Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warren Beatty confirms Dick Tracy on Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 06-10-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From AICN:
This year’s Hero Complex kicked off with Warren Beatty showing a really nice HD transfer of Dick Tracy. I was a little disappointed not to get a 35mm screening, but I have to say the digital print was pretty gorgeous, although a lot of credit for that could go to the production design and cinematography....Beatty came out after and ended up doing an hour and a half Q&A… sometimes responding only “I’m not going to answer that,” but I got the sense that he wanted to give everybody in the theater a chance to ask a question, despite his people trying to wrap things up for the last half hour or so....A Blu-Ray for Dick Tracy is in the works. “I don’t want to get out ahead of whatever they want to do,” so no more details.
And from Blu-ray.com:
Originally Posted by Cliff
Alright, I was there last night so I can confirm that Beatty talked about this. Beatty said there is no longer unrated cut and he doesn't understand where these internet (which he doesn't seem to trust) rumors came from. He screened the movie with Katzenberg (who he said was a great champion of this film at the time) at 4:30am one day and Katzenberg only had one potential change. After debating the change with Beatty briefly, Katzenberg said, "You're probably right. Leave it the way it is." However, Beatty did say he recently decided that Katzenberg was actually right all along (to his own and much audience laughter). He did also state very clearly that he's always had final cut and so the movie that was released was his final cut. So rumors of an extended or unrated cut are just that... rumors.

I will also say that I was surprised to see the film digitally projected and I would have to imagine that what we were shown was what will eventually make it to Blu-ray. Initially I was disappointed that we weren't seeing the film in 35mm, but I have to say that this was amazing looking and because it was the digital projection we actually got the full 6-channel audio mix as well (which sounded incredible). This was probably a better overall presentation of the film than what most people saw back in 1990.

As a sidenote... there's a Rocketeer 20th anniversary screening on the 21st (which I'm also going to be attending) and it's going to be the first showing of the film digitally remastered and projected. So that bodes well for an upcoming Blu-ray release as well (hopefully before Christmas so they can actually take advantage of the anniversary this year).
Old 06-10-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Warren Beatty confirms Dick Tracy on Blu-ray

I'm waiting for Bugsy. The SE was rather disappointing
Old 06-11-11, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that's more of Beatty being forgetful because he told Harry Knowles there was a longer cut and I'm inclined to believe him over a rambling Beatty who still thinks Ishtar is fine as-is. I doubt he's seen the last 10 minutes of that film recently.
Old 06-11-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Funny he says this, years after there was a confirmation of an old VISTA series release of a loaded, extended cut of DICK TRACY cut on the way. Then there was the legal issue and Disney dumped the movie on a bare bones DVD.
Old 06-11-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The way Beatty said "I'm making another one." I wonder if he was joking (or looking for audience reaction) rather than really serious. I like DICK TRACY, but I've never really desired a sequel...I'd be surprised if there's really a lot of people out there pining for one as well.
Old 06-11-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Funny he says this, years after there was a confirmation of an old VISTA series release of a loaded, extended cut of DICK TRACY cut on the way. Then there was the legal issue and Disney dumped the movie on a bare bones DVD.

I don't think there was ever a confirmation, just a story posted from an anonymous source on AICN. The story was then re-reported around the net and has become fact. Looking back at that story, I think it's pretty obvious that it was a fake.

I found the AICN article a few months ago and posted this in another topic.

"I did some searching and found the story where the Vista Series dvd was first mentioned. AICN.com

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/10382

Wow, I'm not a grammar expert and make mistakes myself, but Jesus that was a horrible report. Something tells me that story was a joke."
Old 06-11-11, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca
I think that's more of Beatty being forgetful because he told Harry Knowles there was a longer cut and I'm inclined to believe him over a rambling Beatty who still thinks Ishtar is fine as-is. I doubt he's seen the last 10 minutes of that film recently.
No, he didn't tell Harry Knowles that. Read that story linked above me again. Beatty also told a story Thursday night (non-rambling) about screening the film for Katzenberg and Katzenberg only asking about one change (which Beatty shortly talked him out of). That also seems to fly in the face of the report that Katzenberg forced him to cut 30 minutes from the film (unless that was a 30 minute change).

Basically, this idea of a 135 minute cut with this bounty of bonus features has been a fan-concocted idea that people have, in the 10 years since, elevated to fact (apparently even after hearing Beatty refute it himself).

But regardless, even if such a cut did exist (and I'm certainly going to take Beatty's word over "Duck Twacy's"), it's clear we'll never see it or Beatty likely would have said as much.
Old 06-11-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

It has been years since I've seen this. Depending on price/if ever released probably will rent first to see if it's stood up over the years.
Old 06-11-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen this movie. Don't know if I want to see 80s Lady Gaga in a movie. Hmm...
Old 06-12-11, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've never seen this movie. Don't know if I want to see 80s Lady Gaga in a movie. Hmm...
Folks can say and think what they want, but I thought Madonna was perfectly cast as Breathless Mahoney. I'm not a fan of hers (though I've got nothing against her), but that was a thoroughly enjoyable performance.

I missed Dick Tracy on the big screen in 1990, but fell in love with it on VHS and finally got to see a 35mm print at a local theater in 2009--complete with "Roger Rabbit" short--and it was terrific. My only complaint was the soundtrack sounded limited and confined chiefly to the front. Now, the guy who runs these midnight screenings worships the film and I have no doubt he personally saw to it that every A/V setting was as it should have been and the theater is very much up to date so it's not like there was inferior equipment. I'm very interested to hear the new mix.

Regarding the long cut rumor, I'm glad to finally have that settled. I had never once heard or read about it until I encountered it online where it was discussed among the faithful like a UFO sighting. I'd be happy to see anything not in the final cut, but I'm glad to know that no other cut has been waiting these 21 years to see the light of day.

As for the notion of a sequel, I think too many fans accustomed to release dates set before start dates have overreacted to his unhurried view of the license. If he gets to it, I'm game. If he doesn't, so be it.

What I really want for a Blu-ray release is a ton of bonus features. The film had three soundtrack albums! The music alone should justify a 15-30 minute feature. The Oscar-winning makeup, the costumes and production design are all worth discussing, and that's without even getting into a feature on the all-star cast, the story of the actual production or placing the film in the context of either its era or in the canon of Dick Tracy as a character. If this release only has a couple of fluff pieces I'll be sorely disappointed.
Old 06-12-11, 04:14 AM
Banned

I'd love Dick Tracy and Rocketeer to both come to blu-ray. Dick Tracy, in particular, would look amazing.
Old 06-12-11, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno about the Rocketeer for me. Hasn't aged well...

DT though...i'm game.
Old 06-12-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I hope you are the only one making that comparison. , At one time (certainly not now)...Madonna was a beautiful, provocative and talented singer. Lady Gaga is a drug accident waiting to happen. Anyway, back to the topic, Dick Tracy was an awesome movie and Madonna as others have said was well cast as Breathless Mahoney. This was in her prime and she looked amazing. A decent blu-ray can't come soon enough.
Old 06-12-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Agreed with MinLShaw on Madonna's casting and on the music. Not just "Madonna songs" but Broadway legend Stephen Sondheim composed three of them, including the Oscar-winning Sooner or Later, and he had a long relationship with Mandy Patinkin, who played 88 Keys and sang with Madonna in a duet.
Old 06-12-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A bit off topic...

I'll always have a love/hate relationship with this movie because I like the movie but when I was really young I had a chance to buy the action figure of The Blank and passed on it for flattop. That was a mistake worth hundreds of dollars
Old 06-12-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sold. I'll check out Dick Tracy when this comes out.

Oh, love to see The Rocketeer on Blu-ray as well. I watched it last week and it's still as good as when it came out.
Old 06-12-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I hope you are the only one making that comparison. , At one time (certainly not now)...Madonna was a beautiful, provocative and talented singer. Lady Gaga is a drug accident waiting to happen. Anyway, back to the topic, Dick Tracy was an awesome movie and Madonna as others have said was well cast as Breathless Mahoney. This was in her prime and she looked amazing. A decent blu-ray can't come soon enough.
Not wanting to go off-topic, but no, PopcornTreeCt is far from being the only one to equate Lady Gaga with 80s Madonna. I think you're being reductive and unfair about Gaga. Take a listen of Gaga's new album, or at least the song "Judas." It's got vintage Madonna all over it: a dance song laden with inflammatory religious-themed lyrics. In fact, a common remark I've seen made by a lot of listeners is that Born This Way is "the best Madonna album in ages."

Back to Dick Tracy, there should be a "Whatever Happened to Charlie Korsmo?" featurette. For those unaware, he was The Kid. Then he played in Hook, dabbled a little more in acting before giving it up entirely. The last I heard he was a Realtor or insurance salesman or some such. I wonder how he often he's read about these rights battles and thrown things at the wall, angry that he may never see another meaningful royalty check again.
Old 06-12-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have the toy police badge from this movie.
Old 06-12-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdslater1
I still have the toy police badge from this movie.
In fact when you got pulled over last week and flashed the badge to the officer he was so amused he let you go?
Old 06-12-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm such a dork I actually own a Dick Tracy t-shirt I found on eBay a year ago.

Love this movie. I hope Blu-Ray gives it the Special Edition it deserves.
Old 06-12-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Back to Dick Tracy, there should be a "Whatever Happened to Charlie Korsmo?" featurette. For those unaware, he was The Kid. Then he played in Hook, dabbled a little more in acting before giving it up entirely. The last I heard he was a Realtor or insurance salesman or some such. I wonder how he often he's read about these rights battles and thrown things at the wall, angry that he may never see another meaningful royalty check again.
I think he's doing okay. From Wikipedia:

Korsmo earned a degree in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 2002, he began working for the United States Federal Government on missile defense. He has also worked for the Environmental Protection Agency and for the Republican Party in the House of Representatives. He received a Juris Doctor degree from Yale Law School in 2006.[2]

At Yale, he was a member of the Federalist Society, an organization for politically conservative law students.[3] In January 2006, he and other Yale Law students signed an open letter to Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter supporting the nomination of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court. In July 2007, Korsmo passed the New York State Bar exam.[4] Formerly an associate in the New York office of Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, Korsmo is currently a visiting professor at Brooklyn Law School.[5] He will be teaching at the Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio beginning in the Fall semester of 2011.

In May 2011, it was announced that Korsmo had been nominated by President Obama for member of the Board of Trustees of the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation.[6]

He currently resides in Huntington Station, New York.
Old 06-12-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From AICN:

And from Blu-ray.com:
This was not the case at all, as i mentioned over bluray.com
Warren didnt say there was a bluray comming.
He was asked Is there any word on a HD restoration for future HD streaming or possible bluray release?" Warren paused for a long minute before finally answering "Yes....... But I dont want to get ahead of any plans they have for it"

This screening was done at my theatre, and I was there for the entire 2 hour (8:45-10:50 pm ) Q&A following the movie.
He definately didnt indicate it was comming anytime soon.
And for the record the digital file screened at hero complex was not a HD file.
Old 06-12-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Folks can say and think what they want, but I thought Madonna was perfectly cast as Breathless Mahoney. I'm not a fan of hers (though I've got nothing against her), but that was a thoroughly enjoyable performance.

I missed Dick Tracy on the big screen in 1990, but fell in love with it on VHS and finally got to see a 35mm print at a local theater in 2009--complete with "Roger Rabbit" short--and it was terrific. My only complaint was the soundtrack sounded limited and confined chiefly to the front. Now, the guy who runs these midnight screenings worships the film and I have no doubt he personally saw to it that every A/V setting was as it should have been and the theater is very much up to date so it's not like there was inferior equipment. I'm very interested to hear the new mix.

Regarding the long cut rumor, I'm glad to finally have that settled. I had never once heard or read about it until I encountered it online where it was discussed among the faithful like a UFO sighting. I'd be happy to see anything not in the final cut, but I'm glad to know that no other cut has been waiting these 21 years to see the light of day.

As for the notion of a sequel, I think too many fans accustomed to release dates set before start dates have overreacted to his unhurried view of the license. If he gets to it, I'm game. If he doesn't, so be it.

What I really want for a Blu-ray release is a ton of bonus features. The film had three soundtrack albums! The music alone should justify a 15-30 minute feature. The Oscar-winning makeup, the costumes and production design are all worth discussing, and that's without even getting into a feature on the all-star cast, the story of the actual production or placing the film in the context of either its era or in the canon of Dick Tracy as a character. If this release only has a couple of fluff pieces I'll be sorely disappointed.
Dont count on it, he point blank said at the Q&A he doesnt like special features as they take away from the film he feels(like woody allen) the film should speak for its self and behind the scenes features should not be used to study and examine and film like it was a lab experiment.

He said unless there is some really compelling reason to include special features such as the few he did for REDS, he doesnt believe in special features.
Old 06-12-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CliffStephenson
No, he didn't tell Harry Knowles that. Read that story linked above me again. Beatty also told a story Thursday night (non-rambling) about screening the film for Katzenberg and Katzenberg only asking about one change (which Beatty shortly talked him out of). That also seems to fly in the face of the report that Katzenberg forced him to cut 30 minutes from the film (unless that was a 30 minute change).

Basically, this idea of a 135 minute cut with this bounty of bonus features has been a fan-concocted idea that people have, in the 10 years since, elevated to fact (apparently even after hearing Beatty refute it himself).

But regardless, even if such a cut did exist (and I'm certainly going to take Beatty's word over "Duck Twacy's"), it's clear we'll never see it or Beatty likely would have said as much.
exactly and he honestly appeared very confused when asked about the suppsoed directors cut, as he has always had the final cut on all of his films he has directed. I also liked the fact that he said years latter he realized that Katzenberg was actually right about the change he asked to be made all those years ago.
Old 06-12-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Never saw this movie, but I did (and still do somewhere) have the trading cards from it. That Pruneface guy looked really freaky...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.