Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

4K? Old News - Here's comes 8K from Sharp

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 11:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

When will the madness end??? And manufacturing begins right around the corner - in 2020.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...hd-resolution/

CES: Sharp Shows Off 8K LCD; 16x HD Resolution

From a sign in the Sharp booth, the 8K LCD specs.

Now here’s a TV you will want to own. Some day.

Every year at the Consumer Electronics Show, the TV manufacturers show off stunning new sets that you will not be able to buy for years to come, but which give a tantalizing view of the future.

One that fits nicely into that category is the amazing prototype 85-inch 8K LCD display from Sharp. The display has a resolution of 7,630 by 4,320 pixels – 16 times the resolution of current high def displays.

The images literally pop off the screen; they feel almost 3D like. It’s incredibly compelling. Far away, but tantalizing. Sharp doesn’t expect anyone to really start producing content in that kind of resolution until 2020. But be patient. Resolution this good is coming. If you live long enough.

I chatted about the technology with Sharp spokesman Jeff Leopold. Listen to the conversation – and get a glimpse of the TV – in the video below.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XtI8p2bUKoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-26-13, 11:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: 4K? Old News - Here's comes 8K from Sharp

Old 01-26-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Until we get life like holograms that I can interact with I have no interest.
Old 01-26-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

No 8K pr0n = No sale!
Old 01-26-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But is it progressive scan?
Old 01-26-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
No 8K pr0n = No sale!
There are some things I don't need to see in that level of detail.
Old 01-26-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was growing a little tired of my crappy old 4K display. So when will BTTF be released in 8K. I can't wait and am going to post that question every day until it's released.
Old 01-26-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The images literally pop off the screen
No, they don't. Please retire the word 'literally' from your vocabulary until you know what it means.
Old 01-26-13, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Are you taking to the article? I literally know what you mean...
Old 01-26-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Are you taking to the article?
Yes. I should've clarified.
Old 01-28-13, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm done buying blurays. I'm already starting to look at them like I look at my poor neglected DVD's. Already obsolete. Redbox and Netflix can tide me over til everything's in 4K and whatever the hell discs those are... and if we're moving to 8K in 2020, I'm not convinced people will even be using discs. I'm just wasting money buying any more discs.
Old 01-28-13, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I think I'm done buying blurays. I'm already starting to look at them like I look at my poor neglected DVD's. Already obsolete. Redbox and Netflix can tide me over til everything's in 4K and whatever the hell discs those are... and if we're moving to 8K in 2020, I'm not convinced people will even be using discs. I'm just wasting money buying any more discs.
This a joke, right?
Old 01-28-13, 07:48 AM
Banned by request

I hope so because that means more blu rays for us!!! I call dibs on all future blu's Lamphorn would have bought.
Old 01-28-13, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Old 01-28-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This a joke, right?
You folks are laughing, but I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm not ready to completely give up physical media, but I've certainly become more picky about what I want to spend my money on. We have streaming subscriptions for both Netflix and HuluPlus, and we can always add in the Netflix disc service if we need to. I've got hundreds of unwatched DVDs, why not ease up on buying?

I admit that in the past, I was one to say "there's always going to be a better format around the corner, so it's no use complaining about it", but I've grown to add to that "there's no sense rebuying your entire catalog every time something new comes along, only buy what really needs upgrading and what you really love".
Old 01-28-13, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
You folks are laughing, but I'm starting to feel the same way. I'm not ready to completely give up physical media, but I've certainly become more picky about what I want to spend my money on. We have streaming subscriptions for both Netflix and HuluPlus, and we can always add in the Netflix disc service if we need to. I've got hundreds of unwatched DVDs, why not ease up on buying?

I admit that in the past, I was one to say "there's always going to be a better format around the corner, so it's no use complaining about it", but I've grown to add to that "there's no sense rebuying your entire catalog every time something new comes along, only buy what really needs upgrading and what you really love".
Giving up physical media is one thing, waiting for 4k or 8k (which will yield a much smaller library) is just insane.
Old 01-28-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Giving up physical media is one thing, waiting for 4k or 8k (which will yield a much smaller library) is just insane.
It's not so much waiting for 4K as it is realizing that amassing a collection is pointless when you know you'll stop turning to that collection the minute the new tech is mainstream. I have a shelf with several hundred DVD's. I had a lot of fun buying them, but honestly barely watched them and now that Bluray is the norm and I have an HDTV, I wouldn't touch a DVD with a ten foot pole. I can see that 4K will be mainstream in a couple years and we'll be streaming 4K movies on our 4K TV's and this lovely Bluray collection of my favorite stuff will end up unused at that point for the same reason. I mean, how many times in one lifetime should one have to re-buy the Kubrick canon? You could say "well, be happy with your old DVD's" but when the TV's improved, the DVD's started looking awful. When the format and quality go through a revolution every 4-6 years, consumers are seriously going to rebel against investing in physical media.

Not saying I'll never buy a bluray again. I still want to get Citizen Kane and am waiting for Punch Drunk Love, but I think my purchases from now on will be very few and far-between. I learned my lesson from my roomful of DVD's.
Old 01-28-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not so much waiting for 4K as it is realizing that amassing a collection is pointless when you know you'll stop turning to that collection the minute the new tech is mainstream. I have a shelf with several hundred DVD's. I had a lot of fun buying them, but honestly barely watched them and now that Bluray is the norm and I have an HDTV, I wouldn't touch a DVD with a ten foot pole. I can see that 4K will be mainstream in a couple years and we'll be streaming 4K movies on our 4K TV's and this lovely Bluray collection of my favorite stuff will end up unused at that point for the same reason. I mean, how many times in one lifetime should one have to re-buy the Kubrick canon? You could say "well, be happy with your old DVD's" but when the TV's improved, the DVD's started looking awful. When the format and quality go through a revolution every 4-6 years, consumers are seriously going to rebel against investing in physical media.

Not saying I'll never buy a bluray again. I still want to get Citizen Kane and am waiting for Punch Drunk Love, but I think my purchases from now on will be very few and far-between. I learned my lesson from my roomful of DVD's.
I agree. Once we went to BR, I looked on my shelf at hundreds of unopened DVD's and realized i didn't want to replicate that. A few times a year I'll pick up BR's. Birthday, Christmas, U&S sales, RZ coupons are a few. There will always be movies I want to own so I can watch them on a whim, or take with me on a business trip, but I'm fine with a rental model for 90% of releases
Old 01-28-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oops site went down and i reposted
Old 01-28-13, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Now you guys have me questioning my entire existence.
Old 01-28-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Now you guys have me questioning my entire existence.
Lol, to me the feeling is the opposite. It's liberating! I don't have to obsess that I don't have every Spielberg movie on disc, like I did on DVD and was starting to get that way about Bluray. How silly! In a couple years, I'll be watching Minority Report on 4K and several years after that, in 8K. The point is I don't have to OWN everything. Ownership is a burden and takes up a lot of shelf space. It's not like I watch things over and over, anyway and I'm always struggling to catch up with just the television I want to watch, never mind the movies. The drive to collect and collect in order to feel like a true "film afficionado" (or in my case, aspiring filmmaker) was an expensive distraction from life that I'm kinda becoming more zen about the whole thing and happily getting rid of stuff that's just stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I still watch tons of movies and shows, but 90% now is streaming. The 10% is for stuff that I feel really warrants the extra quality boost of bluray.
Old 01-28-13, 09:22 PM

It's not so much waiting for 4K as it is realizing that amassing a collection is pointless when you know you'll stop turning to that collection the minute the new tech is mainstream. I have a shelf with several hundred DVD's. I had a lot of fun buying them, but honestly barely watched them and now that Bluray is the norm and I have an HDTV, I wouldn't touch a DVD with a ten foot pole. I can see that 4K will be mainstream in a couple years and we'll be streaming 4K movies on our 4K TV's and this lovely Bluray collection of my favorite stuff will end up unused at that point for the same reason.
I guess people like myself are just too forgiving, as I think most DVDs look just fine on my 52" and 60" screens (and yes, I do have Blu-ray, too). I guess if DVD resolution is so disappointing to you, then you probably have sworn off of all shows that were produced on NTSC or PAL broadcast videotape, as those can never approach DVD resolution, let alone Blu-ray or 2/4k.

I'm glad I'm still able to enjoy that stuff.
Old 01-29-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
I guess people like myself are just too forgiving, as I think most DVDs look just fine on my 52" and 60" screens (and yes, I do have Blu-ray, too). I guess if DVD resolution is so disappointing to you, then you probably have sworn off of all shows that were produced on NTSC or PAL broadcast videotape, as those can never approach DVD resolution, let alone Blu-ray or 2/4k.

I'm glad I'm still able to enjoy that stuff.
I don't know what you mean. Most shows that I'm aware of that are pre-digital were shot on film and look fantastic on bluray. If you mean stuff like I Love Lucy or random variety shows of the 50's, well, I've moved on from that stuff.
Old 01-29-13, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I Love Lucy was shot on film at the insistence of Desi Arnaz. It should look great on BD, 4K, or even overkill like 8K.
Old 01-29-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not all that big on picture quality. I think sometimes we get a little too caught up on how good something looks and not engaged enough in how good the content is. DVD is perfectly adequate and if something is a good enough product, good enough story etc, I'm not ever going to say "Wow, it's a shame it's not 1080, I just can't even watch it", that's silly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.