Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Muppets 3/20/12

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Muppets 3/20/12

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: The Muppets 3/20/12

Originally Posted by Isny
It's unfortunate that they left out a good chunk of deleted scenes. I was assuming we would have gotten every cameo scene that was left out, but it seems that may not be the case.
I've heard it claimed that there was some behind-the-scenes strife regarding the final cut of the movie. That's why there are some obvious gaps where chunks of storylines are missing, such as Chris Cooper's recurring "Maniacal Laugh" gag, which has niether any setup or payoff.
Old 03-14-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I've heard it claimed that there was some behind-the-scenes strife regarding the final cut of the movie. That's why there are some obvious gaps where chunks of storylines are missing, such as Chris Cooper's recurring "Maniacal Laugh" gag, which has niether any setup or payoff.
That part bothered me the most. There is a payoff to it (two, in fact) but since it wasn't properly set up, it feels like it came out of nowhere. Weird that they cut down his song which actually helped establish why he hates the Muppets and explains the whole "maniacal laugh" bit.
Old 03-14-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That part bothered me the most. There is a payoff to it (two, in fact) but since it wasn't properly set up, it feels like it came out of nowhere. Weird that they cut down his song which actually helped establish why he hates the Muppets and explains the whole "maniacal laugh" bit.
Before I heard the whole song it didn't bother me one bit about the "maniacal laugh" thing. I thought it was funny just because villains always laugh like that for no reason in movies, I never expected any kind of "pay off" or anything like that.
Old 03-14-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Before I heard the whole song it didn't bother me one bit about the "maniacal laugh" thing. I thought it was funny just because villains always laugh like that for no reason in movies, I never expected any kind of "pay off" or anything like that.
I didn't bother me one bit until the movie decided to pay it off twice.
Spoiler:
One of Cooper's henchmen openly mocks his inability to laugh and then later he's "cured" due to an injury sustained from Gonzo's bowling ball.
It felt rather awkward at that point. The song could have easily solved that.
Old 03-14-12, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't bother me one bit until the movie decided to pay it off twice.
Spoiler:
One of Cooper's henchmen openly mocks his inability to laugh and then later he's "cured" due to an injury sustained from Gonzo's bowling ball.
It felt rather awkward at that point. The song could have easily solved that.
Spoiler:
didn't the bowling ball simply make Cooper into a changed man for good? I don't remember it having to do w/ the laugh. He was evil. So he laughed. And the fact that he kept saying "maniacal laugh" was the obvoious cheesy nod to maniacal laughs. I didn't see any way for it be to set up, bro. I t just was.
Old 03-14-12, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Spoiler:
didn't the bowling ball simply make Cooper into a changed man for good? I don't remember it having to do w/ the laugh.
The whole bit with the ball curing his inability to laugh was cut entirely from the movie.
Old 03-14-12, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah...was it necessary within the context? I don't see how it would better the character.
Old 03-15-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
didn't the bowling ball simply make Cooper into a changed man for good? I don't remember it having to do w/ the laugh. He was evil. So he laughed. And the fact that he kept saying "maniacal laugh" was the obvoious cheesy nod to maniacal laughs. I didn't see any way for it be to set up, bro. I t just was.
Spoiler:
I thought so as well until one of his two henchmen (not the bear) openly mocked him for his inability to laugh while they were climbing the broadcast antenna. At that point they were paying off a joke they never set up. Then he suddenly gains the ability to laugh due to the bowling ball which causes the change of heart in him. Had they cut the earlier bit on the antenna, it could be viewed that the bowling ball made him a good man rather than cure his inability to laugh.

It was a sloppy oversight in the editing stage.

Ah...was it necessary within the context? I don't see how it would better the character.
It wouldn't better the character but it would justify the broadcast antenna scene.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-15-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-15-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird that they cut down his song which actually helped establish why he hates the Muppets and explains the whole "maniacal laugh" bit.
Yeah, but the song was terrible. The little of it we got in the movie was painful enough to sit through.

The way it plays now, the "Maniacal Laugh" bit is a bizarre non-sequitur that isn't explained, doesn't make any sense, and (most importantly) just isn't funny. It needs some set-up to explain why he says "Maniacal Laugh" rather than maniacally laughing. As adults, we can piece it together that "Oh yeah, that's supposed to be making fun of villains who laugh maniacally." But, again, it isn't funny the way it plays now. It's something that sounds more amusing in concept than it turns out to be in execution, and kids in the audience will not get the joke at all.
Old 03-15-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

Yeah, the "maniacal laugh" bit was my biggest gripe about the film. Like Josh said, as an adult it's easy to figure out the "joke" it was just not funny and wildly out of place without a setup.

I had no idea the setup was part of deleted scene material. Sounds like a director's cut should have been put together for the DVD release.
Old 03-15-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but the song was terrible. The little of it we got in the movie was painful enough to sit through.
I actually liked the song. But thatly because I didn't expect Chris Cooper to be so manic. Even when he's playing a pissed off bad guy, he's usually just gritting his teeth and not acting all super excited and happy.

The one song I didn't like at all was the disco duet with Amy Adams and Miss Piggy.

The way it plays now, the "Maniacal Laugh" bit is a bizarre non-sequitur that isn't explained, doesn't make any sense, and (most importantly) just isn't funny. It needs some set-up to explain why he says "Maniacal Laugh" rather than maniacally laughing. As adults, we can piece it together that "Oh yeah, that's supposed to be making fun of villains who laugh maniacally." But, again, it isn't funny the way it plays now. It's something that sounds more amusing in concept than it turns out to be in execution, and kids in the audience will not get the joke at all.
It just feels like what it is, remnants of an abandoned subplot that somehow made the final cut.
Old 03-16-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The one song I didn't like at all was the disco duet with Amy Adams and Miss Piggy.
Honestly, there were a lot of songs I didn't like in the movie. What was that endless one Amy Adams sang in the diner? The only really great new song was "Man or Muppet." Everything else was either forgettable or pretty bad. And I'm a fan of the Conchords.

With all that said, I did actually like the movie. I feel that I should make that clear.
Old 03-16-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What was that endless one Amy Adams sang in the diner?
That was the crappy disco duet with Amy Adams and Miss Piggy.

With all that said, I did actually like the movie. I feel that I should make that clear.
Likewise. The movie did leave me smiling and a tad misty eyed (due to nostalgia) at the end. So I definitely liked it.
Old 03-16-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 351 Likes on 261 Posts

Honestly, there were a lot of songs I didn't like in the movie. What was that endless one Amy Adams sang in the diner? The only really great new song was "Man or Muppet." Everything else was either forgettable or pretty bad. And I'm a fan of the Conchords.
Kermit's "Pictures in My Head" was almost as good as "Man or Muppet"
Old 03-17-12, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to disagree here. The finale/reprise version of Life's a Happy Song (and all but the Amy Adams part of the first version) is such a great song. It such a catchy fun upbeat song.
Old 03-18-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, the "maniacal laugh" bit was my biggest gripe about the film. Like Josh said, as an adult it's easy to figure out the "joke" it was just not funny and wildly out of place without a setup.

I had no idea the setup was part of deleted scene material. Sounds like a director's cut should have been put together for the DVD release.
You're not the first person I've heard say this. I thought it was funny without the setup. Why? Because it's making fun of something you see in every movie. The villain always says something and then laughs "maniacally". So having the character just say "maniacal laugh" instead of actually laughing is what was so funny about the scene. The deleted setup just makes it funny in a different way.
Old 03-18-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
You're not the first person I've heard say this. I thought it was funny without the setup. Why? Because it's making fun of something you see in every movie. The villain always says something and then laughs "maniacally". So having the character just say "maniacal laugh" instead of actually laughing is what was so funny about the scene. The deleted setup just makes it funny in a different way.
I agree with you. I thought the "maniacal laugh" stuff was funny even without the setup I'm now reading about.
Old 03-19-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,093 Likes on 899 Posts

I was feeling guilty about pre-ordering this one till I remembered my kid's birthday is this weekend!
Old 03-19-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 629 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was feeling guilty about pre-ordering this one till I remembered my kid's birthday is this weekend!
Guilty about what?
Old 03-19-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,093 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Guilty about what?
Trying to cut down the spending, and I got the one with the soundtrack code
Old 03-21-12, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 797 Likes on 648 Posts

Is the Best Buy Lunchbox exclusive hard to find?

I don't want to pay $70 from some crook at Ebay.

Old 03-21-12, 07:30 AM

I had no luck finding any at my local Best Buy.
Old 03-21-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man or Muppet was made by the appearance of ...
Spoiler:
Sheldon Cooper... err... Jim Parsons
Old 03-21-12, 08:47 AM
Cool New Member

My Best Buy had 10 Wocca Wocca sets - needless to say at 1230 they were gone
Old 03-21-12, 08:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I really dug the fact that Disney put that menu at the very beginning when you first load it up that gives the option to play the previews, go straight to the menu, or play movie. They need to put this on every release from here on out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.