Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oppo BDP-93 Owners Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't see many posts at all by Oppo BDP-93 owners. And no, I don't wanna post on those other "A/V Forums". Are there any BDP-93 owners who post on DVD Talk? Comments about your BDP-93? Concerns?

I've been using the BDP-93 for about 10 months now, and the major issues I have are streaming Netflix software, which is getting more annoying by the day. This isn't Oppo's issue per se as Netflix more than likely gives them the plugin, but the delay is getting ridiculous. Seems like with every firmware update, the Netflix plugin gets worse.

Another major chip on my shoulder is the removal of ISO playback earlier this year.
Old 09-29-12, 04:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Oppo BDP-93 Owners Thread

I have one. I love it.

I use Xbox for Netflix, and don't mess with ISOs.

I love the fact I can move subtitles for my CIH screen!
Old 09-29-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Are there any BDP-93 owners who post on DVD Talk?
Yes, but they do so in the DVD & Home Theater Gear area.

I have the BDP-83 myself. What was the reason given for removing support for ISO playback?

If you haven't already, you owe it to yourself to install a mod kit to make your BDP-93 multiregion/zone.
Old 09-29-12, 05:45 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I'm waiting for the BDP-103 to replace my nearly 6 year old PS3 as my primary blu-ray player.
Old 09-29-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
If you haven't already, you owe it to yourself to install a mod kit to make your BDP-93 multiregion/zone.
That's what I had done with mine. Have been quite happy with it.
Old 09-29-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

What was the reason given for removing support for ISO playback?
The studios are forcing the chip manufacturers to remove ISO support functionality. In this case it was the Qdeo chip from Marvel.

Studios pressure chip manufacturers, manufactures force their customers to disable functionality, Oppo has to comply to keep their contract with Marvel, new firmware is released.
Old 09-30-12, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I have it with the region-free plug-in and love it. Got it mainly because it was the easiest to hook up in 3D without having to buy a new receiver- my receiver won't pass the 3D signal, but with the player's dual HDMI outputs I have one connected to the receiver and the other straight to the TV. Just a couple nit-picky complaints, mainly how it stretched 4x3 material to 16x9 whenever you bring up the controls to change audio or subtitles. It also squeezes Philips VideoCDs that were made for the CDI systems, but I guess I should be grateful that it supports VideoCDs at all as many Blu-Ray players don't.

Don't really care about the streaming stuff on it- my TV's Netflix interface has Dolby 5.1 so I use that, I use the Oppo player for Vudu instead of the TV though since it passes 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus on titles that have that.
Old 10-02-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have had the 93 for about two years. Love it! I only stream Pandora. I don't bother using the other streaming services, as I prefer physical media over that. If it offered amazon on demand I might use that as I have a prime membership. I will get the 103 cause OPPO is amazing at what they do.
Old 10-02-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My BDP-83 is still going strong. Absolutely worth the price I paid at the time ($500). Plus I have a mod cable in it for region free goodness. Probably one of the highest quality players out there that can be made region free.
Old 10-02-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'm waiting for the BDP-103 to replace my nearly 6 year old PS3 as my primary blu-ray player.
Just got an e-mail to pre-order the early release version. Worth it or should I wait?
Old 10-02-12, 04:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Jesus Christ people, I have to ask - what is the appeal of this one over other region frees? I have a Curtis Mathes and Insignia that both do the job quite well. What am I missing out on with the Oppos? Curious minds wish to know....especially when you all are paying in the $500 range.
Old 10-02-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

My educated guess is "not much." But, I do indeed agree that we Insignia region-free owners are indeed missing out on better upconversion DVD quality, and perhaps 0.5% better picture quality on BDs. Oh, and lots and lots of "bells and whistles." Things that 99% of Blu-Ray-owning people don't need, or like myself, even want.

Build quality is certainly better with Oppos, but 1080p hardware is becoming commodity at this point, with good-quality brand-name player in the under $100-range.

Not bashing Oppo, a company which I respect for offering high-end products, and doing well by them. Although that removal of .ISO playback *is* a deal-breaker for me, as that is one *very* useful feature which has been removed.
Old 10-02-12, 08:19 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Just got an e-mail to pre-order the early release version. Worth it or should I wait?
I got the email today also, and placed my order.
Old 10-03-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The build quality of these is that of REAL electronics- I know mine is going to last a lot longer than an Insignia. Oppo is supposed to have really good support too, so if something should ever go wrong with the machine while they're still in business, they'll work out some way to get it fixed. I'd rather pay $500 for a player that's going to last for decades than end up buying 5 $100 players just because each one dies prematurely.

It appears all Blu-Ray players in the future are omitting analog video outputs as a silly anti-piracy measure. Standard TV-decoded closed-captions, which are on hundreds of regular DVDs, can only be decoded with a 480i analog signal, so players are going to have to include a built-in decoder if they're going to get rid of the analog outputs.
Old 10-03-12, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I got the email today also, and placed my order.
Other than getting it early, is there any benefit to pulling the trigger now? Will it be more expensive later?
Old 10-03-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle
My educated guess is "not much."
One man's "not much" is another man's "a lot."

Although your point that the average person doesn't care much about picture quality or other "bells and whistles" is valid (they also aren't likely to care about region-free capability), this is a forum for enthusiasts, and the Oppo is a player for enthusiasts.

Lets tick off a few of the virtues of Oppo Blu-ray players:
  • Nearly unparalleled build quality that will last for years. They're built like tanks.
  • Excellent support, with firmware updates even for discontinued players to adapt to changing copy-protection schemes.
  • Plays virtually every type of disc (except HD-DVD), including SACD and DVD-Audio.
  • Plays virtually all video file types, either burned to disc or from flash drives.
  • If you have a problem or a question about your player you'll get a prompt response and help from an actual engineer who knows what he's talking about.
  • The best video processors in the industry for unsurpassed picture quality and fantastic DVD upscaling.
Old 10-03-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Other than getting it early, is there any benefit to pulling the trigger now? Will it be more expensive later?
So... Anyone? I wanna know if I should pull the trigger now or wai for the general release.
Old 10-03-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

One man's "not much" is another man's "a lot."

Although your point that the average person doesn't care much about picture quality or other "bells and whistles" is valid (they also aren't likely to care about region-free capability), this is a forum for enthusiasts, and the Oppo is a player for enthusiasts.

Lets tick off a few of the virtues of Oppo Blu-ray players:
  • Nearly unparalleled build quality that will last for years. They're built like tanks.
  • Excellent support, with firmware updates even for discontinued players to adapt to changing copy-protection schemes.
  • Plays virtually every type of disc (except HD-DVD), including SACD and DVD-Audio.
  • Plays virtually all video file types, either burned to disc or from flash drives.
  • If you have a problem or a question about your player you'll get a prompt response and help from an actual engineer who knows what he's talking about.
  • The best video processors in the industry for unsurpassed picture quality and fantastic DVD upscaling.
Nice synopsis. I've been using Oppo players since well before Blu-ray.

After spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on titles for my library, it just makes sense to buy one of the best players out there to watch them for a fraction of what those discs cost me.
Old 10-03-12, 10:58 PM
Political Exile

So... Anyone? I wanna know if I should pull the trigger now or wait for the general release.
If my PS3 wasn't skipping on rental discs, I probably would have held off a month to avoid any early glitches, but I have an immediate need. My 103 shipped today, so I should have it by the weekend to play around with it.
Old 10-04-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If my PS3 wasn't skipping on rental discs, I probably would have held off a month to avoid any early glitches, but I have an immediate need. My 103 shipped today, so I should have it by the weekend to play around with it.
Funny enough, it's because of my PS3 that I wanna make the switch. It's not giving me issues but I wanna retire it as a BD player.
Old 10-04-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So... Anyone? I wanna know if I should pull the trigger now or wai for the general release.
The price of Oppo players do not change (unless you can get a refurb). The only reason to buy now is to get it earlier.
Old 10-04-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. Given shipping to PR is only $58, I may just bite early.
Old 10-04-12, 01:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

PR?
If you're not in the US, Oppo will cancel your early order. I know because I tried.

I'm absolutely going to buy the 103 when it gets its general release, and I've never owned an Oppo. My main reason is for proper 24p playback. My HTPC jitters when running 24p. Not always... but it goes off and on every few minutes and is incredibly distracting. That, and people have raved about the DVD to 1080p/24fps upconversion.

Last edited by Dan; 10-04-12 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-04-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'm in Puerto Rico. All I know is that in the order form it stated shipping to me would be $58. if they cancel the early order, no big deal. I can wait for the general release.
Old 10-09-12, 10:49 PM
Political Exile

My 103 arrived today. I plugged it using my HD-DVD connections to get it running quickly, and ran an ethernet connection to it to get it on the network. Powered it on and works like a charm. I just checked Netflix streaming, Pandora, then watched the first 15 minutes of Avatar. I have a ton of DVD Audio and SACD that I look forward to playing on this unit too.

I'll update the firmware later when I have more time, but I don't see any need for now. The only unusual thing I noticed was the manufacture date is July, but I was on a waiting list for a couple weeks to get an early release unit?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.