Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mill Creek Buena Vista Blu-ray Bargain Bonanza Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Mill Creek Buena Vista Blu-ray Bargain Bonanza Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Mill Creek Buena Vista Blu-ray Bargain Bonanza Appreciation Thread

So far I've come across Straight Talk, Another Stakeout, Gross Anatomy and Big Business all for $5. I didn't see a shelf tag for anything else. They also weren't mixed in with the normal blu-rays at mine but part of a newer section of cheap dvds with Big Daddy and State of Play for $5 and some titles you might typically skim over for being bottom of the barrel cheap.

The back covers also show that Gross Anatomy, Straight Talk and Big Business are all 1080p with English 2.0 Dolby Digital audio tracks and are 1.78 AR. Another Stakeout is also 1080p with English 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio but in 2.35 AR. I hope this helps some of you guys out.
Old 04-02-11, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Just watched Gross Anatomy- quality is decent for 5 bucks, not really a visually striking movie or anything. No subtitles or captions. The cover says the audio is Dolby Digital but it's really DTS-HD-Master Audio which brings up a conundrum on my system. My player won't decode DTS-HD or any extra rear channels via PCM (it does with the Dolby formats) so when playing any DTS soundtracks on Blu-Rays I set the player to Bitstream and my receiver decodes the full-resolution sound and up to 7 channels. It won't however Pro-Logic decode DTS-HD if it's 2-channel (at least not unless it's specifically flagged to), so for this movie it only played through the front left and right speakers even though it should decode the matrix center and surround channels- it will if I set the player back to PCM, but then I lose some audio resolution. Ugh. They should've just used regular PCM audio on this.

Would've also gotten Another Stakeout, but I don't have the first movie on any format- wonder why Mill Creek couldn't get that one. Will be awaiting more titles from them, the price sure is right!
Old 04-02-11, 08:09 AM

i did get another stakeout last night i loved that movie...it looked great i wonder if there will be another batch of blu rays coming out in june or july
Old 04-02-11, 01:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Saw these at Target for $5 last night...Just couldn't buy any. They all look like horrific movies.
Old 04-02-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Father The Hero. All for this one... for $4.75 when/if it appears. (Tax free Oregon with RedCard 5% discount.) Another Stakeout also possible. Although, that's a stretch even at sub $5.
Old 04-02-11, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about Romy and Michele's High School Reunion? Never even got an anamorphic DVD of that one. For shame.
Old 04-03-11, 12:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just watched Gross Anatomy- quality is decent for 5 bucks, not really a visually striking movie or anything. No subtitles or captions. The cover says the audio is Dolby Digital but it's really DTS-HD-Master Audio which brings up a conundrum on my system. My player won't decode DTS-HD or any extra rear channels via PCM (it does with the Dolby formats) so when playing any DTS soundtracks on Blu-Rays I set the player to Bitstream and my receiver decodes the full-resolution sound and up to 7 channels. It won't however Pro-Logic decode DTS-HD if it's 2-channel (at least not unless it's specifically flagged to), so for this movie it only played through the front left and right speakers even though it should decode the matrix center and surround channels- it will if I set the player back to PCM, but then I lose some audio resolution. Ugh. They should've just used regular PCM audio on this.

Would've also gotten Another Stakeout, but I don't have the first movie on any format- wonder why Mill Creek couldn't get that one. Will be awaiting more titles from them, the price sure is right!
or get a modern receiver
Old 04-03-11, 01:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
What about Romy and Michele's High School Reunion? Never even got an anamorphic DVD of that one. For shame.
Yeah, Im waiting for movies I've actually heard of. So far, the selection seems like a bunch of DTVs.
Old 04-03-11, 03:08 PM

None of those movies were DTV, some were actually moderate box office hits (Straight Talk, Big Business) Just cause a movie came out before your time doesn't make it trash
Old 04-03-11, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by IGotsNewShoes
None of those movies were DTV, some were actually moderate box office hits (Straight Talk, Big Business) Just cause a movie came out before your time doesn't make it trash
The selection, coupled with the price, artwork, lack of special features and audio make them feel like DTVs. I watch a lot of movies that came out 'before my time'
Old 04-03-11, 03:30 PM

I was just teasing you haha Straight Talk and Big Business are two of my favorite movies I saw both repeatedly in the theaters, if those two weren't in this bunch I would agree it's pretty much crap.
Old 04-03-11, 03:50 PM
Suspended

http://www.ghoulbasement.com/2011/04...ho-bridge.html

That's the recent DVD releases...can't imagine the BDs will look a whole lot better.
Old 04-03-11, 04:02 PM

But that's Echo Bridge not Mill Creek I pretty much figure the Echo Bridge releases are gonna be trash based on the Children of the Corn 2 DVD I bought
Old 04-03-11, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by IGotsNewShoes
But that's Echo Bridge not Mill Creek I pretty much figure the Echo Bridge releases are gonna be trash based on the Children of the Corn 2 DVD I bought
You're right. I kind of assumed this thread would be for Echo Bridge too since they are both studios that release crap on DVD and sort of split Disney's titles.
Old 04-03-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
http://www.ghoulbasement.com/2011/04...ho-bridge.html

That's the recent DVD releases...can't imagine the BDs will look a whole lot better.
Hmmm Full Tilt Boogie on the DVD, does the Blu have the same?
Old 04-17-11, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99
I'll take 1 new release @ $25 over any 5 titles @ $5 each listed in this thread, absolutely nothing I would ever want to watch, let alone buy... but here's to future releases that are more to my liking.
I'd sooner pay $30 for any of these titles than $3 for new crap being released today (as I sadly did during Blockbuster's recent closings - they're all in resale pile now). To each, their own.

Many of these titles and more are available from Mill Creek as double and triple features on standard DVD, for those with just middling interests in one or two titles.

'Disorganized Crime' is hella funny. I've the original DVD release or I'd bite.
Old 04-17-11, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'd love to get An Innocent Man.

Best line - "I'm gonna take that piece and fuck you with it, punk."

Classic.
Mine is 'I'm tryna do ya a solid heah!' But it must be shouted by a sweaty, swarthy F. Murray Abraham in full prison garb.
Old 04-19-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
Would love to get this on BD. I was able to get an anamorphic DVD from Australia a while back.
Old 04-26-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Mill Creek site lists the following Hollywood Pictures/Touchstone Pictures titles coming out on DVD. So a few more titles that might be possible Blu-ray releases eventually.

Aspen Extreme
Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
Camp Nowhere
Cemetery Club, The
Disorganized Crime
Funny Bones
Heartbreak Hotel
Indian Summer

I would definitely be in for the bold ones at the $5 price point.

Blu-ray.com has a review up for 'An Innocent Man' now also. That one is reported to be 1080i.
Old 04-26-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its interesting to note that all of those titles will be out on May 10th, the same date Mill Creek's first batch of Buena Vista titles hit Blu ("officially" released).
Old 04-26-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would totally buy Baby for $5.
Old 04-26-11, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by abintra
The Mill Creek site lists the following Hollywood Pictures/Touchstone Pictures titles coming out on DVD. So a few more titles that might be possible Blu-ray releases eventually.

Aspen Extreme
Camp Nowhere
Cemetery Club, The
Disorganized Crime
Funny Bones
Heartbreak Hotel
Indian Summer

Blu-ray.com has a review up for 'An Innocent Man' now also. That one is reported to be 1080i.
Never heard of any of those.
Old 04-26-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Never heard of any of those.

I'd be in for Indian Summer at that price.
Old 04-26-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abintra

Aspen Extreme
Camp Nowhere
Cemetery Club, The
Disorganized Crime
Funny Bones
Heartbreak Hotel
Indian Summer

Ahhh Camp Nowhere Jessica Alba's first movie!, not to mention Christopher lloyd was great in Camp Nowhere, not to mention you have Kate Mulgrew
and M Emmit walsh and Peter Scholari (Preston vogel from Gargoyles) and Thomas wilson It was also one of Alison macks first significant movie roles to. and great cameos by Jonathan Frakes and his wife Genie Francis I loved that movie when i was younger.

And Indian Summer was also a good movie with an excellent cast people like Alan Arkin, bill paxton, elizabeth perkins

Aspen Extreme I remember cause I had a bit of a crush of Finola Hughes at the time.

I would love to get Camp Nowhere, Indian summer, Baby and Aspen extreme.
Old 04-27-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember Camp Nowhere, however I don't have any desire to revisit it period, let alone on Blu.

I'm with the user that brought up Grosse Pointe Blank. A Blu of that (or even better, a double feature w/ High Fidelity, as another user suggested) would be excellent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.