Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
That is indeed correct, once again the z guy doesnt have all of his facts in a row lol
Once again, AmityBoatTours speaks without knowing what he's talking about.

Nothing that has been written in this thread contradicts what I also posted. "Visual effects" are effects that are added on top of the photographed image. In Star Trek, these would include phaser blasts, transporter beams, bluescreen/greenscreen backgrounds, rotoscoping, or anything that required either an optical or CG element. All of these were rendered at standard-def resolution on video. And the show was edited entirely in the video realm.

Practical effects such as models and miniatures, or anything done in-camera like explosions or blood-squibs, fall under the category of "special effects." Yes, there is a distinction. These may have been shot and possibly composited on film, but just like the rest of the live action footage, they currently exist only as isolated unedited shots.

As I said earlier, the studio has to re-do all of the show's editing and post-production from scratch. This is a more complicated process than what was done for Star Trek TOS, which had originally been edited on film.
Old 08-04-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Once again, AmityBoatTours speaks without knowing what he's talking about.

Nothing that has been written in this thread contradicts what I also posted. "Visual effects" are effects that are added on top of the photographed image. In Star Trek, these would include phaser blasts, transporter beams, bluescreen/greenscreen backgrounds, rotoscoping, or anything that required either an optical or CG element. All of these were rendered at standard-def resolution on video. And the show was edited entirely in the video realm.

Practical effects such as models and miniatures, or anything done in-camera like explosions or blood-squibs, fall under the category of "special effects." Yes, there is a distinction. These may have been shot and possibly composited on film, but just like the rest of the live action footage, they currently exist only as isolated unedited shots.

As I said earlier, the studio has to re-do all of the show's editing and post-production from scratch. This is a more complicated process than what was done for Star Trek TOS, which had originally been edited on film.
And exactly the reason that we'll never get Babylon 5 in HD. JMS knew HD was coming, he shot on film protected for 16:9 framing, but FX were done in video. With the the digital special effects files, they could re-create the FX and FX-laden scenes without TOO much expense, so they always figured they could re-edit those scenes and re-do the FX in higher resolution later if needed. Except in B5's case, WB is incompetent and all of the digital FX files were lost. Creating from scratch would be way more expensive.

It sounds like, at least, for ST:TNG that they have the required materials to re-create the FX and thus re-edit any FX laden scenes. Be glad for their competence in not losing that stuff over the years. TNG is popular...but doing everything over completely from scratch? Expensive.
Old 08-04-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,895 Posts

It will be a snowing in hell before Warners ponies up any money for remastering Babylon 5.

I still contend that it was a mistake to release the show on DVD in widescreen. The compromise of zooming in any scenes that involve CGI or optical effects looks fucking awful on my big screen HD set. The show is constantly switching between (mediocre) DVD quality and something that looks worse than a zoomed SD image from DirecTV. It's not just the CGI shots, but any shot involving that has an optical effect integrated into it like a PPG firing or a simple dissolve.
Old 08-04-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It will be a snowing in hell before Warners ponies up any money for remastering Babylon 5.

I still contend that it was a mistake to release the show on DVD in widescreen. The compromise of zooming in any scenes that involve CGI or optical effects looks fucking awful on my big screen HD set. The show is constantly switching between (mediocre) DVD quality and something that looks worse than a zoomed SD image from DirecTV. It's not just the CGI shots, but any shot involving that has an optical effect integrated into it like a PPG firing or a simple dissolve.
In the later seasons of Babylon 5, there were damn few scenes that didn't have some CG element in them. A significant portion of the space station interiors were greenscreen.
Old 08-04-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Would this not be why HD remasters of DS9 and Voyager would also be financially impractical?
Old 08-05-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,413 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Would this not be why HD remasters of DS9 and Voyager would also be financially impractical?
Despite Babylon 5's strong following (I really need to watch this show someday), it still doesn't hold a candle to anything bearing the Star Trek moniker. The promise of the ability to syndicate HD masters of DS9 and VOY is enough to make it worth their while to redo for high definition.

Something that just occurred to me, when they're doing stuff like the TOS and TNG redux's for high definition, are they just going to 1080, or are they actually thinking ahead and going up a step or two so they don't have the same problem in another 10 years?
Old 08-05-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Seriously. When I end up rewatching it I might choose Netflix over the DVDs. At least it's in 4:3 on Netflix...
Old 08-05-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Since we're now talking about Babylon 5, any idea if Scifi's Dune can be on blu-ray?
Old 08-05-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Something that just occurred to me, when they're doing stuff like the TOS and TNG redux's for high definition, are they just going to 1080, or are they actually thinking ahead and going up a step or two so they don't have the same problem in another 10 years?
The vast majority of high-def transfers are mastered at 2k resolution. 4k or higher scans are a rarity, usually reserved for important titles in need of restoration.

While you could argue that Star Trek qualifies as an important title in need of restoration, I think the sheer volume of work needed here would make 4k or higher financially impractical. I'm pretty sure the work is being done at 2k.

For what it's worth, the majority of modern theatrical releases are also locked to 2k at the Digital Intermediate stage. The assumption that everything is going to move to 4k in a couple of years is, I believe, wishful thinking and unlikely.
Old 08-05-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

This is really cool news. I'd go back and re-watch the series in HD.
Old 08-06-11, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as these aren't priced outrageously, I will buy all of the seasons. TNG is still my favorite era of Star Trek television.
Old 08-08-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wanna feel old?

It was 18 years between the end of TOS and the start of TNG. Next year will be 18 years since TNG ended.

Last edited by Shazam; 08-08-11 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-08-11, 01:31 PM
Ven

Originally Posted by Shazam
Wanna feel old?

It was 18 years between the end of TOS and the start of TNG. Next year will be 18 years since TNG ended.
That's not making my day.
Old 08-08-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
As long as these aren't priced outrageously, I will buy all of the seasons. TNG is still my favorite era of Star Trek television.
The DVD sets started out well into the $100s, I can't imagine what a set of Blus would be.
Old 08-08-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The DVD sets started out well into the $100s, I can't imagine what a set of Blus would be.
It may be reasonable since TOS sets sell for less than $100. Still with the production costs, they could really stick it to ST fans. Would people pay $200 a season?
Old 08-08-11, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
It may be reasonable since TOS sets sell for less than $100. Still with the production costs, they could really stick it to ST fans. Would people pay $200 a season?
I wouldn't -- and I'm a *big* ST:TNG fan that can no longer stand to view the current DVDs on my projector.

I would go as high as $100 -- except for Season 2. The combination of only 22 eps with one of them being "Shades of Gray" means I'll only pay $79.95 tops for that set.
Old 08-08-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
For what it's worth, the majority of modern theatrical releases are also locked to 2k at the Digital Intermediate stage. The assumption that everything is going to move to 4k in a couple of years is, I believe, wishful thinking and unlikely.
If more theaters outside of AMC, Regal and select others start converting all of their projectors to that of the 4K variety and films continue to be shot on 35mm/70mm film or cameras with higher of 4K resolution (like the RED)... then yes, a majority of films within the next few years will be locked in at 4K rather than the current 2K standard.

Television shows? Not a chance in hell. Same goes for 4K televisions.
Old 08-08-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,024 Likes on 845 Posts

Despite Babylon 5's strong following (I really need to watch this show someday), it still doesn't hold a candle to anything bearing the Star Trek moniker. The promise of the ability to syndicate HD masters of DS9 and VOY is enough to make it worth their while to redo for high definition.
You mean financially, I assume
Old 08-09-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
lol, don't start the Star Trek guys going.

I just was trying to explain the process of back-remastering older stuff that was edited on video.
Old 08-09-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know about DS9 or Voyager.

As much as I love DS9, it's Trek's red-headed stepchild and the hardcore Trekkies don't like it, so I doubt Paramount would want to sink a lot $$$ into it.

And I don't know if anyone still cares about Voyager.
Old 08-09-11, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If more theaters outside of AMC, Regal and select others start converting all of their projectors to that of the 4K variety and films continue to be shot on 35mm/70mm film or cameras with higher of 4K resolution (like the RED)... then yes, a majority of films within the next few years will be locked in at 4K rather than the current 2K standard.

Television shows? Not a chance in hell. Same goes for 4K televisions.
You do realize that the 4k projectors at amc and regal are not actually projecting movies in 4K yet right?
yes they are 4k projectors but there has not yet been a first run movie projected 4K in a commercial movie theatre for the general public beyond test screenings to get theatre chains to invest money in upgrading
There have been a few screenings for the public at places like the chinese, and a few other theatres of classic films presented in 4K (such as those shown at this past aprils 2nd annual TCM film festival) but beyond that no 1st run features.
Old 08-09-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,413 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Well, along with that the cultural awareness of the franchise. Even if they don't watch it, you can say "Star Trek" to the man on the street and they'll be like "that's the thing with Doctor Spock, right?"

Say "Babylon 5" and you might get pepper sprayed.
Old 08-09-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,024 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
lol, don't start the Star Trek guys going.

I just was trying to explain the process of back-remastering older stuff that was edited on video.
Well, along with that the cultural awareness of the franchise. Even if they don't watch it, you can say "Star Trek" to the man on the street and they'll be like "that's the thing with Doctor Spock, right?"

Say "Babylon 5" and you might get pepper sprayed.
Just for the record, I've seen most of the Trek series but, like milo bloom, still have B5 on my to-watch list. I tried to make it the centerpiece of my sci-fi challenge this year but had to abort for various reasons.
Old 08-09-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, along with that the cultural awareness of the franchise. Even if they don't watch it, you can say "Star Trek" to the man on the street and they'll be like "that's the thing with Darth Vader, right?"
fixed
Old 08-09-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

still have B5 on my to-watch list. I tried to make it the centerpiece of my sci-fi challenge this year but had to abort for various reasons.
Because it sucks so badly?
Sorry, I had to take the cheap shot. I tried B5, but couldn't get into it. The changing of the captains (thus effecting the intended series-long plot) didn't help, either. I can't really say the show sucked, but it wasn't nearly as good as any of the Trek series IMO, and I truly hated DS9 (until the Cardassian War began in the later years). Avery Brooks has got to be one of the worst actors ever cast in a major Star Trek role. But I digress...

I would love to buy TNG in HD, if the price is right. I look forward to the sampler. I would also buy Voyager in HD, IF it ever happened, which I highly doubt. I thought it was a great show. Sure, it had some stinker eps, which can be said for pretty much all of the Trek series (TNG season 1/2 has several!) but overall I thought it had a solid cast, entertaining stories, and probably the best ending of any Trek series (I was just so happy they made it home!) I thought the overall concept for Voyager was one of the better plots as well. DS9's overall plotted started out as "guarding a wormhole." Oooh, exciting (not really)!

Anyway, I know there are many that will disagree with some of my opinions. But I do agree with what others have stated. TNG likely has the audience to justify the expense of re-mastering in HD. I doubt Voyager, DS9, or even Babylon 5 will ever be seen in HD. Enterprise, maybe, just cuz the expense would be much lower for that series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.