Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

04 Dec 2012 - Godzilla vs. Biollante on DVD and Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

This has been mentioned in two other threads, but I think it should get more exposure (unless we want to make a comprehensive Godzilla thread?)

Echo Bridge is actually making this a good release instead of a shovelware disc.

- Widescreen 16X9 1:85 (1080p)
- 5.1 DTS Original Japanese Language
- 2.0 DTS Japanese Language
- 1.0 Dolby Digital English Language
- Making of Godzilla vs. Biollante (Standard Definition - English Subtitled)
- Behind the Design
- English translation of on screen text
- English subtitles translated from original Japanese dialogue
- English SDH subtitled to match the English audio track
A commentary was recorded but was not approved by Toho in time for replication. Echo Bridge has said it will re-release with the commentary if they gain approval.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2012...ho_bridge.html

And dig these prices:
The DVD will retail for $6.99, while the Blu-Ray edition will retail for $14.99.
Better watch your back, Criterion!
Old 10-25-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 04 Dec 2012 - Godzilla vs. Biollante on DVD and Blu-Ray

I'm all for a comprehensive Godzilla thread. It would make sense considering he's got plenty of films yet to be released on BD.

Already got my pre-order in on this one, btw. $7.99 for this is a steal!
Old 10-25-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This should become the comprehensive 'Zilla thread for sure. There are already about 5 threads talking about this release, so let's just make this THE thread.

Anyways, I've got the blu pre-ordered as I will with any and all future Godzilla releases... taking no chances haha.
Old 10-27-12, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic release for the extras, and at that price point, I'd have no qualms about double-dipping if/when they release an updated version with the commentary.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Anyways, I've got the blu pre-ordered as I will with any and all future Godzilla releases... taking no chances haha.
Same here. I guess it does add a bit of thrill to the chase, but it's also getting somewhat annoying that seemingly each and every Godzilla release has some kind of problem related to clearance issues.
Old 10-27-12, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah. Got this for $7.99 too.

What is up w/ Toho exactly when it comes to features on a US media release?
Old 10-27-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
yeah. Got this for $7.99 too.

What is up w/ Toho exactly when it comes to features on a US media release?
I agree. They need to lighten up. I'm surprised anyone is still willing to deal with them.
Old 10-27-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I'm amazed they're allowing the US to remake the film again.

I wish they'd loosen their grip on pretty much everything. Why wouldn't they want BDs of all their films out here, selling copies, and making money? Makes no sense to me. I'd love to know who's in charge over there and what their deal is.
Old 10-27-12, 10:22 AM
Banned

Has Toho released any G BDs over there? How are they? Features etc?

They should be lucky that we still want the big G. Considering how they fucked it up as much as we did over here.
Old 10-27-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Hell, I'm amazed they're allowing the US to remake the film again.

I wish they'd loosen their grip on pretty much everything. Why wouldn't they want BDs of all their films out here, selling copies, and making money? Makes no sense to me. I'd love to know who's in charge over there and what their deal is.
Maybe they are worried about negative comments or inappropriate language from those participating in the extras?

In all seriousness, how long would it take Toho to approve a commentary? And if Echo Bridge thought it would get approved, why wouldn't they just delay the release? The price is nice so I'm willing to double dip if necessary, but it would be nice to not have to.
Old 10-27-12, 11:57 AM
Banned

it better be a damn fine commentary for me to not want to buy this at $7.99. Otherwise...that commentary can go fuck itself.
Old 10-27-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should be lucky that we still want the big G. Considering how they fucked it up as much as we did over here.
From what I've heard, they're ALL out on BD in Japan, with extras, but NO English subs. And they're VERY expensive (at least $50/ea).
Old 10-27-12, 02:17 PM
Banned

I was asking to get them from over there..but just wondering. WTF is their issue w/ us releasing our own shit over here for their films?

I just don't get the logic.
Old 10-27-12, 08:15 PM

I have four of them to fill in the cracks, especially Godzilla 1985. I like them though it would be nice if they'd include English subtitles. Seems like a no brainer. Sometimes I'll play the English DVD along with the blu-ray for dubbed audio.
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
From what I've heard, they're ALL out on BD in Japan, with extras, but NO English subs. And they're VERY expensive (at least $50/ea).
I don't think they're all out but maybe I've missed them. I've only seen 12 titles offered on HMV and I keep checking.
Old 10-28-12, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizza
I have four of them to fill in the cracks, especially Godzilla 1985. I like them though it would be nice if they'd include English subtitles. Seems like a no brainer. Sometimes I'll play the English DVD along with the blu-ray for dubbed audio.

I don't think they're all out but maybe I've missed them. I've only seen 12 titles offered on HMV and I keep checking.
Toho stopped after releasing about half of the series due to low sales.
Old 10-28-12, 11:06 AM
Banned

So let me get this straight. They can't sell their own shit...in their own country...of it's origin? Right, ok. BUT...when we get a film of theirs that will actually sell rather decently here...they get all pissy about all the shit we want to put on there? I still don't understand Toho logic.
Old 10-28-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While it's a completely different industry, I have worked for a Japanese owned company for 15 years now and have some understanding of their corporate culture. The delay in approving extras may not just be in how something may be portrayed in a negative light, but more likely just the simple process of approval will go through multiple steps of analysis. Email queries from Japan regarding an incident, good or bad, will be list after list of questions asking how it happened, why it happened, how it was allowed to happen, how it won't be allowed to happen again in the future....and if one of the responses isn't quite clear, then expect a whole new list of questions on that one specific issue. These things can take months to clear up. Add to the usual issues we see with clearing movie related rights and issues, and that's why it can take so long.

As for the lack of releases, maybe they simply don't see the films as something to be merchandised so much. Maybe they don't get how Godzilla fans are so spread out so much across North America and how we depend on sharing our experiences via DVDs and forums like this.
Old 10-28-12, 12:54 PM
Banned

I'd honestly like to know the process Criterion had to go through cuz..well..Criterion somehow has the magic to get stuff done without it looking like it was a hassle.
Old 10-28-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember also Criterion has been doing it for years before DVD, starting during the laserdisc days. When you do something like that long enough, you create relationships with people and that goes a long way towards getting things done (contrary to the beliefs of the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" people).
Old 10-28-12, 06:46 PM
Banned

which is why I'd like to see their process. They're so calm, relaxed, and at times excited...but ever so classy when it comes to how they do things.
Old 10-28-12, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
Toho stopped after releasing about half of the series due to low sales.
That sucks. I was watching them release 3 or 4 titles every quarter year, grabbing two (Biollante being one of them) because they haven't been released here and two others for other reasons. Then they stopped after a dozen. I keep looking thinking they're going to start up again. I was hoping to see Godzilla vs. King Kong get released since I had the laserdisc from Japan that contained a longer cut and would have loved that on blu-ray too. Tsk, tsk, Toho.
Old 10-29-12, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd honestly like to know the process Criterion had to go through cuz..well..Criterion somehow has the magic to get stuff done without it looking like it was a hassle.
The Criterion Godzilla release wasn't without its Toho clearance issues:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/11/12/...dzilla-part-2/

http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/11/19/...dzilla-part-3/
Old 10-29-12, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also thought it was strange that with as much quality control as they are supposed to have that the print of Godzilla vs. Megalon that got released over here has that double-cropped shot in it and multiple scenes with hairs in the frames, etc. while the print that was put on DVD a few years back in Australia on Eagle Eye entertainment has the correct framing and does not have the hairs, etc. in the same shots, so is clearly a different (and possibly better) condition print.

I thought they were supposed to have made a consistent set of official prints a while back to be used for all approved TV and home video releases.
Old 10-29-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update from the EB rep at Tohokingdom

This release will have 5.1 DTS-HD-MA Japanese language track, the same audio track that is on Toho's Japanese BD release. The English language track will be Dolby Digital Stereo created from the original 1989 Mono track. From everything I was told, the original english dub was never mastered in stereo and the dialogue split tracks are long gone.
Old 11-10-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Here's the first review for the Echo Bridge Blu-ray.

http://www.doblu.com/2012/11/09/godz...llante-review/
Old 11-10-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks PhantomStranger, that slipped by me. Sad to hear the compression isn't so great. I was planning on buying the DVD at first until they get the clearance for the commentary, maybe they can tweak the compression when they re-do the master for the commentary.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.