Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

FRIENDS: The Complete Series -> 11/13/2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

FRIENDS: The Complete Series -> 11/13/2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: FRIENDS: The Complete Series -> 11/13/2012

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
The HD airings on Nick at Nite look great, unfortunately they speed it up, I'm assuming to fit in more commercials, so the voices are screwed up.
I don't think Nick at Nite speeds up airings. They do fill in more commercials but they're on that irregular time schedule so there ends up being an extra 30 minutes of commercials in a block.

Say they're airing it for 3 hours. Instead of 6, you'll see 5 episodes because they squeeze more commercials in and shows end up starting at off-times.

They've been doing this for years. TV Land as well.

TBS doesn't air the syndicated HD versions yet. They were given that option I believe last year but haven't switched over yet.
Old 06-23-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
We get the Friends on Blu but no Buffy, Angel, or X-files?!
Well, at least two of the shows you listed (Buffy and Angel; I don't know if The X-Files would have this issue), while shot on film stock, had their post-production done in video. Unlike Paramount, which has been spending a fuck-ton of money to redo Star Trek: The Next Generation in HD, if the opportunity of a Blu-Ray release came about, Fox would probably just upscale the shows, not unlike what they did with The Simpsons Seasons 13 and 14, or Firefly.
Old 06-23-12, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Well, at least two of the shows you listed (Buffy and Angel; I don't know if The X-Files would have this issue), while shot on film stock, had their post-production done in video. Unlike Paramount, which has been spending a fuck-ton of money to redo Star Trek: The Next Generation in HD, if the opportunity of a Blu-Ray release came about, Fox would probably just upscale the shows, not unlike what they did with The Simpsons Seasons 13 and 14, or Firefly.
So basically buying these shows, you're just paying for a "fancy" version of what any decent blu-ray players can do? Or do their process have any added quality?
Old 06-24-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPMA
So basically buying these shows, you're just paying for a "fancy" version of what any decent blu-ray players can do? Or do their process have any added quality?
All of the shows mentioned were shot in 35mm. If a show was remastered from these elements than their video elements, then yes, the process will have significantly better quality than a 480P upconvert.

For most shows, it costs anywhere from $5K to $50K to upgrade from the original 35MM elements to HD. I remember reading online that each episode of That '70s Show cost $15K for the HD conversion, but any interetestial during the show along with some moments were upconverted from the video source as no 35MM element existed. I'm revisiting the series on Netflix as we speak (I'm currently on the sixth season) and while for the most part it looks great, some moments have looked absolutely like shit.

Paramount went back to the original 35mm elements for Star Trek: The Next Generation and re-did all the SFX/VFX in HD as previously as all post-production work was done on video. Obviously, this is the ideal way to go. However, the costs came close to six-figures per episode to have this work done.

When Fox released Firefly on Blu-ray, they used the original 35MM elements, but any SFX/VFX shots were upconverted from 480P to 1080P.

Buffy will never see a 16:9 release on video in the US as Whedon isn't adamant the show was framed for 4:3. However, Angel could as the last season already has 1080P masters that exist and are easily available through iTunes, Playstation Network, etc.
Old 06-24-12, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't know lots about these things, and somehow I couldn't envision just the SFX being upscaled and assumed the whole frames would need to be, basically equaling an upscaling player's work.
Old 06-24-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

The one thing I'm wondering is how they go through all the footage and edit? Do they have to go through the timestamps and re-edit each episode as well, matching the cuts on film to the video versions, because if so that seems like even more of a monumental task.
Old 06-24-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

According to an update from tvshowsondvd.com, the episodes featured in this BD set are the broadcast versions.

The DVD sets (I don't own them) apparently have extended cuts of some episodes. So, if your interested in this set and own the DVDs, you probably want to hang on to them. It says the extended cuts were specially created for the DVDs and don't exist in a form that can be used for the BDs.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Friends...answered/17124
Old 06-24-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If that's the case, they should at least include them in SD for the sake of completion.
Old 06-24-12, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this include the episode where Rachel is snobby, Ross is neurotic, Monica is anal retentive, Joey dumb, Phoebe ditzy and Chandler a smart ass?
Old 06-24-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, I believe that episode is called "The One Where Rachel is Snobby, Ross is Neurotic, Monica is Anal Retentive, Joey Dumb, Phoebe Ditzy and Chandler a Smart Ass". I think it was a two-parter.
Old 06-24-12, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
I don't think Nick at Nite speeds up airings. They do fill in more commercials but they're on that irregular time schedule so there ends up being an extra 30 minutes of commercials in a block.

Say they're airing it for 3 hours. Instead of 6, you'll see 5 episodes because they squeeze more commercials in and shows end up starting at off-times.

They've been doing this for years. TV Land as well.

TBS doesn't air the syndicated HD versions yet. They were given that option I believe last year but haven't switched over yet.
I know they have the weird time slots, but it sure sounds like they're speeding it up to me, seems most noticeable with Chandler's voice.
Old 06-25-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
The one thing I'm wondering is how they go through all the footage and edit? Do they have to go through the timestamps and re-edit each episode as well, matching the cuts on film to the video versions, because if so that seems like even more of a monumental task.
That is exactly what's being done for Star Trek: The Next Generation. CBS has rescanned the original camera negatives and has been re-editing the episodes from scratch using the original editing logs.

I'm not sure about Friends. It depends on whether the show was edited originally on film or on video.
Old 06-25-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Yes, I believe that episode is called "The One Where Rachel is Snobby, Ross is Neurotic, Monica is Anal Retentive, Joey Dumb, Phoebe Ditzy and Chandler a Smart Ass". I think it was a two-parter.
Or maybe a 200-parter
Old 06-25-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
According to an update from tvshowsondvd.com, the episodes featured in this BD set are the broadcast versions.

The DVD sets (I don't own them) apparently have extended cuts of some episodes. So, if your interested in this set and own the DVDs, you probably want to hang on to them. It says the extended cuts were specially created for the DVDs and don't exist in a form that can be used for the BDs.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Friends...answered/17124
One of the extras listed on the specs is:

"The Ones With More Friends: The Original Extended Broadcast Episodes"

So it sounds like they're including the extended episodes (most likely in SD) in addition to the HD Broadcast Versions
Old 06-25-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
That is exactly what's being done for Star Trek: The Next Generation. CBS has rescanned the original camera negatives and has been re-editing the episodes from scratch using the original editing logs.

I'm not sure about Friends. It depends on whether the show was edited originally on film or on video.
If a studio will go to that expense, why are shows ike New Girl not being released on blu-ray? It was already broadcast in HD, so they have the master and just need to make the discs.

I'm sure at least part of your answer is that Star Trek shows sell well to a certain group of people, but they're also spending a lot just to make it available. It doesn't even seem like New Girl would have to sell a ton to make a decent profit and the strongest demo of the show seems like it's people who own HDTVs and blu-ray players.
Old 06-25-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, since Cheers was done on film (and is even available in HD), why is that not available on Blu-ray? I would pay good money for that right fucking now.
Old 06-26-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
If a studio will go to that expense, why are shows ike New Girl not being released on blu-ray? It was already broadcast in HD, so they have the master and just need to make the discs.

I'm sure at least part of your answer is that Star Trek shows sell well to a certain group of people, but they're also spending a lot just to make it available. It doesn't even seem like New Girl would have to sell a ton to make a decent profit and the strongest demo of the show seems like it's people who own HDTVs and blu-ray players.
TV on BD discussed here:

Why aren't there more TV series released on Blu-ray?

Touch -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "Gyre" -- 5/31/12

New Girl specifically here, briefly:

What renewed 1st year show that you missed will you try to re-visit this summer?
Old 06-26-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus, since Cheers was done on film (and is even available in HD), why is that not available on Blu-ray? I would pay good money for that right fucking now.
You probably have a much better chance of getting it than I do of thinking Fox might change their mind after season 2 and releasing New Girl. If tv on dvd/blu is really not doing well, why even release the dvd set of New Girl? I really believe most of its audience watched it in HD, which will suppress the sales of the dvds, only making Fox less likely to release other things on either format. But for the wrong reasons in my humble opinion.

I've already pre-ordered Friends and I'm totally fine with $195 even if that's the release date price. Sony really needs to do this with Seinfeld next year. Having Seinfeld will make up for some of the disappointments.
Old 06-26-12, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
One of the extras listed on the specs is:

"The Ones With More Friends: The Original Extended Broadcast Episodes"

So it sounds like they're including the extended episodes (most likely in SD) in addition to the HD Broadcast Versions
Some of the original episodes were extended when originally broadcast, and those will be included here. What won't be included here are the extended cuts of episodes that *weren't* originally broadcast that way - i.e. DVD-exclusive material. And there's a lot of it.
Old 06-26-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wezzo
Some of the original episodes were extended when originally broadcast, and those will be included here. What won't be included here are the extended cuts of episodes that *weren't* originally broadcast that way - i.e. DVD-exclusive material. And there's a lot of it.
Source? I'm assuming the HD epsidoes will be as originally broadcast, whether they were extended or not. I think the bonus I mentioned is for those OTHER episodes that were updated for the DVD release. I mean if they were extended when originally broadcast, then that's the "original broadcast version" as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-26-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I remember seeing an article with comparison pics of an episode that was getting the HD treatment. Maybe it was a test episode just to see the difference? I dunno, it was a couple years ago and google isn't helping me out right now.
Old 06-26-12, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Source? I'm assuming the HD epsidoes will be as originally broadcast, whether they were extended or not. I think the bonus I mentioned is for those OTHER episodes that were updated for the DVD release. I mean if they were extended when originally broadcast, then that's the "original broadcast version" as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you, except that the extra you refer to specifically describes them as "original extended broadcast episodes" - that couldn't describe the DVD-only material, could it?

Or am I getting a bit lost..
Old 06-26-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wezzo
I agree with you, except that the extra you refer to specifically describes them as "original extended broadcast episodes" - that couldn't describe the DVD-only material, could it?

Or am I getting a bit lost..
I see the way you read that...who knows...I guess we'll just have to wait for a review (or more info).
Old 06-26-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I remember seeing an article with comparison pics of an episode that was getting the HD treatment. Maybe it was a test episode just to see the difference? I dunno, it was a couple years ago and google isn't helping me out right now.
Paramount re-mastered the series in HD. It aired on HDNet and is available on Amazon streaming in HD.

They never came out with a complete series box of Cheers or Frasier. My guess is the individual season sets didn't sell that well.
Old 06-26-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Paramount abandoned a number of series a few years ago and it was a surprise when they resumed releasing stuff like Cheers and Taxi. Family Ties is one that is still unfinished.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.