Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still watch DVDs in your collection if an HD version is available?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Do you still watch DVDs in your collection if an HD version is available?

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Can you explain how the trade and save works. Because I have about 250 more dvd's I wanna get rid of.
When Best Buy is running its upgrade and save program, you just take in one commercially pressed DVD, and they will give you a coupon for $5 a Blu-ray priced $9.99 or higher. Make sure you bring the original art and case. You can trade 5 DVDs in one visit.

As always, there are some aspects that seem to be a little YMMV. I think some stores are more liberal about what they accept than others. While the coupon itself says it can't be used on items that are on sale, I along with most others have never had any issue doing so.

Edit to add: Just one more note worth mentioning. You don't have to use the coupons on the day you do your trade in, but the ones that are issued do have expiration dates. So, it's not like you can trade in a bunch of DVDs and then have a huge stash of $5 coupons to use anytime you want.
Old 07-10-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will watch a DVD only if that is all I have (No BR) and the movie has not been watch in a long time.

Sometimes a friend comes over and wants to watch a movie that I only have DVD, then it is watch with not problems.

That being said, most DVDs are tons worse than BR. The Superbit (Zorro, Fifth Element...) titles seem to hold up well, but the BR is still better.

VQ is more important to me than sound, I love the clear sound of BR, but my wife does not like the house shaking while I watch an Action type BR movie.
Old 07-10-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't double-dipped but for a handful of titles, so it's DVD all the way, baby. I even get mileage out of the combo packs, as DVD players are still far, far more ubiquitous than HD set-ups.
Old 07-10-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. I rarely even watch the dvds that I have left no matter how much I like the movie (which is shame, because they should all be on bd).

The only dvds that I have left are about 6 that were recently announced for blu and I'll use for the BB trade-in promo and another 40 movies on dvd that I will keep until they go blu.

There are also anywhere between 15-20 dvds that I don't own anymore, but wish that I did because there's no bd on the horizon.
Old 07-10-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The French Connection(old BD) and The Scooby Doo movie. I prefer the DVD. the BD is too grainy.

I've upgraded alot to BD. But, there are some DVDs that I've upgraded to BD that I won't get rid of for the Special Features. Mostly Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, I won't get rid of the 3-disc box set.
Old 07-10-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
And OP why if I have the BD would I ever want to watch the SD version? Unless I'm going to a place without a BD player???
I thought his question was do owners of DVDs still watch them if there is a BD version of said film available to purchase/upgrade.
Old 07-10-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Don't you care about some bonus features not being on the blu-ray that were on the dvds ?
Nope. I used to care about bonus features years ago when DVD first came out. Now I find that I hardly ever watch the bonus features even once, much less twice...so bonus features honestly mean nothing to me anymore.

All I need is a good transfer and good sound.
Old 07-11-12, 01:06 AM
Banned

I'm the complete opposite. Sometimes, the bonus features are more interesting than the movies themselves. For instance, I love A Knight's Tale. But 9 times out of 10, when I watch the movie, I watch it with the commentary. That's one of the best commentaries that I've ever heard. The Thing (collector's edition dvd. The blu-ray is absolute crap) has a great documentary that lasts almost an hour and a half. I love it. I guess we all like different things.
Old 07-11-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I have too many DVDs that still look very good to go to the expense of upgrading.
Old 07-11-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I'm the complete opposite. Sometimes, the bonus features are more interesting than the movies themselves. For instance, I love A Knight's Tale. But 9 times out of 10, when I watch the movie, I watch it with the commentary. That's one of the best commentaries that I've ever heard. The Thing (collector's edition dvd. The blu-ray is absolute crap) has a great documentary that lasts almost an hour and a half. I love it. I guess we all like different things.
If I have a movie where I find the commentary more interesting than the movie itself, then it won't stay in my collection. I buy as movie for the actual movie.

I like documentaries as much as the next guy (actually, they are usually my favorite bonus feature) but I find their rewatchability limited. Once is good for me.

Like you said, different strokes.
Old 07-11-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. That's why I bought the HD version. I watch still regular DVD's. DVD's that aren't available on Blu-Ray or movies I haven't upgraded yet.
Old 07-12-12, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

Yep, as some who have already posted, I make my own special edition via dual or triple bluray cases. The fact that you can watch your movie "anywhere" is a plus. Also special features, that for some unknown reason, don't get ported over to blu.
I was like most at first, selling off my collection, but stopped in my tracks when I found out that a lot of bonus features never arrive on bluray. I have since been double dipping on two disc CE, SE, AE, & DC editions for this very reason.
And yes, I do still watch DVDs, even if I have the bluray equivalent

I will add....If it has a poor Non-Anamorphic tranfer, o ya, it's trash, like "The Mighty ducks", bye bye baby
Old 07-12-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by mike45
No. That's why I bought the HD version. I watch still regular DVD's. DVD's that aren't available on Blu-Ray or movies I haven't upgraded yet.
So, technically, your answer to the question is actually yes because you still watch DVDs for movies you haven't upgraded yet.
Old 07-13-12, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did forget that I will keep and watch the DVD version and not upgrade to the BD if the DVD is the only way to have an extended/unrated cut of the film (if I prefer it to the theatrical version) such as Fantastic Four or The Punisher (both of which extended cuts are avail on DVD yet have not been released on BD).
Old 07-13-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. I'm not so broken inside that I stare at and curse my DVDs that have a blu-ray counterpart...yet.
Old 07-13-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. If an HD version is available and I don't care enough about the movie to buy it—when it eventually drops to a decent price—then I don't care enough to keep the DVD.

I would make an exception for some TV series: they would be too expensive to replace if they came out on BD. But, so far, none of my TV on DVD sets have come out on BD, save for the very short Firefly. I only own a few favorites, and most are very long series of five to ten seasons. Most TV on DVD/BD is "watch-and-sell", Netflix, or borrowed from the local public library.

I never understood the "completist" fascination with extras. I rarely watch extras more than once so if the BD doesn't have all of the extras of the DVD it replaced I don't care at all. I just want the main feature in high def.
Old 07-14-12, 05:06 AM
Banned

There's nothing odd about watching extras over and over. You watch the same movies over and over again, don't you ? And the same tv shows ?
Old 07-14-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When perusing the shelves for a movie i always go to the HD and BR first. I still watch a lot of DVD's and there are many i wouldn't bother upgrading. If I don't watch it at least once a year or if the DVD is little watched and it's a primo SE I won't bother.
Old 07-14-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep...there are several titles I watch in DVD even if there's he BR version available. Upconversion along with TV's have come a long way though still not BR, the PQ has gotten better. I also take in account the audio in the DVD format vs BR edition.

The other issue would be cost. A prime example is A Bug's Life. We have the original WS DVD but the BR version is around $28.00. A great movie and seen it close to 10 times but $28 for a 14 yr old movie that will give me a bit more better PQ than the upconversion...don't think so. But if it were to fall around $12-14...maybe.