattern also.
Old 02-22-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Can Blu handle that, especially with a film this long? And it was only to change the look of the 3-D version anyway, I don't think there was an HFR 2-D version. I saw it in 24 FPS 2-D and it looked fine to me.
Given they choose to split these movies into two discs, the BD capacity is technically irrelevant. The issue however is that BD currently only does 30fps 3D at 720p.
Old 02-22-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it? Even spit across two discs, wouldn't the framerate still have a space issue? And even if it didn't, there'd still be the matter of which TVs could plays it back anyway. And if it'll only do 30 at 720, is it even capable of doing 48? In any even, I'm assuming the EE will be out in December to coincide with the third movie, the EE of #3 will the. Be out the following December to get one last year out of the franchise, and I wonder how long after that it'll be until the Ultimate Edition boxed set?
Old 02-23-14, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, BD is not currently capable of 48Hz. HDMI 2.0 is capable, however. So hopefully the next format will take advantage of that.
Old 02-23-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
^ yes, it'd be nice if the EE would come out sooner - I am not interested in buying the theatrical cut as I thought it had some truly bad editing.
Wouldn't be surprised if the movie initially had a longer running time, then was cut for theatrical length.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No, BD is not currently capable of 48Hz. HDMI 2.0 is capable, however. So hopefully the next format will take advantage of that.
You referring to 48fps, right? Talk about a format that was more short-sighted than a blind man.
Old 02-23-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Wouldn't be surprised if the movie initially had a longer running time, then was cut for theatrical length.
Peter Jackson, the only man on Earth who can make a three-hour film and still have material on the cutting floor. I'm sure there's more material for the EE of this, and hopefully it'll be an improvement. I'll certainly catch it, flaws and all, I eat up Jackson's Middle Earth.

You referring to 48fps, right? Talk about a format that was more short-sighted than a blind man.
24 or 48?
Old 02-23-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was wrong. HDMI 2.0 does not support 48fps video.

HDMI 2.0 significantly increases bandwidth to 18Gbps and includes the following advanced features:
Resolutions up to 4K@50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution, for the ultimate video experience
Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (Up to 4)
Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
CEC extensions provide more expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point
Old 02-23-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They could change the frame rate to 50fps and it would technically be within the boundaries of HDMI 2.

HDMI 1.4 can support 3D at 50fps at a max resolution of 720p. HDMI 2, with the increased bandwidth, should support 3D at 50fps at 1080p.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.