Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises - Blu-ray + DVD + UV Digital Copy (Dec 07, 2012)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Dark Knight Rises - Blu-ray + DVD + UV Digital Copy (Dec 07, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises - Blu-ray + DVD + UV Digital Copy (Dec 07, 2012)

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Not 15 years late.

Not even quite a year, actually. This happened last January.
Then I definitely do feel bad for missing this at the time. I was away from this forum around that time of the year, which at least explains why I was oblivious. I hope you've been able to begin healing.
Old 12-10-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah I don't know why history looks down on Batman Forever. It is my favorite of the 4, and as stated it was huge.

It had the music tie in with the U2 and Seal videos, huge marketing ties with McDonald's, Jim Carrey at his peak, a new lead, director and Batmobile, introduction of Robin, etc etc. That movie was a monster.

Still waiting for the extended cut
Old 12-10-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'll take the Clooney campfest over that Kilmer/Carey turd any day.

Granted I haven't seen either in years, but the two of them were awful casting choices.
Old 12-10-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon has the Batcowl in stock! Andele!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009K45Y62
Old 12-10-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

All of the Batman movies of the last 25 years are a "product of the times" though some are much more so than others. Specifically, I think Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are especially 90s in their sensibilities and that doesn't particularly help their case when people look back on them. It also makes it easier to lump the two together.

Batman Returns, for all of its flaws, suffers from this the least in my opinion. For better or worse, it is a distinctly Burton-ian take on Batman that seems to be more of a reflection of some alternate time and place that exists in Burton's imagination than any particular societal trends of the early 90s.

It'll be interesting to see how the "grounded" approach of Nolan's trilogy holds up for critics 20 years down the line.
Old 12-10-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY

I was never interested but, if I were, at those prices, they can keep it.
Old 12-10-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
All of the Batman movies of the last 25 years are a "product of the times" though some are much more so than others. Specifically, I think Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are especially 90s in their sensibilities and that doesn't particularly help their case when people look back on them. It also makes it easier to lump the two together.

Batman Returns, for all of its flaws, suffers from this the least in my opinion. For better or worse, it is a distinctly Burton-ian take on Batman that seems to be more of a reflection of some alternate time and place that exists in Burton's imagination than any particular societal trends of the early 90s.

It'll be interesting to see how the "grounded" approach of Nolan's trilogy holds up for critics 20 years down the line.
My 90's weren't as flamboyant as Batman & Robin!
Old 12-10-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was never interested but, if I were, at those prices, they can keep it.
Well, when that link was posted, they did have it in stock for $39.99.
Old 12-10-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
It is all Joker, unlike some such as Tom Cruise always playing Cruise with another name.
Tropic Thunder and Magnolia.
Old 12-10-12, 06:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was weak. Noticed I had a reward zone certificate, so I used it and got all three steelbooks from Best Buy. Damn my eyes!
Old 12-10-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those of you that buy multiple versions, how do you decide which disc to view the film on, or is it just random? I assume the quality of the film itself is identical on each blu-ray disc, even if the special features are different.
Old 12-10-12, 07:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
For those of you that buy multiple versions, how do you decide which disc to view the film on, or is it just random? I assume the quality of the film itself is identical on each blu-ray disc, even if the special features are different.
Netflix or Redbox is the only decision that needs to be made.
Old 12-10-12, 07:34 PM

DigiBook, so I can see what's inside the book.
Old 12-10-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Tropic Thunder and Magnolia.
Nope, he's still just playing a slightly different version of himself in those as well. Good performances, but he always plays pretty much the same cocky asshole. I think Born on 4th July is his only real deviation, and even that has a lot of him in it.
Old 12-10-12, 10:26 PM

okay you win.
Old 12-10-12, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Then I definitely do feel bad for missing this at the time. I was away from this forum around that time of the year, which at least explains why I was oblivious. I hope you've been able to begin healing.
I didn't really mention it here much outside of other threads in, well, "Other". Thanks though. It gets easier, but it doesn't get better. Christmas doesn't exist for me anymore as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah I don't know why history looks down on Batman Forever. It is my favorite of the 4, and as stated it was huge.

It had the music tie in with the U2 and Seal videos, huge marketing ties with McDonald's, Jim Carrey at his peak, a new lead, director and Batmobile, introduction of Robin, etc etc. That movie was a monster.

Still waiting for the extended cut
With the deleted "Dick's Pain" which is still funny. Because it's crude. I loved that Batmobile. It's my second-favorite behind the Tumbler. Goldenthal's title theme, The "Panther" suit...dammit I love Batman Forever!

And Kiss from a Rose? Forget about it. That song and the Bat Signal video are awesome.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Granted I haven't seen either in years, but the two of them were awful casting choices.
Clooney was basically Clooney in a blue Batman costume (I hesitate to use "Batsuit" for some reason in this case) but Kilmer was a great, brooding Bruce Wayne. He didn't play him so much like Wayne and Batman were two entities, though. More like two sides of the same coin...which was a total coincidence since Two-Face was one of the villains so it all worked out! Mind. Blown. Yeah.

Originally Posted by kefrank
The reason it doesn't hold up for me is not the story, the costumes, the effects...in fact it looks to me like the most 'modern' and 'sleek' of the four films, but just the fact that the entire thing looks exactly like it was filmed on an interior soundstage which it obviously was, but they weren't able to overcome that (or possibly weren't willing to). Daytime, nighttime, it all looks like a movie production if that makes any sense.
Old 12-11-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Nope, he's still just playing a slightly different version of himself in those as well. Good performances, but he always plays pretty much the same cocky asshole. I think Born on 4th July is his only real deviation, and even that has a lot of him in it.
I always think it's hilarious when I see people citing this as a lack of acting talent.

How many actors are chameleonic? Not many, and they certainly aren't the only good or great actors.

Cruise is no more guilty of it than any other leading man.
Old 12-11-12, 12:26 AM
Banned by request

I'm all for reappraising Forever as a quality entry in the Batman franchise, but let's not go too overboard in our praise. Schumacher's neon gotham doesn't have the sense of danger that Burton's did (and feels just as much like it was shot all on soundstages, so I'm not quite sure why that criticism is leveled on only Returns), the Batmobile doesn't work for me (although I know it does for others), but by far the biggest problem is Tommy Lee Jones' performance. It's so over the top it makes Jim Carrey look like Laurence Olivier.
Old 12-11-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

If they could only delete the entire films - Schumacher's Batman films are stinking piles of shit.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ioQiparmEns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

/facepalm
Old 12-11-12, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm all for reappraising Forever as a quality entry in the Batman franchise, but let's not go too overboard in our praise. Schumacher's neon gotham doesn't have the sense of danger that Burton's did (and feels just as much like it was shot all on soundstages, so I'm not quite sure why that criticism is leveled on only Returns)

Accurately remembering the fact that Batman Forever was indeed well received isn't going overboard with praise. All I did after was point out what I enjoyed about it which wasn't any comment on the story, acting or any other element that would lend itself to a "critical" analysis.

I don't mind that Forever was shot on soundstages because they clearly did shoot on location in some areas where you could see actual natural light and sky, which made all the difference (to me) and the interior stuff was so colorful and over-the-top that it took the sting out of it feeling closed in and artificial the way Returns did. Batman was shot at a studio as well, but one with an open sky so it too did not feel closed-in and fake. It's a minor detail but (again to me) it made all the difference.

Speaking of movies from 1995, I've just learned a "Jumanji" remake is on the way. Oh joy.
Old 12-11-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Batman and Robin is crap. At least Batman Forever was a tad better. It's been making the rounds on the premium channels this week, and while it's a lot worse than I remembered, come on.... "The name is Freeze. Remember it well, for it's the chilling sound of your doom!"
Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY

Pass. Don't need a cheap plastic dust collector.

Originally Posted by xage
good thing I did the pre-order as soon as it started for the bat cowl

pic is still work-in-progress .. got to wait with the happy meal edition (WB exclusive)

Why do you (or anybody for that matter) collect so many copies of the same movie? I knew you did it with the Saw films, but what's the point? At least when people collect figurines or trading cards, they're different. So you get a few different covers and a statue or whatnot.

Not a knock on you, xage, just seriously wondering.....
Old 12-11-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Why do you (or anybody for that matter) collect so many copies of the same movie? I knew you did it with the Saw films, but what's the point? At least when people collect figurines or trading cards, they're different. So you get a few different covers and a statue or whatnot.
Many have asked this question. "Because he can" is what it comes down to.
Old 12-11-12, 04:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Accurately remembering the fact that Batman Forever was indeed well received isn't going overboard with praise. All I did after was point out what I enjoyed about it which wasn't any comment on the story, acting or any other element that would lend itself to a "critical" analysis.

I don't mind that Forever was shot on soundstages because they clearly did shoot on location in some areas where you could see actual natural light and sky, which made all the difference (to me) and the interior stuff was so colorful and over-the-top that it took the sting out of it feeling closed in and artificial the way Returns did. Batman was shot at a studio as well, but one with an open sky so it too did not feel closed-in and fake. It's a minor detail but (again to me) it made all the difference.

Speaking of movies from 1995, I've just learned a "Jumanji" remake is on the way. Oh joy.
I just wanted to put some perspective on the lovefest.

And, personally, I think Batman Returns is the best of the pre-Nolan bat films. Soundstages or not, Burton made a really singular film that is a spot-on homage to German expressionism.
Old 12-11-12, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck that. I want to know how the fuck he can afford that shit. We all buy movies, fine. But xage takes it to a level that I want to know how the fuck he does it. None of my fucking business? Sure. Still...who is xage?! And how does he do it?!

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-11-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Fuck that. I want to know how the fuck he can afford that shit. We all buy movies, fine. But xage takes it to a level that I want to know how the fuck he does it. None of my fucking business? Sure. Still...who is xage?! And how can does he doe it?!
I think you mean "who the fuck is xage?!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.