Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers - Sept. 25, 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Avengers - Sept. 25, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: The Avengers - Sept. 25, 2012

Looks like Thor is rocking the "Rachel" hair do.
Old 04-03-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Hulk only gets a four pack
Old 04-03-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks like they will be getting a pretty cool version of Iron Man 3 (with statue) as well..

http://www.amazon.fr/Coffret-prestig...117587-1904067
Old 04-04-13, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Updated
Has anyone ever created a fake set (via Photoshop or other means) just to watch xage go nuts trying to track it down?
Old 04-04-13, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argggggghhh I just got my Phase One box set and the "Tessaract" is not lighting up!!!
Old 04-04-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Has anyone ever created a fake set (via Photoshop or other means) just to watch xage go nuts trying to track it down?
That's just evil... deliciously evil.
Old 04-04-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Argggggghhh I just got my Phase One box set and the "Tessaract" is not lighting up!!!
I thought mine was defective as well, but you REALLY have to smack it against your palm to get it to light up. It doesn't just stay lit. Smack it and it flashes for a bit.

Very odd design choice to have to hit it that hard...
Old 04-04-13, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I thought mine was defective as well, but you REALLY have to smack it against your palm to get it to light up. It doesn't just stay lit. Smack it and it flashes for a bit.

Very odd design choice to have to hit it that hard...
Hahaha I actually just did that kinda got annoyed and it started flashing. Kinda strange but I guess its one way to be able to switch it off automatically or else it would be on all the time.

Im very glad I never bought any of the Marvel movies on Blu-ray! Phew save me from having double copies.
Old 04-04-13, 04:22 PM

The unboxing video that was posted earlier said that the more you smash it, it also flickers more.
Old 04-04-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

After seeing some unboxings of this set I'm glad I didn't bother selling off my Marvel Phase One films in exchange for this. The set looks pretty cheaply made and not all that impressive in my opinion. Certainly doesn't look like it's worth more than $100. The coolest things from it are probably the "files" and other paper items that come with the set.
Old 04-04-13, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
...The coolest things from it are probably the "files" and other paper items that come with the set.
Precisely. It's a toy. Some of us still have toys and memorabilia. I like action figures and the like. I even keep my movie ticket stub and tuck it in with the Blu-ray Disc when I purchase it.

As for this set, the included files, cards, clippings, and lenticular decoder are fun. Some folks will not not break the seal in hopes of making a profit or simply take pride in "owning" a collector's item, while some of us will actually look over and handle the stuff (Some will pour over every word.) I don't see anything wrong with any of it as long as you're not sacrificing something more worthy of your funds in order to feed your habit.

Conversely, I clearly understand those, like yourself, who choose to pass on such a purchase based on the cost/quality ratio not being up to your standards. That's completely understandable, and is not a reflection of your loyalty to "Avengers fandom". The fact that you even considered it already speaks to that.

With regard to the quality, The cardboard sleeves that that contain the discs are destined to show wear in a very short time. I have most of the the included films already, plus I rip and remux my more frequently watched Blu-rays to external 2 TB hard drives and watch them from my PlayStation 3. That said, I always like to "have" the physical media. It takes me back to the days of liner notes in vinyl records.

On another note, the SHIELD card made me dig out my "Avengers Security Clearance Card" that I picked up somewhere as a kid. I think it came with a comic or maybe a Wizard mag. Here are the 2 side-by-side.

Old 04-28-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Just an fyi for those of you who bought this set...be sure to double-check your Iron Man 2 disc. I was just looking at mine today and it was the dvd and not the BD in the slipcase.

I had checked it originally when the set first came but I overlooked it for one main reason...it says disc 3 on it. Since it was the third movie in the series, I didn't think anything of it and just assumed that was what it meant. Nope...it states disc 3 because the original IM2 three disc set came with the dvd version as the third disc since the first disc was the BD and the second was the BD extras disc. I bought a cheap used copy of IM2 the other day so I would have the extras disc and was looking to put it in my set. This caused me to look at this disc more carefully this time around and that was when I caught the mistake. It is likely someone just pulled the wrong disc when they were putting the movies in the set's special envelopes since they did not strike new discs for this set.

I have contacted Amazon and they are going to take care of it but just wanted everyone to double -check their copies if they just originally glanced at theirs like I did.
Old 04-28-13, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the info! I just double-checked mine and had the blu-ray disc.
Old 04-28-13, 06:10 PM

Yeah, I appreciate the heads-up, too, Brian. I just checked all mine as well, and they're all Blu.
Old 04-29-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by 120inna55
Precisely. It's a toy. Some of us still have toys and memorabilia. I like action figures and the like. I even keep my movie ticket stub and tuck it in with the Blu-ray Disc when I purchase it.

As for this set, the included files, cards, clippings, and lenticular decoder are fun. Some folks will not not break the seal in hopes of making a profit or simply take pride in "owning" a collector's item, while some of us will actually look over and handle the stuff (Some will pour over every word.) I don't see anything wrong with any of it as long as you're not sacrificing something more worthy of your funds in order to feed your habit.

Conversely, I clearly understand those, like yourself, who choose to pass on such a purchase based on the cost/quality ratio not being up to your standards. That's completely understandable, and is not a reflection of your loyalty to "Avengers fandom". The fact that you even considered it already speaks to that.

With regard to the quality, The cardboard sleeves that that contain the discs are destined to show wear in a very short time. I have most of the the included films already, plus I rip and remux my more frequently watched Blu-rays to external 2 TB hard drives and watch them from my PlayStation 3. That said, I always like to "have" the physical media. It takes me back to the days of liner notes in vinyl records.

On another note, the SHIELD card made me dig out my "Avengers Security Clearance Card" that I picked up somewhere as a kid. I think it came with a comic or maybe a Wizard mag. Here are the 2 side-by-side.

Your avengers card came in a Wizard magazine. I know because I have the same card.
Old 08-17-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

4K review. Looks like a solid upgrade.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Av...207639/#Review