Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek TNG remastered on its way for 2012

Lots of hate for Enterprise, but the show genuinely had some great episodes in its' second half (Season 3 & 4). Unfortunately by then, all but the hardcore Trekkers had given up on it. A shame because the ideas for Season 5 really interesting including an arc featuring Alice Krige as a Starfleet Officer who had been assimilated in 'Regeneration' and how she became Borg Queen and the beginnings of The Federation.

I'd buy it for the right price!
Old 10-08-12, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I enjoyed Enterprise during its initial broadcast as well as a second time through on DVD. I picked up the UK R2 PAL version a few years ago because as a result of the price differences between it and the R1 version. My only complaint was the last episode where they tried to tie in with TNG. For a series finale it is like a slap to the face of the Enterprise cast. Luckily, the 2nd to last episode serves just as well for a series finale, so for me the very last episode no longer exists.
Old 11-01-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,630 Posts

More information about season 2. Coming December 4th. Hopefully it will be on sale for around $60 like season 1.

Disc One:
Episodes
The Child
Where Silence Has Lease
Elementary, Dear Data
The Outrageous Okona
Loud as a Whisper
Special Features
Episode Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
Promo #5
1988 On-Air Season Two Promo
Energized! Season Two Tech Update
1988 Reading Rainbow segment with LeVar Burton
2012 Reading Rainbow iTunes Promo
Archival Mission Log: Department Briefing Year 2 - Production

Disc Two:
Episodes
The Schizoid Man
Unnatural Selection
A Matter of Honor
The Measure of a Man
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
The Measure of a Man (HD Extended Version)
Audio Commentary with Melinda Snodgrass and Mike & Denise Okuda
The Measure of a Man (Hybrid Extended Version)

Disc Three:
Episodes
The Dauphin
Contagion
The Royale
Time Squared
The Icarus Factor
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
Promo #5
Gag Reel
Archival Mission Log: Inside Starfleet Archives: Penny Juday, Star Trek Coordinator
Archival Mission Log: Selected Crew Analysis Year Two

Disc Four:
Episodes
Pen Pals
Q Who?
Samaritan Snare
Up The Long Ladder
Manhunt
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Promo #4
Promo #5
Archival Mission Log: Departmental Analysis Year 2: Memorable Missions

Disc Five:
Episodes
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Shades of Gray
Special Features
Episodic Promos
Promo #1
Promo #2
Promo #3
Reunification: 25 Years After Star Trek: The Next Generation
Making It So: Continuing Star Trek: The Next Generation
Part 1: Strange New Worlds
Part 2: New Life and New Civilizations
Archival Mission Log: Mission Overview Year Two

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...#ixzz2B0NsCR4D
Old 12-03-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for release day tomorrow!

Review is live at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57992...on-season-two/.
Old 12-04-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

And of course it seems like this one is stumbling out of the gate. Amazon not in stock, Best Buy has no stores with it available for pickup, and my preorder has yet to ship. Pretty disappointing - was really looking forward to digging into this today.
Old 12-04-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 450 Likes on 309 Posts

My Best Buy had a few copies when they opened this morning... I grabbed mine but I doubt any are left at this point.
Old 12-04-12, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Picked it up from DVDEmpire for $64 shipped.
Old 12-04-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meathead
My Best Buy had a few copies when they opened this morning... I grabbed mine but I doubt any are left at this point.
My Best Buy's were showing unavailable before the opening time today so I assume that means they had few if any. I don't know what their threshold is for marking something Unavailable but that seems to be the case for every store around here. My pre-order is marked "Being Prepared" so hopefully they actually have some at their online fulfillment center.
Old 12-04-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

A customer over on Amazon posted that another company than CBS Digital handled the upgrades this time around, and the quality as suffered. Can anyone confirm/deny this? There are a few reviews online, but none of them seem to indicate that the episodes are anything but good-to-great looking.
Old 12-04-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
A customer over on Amazon posted that another company than CBS Digital handled the upgrades this time around, and the quality as suffered. Can anyone confirm/deny this? There are a few reviews online, but none of them seem to indicate that the episodes are anything but good-to-great looking.
It's true that another company (HTV-Illuminate) handled digital post. It looks like they'll be alternating seasons with CBS Digital. Consensus is that they didn't do their job as well as CBS digital did theirs. Looks like people are picking up on lots of issues. Check AVS.

Last edited by Arthur Dent; 12-04-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
A customer over on Amazon posted that another company than CBS Digital handled the upgrades this time around, and the quality as suffered. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
I'm not sure I follow. Wasn't CBS Digital involved in the last season, and with the original series HD upgrade as well?

Here's a 5-part interview with CBS Digital. They were clearly involved in the first season:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbsdi...nterview1.html

2-part interview with restoration consultants Mike & Denise Okuda:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/24110...rviews2p1.html

Video piece on CBS Digital:
http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxg...star-trek-tng/

Here's an article on their work on the original series:
http://trekmovie.com/2006/11/20/behi...t-cbs-digital/

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-04-12 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen and commented in several of those threads about HTV's effects work...but I didn't think it warranted a major complaint in the video department, just a mention. Most of the "problems" appear to stem from the overall quality of their effects work, not necessarily the transfer of these effects to Blu-Ray. It's a consistency issue, mostly: some effects looks great, others are less impressive. In my opinion, CBS set the bar very high during Season One; in a perfect world, they'd have handled every season with the same level of detail. Season Two was reportedly more of a rush job than the first, due to Paramount's insistence that all seven seasons be released by the end of 2014.

So...it's kind of a source material issue, with one possible exception: the slightly waxy appearance of DNR that affects the overall image during certain effects shots. In motion it's not terribly noticeable unless you're looking for it, and overall not nearly as flagrant or frequent as Season One's (quickly corrected) audio issues. Of course, there's more than one school of thought on this, and I'm sure the extreme videophiles will get more worked up over the "less-than-perfect" results. Does it warrant a do-over or recall, like Season One? Probably not. In the end, the total package still looks fantastic, even if there's some room for improvement.

Also, I believe TrekCore reported that HTV will not be working on future seasons.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 12-04-12 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
It's true that another company (HTV-Illuminate) handled digital post. It looks like they'll be alternating seasons with CBS Digital. Consensus is that they didn't do their job as well as CBS digital did theirs. Looks like people are picking up on lots of issues. Check AVS.
OK, so it's just the redone effects. Here's an article about it:
http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sci...ects-work.html

Edit: Nope, All of Season 2 was handled by HTV-Illuminate, even apparently tracking down and scanning the film.

TrekCore: How does Season 2 stand up so far, have you managed to track everything down?

Craig Weiss: Season 2 – actually – because they truncated the delivery schedule, Season 2 was handled by another vendor. Basically, Season 2 was handled outside.

TrekCore: I see – so the film itself was handled outside?

Craig Weiss: Yes. For that season, that was done… and the visual effects were handled by Dan Curry and the original group on that one. We were so busy with everything else, that due to the schedule we weren’t going to be able to do both seasons at the same time.
For Season 3, CBS Digital is handling everything. Season 4, CBS Digital is handling the conform, while another house is doing the SFX:
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/29112012_fxguide.html

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-04-12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Thanks for the updates, guys...I guess as long as the remainder of the seasons are being handled by CBS, I can live with some shoddy/questionable effects shots for Season 2. Thank god they didn't get Season 3, because I'd hate to see "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I" at anything less than CBS's "best effort."
Old 12-04-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,630 Posts

Went ahead and picked this up today at Best Buy for $64.99. They only had 3 copies left.

Due to the price, I don't forsee this being a huge seller. But hopefully that doesn't deter Paramount from releasing the last 5 seasons. One of the things I'm curious about is if they will continue to come up with fresh new interviews/featurettes for the remaining seasons. I mean there is only so much the actors and creators of the show can say. Unless, they create featurettes more specific to each season and it's episodes.
Old 12-04-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
But hopefully that doesn't deter Paramount from releasing the last 5 seasons.
Not that they couldn't back out, but there is an ad on the first disc for Season Three (including artwork).
Old 12-04-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not that they couldn't back out, but there is an ad on the first disc for Season Three (including artwork).
I think they've fast-tracked all the seasons into production. So it seem highly unlikely they'd back out, and since they contracted with several outside production houses, it's possible that they can't back out of several of the seasons.
Old 12-04-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Went ahead and picked this up today at Best Buy for $64.99. They only had 3 copies left.

Due to the price, I don't forsee this being a huge seller. But hopefully that doesn't deter Paramount from releasing the last 5 seasons. One of the things I'm curious about is if they will continue to come up with fresh new interviews/featurettes for the remaining seasons. I mean there is only so much the actors and creators of the show can say. Unless, they create featurettes more specific to each season and it's episodes.
The price isn't that terrible if you ask me. Plus it's TNG so I'm sure it'll sell fine or at least enough to meet CBS/Paramount's expectations. It's not like it's DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise which aren't as popular so I don't think we have to worry about the other seasons not being released. It might not sell huge numbers to the mainstream crowd but I'm sure the hardcore Trekkies will still pick it up. As far as new extras go, it'd be nice if we could get some more commentaries. Really just having the show remastered is good enough for me though.
Old 12-04-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Meathead
I went to Best Buy on my lunch break at 2, and they had 4 copies (before I bought mine).
Old 12-05-12, 09:20 PM
Ven

3 copies in my BB.
Old 12-05-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just taking a poll.....do most of the buyers here already have the SD versions and are upgrading? Do you feel it's worth the high price for it?
Old 12-05-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess high price is a perspective. I paid about $80 a set for the original big box sets 10 years ago. $65 a set 10 years later so I can enjoy them on my large screen TV is worth it to me.
Old 12-05-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Just taking a poll.....do most of the buyers here already have the SD versions and are upgrading? Do you feel it's worth the high price for it?
I'm getting the blu-ray releases and never bought the standard definition versions of these.

The price is kind of high, but I figure that ~$65 for ~26 episodes, which works out to about $2.50 an ep, isn't too bad of deal, and CBS/Paramount is putting a lot effort into these releases. It's actually pretty impressive that they're going back and re-editing the original film footage into HD releases, so I don't have a problem supporting them.
Old 12-06-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
I never bought the DVDs but have seen certain episodes from season one on both Blu-ray and DVD. The Blu-ray version looks absolutely amazing to me. The remastered effects shots look great and I'd say the season one set was one of my overall favorite releases of the year.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm getting the blu-ray releases and never bought the standard definition versions of these.

The price is kind of high, but I figure that ~$65 for ~26 episodes, which works out to about $2.50 an ep, isn't too bad of deal, and CBS/Paramount is putting a lot effort into these releases. It's actually pretty impressive that they're going back and re-editing the original film footage into HD releases, so I don't have a problem supporting them.
I don't get why people are saying this. Considering the DVD sets came out at like $100 or more a piece and the individual sets are still going for around $50 a piece all these years later on Amazon and in other stores I've seen them when mostly every other show gets rock bottom discounts after being out. The Blu-ray sets are really pretty reasonable by Star Trek standards if you ask me.
Old 12-06-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't get why people are saying this. Considering the DVD sets came out at like $100 or more a piece and the individual sets are still going for around $50 a piece all these years later on Amazon and in other stores I've seen them when mostly every other show gets rock bottom discounts after being out. The Blu-ray sets are really pretty reasonable by Star Trek standards if you ask me.
I think it's just that comparatively, many shows can be had dirt cheap. I agree shows like ST command a premium.

I just think back to the days where getting X-Files or ST seasons for $99 on release day was a deal. And that was 10 years ago or more. I think we're doing OK on price, as long as the quality is there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.