Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween 35th Anniversary BD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Halloween 35th Anniversary BD

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Halloween 35th Anniversary BD

Originally Posted by OldBoy
count yourself very very lucky!!
Except the digibook is inferior packaging....
Old 10-10-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Some fool on BD complaining about this new release not looking 'sunny' enough
I guess he doesn't realize that this was shot in Summer but needed to look like it was Fall.
Old 10-10-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Enough of this bullshit talk about the damn packaging. I want to know if this is a worthy upgrade from the prior BD, which I already own. Personal opinions from those who have compared, not just links to a random review.
Old 10-10-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....64#post8229864
Click the SPOILER tag

FIRST BD RELEASE

35TH RELEASE
Old 10-10-13, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
What does not knowing extremely obscure movies have to do with anything ?
It means you are in fact a casual movie fan. It's okay, you can admit it. While Criterion does release some obscure titles, many of its titles are very well known.

Also, there is no such thing as "proper" packaging. Whatever the studio or distributor wants to release is the "proper" packaging, and there's not much we can do about it.

Speaking of, I ordered this from Amazon and it arrived today. Digibook. I don't care one way or the other which case it is.
Old 10-10-13, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Oh, and just to make the packaging OCD people here even more upset, I also got the Scream Factory releases of The Fog and Prince of Darkness (I inadvertently ordered three John Carpenter films together), and as soon as I opened them I threw away the slipcovers.
Old 10-10-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Oh, and just to make the packaging OCD people here even more upset, I also got the Scream Factory releases of The Fog and Prince of Darkness (I inadvertently ordered three John Carpenter films together), and as soon as I opened them I threw away the slipcovers.

I was going to save Halloween and POD for Halloween day but already watched it today. Fuck it, I'm gonna Halloween too.
Old 10-10-13, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know I mean, who really has ever heard of Criterion Collection movies. It's not like there's a Criterion Collection Halloween.

On Blu-ray!
Old 10-10-13, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

Criterion had way more high profile studio titles on laserdisc. But really, if you haven't heard of films like 8 1/2, 12 Angry Men, Badlands, Being John Malkovich, The Blob, Blow Out, Bottle Rocket, Brazil, City Lights, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Darjeeling Limited, Days of Heaven, The Devil's Backbone, etc. etc. etc., then you are an extremely casual movie fan.
Old 10-10-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't necessarily know that I agree with that. I've heard of all of those you named but haven't seen them all. I don't think just because people haven't seen or heard of the ones you named makes them an extremely casual film fan. There's a ton of other material out there that one could have heard of that doesn't belong in the Criterion banner. I don't see how that makes a person less of a film fan.
Old 10-10-13, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Don't forget the ultimate Michael Bay art film Armageddon!!

Old 10-10-13, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Don't forget the ultimate Michael Bay art film Armageddon!!

So much art house hooey.

Yknow, I just can't accept this Criterion Collection as worth much until they release popular movies that people have actually seen.

Like Brewster McCloud.

Please?
Old 10-10-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason I normally keep the Scream Factory slipcovers is for the fact that they do reversible art a lot of times on their releases with the original poster art on one side and a new version on the other. I keep slipcovers if there's alternate art otherwise they go to the trash.
Old 10-10-13, 08:26 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't necessarily know that I agree with that. I've heard of all of those you named but haven't seen them all. I don't think just because people haven't seen or heard of the ones you named makes them an extremely casual film fan. There's a ton of other material out there that one could have heard of that doesn't belong in the Criterion banner. I don't see how that makes a person less of a film fan.
I'm not saying you have to have heard of or seen all of those films (or any one of the well known films that Criterion has released), but if you really consider every film Criterion releases to be "incredibly obscure" as Spottedfeather does, then you are a casual film fan.

And I should add there is nothing wrong with being a casual film fan, but I do find it hilarious that Spottedfeather would accuse other people of being casual film fans for not preferring a specific type of packaging. As if packaging has anything to do with the film inside.
Old 10-10-13, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also they released some little monster film called Godzilla from 1954. That's pretty obscure and whatnot.
Old 10-11-13, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Picked this up today from Walmart for $19.96. It was the digibook. They had 2 copies left.

Finally have every one of the original series Halloween on BD. Don't really need to upgrade the Rob Zombie ones I have on DVD.
Old 10-11-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Picked this up today from Walmart for $19.96. It was the digibook. They had 2 copies left.

Finally have every one of the original series Halloween on BD. Don't really need to upgrade the Rob Zombie ones I have on DVD.
it is on sale (temp price reduction) at Target (in-store only) $16.99
Old 10-11-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

I don't like the Zombie films as much but I'll get them both on Blu-ray just because of the fact that I'm a completest like that. I also still need to get Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers and Halloween: Resurrection.
Old 10-11-13, 02:54 PM
Banned

It means you are in fact a casual movie fan. It's okay, you can admit it. While Criterion does release some obscure titles, many of its titles are very well known.

Also, there is no such thing as "proper" packaging. Whatever the studio or distributor wants to release is the "proper" packaging, and there's not much we can do about it.

Speaking of, I ordered this from Amazon and it arrived today. Digibook. I don't care one way or the other which case it is.
Nothing you said is correct. I am NOT just a casual movie fan. Probably about 99% of what Criterion puts out is obscure or foreign, or obscure AND foreign. How is it not ? You say many of it's titles are well known. Which ones would those be ? Yes, there IS such a thing as proper packaging. Proper packaging would be those cases that hold the disc, well....properly. That which protects the disc from reasonable harm. The Halloween digibook fails to do. Even though Blu-rays have special anti-scratch coating, you'll still scratch it up eventually sliding it into an inferior paper sleeve. This is NOT proper packaging.

Please. Think a long time before you talk about things you don't have any idea about. But what else do we expect from someone like you ?
Old 10-11-13, 02:57 PM
Banned by request

Someone like me? Sounds pretty close to a personal attack to me.

And considering that I can recognize 99% of the films that Criterion has released without looking them up, then I would say I do know what I'm talking about. I even named some of the better known ones in this very thread. You might want to try reading before spouting off your inane bullshit.
Old 10-11-13, 03:05 PM
Banned

I'm not saying you have to have heard of or seen all of those films (or any one of the well known films that Criterion has released), but if you really consider every film Criterion releases to be "incredibly obscure" as Spottedfeather does, then you are a casual film fan.

And I should add there is nothing wrong with being a casual film fan, but I do find it hilarious that Spottedfeather would accuse other people of being casual film fans for not preferring a specific type of packaging. As if packaging has anything to do with the film inside.
I didn't say that EVERYTHING that Criterion puts out is obscure. It's just that most of it is. I have heard of every movie you mentioned. So what ? You just put a list of movies that just about everyone has heard of. Not a list of obscure films. You're quickly losing ground around here. You give a list of films and say that if you haven't heard of them, you're a casual film fans. But the list you give are films that every casual film fan has heard of. Hm...
Old 10-11-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

You two, get a room.

How about getting this thread back on track & getting some answers to my earlier question about whether the transfer makes it a worthy upgrade or not?
Old 10-11-13, 03:21 PM
Banned

Alright. Personally, I like the transfer of the first blu-ray over the new 35th version.
Old 10-11-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
How about getting this thread back on track & getting some answers to my earlier question about whether the transfer makes it a worthy upgrade or not?
The screenshots in Post #154 make it look like this upgrade is better. I'm a casual fan of the series but can't justify $20 for a catalog title.
Old 10-11-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
You two, get a room.

The transfer is pretty legit. I have the "sunny" one from 2007 and I always thought it looked great until I did my little side-by-side comparison. The 35th one is great and conveys that it takes place in the Fall even though it was filmed in the Summer.

We had a very overcast day yesterday here in L.A. and when I watched the 35th anniversary it felt like I was stepping outside into that dark and drab day. Loved it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.