Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: The Official Twilight Time Blu-ray Thread

Sad news if true but not that unexpected. As the market for expensively priced physical media dwindles and more labels encroach on a space that Twilight Time almost had to itself years ago, obscure and niche catalog properties that no one else was doing, I figured they would need to overhaul their entire pricing model. Their past approach likely won't cut it today when labels like Kino Lorber are pumping out catalog properties for a fraction of the cost.

I direly wish they'd reissue The Egyptian. That still trades for obscene money.
Old 05-10-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

This doesn’t come as any great surprise at this point, but it’s still sad to see that Twilight Time is officially over.
Old 05-10-20, 06:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

that sucks. i have so many cheesy and little seen not really classics. only 11, but some great ones, like Sexy Beast, Remo Williams, The Believers, more. I'll cherish those...

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-10-20 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 06:50 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
that sucks. i have so many cheesy and little seen not really classics, but also Leone classics. not many extras on some, but solid a/v. movies you wouldn't ever expect. too bad. i have at least 70 that i labeled from them. damn...
I think you're talking about Kino. That's not who is going out of business.
Old 05-10-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got their email about this. I was surprised, but see up thread this was being discussed since November.
Old 05-10-20, 07:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I think you're talking about Kino. That's not who is going out of business.
yes, i've since corrected...
Old 05-10-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I received an email about Twilight Time's demise. As stated, it's not unexpected but disappointing news. I think many have had a love/hate relationship with the label over the years. Their ridiculously high prices in the early days, their limited status (I know not their fault) that made purchasing a tricky game. They finally relaxed and started having better sales, which meant I missed out on some I wanted, but I also had some good blind buys.

I'd be less disappointed if I thought there was someone else who would be releasing some of these titles here, but I'm sure that's not the case. Some of the overseas labels are going to become more important for some of these more fringe titles.
Old 05-10-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

And I'm already debating how long to wait before I start purchasing some titles I'm interested in.
Old 05-10-20, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Damn. One my few remaining hopes for some BR titles that haven't been, and probably won't be, released by anyone else.

Old 05-10-20, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Shipping is a killer. Still I got Melvin and Howard, and three Woody Allen titles (Bananas, Alice, Zelig). Wish I could have gotten a copy of Absolute Beginners before they ran out.
Old 05-10-20, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Sad to see them go

Went ahead and ordered Snake In The Eagle's Shadow/Drunken Master & Birth of a Nation.
Old 05-11-20, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Adam, you stole my thunder haha. I just received the email from them today and was going to post the email they sent (same press release as above). Redman was sometimes difficult to work with and we actually haven't received screeners from them in sometime, but it's sad to see them go all the same.
Old 05-11-20, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
we actually haven't received screeners from them in sometime
I think their last release was back in September.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-11-20)
Old 05-11-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Put in a second order over at SAE for the titles that I initially missed out on like Rollerball, Rapid Fire & Strange Invaders.
Old 12-16-20, 09:48 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Twilight Time is back with two new titles for pre-order! THE MAN FROM HONG KONG (AKA THE DRAGON FLIES / 1975) and VENOM (AKA THE LEGEND OF SPIDER FOREST / 1971).

The estimated street date is Monday, January 18th.

https://www1.screenarchives.com/titl...ON-FLIES-1975/

https://www1.screenarchives.com/titl...R-FOREST-1971/
Screen Archives Entertainment is very grateful to Twilight Time co-founders Brian Jamieson and the late Nick Redman for allowing us to continue the Twilight Time brand with these two new selections. Mike Finnegan and others who help Brian and Nick produce the Twilight Time blu-rays were a first-rate team. We have been fortunate to secure Mike's services to ensure we match the earlier titles quality. We have changed the final package only slightly, as many of you will recognize the outstanding graphics of designer Jim Titus. We have additional titles in various stages of production now, and hope to accelerate our release schedule in the future. Even though we started with the last release under Brian and Nick, the lead time for the production of each blu-ray is several months, made even slower under COVID. There are many complexities involved in acquiring the materials, licensing, checks, double-checks, and rechecks regarding quality before authoring and compression. And captioning. Finally, we had to find a provider to press the discs and print in the quantity that we are licensed to produce. Many of you have suggested titles, so feel free to send any suggestions, ideas, or comments to info@screenarchives. We won't respond to every message, but it will be useful to hear from you.

Last edited by dex14; 12-16-20 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (12-16-20)
Old 12-16-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Just got their email about this. Great news. Interesting choice of titles compared to the previous studio titles (perhaps they no longer have access at the moment?). MAN FROM HONG KONG is a lot of fun, and they've ported over some solid extras. The commentary is excellent and the interviews ran 82 minutes on the Australian release (not sure about here). The Umbrella disc also included a bunch of other stuff plus five complete SD Brian Trenchard-Smith movies (two with commentaries!), but I'd imagine Twilight Time prefers to maximize the picture quality of the main feature rather than stuff the disc with so much content.
Old 12-16-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Great news. Interesting choice of titles compared to the previous studio titles (perhaps they no longer have access at the moment?).
Per the announcement: "Even though we started with the last release under Brian and Nick." Sounds like these two titles were already in the pipeline when Twilight Time went under. I imagine that the licensing contract for them was about to expire and Screen Archives decided to capitalize on their acquisition of the TT brand before that happened.

Other contracts may have already expired, or defaulted when Twilight Time announced its closure.
Old 12-22-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only own The Man From Hong Kong on DVD, the aforementioned Umbrella R4 release. Thinking about picking up this release.