Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

Echo Bridge has been an awful distributor on both DVD and Blu-ray, going off everything they have ever released to this point. They target low price points and wide distribution to make a profit. Quality transfers and loaded special editions are anathema to their business model. Echo Bridge is probably the last distributor I would have wanted handling the Miramax catalog on Blu-ray.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 02-17-11 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-17-11, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

From Dusk Till Dawn? Guess my re-investment in the 2-disc DVD (so I could get it autographed by Juliette Lewis) might not have been such a bad idea after all...

Plus, I bet that means no special edition of Mimic.
Old 02-18-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Disappointing news. Granted, Dimension's Halloween/Hellraiser/Children of the Corn were all pretty much crap (I may be in the minority, but H20 bores the shit out of me), but it would be kind of nice to have the PC of H6 released, even though I doubt that turd could be polished.

Really sad to see them get their hands on FDTD and Mimic, though. And what about The Crow? I thought that ended up at LG, but I also thought all of this stuff was at a LG until today.

Sad to see the Miramax carcass being picked apart by vultures.
Old 02-18-11, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
WTF? Not Anchor Bay?
yeah i know i dont understand anchor bay got the rights to put out newer sequels that come about such as the upcoming hellraiser revelation and children of the corn dweller but not the old movies i heard many times anchor bay was gonna acquire halloween 6-8 for releases
Old 02-18-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, this news sucks. I'd be excited for the probably low price point if I had even the slightest inclination they're going to be any good. I expect barebones BDs with passable transfers - anything else and I'd be thrilled.
Old 02-18-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this review of one of Echo Bridge's DVD releases is any indicator, these will be complete garbage.
Old 02-18-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If Echo Bridge gives a couple people with passion for film the lead role in ensuring quality transfers they should turn out more than adequate.

It seems most of the time quality control problems are caused by too much tinkering and arbitrary templates than anything else. Use or create a master without excessive dnr, contrast/color boosting, no edge enhancement and worry less about expensive restorations to remove or clean up every instance of film debris. Utilize all of the previously created DVD extras when at all possible and not excessively costly to retain and lossless audio and save larger budgets for films that might benefit the most from additional work like new/additional cuts, creating/licensing new content for films that warrant them, etc.

It seems companies will spend as much time and money trying to cut corners as it sometimes takes to just do a quality job once.
Old 02-19-11, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Echo Bridge's business strategy seems to be getting stores to fill up their bargain bins with cheap DVDs consisting of z-grade schlock and public domain filler. I'm not expecting much.
Old 02-19-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll switch over some of the DVD's that were bare bones, but that's it.
Old 02-19-11, 02:35 AM

"Now there are some franchises that are "safe" with Lionsgate:

- Anything involved with the name Kevin Smith."

Actually EBHE will be releasing Jersey Girl.
Old 02-19-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kidorange
Actually EBHE will be releasing Jersey Girl.
Jersey what?

This will be another title to judge EBHE by too, especially since the longer cut exists and is already good to go.
Old 02-19-11, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If this review of one of Echo Bridge's DVD releases is any indicator, these will be complete garbage.
Unfair comparison.

Here's real comparisons from titles they released in 2010:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/I-Am-Omega-Blu-ray/12290/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Haunti...Blu-ray/12287/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/War-of...Blu-ray/10358/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/30000-...Blu-ray/10359/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/2012-D...Blu-ray/10360/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Merlin...Blu-ray/10361/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/MegaFault-Blu-ray/10363/

Out of those titles, only one contained a lossless audio track. The rest? Lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround. Classy.
Old 02-19-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To be fair those are all cheap-o DTV/Syfy movies from The Asylum and they probally worked with what The Asylum gave them. I assume Miramax will have access to DTS HD.

I hope that they release a Rebel Highway Blu-Ray box set. They could do 5 double features with all 10 movies in a box set for like $50 and I would be happy.
Old 02-20-11, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I assume Miramax will have access to DTS HD.
When you assume...

Also, it's not exactly hard to make a DTS-HD track...
Old 02-22-11, 10:39 AM

I think I might be holding on to my Alliance release of Halloween 6, 7, and 8. At least they have a kickass DTS-HD audio track and great PQ for 6 and 8. I've heard H20 was filmed too soft to begin with and since it's not my favorite Halloween flick, I don't mind. It's just too Dawson's Creeky for my liking.

I've always been a big fan of Curse of Michael Myers myself.
Old 02-22-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leem6453
That is a bold statement, sir.
Old 02-22-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leem6453
I think I might be holding on to my Alliance release of Halloween 6, 7, and 8. At least they have a kickass DTS-HD audio track and great PQ for 6 and 8. I've heard H20 was filmed too soft to begin with and since it's not my favorite Halloween flick, I don't mind. It's just too Dawson's Creeky for my liking.

I saw Curse in theaters when I saw 15, so I view it with slightly rose-tinted glasses. It's a mess plot-wise, but there are some great shots in the film and it's also the last we get of the amazing Donald Pleasence.
Old 02-22-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
When you assume...

Also, it's not exactly hard to make a DTS-HD track...
How do you know?? Have you built one yourself??
Old 02-22-11, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by big e
That is a bold statement, sir.
That's what's cool about the Halloween franchise. The fans are so divided with certain plotlines. The purists only like the original, II, and H20; then you have the "thorn trilogy" fans like myself (4 - 6); and finally the Zombie series (which I also enjoy). Everyone hates Resurrection .

My ranking would be:

Halloween ('78)
Halloween 4
Halloween: Curse of MM
Halloween II ('09)
Halloween II ('81)
Halloween III
Halloween ('07)
Halloween H20
Halloween 5
Halloween Resurrection
Old 02-22-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would watch Resurrection on an endless loop before I watched Zombie's H2 again. By including it above the real Halloween II, you have invalidated any and all future opinions you post.
Old 02-22-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Halloween 6 is the only one I truly and completely hate. Resurrection ain't good, but why it has this reputation of being specially or uniquely awful when it's pretty standard slasher trash. The only added slap in the face is Laurie's send-off -- a big, painful slap in the face for fans, but still, the movie is lame in pretty run-of-the-mill ways. And I still believe people are too busy assessing the idea that Rob Zombie gets to have a take on Halloween and how he did not deviate from his usual M.O. as a writer/director than anything he's actually trying to do, successfully or unsuccessfully, in his entries.
Old 02-22-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I would watch Resurrection on an endless loop before I watched Zombie's H2 again. By including it above the real Halloween II, you have invalidated any and all future opinions you post.
This.
Old 02-22-11, 06:49 PM

Rob Zombie's Halloween II is WAY better than most of the Halloween sequels. People hate on it without giving it a chance. I think that the movie is very creepy and gives us some real situations that we can see ourselves in. Zombie did a great job of breaking out of the Halloween mold and making the sequel his own.
Old 02-22-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
Rob Zombie's Halloween II is WAY better than most of the Halloween sequels. People hate on it without giving it a chance. I think that the movie is very creepy and gives us some real situations that we can see ourselves in. Zombie did a great job of breaking out of the Halloween mold and making the sequel his own.
Dude, I want to love you because of your screen name, but that just killed it for me. I realize it's your opinion, but Zombie hates Halloween fans and this was his way of giving you a 2-hour middle finger. It isn't creepy - it's just a white trash delusion of horror. Some style, zero substance. And what he did to the Loomis character was blasphemous.
Old 02-22-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
Zombieween 2 is one of the worst major movies ever made. Yea, ever.

I'd buy Curse of Michael Myers pretty quick on blu, assuming it doesn't look like crap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.