Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises - Blu-ray + DVD + UV Digital Copy (Dec 07, 2012)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Dark Knight Rises - Blu-ray + DVD + UV Digital Copy (Dec 07, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Blu-ray + DVD + UV Digital Copy (Dec 07, 2012)

Hey, if he or anyone else wants to fucking boast about their fucking collections of the same fucking movie in a shitload of variations, which technically is none of our fucking business but they shove that shit in our fucking faces anyway, then we have every fucking right to ask how the fuck they can afford to do that shit in the first place. Posting photos here is an attention-grab, well, they have our fucking attention and we are naturally fucking curious about it.

(Edited to reflect the post above mine)

Old 12-11-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Xage is the Bruce Wayne of Earth-28(a). Instead of becoming a creature of the night to avenge his parents, this Bruce Wayne opted to conceal his pain by buying as many DVDs & Blu-Ray variants as possible.

"When you have collected every possible version, then you have my permission to die."
Old 12-11-12, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why all the hatred over someone's collecting habits? It's really no different then trying to collect slipcovers, or steelbooks(especially trying to get every country's release that could be the same). Some people like what they like and there really is no need to rip them for it.

I however didn't enjoy the pictures of the like 100 of the same rare steelbook... but hey, i'll live.
Old 12-11-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm all for reappraising Forever as a quality entry in the Batman franchise, but let's not go too overboard in our praise. Schumacher's neon gotham doesn't have the sense of danger that Burton's did (and feels just as much like it was shot all on soundstages, so I'm not quite sure why that criticism is leveled on only Returns), the Batmobile doesn't work for me (although I know it does for others), but by far the biggest problem is Tommy Lee Jones' performance. It's so over the top it makes Jim Carrey look like Laurence Olivier.
I think Batman Forever was on Starz a few months ago. I tried to re-watch it after not seeing it for several years and I had to turn it off after about 45 minutes. Jones single handedly destroyed the movie with his hammy performance. I know Schumacher's films are "campier", but damn Jones' Two-Face really tests your patience. Unfortunately for Kilmer, he had to follow 2 solid performances by Keaton.
Old 12-11-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And I guess since this thread has turned into a general Batman thread, I'm a little surprised WB didn't release newer stock of the older films. They all still appear to be OOP. I guess they are waiting until Man of Steel hits theaters and they'll release them again with movie cash?
Old 12-11-12, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Why all the hatred over someone's collecting habits? Some people like what they like and there really is no need to rip them for it.
Why on every messageboard does someone such as yourself assume there is hatred behind asking the question of why in the first place?
Old 12-11-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Why are you questioning the person asking the question?

Answer the question!
Old 12-11-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Why all the hatred over someone's collecting habits? It's really no different then trying to collect slipcovers.
Probably not the best example to use to try and counter the argument.
Old 12-11-12, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
And I guess since this thread has turned into a general Batman thread, I'm a little surprised WB didn't release newer stock of the older films. They all still appear to be OOP. I guess they are waiting until Man of Steel hits theaters and they'll release them again with movie cash?
The Anthology is OOP or just the individual titles?
Old 12-11-12, 10:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Anthology has been for a while. Not sure about the individual titles.
Old 12-11-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

Why all the hatred over someone's collecting habits? It's really no different then trying to collect slipcovers, or steelbooks(especially trying to get every country's release that could be the same). Some people like what they like and there really is no need to rip them for it.

I however didn't enjoy the pictures of the like 100 of the same rare steelbook... but hey, i'll live.
It's not hatred. Most can do it, spend a couple hundred bucks on a collection like that instead of buying some electronic gizmo.

The question is why?
Old 12-12-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The question is why?
I think it's weird but it's also no different than people that buy multiple variant covers of the same exact comic book. It's still the same book (and likely will never be read) but they feel compelled to own them all.

It's not my thing and I find it weird but it seems to make them happy.

That said, I keep imagining xage doing this with his collection:

Old 12-12-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

The whole "Why would you buy more than one copy?" thing is particularly amusing to me. I know people who view all packaging as disposable waste. People who didn't even keep their cassettes or VHS tapes in the original cases and would often just throw them away, keeping only the tapes themselves. "So what?" they'd ask. I, of course, cringed. I'm the kid who kept each and every accessory to every action figure he ever had. I knew which rifle and backpack belonged to Duke, and where his binoculars were, at all times. I'd have kept the card backs if I hadn't grown up in an environment surrounded by heathens who threw away as much of what they bought as they could.
Old 12-12-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think it's weird but it's also no different than people that buy multiple variant covers of the same exact comic book. It's still the same book (and likely will never be read) but they feel compelled to own them all.
I used to do the variant cover thing. There's one book in my collection with 11 different covers, and I have them all. I don't anymore, because I have other priorities. I have a family, and I don't have the disposable income that I used to. I don't know that I ever had the disposable income to do this though, blu's are significantly more expensive than comics.
Old 12-12-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I used to do the variant cover thing. There's one book in my collection with 11 different covers, and I have them all.
I'll bite. What issue?
Old 12-12-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'll bite. What issue?
The Darkness #11
Old 12-12-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The Darkness #11
I think the most variants I ever owned was maybe four. I know there were four variants of Robin II: The Joker's Wild! #1. I think I had four different versions of Batman #500, too.

Just to somewhat connect The Darkness to Batman, I was fortunate enough to get a sketch from Marc Silvestri at C2E2 this year of Batgirl. He was sketching for free, believe it or not!

Spoiler:
Old 12-12-12, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that Barbara?
Old 12-12-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The Anthology is OOP or just the individual titles?
I think all of them are OOP. The WB Shop still has the box set.
Old 12-12-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Is that Barbara?
Yarp. Funny thing; Silvestri actually couldn't remember what Batgirl looked like. My friend borrowed a T-shirt from the nearby Graphitti Designs booth for him to use as reference. It was the shirt that features Adam Hughes's cover art for Batgirl #1. He was going to just sketch "Batman with hair" until my friend brought over the shirt.

Also - and this is entirely true as well - I originally asked him to sketch Captain Caveman. That didn't happen because he had no idea who the hell Captain Caveman was.
Old 12-12-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Fuck that. I want to know how the fuck he can afford that shit. We all buy movies, fine. But xage takes it to a level that I want to know how the fuck he does it. None of my fucking business? Sure. Still...who is xage?! And how does he do it?!
I'm the anti-Xage. I said before I really dislike the packaging concepts. It came up when the Blockbuster sale was going and people were complaining about the cases. I don't care if it comes in a shit covered paper bag, all I want is the movie.

That being said, any other sales before Christmas ya think? I still have to grab this for my son.
Old 12-12-12, 01:50 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Just got my copy yesterday. At long last, I can understand what Bane is saying! That's not even counting subtitles.
Old 12-12-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
That being said, any other sales before Christmas ya think? I still have to grab this for my son.
I'm eagerly awaiting the Best Buy ad that starts this Sunday. I assume the week before Christmas ad could be similar to the extremely strong one they had leading up to Black Friday.

Amazon was selling Dark Knight Rises for $17.96 earlier this week, but it's back to $24.96.
Old 12-12-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xage
good thing I did the pre-order as soon as it started for the bat cowl

pic is still work-in-progress .. got to wait with the happy meal edition (WB exclusive)

You didn't get the Dutch import steelbook with film strip? (not my photo)

Or the Canadian one?
Old 12-12-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I'm the kid who kept each and every accessory to every action figure he ever had. I knew which rifle and backpack belonged to Duke, and where his binoculars were, at all times.
When I lost one of Tunnel Rat's little flashlights, I scoured every centimeter of my bedroom in a grid search over and over again looking for it. Never did find the damn thing. It still upsets me when I see the empty slot in his backpack.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.