Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What renewed 1st year show that you missed will you try to re-visit this summer?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What renewed rookie show will you try to catch up on via DVD/BD or re-airs?
Person of Interest
20.34%
Once Upoin a Time
23.73%
Homeland
23.73%
2 Broke Girls
1.69%
Don't Trust the B in Apt 23
3.39%
New Girl
5.08%
Suburgatory
5.08%
Scandal
5.08%
Up All Night
3.39%
Grimm
33.90%
Touch
10.17%
Revenge
18.64%
Girls
11.86%
Veep
8.47%
House of Lies
1.69%
Other (Name it)
3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

What renewed 1st year show that you missed will you try to re-visit this summer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: What renewed 1st year show that you missed will you try to re-visit this summer?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's been consistently the same. If you didn't like those 8 I wouldn't waste your time.
While I respect your opinion, your definitely in the minority. I know you haven't really clicked with the show for whatever reason. But, yes it's it's become kickass action entertainment almost up to par with 24. And in the 2nd half of the season it had become alot more serialized. You probably haven't watched the season finale yet, but it kicked major ass. Best episode of the season. Nobody here had a bad thing to say about it.
Old 05-24-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: What renewed 1st year show that you missed will you try to re-visit this summer?

As for me,

I have to catch up on Switched at Birth. I love the show, but I fell about 8 weeks behind in the 2nd half of the season and needed the DVR space. Luckily the entire 22 episodes are posted on Netflix.

I also need to catchup on Grimm.
Old 05-24-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing.

Only Big Brother and the Olympics will be watched a lot in our house this summer.

We will, however, do marathons of Homeland and Once Upon A Time on blu just before each's next new season. We'd do that with New Girl as well, but we're flabbergasted and disappointed they don't seem to have any desire to release it in HD.
Old 05-24-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
May I HIGHLY recommend Homeland for those that missed it...it's not only the best new show on this list, it's arguably the best show on TV.
I actually ORDERED Showtime to watch this sight unseen on-demand. It really was just absolute genius. I can't wait until it returns. It IS the best show on this list.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I may tune in to Suburgatory if they re-air it. I won't go out of my way though.
You really ought to. I considered it a fluff comedy (even though I LOVE all of the actors on it - WHAT A CAST) but it was really funny... the finale LITERALLY knocked me over. I intend to rewatch it a few times before I delete it.
Old 05-24-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
While I respect your opinion, your definitely in the minority. I know you haven't really clicked with the show for whatever reason. But, yes it's it's become kickass action entertainment almost up to par with 24. And in the 2nd half of the season it had become alot more serialized. You probably haven't watched the season finale yet, but it kicked major ass. Best episode of the season. Nobody here had a bad thing to say about it.
The feeling is mutual, and you're right, the finale is sitting on the DVR. However I'm not seeing the "24" connection you're seeing. There was far more action in the first handful of episodes. The action sequences are solid, they're just too sparse to be compared to 24. I will agree the last few episodes have become more serialized, but on the whole the show has been pretty consistent all the way through.
Old 05-24-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only seen the first episode of Girls, I'm going to try and catch up.
Old 05-25-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I fell behind on everything HBO, so I'll be catching up on Veep, Girls, and Game Of Thrones. I've only seen the first episode of Girls.

I'll also be watching Magic City, but I don't know if that's been renewed yet.
Old 05-25-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheKing
I fell behind on everything HBO, so I'll be catching up on Veep, Girls, and Game Of Thrones. I've only seen the first episode of Girls.

I'll also be watching Magic City, but I don't know if that's been renewed yet.
Magic City was renewed for a 2nd season after the 1st broadcast.
Old 05-25-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched Grimm which is really good so Once Upon a time I'd like to check out. No interest in the rest. I am watching the first season of Game of Thrones and that is very good. Another good show is Lost Girl. I DVR'ed it when I first heard about it but did not watch it right away. After the first few I liked it but kind of watched it after I watched all the other stuff on the DVR. Then after about 5 or 6 shows I really got into it. It's right up there with Grimm for me.
Old 05-25-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Grimm for me it really looks like a show I would like. I am not sure why I never watched it.

Does anyone know if you need to see them in order?
Old 05-25-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Grimm for me it really looks like a show I would like. I am not sure why I never watched it.

Does anyone know if you need to see them in order?
Episode 3 re-airs tonight. Monday at 10pm the Pilot re-airs and then episode 13, 14 etc.

The Pilot sets everything up, but for the most part the episodes are self contained. They do touch on the longer seasonal arc here and there.
Old 05-25-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For me it's Revenge and Suburgatory - Revenge for all the good buzz I've been hearing and Suburgatory because it looks like a show I would like but it somehow flew under my radar.
Old 05-25-12, 09:24 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Grimm for me too after catching up with some other shows i saved this season (fringe, torchwood and spartacus vengeance)
Old 05-25-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
We will, however, do marathons of Homeland and Once Upon A Time on blu just before each's next new season. We'd do that with New Girl as well, but we're flabbergasted and disappointed they don't seem to have any desire to release it in HD.
Why be flabbergasted that they aren't releasing a comedy on BD? It's pretty standard these days, and even some dramas and serialized shows don't get it either.
Old 05-26-12, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

As for me,

I have to catch up on Switched at Birth. I love the show, but I fell about 8 weeks behind in the 2nd half of the season and needed the DVR space. Luckily the entire 22 episodes are posted on Netflix.
Meh. The second half of the Season wasn't very good IMO. I might just drop it depending when it comes back.
Old 05-26-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5 eps of Person of Interest to finish off but I don't think that's enough to count here.

As far as the poll I only answered Homeland because I've heard really good things but I've never seen a second of the show, or even a promo AFAIK. So I'll have to track down these episodes on DVD, online, reruns or something.

Reading the OP I would have to throw Grimm in as well because I have 18 episodes recorded but unwatched.

The problem is I have so much backlogged. I'm thinking of just dumping the last 1 1/2 seasons of House I haven't watched.
Old 05-26-12, 11:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The Grimm pilot episode was (is?) free on Amazon Video.
Old 05-26-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wmansir
As far as the poll I only answered Homeland because I've heard really good things but I've never seen a second of the show, or even a promo AFAIK. So I'll have to track down these episodes on DVD, online, reruns or something.

Reading the OP I would have to throw Grimm in as well because I have 18 episodes recorded but unwatched.

The problem is I have so much backlogged. I'm thinking of just dumping the last 1 1/2 seasons of House I haven't watched.
Do you subscribe to Showtime? I'm guessing probably not.

http://www.sho.com/sho/homeland/home

Homeland is a premium cable series. Season 1 is available On Demand. It's 12 episodes including a 90 minute finale. Season 2 returns September 30, so you have about 4 months to catch up on 12 episodes. But, it sounds like you don't have much time with all your backlog. There is no release date yet for the DVD/BD.

As many here have said in the weekly threads, it was by far the best new television series this past season. It's 100% worth making the effort to watch.
Old 05-26-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Meh. The second half of the Season wasn't very good IMO. I might just drop it depending when it comes back.
It's scheduled to return in the Fall. I'm still going to watch it. As I said I only watched 2 episodes from the 2nd half of the season, but I still really liked all the characters.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Why be flabbergasted that they aren't releasing a comedy on BD? It's pretty standard these days, and even some dramas and serialized shows don't get it either.
Yeah for the most part, TV on BD just doesn't sell very well, especially for the less popular shows. The studios aren't going to spend the extra money for something very few are going to buy.
Old 05-28-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I hope everyone watches Up All Night but I doubt it.

It got better after the initial shows.
Old 05-28-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We hung in with up all night, but ditched it after 6-7 episodes
Old 05-28-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Grimm-Season-1/17000

For those who want to catch up on Grimm, the DVD/BD will apparently be released August 7th (not confirmed though)

As I said earlier in this thread, select episodes are re-airing throughout the summer.

FYI, the 2nd season of Grimm is expected to premiere shortly after the Olympics (1st week of September) They have already started shooting the 2nd season. Your not going to have alot of time to catch up if your waiting for the DVD/BD.

Revenge comes out on DVD August 21st.

http://www.amazon.com/Revenge-The-Co...8240742&sr=8-1
Old 05-28-12, 04:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Grimm-Season-1/17000

For those who want to catch up on Grimm, the DVD/BD will apparently be released August 7th (not confirmed though)

As I said earlier in this thread, select episodes are re-airing throughout the summer.

FYI, the 2nd season of Grimm is expected to premiere shortly after the Olympics (1st week of September) They have already started shooting the 2nd season. Your not going to have alot of time to catch up if your waiting for the DVD/BD.
Watched the pilot on Amazon and loved it. Will definitely pick up the BD set, even though I should probably first catch up on my 4 unwatched seasons of Supernatural and several hundred unwatched seasons of other shows.
Old 05-28-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watched the pilot on Amazon and loved it. Will definitely pick up the BD set, even though I should probably first catch up on my 4 unwatched seasons of Supernatural and several hundred unwatched seasons of other shows.
Yeah probably very unlikely you will get caught up in time for season 2 considering your years of unwatched backlog. I say watch your thousands of dollars of backlog 1st and then see where your at with time.
Old 06-02-12, 07:21 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

working my way thru 'Person of Interest' right now and half way thru the season and enjoying it. Going to wait for the season finale of 'Game of Thrones' and then start that over since wife and I watched the first 2 episodes but then lost track of it for some reason or another.