Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Currently I don't have a multi-region player. And for the couple of region free disc I did import, I still had issues playing many of the features.

Did the OUS Fright Night have the same extras as the US TT release? Those features were pretty awesome and IMO made the TT up-charge worth it in that one case.
That's because the extras on those where probably in PAL and if you don't have a region free player, even with the disc/movie being region free, the extras won't play correctly on regular region A players.

I know the original US release of Fright Night didn;t have the same extras.
I checked on the German version since I asked the same question for it and it appears to be free of any extras. Thus I am glad to have the newer Twilight Time edition since it has some excellent ones.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=19483
Old 12-17-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

It should have been part of the new line that includes Dracula and the The Fifth Element
Your two examples have sold well enough to have been released a million times each on various formats. Despite being originally released as a Superbit disc, Panic Room doesn't really belong in that same class.
Old 12-17-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Your two examples have sold well enough to have been released a million times each on various formats. Despite being originally released as a Superbit disc, Panic Room doesn't really belong in that same class.
And on the flip side, the titles that are part of that collection have put been re-released so many times, these new discs could sell very poorly as well. Especially at the ridiculous original price point. I know I will be passing on all but Dracula since that first BD release got messed up.
Old 12-18-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

And on the flip side, the titles that are part of that collection have put been re-released so many times, these new discs could sell very poorly as well. Especially at the ridiculous original price point. I know I will be passing on all but Dracula since that first BD release got messed up.
Tech nerds will always buy The Fifth Element.
Old 12-18-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Tech nerds will always buy The Fifth Element.
I consider myself part of that demo and will be skipping the new disc. The second corrected BD was good enough until real 4k comes out. And possibly not even then.
Old 12-18-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Received my copy of "Nineteen Eighty-Four". I'm impressed. Both soundtracks are included and an isolated score track that features both The Eurthymics and Dominic Muldowney's music. Even the trailer is different than the DVD. The picture looks like it did tone-wise theatrically and it looks beautiful. Sure, it could have been packed with features, but I'm glad they gave us what they did.
Old 12-18-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Received my copy of "Nineteen Eighty-Four".
What the shit! I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet!
Old 12-21-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
What the shit! I haven't even gotten a shipping notice yet!
I don't believe I ever got a shipping notice either but my copy showed up Saturday. If you check your account on their site there may be tracking info.
Old 01-21-16, 02:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

i have a sealed copy of Harlock Space Pirate 3D if anyone wants to trade. looking for other 3D Blus...
Old 01-21-16, 03:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i have a sealed copy of Harlock Space Pirate 3D if anyone wants to trade. looking for other 3D Blus...
I've got a few 3D doubles Scott. I'll PM you a list when I get home.
Old 01-21-16, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've got a few 3D doubles Scott. I'll PM you a list when I get home.
sure, no problem.
Old 03-08-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Worth noting that Screen Archives put an announcement on their site March 1st about a "special sale to be announced soon". I'm hopeful it's their usual Twilight Time sale as they're about due for one this time of year. Also worth noting that some titles available in previous sales don't get marked down again in subsequent sales.
Old 03-08-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Free promo this Wed, March 9th is Broken Lance signed by Earl Holliman, $119.80 minimum, so 4 $29.95 titles for the freebie.

Looks like SAE is rerelease some more titles on the Encore Edition now.
The Big Heat,THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT and ROLLERBALL.

I have not bought A SAE movie in quite awhile.I have A bunch I still need to watch,can not afford right now and a lot of these movies I have no interest in owning.
The limited to 3K got me to buy quite A few of their movies.
But SAE has rerelease about 20 titles now?And A few went to different studios after their 3 year gig was up.
Old 03-08-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 986 Likes on 695 Posts

SAE is just a website that sells stuff. Twilight Time is the label that releases these movies. And they have only re-released a handful of titles. They are:

Fright Night
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Mysterious Island
The Big Heat

There are four more coming up:

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Rollerball
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
1 other MGM title that I am either blanking on or hasn't been mentioned.

Twilight Time has also said that these will be the last double dips that they will be releasing.
Old 03-08-16, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sure. Until the next double dip they know they can make money on.
Old 03-08-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Sure. Until the next double dip they know they can make money on.
Still, Twilight Time hasn't double-dipped on nearly as many titles as was suggested above and frankly -- with the exception of Fright Night -- calling them "double-dips" seems a little unfair since there's nothing different about them and they're not targeted at people who ponied up the first time around, only those who missed the opportunity. I always thought a double dip was something more along the lines of Anchor Bay's constant new and improved editions of key titles like Evil Dead back in the day, where you pretty much had to get each new version because they magically found new audio tracks or commentaries or supplements or what have you. These TT "double dips" only seem to piss off scalpers who hoarded discs and/or people who enjoyed short-lived bragging rights by nabbing titles that sold out instantly. Otherwise, they seem like nothing more than convenient, unaltered -- but still limited -- reissues for people who missed out the first time (which suggests there's probably just enough demand to press a second batch and then let it run its course).

Also, isn't Christine the only TT release where the original studio reissued the title itself because they realized what an insane demand there was for it? Of the eight-ish listed in Rocket's post, again with the possible exception of Fright Night, I doubt their original owners will ever feel compelled to re-release them at this late date. As for the rest of TT's catalog, it takes TT long enough to blow through 3000 copies that I'm reasonably confident they'll never be reissued, at least by their original owners, at budget prices. If by chance they were deemed worthy of squeezing out a few more bucks, it'd probably just be on TT's label again at the same price point, i.e. harmless reissues, but again most of their stuff sells so slowly that that seems unlikely. If this upcoming SAE sale is indeed for TT discs, I'm in for a few.

"JoeySeven" mentions some titles went to different studios after their TT windows expired -- which is a logical option, after all -- but I'm not sure which titles he was referring to in this case. Anyone know? Frankly I'd have no problem with that, especially if they got picked up by Kino, which prices their catalogue a little more reasonably and did have some excellent sales last year (mostly via Amazon).

Last edited by Brian T; 03-08-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are some titles that go for silly sums on the aftermarket that I wish Twilight Time would double-dip on .
Old 03-08-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
There are some titles that go for silly sums on the aftermarket that I wish Twilight Time would double-dip on .
Like what? Most of the really popular ones have been re-released domestically or at the very least in region B. The Sinbad titles are the only ones I see going for outrageous prices. And maybe NotLD, but I thought everyone hated that disc anyway.
Old 03-08-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Like what? Most of the really popular ones have been re-released domestically or at the very least in region B. The Sinbad titles are the only ones I see going for outrageous prices. And maybe NotLD, but I thought everyone hated that disc anyway.
I desperately want The Egyptian released again. It was one of their first Blu-ray releases and sold out before I even became aware of the movie's existence.
Old 03-08-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Twilight Time has also said that these will be the last double dips that they will be releasing.
I did not know this,but I have not really been following what is going on with TT.
I know they have their own website now for sales.www.twilighttimemovies.com

But Screen Archives Entertainment still does the once a month sign promo and the sales.

I believe Christine is the only release that went back to Sony.
And I think it was Fright Night that started getting bought up by scalpers and
made TT releases sell faster and more wanted by movie watchers.

The only release I wished I bought was A sign copy of Breaking Away.
I have lots of OOP titles from TT,I should make a post and see if I can trade for A copy.

Here is A list of TT movies releases in other countries.

Some are not region free.

As Good as It Gets - DE/IT/ES/JP/RU/NO/NL/SE/DK/FI/MX/KO/CZ/GR
Bell, Book, and Candle - ES
The Big Heat - FR/IT/ES
The Blue Lagoon - DE/ES/JP/NO/SE/FI/NL/BR
The Blue Max - DE/FR/JP
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - FR/IT/ES
Désirée - IT
The Driver - JP
Drums Along the Mohawk - ES/DK/SE/NO/FI
The Egyptian - ES/FR/DK/SE/NO/FI/BR
Fever Pitch - UK
The Fury - UK/FR
Journey to the Center of the Earth - UK/AU
Leave Her to Heaven - ES
The Mechanic (1972) - DE
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation - DE
Oliver! - IT/UK/ES/JP/DE/AU/SE/DK/NO/FI
Philadelphia - IT/UK/ES/DE/JP/AU/FI/NO/SE/DK/MX
The Rains of Ranchipur - DE
The Roots of Heaven - FR
Royal Flash - UK
Sexy Beast - UK/DE
Sleepless in Seattle - IT/JP/ES/DE/AU/MX/NO/SE/FI/DK/NL
Steel Magnolias - NO/SE/FI/DK
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot - UK
The Way We Were - DE/IT/ES/JP/RU/DE/NO/SE/FI/DK/BR
Wild at Heart - UK/IT/DE/FR/ES/JP/AU/BR/SE/FI/NO/DK/PL
Zulu - UK
Old 03-08-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

You have to be careful and check reviews, some of the foreign editions are vastly inferior to the Twilight Time version.
Old 03-09-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I normally dislike TT, I might go for a re-release of Rollerball. Unlike many of their other titles, it actually seems like a Special Edition and worthy of their inflated pricing.
Old 03-09-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I desperately want The Egyptian released again. It was one of their first Blu-ray releases and sold out before I even became aware of the movie's existence.
That's a bummer. If I recall correctly, it was their FIRST blu-ray and it took a few years before it sold out. I can't imagine TT (or anyone else for that matter) would be itching to do a re-release on that one. Hopefully Fox will release that newer restoration in the UK some day.
Old 03-09-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
with the exception of Fright Night -- calling them "double-dips" seems a little unfair since there's nothing different about them and they're not targeted at people who ponied up the first time around, only those who missed the opportunity.
Most of the Twilight Time reissues include new supplements not on the first copies. I believe Journey to the Center of the Earth also has a new video transfer.
Old 03-09-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Most of the Twilight Time reissues include new supplements not on the first copies. I believe Journey to the Center of the Earth also has a new video transfer.
The first 4 reissues (Fright Night, Mysterious Island, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Big Heat) all have something new added, whether it's a new transfer, new audio tracks or new extras. I THINK the four upcoming MGM/UA reissues (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Rollerball, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Train (which was the fourth one I had forgot about)) are going to be straight up reprints and were mandated by the studio.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.