Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Oppo BDP-93 Owners Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Oppo BDP-93 Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Oppo BDP-93 Owners Thread

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
IIRC from the early days of Blu-ray, wasn't the analog "hole" supposed to be plugged by 2010? I know that didn't happen and probably never will, but if they had indeed limited the ability on some titles to be viewed in 1080p via analog connections, folks with older displays would have been screwed anyway.

I'm also curious to know how many common brand players (Panny, Sony, etc) still have component outs? I doubt Oppo is the only one dropping them this late into Blu-ray's life.
By dropping the analogue outs, they are effectively plugging the hole now. As long as you have a working legacy player that supports analogue out, you will still be able to view HD content at a maximum resolution of 1080i.

Other players do support analogue out at 1080i, but they are not Oppo. Going forward, all new players must limit analogue output to 480i, if they choose to retain that feature. By going Oppo's route, they simplify the circuit design and realize a per unit savings on parts and assembly.
Old 10-12-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Cripple the player (eliminate Analog-out and put Cinavia in), simplify circuit design (costs less to produce the player = more profit for Oppo), and keep the price the same, right?

Sounds like a Win / Win for Oppo and the AACS / MPAA and yet another losing scenario for the end consumer.
Old 10-13-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Read Buck's post again in context with the post he was responding to. He means people with high-end projectors aren't in a hury to upgrade their projectors, therefor a Blu-ray player with component connections is desirable. Not that they don't want to upgrade from DVD to BD.
And my point being that those people either already have Blu-ray players with component outputs or they're not interested in Blu-ray at all.
Old 10-13-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

It's pretty much a double-edged sword. If you want the latest and greatest player, you're eventually going to be forced into upgrading your display if you use component. Otherwise you gotta stick with what you already have.
Old 10-23-12, 04:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

For those who are interested, the BDP-103 is now officially available to the general public.
Got my order in. Now I just have to wait patiently for one of those region-free kits.
Old 11-02-12, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on purchasing a refurbished and region-free modded BDP-93 from a reputable modded-player retailer? I'm not generally a fan of refurbished products, but the store represents that the unit was refurbished by OPPO, and I'm familiar with OPPO's good reputation for build quality (although that's tarnished a bit by the fact that this unit needed refurbishing in the first place.)

Thanks
Old 11-02-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mbrunet
Any thoughts on purchasing a refurbished and region-free modded BDP-93 from a reputable modded-player retailer? I'm not generally a fan of refurbished products, but the store represents that the unit was refurbished by OPPO, and I'm familiar with OPPO's good reputation for build quality (although that's tarnished a bit by the fact that this unit needed refurbishing in the first place.)
There's little reason to pay to have a BDP-93 modified for you. The BDP-93 region code mod is the easiest thing in the world to install yourself:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/oppo-region-mod/
Old 11-02-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow that's a cool mod. I had to open my 83 and install a different cable.
Old 11-02-12, 03:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Still waiting for my 103 to arrive. Looks like it'll be Monday or Tuesday next week. Ugh.
Old 11-02-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still sittin' on an NiB 93....just sayin'.
Old 11-03-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
There's little reason to pay to have a BDP-93 modified for you. The BDP-93 region code mod is the easiest thing in the world to install yourself:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/oppo-region-mod/
Hopefully the 103 mod will be that simple.
Old 11-03-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The mod for the BDP-93 will not work on the BDP-103. The 103 will need its own mod.

(Likewise, the mod for the BDP-83 doesn't work on either other model.)
Old 11-16-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I've been noticing more and more foreign movies that were properly subtitled on Netflix, is a thing of the past. I just tried to watch 4 foreign movies via my BDP-93, and 3 of them failed to have proper subtitles, or in one case, you have English-speaking sections which ARE subtitled but then when they switch back to another language...it's not subtitled. What the hell. Netflix is just a waste on this machine. Come to think of it, Netflix is just a waste, period. I'm going to be canceling my account for good at the end of this month. Netflix might be doing things properly if I stream from my PC (but it's a pain in the butt to do) but their Oppo app is just pathetic.

Otherwise, the BDP-93 is still working well for me.
Old 11-17-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Netflix is just a waste on this machine. Come to think of it, Netflix is just a waste, period. I'm going to be canceling my account for good at the end of this month.
A lot of folks in the 93 thread on AVS, (up to 23,000+ posts, btw), have been doing the same thing!
Old 11-17-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The mod for the BDP-93 will not work on the BDP-103. The 103 will need its own mod.

(Likewise, the mod for the BDP-83 doesn't work on either other model.)
I figured as much. What I meant was that I hope whatever mod is devised for the 103 is as simple as the one for the 93.
Old 02-17-13, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Just bought a 103 to replace my LG BD690. Also purchased the Mod kit.

Very excited to own an Oppo after so many people literally cream themselves talking about it. Really hope it's as good as everyone says.
Old 02-17-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just bought a 103 to replace my LG BD690. Also purchased the Mod kit.

Very excited to own an Oppo after so many people literally cream themselves talking about it. Really hope it's as good as everyone says.
It's a good machine, but the online hype over Oppo is a little overblown. Oppo owners are much like Apple fanatics, mostly because Oppo is the one hardware manufacturer that seems responsive to consumer concerns on the Internet. But their smallish size as a manufacturer does have consequences for their products.
Old 02-17-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Very excited to own an Oppo after so many people literally cream themselves talking about it.
All of the creaming I do over my Oppo is figurative, thank you very much.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a good machine, but the online hype over Oppo is a little overblown. Oppo owners are much like Apple fanatics, mostly because Oppo is the one hardware manufacturer that seems responsive to consumer concerns on the Internet. But their smallish size as a manufacturer does have consequences for their products.
Have you ever owned an Oppo Blu-ray player?
Old 02-17-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Have you ever owned an Oppo Blu-ray player?
Yes. Solid players that offer a lot of functional value, but I have more demanding audiophile tastes than what Oppo can provide. The little quirks and occasional discs Oppo would have problems with were too inconvenient for me.
Old 02-17-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had an Oppo 93 for a little over year and have been very happy with it. As I needed another player for the bedroom, I was considering a 103, but decided instead to get a 95 and move the 93 to the bedroom. There are still new 95 players available at the original price, and the combination of no Cinavia + iso support tipped the scale in favor of the 95. Plus I use both stereo and 5.1/7.1 analog outs and the 93/103 only has the 5.1/7.1 outs.
Old 02-17-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes. Solid players that offer a lot of functional value, but I have more demanding audiophile tastes than what Oppo can provide. The little quirks and occasional discs Oppo would have problems with were too inconvenient for me.
More demanding than what the Oppo 95 or 105 can provide? What BD player would that be that costs less than 3x the price?
Old 02-18-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bruceames
More demanding than what the Oppo 95 or 105 can provide? What BD player would that be that costs less than 3x the price?
The 105 is a very nice machine, but I would need to get it modded (the audio kind, not a region-free mod)for my tastes.
Old 02-18-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 105 is a very nice machine, but I would need to get it modded (the audio kind, not a region-free mod)for my tastes.
Could you be more specific?
Old 02-19-13, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of funny how we've gotten used to inexpensive blu-ray players.

My first DVD player (Pioneer combo laser/DVD) cost $1000. I don't remember exactly what my first blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S300) cost, but I'm pretty sure it was $500 or more.

My Oppo BDP-83 is far more capable, even though the Sony is still in service in my bedroom A/V set up. Sony pushes out a firmware update on occasion (last was April 2012), and it still plays anything I throw into it. May take a few minutes to load and get going, but it will eventually play.

The Sony BDP-S300 is often referred to as "the tank", and it does have beef and that rare (these days) build quality.

The Oppo even kind of holds its value, as there is quite a market for them on ebay. Especially with the region mod kit, which I bought on ebay for about 50 bucks.

David

Last edited by diverdave; 02-19-13 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-19-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by diverdave
It's kind of funny how we've gotten used to inexpensive blu-ray players.

My first DVD player (Pioneer combo laser/DVD) cost $1000. I don't remember exactly what my first blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S300) cost, but I'm pretty sure it was $500 or more.

My Oppo BDP-83 is far more capable, even though the Sony is still in service in my bedroom A/V set up. Sony pushes out a firmware update on occasion (last was April 2012), and it still plays anything I throw into it. May take a few minutes to load and get going, but it will eventually play.

The Sony BDP-S300 is often referred to as "the tank", and it does have beef and that rare (these days) build quality.

The Oppo even kind of holds its value, as there is quite a market for them on ebay. Especially with the region mod kit, which I bought on ebay for about 50 bucks.

David
I had the original Sony "tank" - the BDP-S1. Thing felt like it was 15 lbs. I paid $899 for that in November 2006. I wanted to buy Blu-ray and HD DVD the same day, and since that was when PS3's were briefly hard to get, I went with it. So yeah, $500 for my BDP-83 that I've already enjoyed for years seems like no big deal to me.

If there had been an Oppo day 1 for $1K or more I probably would have bought it. I had three different Oppo DVD players before Blu-ray which were all great so for me they've established a great track record of reliability. Certainly much better than that of the Toshiba gear I have owned through the years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.