Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

4K? Old News - Here's comes 8K from Sharp

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

4K? Old News - Here's comes 8K from Sharp

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 611 Posts
Re: 4K? Old News - Here's comes 8K from Sharp

Yeah, if the film/show is engrossing, I can easly watch it in standard def. But if I have the option available to watch it in HD, I'll opt for the HD release every time.
Old 01-29-13, 08:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What's Sharp going to do when somebody comes out with 9K?
Old 01-29-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I will easily say the Sharp 8k screen absolutely blew my mind at CES. 4k looked stellar, but man was 8k entrancing to watch.
Old 01-29-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 343 Likes on 207 Posts

Edit: Wrong thread.

But yes maybe I will skip 4k and go straight to 8! So long as 4k disc will down convert to current bd players.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 01-29-13 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Imagine what a game will look like on 4K sets. That's what i wanna see.
Old 01-29-13, 05:14 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
I'm not all that big on picture quality. I think sometimes we get a little too caught up on how good something looks and not engaged enough in how good the content is. DVD is perfectly adequate and if something is a good enough product, good enough story etc, I'm not ever going to say "Wow, it's a shame it's not 1080, I just can't even watch it", that's silly.
I have an 84" DLP projector in a dedicated HT room. Last weekend I watched Universal's 1998 DVD of the 1973 The Day of the Jackel. It's non-anamorphic and I had to zoom it!!! It actually looked okay. I enjoyed the film and was glad I finnally saw it despite the quality. Of course I prefer blu-ray, but I'm forgiving. I'm not going to put on aires and look at my DVD collection with disgust. Most of them look great, even on my great big screen.
Old 01-30-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I can see using this high resolution for a computer monitor (if supported) Aside from that either television would need to be broadcast in 4K or 8K and even then this is likely a decade away from being practical. Would it stop me from buying blu-ray movies? NO! I already wait until I can get them cheap five dollars or so, used prices dropped quickly. First the television needs to be priced well, then a new player because downloading a 4K movie is a a LONG way out when 1080P is current troublesome.

Some people are just now getting into blu-ray, if films are released in 4K down the line of course some will grab them, however I can see how many will be done, VHS, lasterdisc, DVDs, blu-ray... just done. I was still buying DVDs when cheap (dollar dollars or less)

I could see games using the 4K right from the start of a newer system. Be awhile before I can or will touch it.
Old 01-31-13, 11:07 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

I always chuckle about these upgrades in resolution. Everyone I know has their television calibrated wrong and watches tv with that "smooth motion" shit turned on. Yet they were excitted to upgrade from 720 to 1080. They're enthusiastic about paying extra to get HD cable tv content in their homes. They probably can't wait to plunk five grand down on 4K or 8K too, but they'll never calibrate their tv right.

I estimate 90% of consumers will brag about "going 4K" and yet they'll have the TV set to "vivid".
Old 01-31-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 611 Posts

I actually like motion interpolation unless it creates a lot of screen tearing and other artifacts, as some sets do when it's set too high.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I estimate 90% of consumers will brag about "going 4K" and yet they'll have the TV set to "vivid".
This actually irks me quite a bit. Along with people who stretch 4:3 content and/or have their new HDTV connected via S-video or composite and still assume they're seeing HD content simply because they're using an HDTV.
Old 01-31-13, 11:35 AM

Smooth motion can suck my ass. I don't want everything to look like a soap opera or The Hobbit.
Old 01-31-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Smooth motion can suck my ass. I don't want everything to look like a soap opera or The Hobbit.
I have only seen it at a store, weird! No thank you.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I actually like motion interpolation unless it creates a lot of screen tearing and other artifacts, as some sets do when it's set too high.

This actually irks me quite a bit. Along with people who stretch 4:3 content and/or have their new HDTV connected via S-video or composite and still assume they're seeing HD content simply because they're using an HDTV.
I wonder how long something has to be out before people know how to set it right, wonderful television that is set to hack the content to death.
Old 01-31-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I still think the success of HDTV had much less to do with the fact it was HD and more to do with the sleek, thin design of the TVs and the fact that it could be mounted on a wall like picture frame. The cheap prices didn't hurt, either.

The HDTVs themselves have been much more successful than the HD content.
Old 01-31-13, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Very very true. There's been several people that I've helped that have expensive HDTV's with Blu-Ray and everything's coming through at 480i. I sit down and get everything going, fire it up at 1080p...the inevitable response? "I don't see the difference".
Old 01-31-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I still think the success of HDTV had much less to do with the fact it was HD and more to do with the sleek, thin design of the TVs and the fact that it could be mounted on a wall like picture frame. The cheap prices didn't hurt, either.

I agree with your notion that most people wanted their TV screens to be thin more so than high def. As a kid I used to daydream about TVs being large, flat and hung on the wall like a picture.
Old 02-11-13, 05:04 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I see stuff like this I have to start being more picky as to what Blu-rays to pick up. Like others here, I've got tons of DVDs that I don't watch anymore (I've become an HD snob) due to the high quality of Blu-ray.