Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Dude, I want to love you because of your screen name, but that just killed it for me. I realize it's your opinion, but Zombie hates Halloween fans and this was his way of giving you a 2-hour middle finger. It isn't creepy - it's just a white trash delusion of horror. Some style, zero substance. And what he did to the Loomis character was blasphemous.
Why is it blasphemous? It's different. Different is good. If you aren't going to be at least a little different, then there's no point in doing a remake. I thought it was an interesting, sensible take: why wouldn't Loomis become resentful after a near-death experience with a patient he tried for decades to help? As for "white trash", this complaint has always bugged me because it's so poorly-defined. First of all, why is white trash a problem? Is it the questionable implication that such a background creates killers like Michael? Is it the fact that Zombie is fascinated with white trash characters? And even if it is one of those things, why does it detract from Halloween II for this element to be present? Beyond that, there's about seven "white trash" characters in the whole movie, all minor: the two ambulance drivers, the three farmers who confront Michael in the field, and the fat bar owner and his assistant. The "white trash" aspect was more emphasized in the original, with the father and sister -- even fewer characters. So many people make a big deal of this one element. To me, it seems akin to complaining about the Death at a Funeral remake primarily because they made the characters African-American: why that, of all things?

Also, the idea that "Zombie hates Halloween fans" is an example of what I was saying: a judgment of Zombie and the fact that he was allowed to remake Halloween rather than the ideas of the remake itself. Admittedly, you continued, and gave partial reasons for your disinterest, but the fact that that was mentioned first sticks out. Really, people remaking movies don't owe anything to the fans of the original. All one needs to have grounds for a remake is a specific, genuine vision with enough unique elements to justify retelling the story, and I think Zombie's movie's qualify. Whether you like the final product is something else, but I doubt Zombie actually hates fans of the original (except in the context that he can't win with them, evidenced by the equal, unbridled, vitriolic hatred I've seen for his remakes in every thread I've ever been in about them), and even if he does, it should have any bearing on whether his remake is good or not.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-22-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

I liked all the Halloween films. Ive been a huge fan since I was a kid and remember buying them all on VHS when I was a kid. I adore H6, and always have. Certain scenes still give me chills. I remember back when there was a Halloween message board, I still think I was the only one who liked it. It seems to have a better reception over here.

However, I never did see Part 8, and never bothered. The whole internet thing looked about as lame as possible.

I feel the same way about Zombie's II as I do about Curse, with far less nostalgia going for it. Some great scenes ruined by utterly silly plotlines.
Old 02-22-11, 10:55 PM

Droidguy, I wish I could have said it as well as you did. I like the movie because Zombie does something different. The problem lies in the fact that you can't please everyone, or as you put it so correctly, ALL Halloween fans. I would like to point out that the person who blasted me for liking Zombie's Halloween movies will buy Curse, which is a terrible movie by any standards, not just Halloween standards.
Old 02-23-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
How do you know?? Have you built one yourself??
DTS-HD, or any digital audio format, is all about encoding and mastering. If you have the software, you can make your very own DTS-HD track at home.

However, the audio track is only going to sound as good as the source it comes from. So that all lies on Miramax.
Old 02-23-11, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least movies like Curse and Zombie's movies took chances, were unapologetic, and grim as hell. I love those entries personally. At least they didn't play it safe like H20 and Resurrection. I like to call that the "watered-down" Myers era.

That's why I like the Halloween series more than any other horror franchise...so much diversity.
Old 02-23-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

The only Halloween movies that I think are really great movies are the original and IV.

I liked Halloween II when I was a kid, but it hasn't aged well and comes off as a generic slasher (or a F13 entry).

I like III as a standalone movie, in that campy gore-and-special effects-heavy early 1980s Fangoria mold.

Halloween V is kind of a mess; the tone is all wrong for a Halloween movie and it comes off as too campy.

Halloween VI feels like they took a spec horror script and grafted Michael Myers and Loomis into it in order to make a quick Halloween movie.

H20 never felt right, and I thought it was kind of boring.

Resurrection is a bad joke.

Zombieween is kind of okay, but it just feels unnecessary.

Haven't seen Zombieween II yet, so I can't pass judgement yet.
Old 02-23-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The only Halloween movies that I think are really great movies are the original and IV.
Ditto! Geez, there's no point in me writing a response at all since I'd be scribbling down the same exact thing you did...well, leading up to the Zombies, at least.

I first watched Halloween on late night TV growing up (immediately followed by the sequel too), so it had the 'sister' stuff baked in. When I got a little older and started watching the theatrical version, I realized how much I hated the entire sister angle...the complete randomness of the stalking was such a huge part of the appeal for me.

Even though part IV builds on an aspect I'm not fond of in the first place, I like the rest of the movie enough that I don't care.

I don't really like much of anything in Zombie's Halloween, and at least some of that comes down to why I don't like the TV version of the Carpenter original. The power of The Shape is in the lack of humanity and lack of motivation. I don't want an explanation. I don't want backstory. Those are missing the point. He also turns The Shape into too much of a cartoon character with his Kool Aid Man-like penchant for breaking through walls and stabbing everyone 7,467 times. Yeah, we get it. It's brutal. You can stop stabbing now and show something...anything...else.
Old 02-23-11, 04:36 PM

I'll bet John Carpenter never suspected in his wildest dreams that the speechless stalker that he created would ever become one of the greatest horror icons ever. I think that's just awesome.

I just wish I could get all of them on BD.
Old 02-23-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H20 is okay, but I really wish Pleasance had survived long enough to be in it. It'd make all the difference.
Old 02-23-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

here is the first batch announced. They are only listed for DVD right now but it's safe to say that the Blu-Ray's will probally come out around the same time
*4-12-2011*

Gordy
The Human Stain
My Boss's Daughter (PG-13)
Don't Be A Menace (R)
The Crow 2: City of Angels
Duplex
Becoming Jane
Pokemon Heroes
Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (R)
From Dusk Till Dawn
Jersey Girl
Old 02-23-11, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

A bunch of turds. As expected. If they go for $10 or less, I'd likely grab From Dusk and Jersey Girl.
Old 02-23-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm going to embarrass myself a bit -- Pokemon Heroes is perhaps my favorite of the entire Pokemon film franchise. It's very entertaining and has some stellar animation, IMHO. I hope that one get's a Blu-ray release. I would definitely upgrade my DVD.
Old 02-23-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't really like much of anything in Zombie's Halloween, and at least some of that comes down to why I don't like the TV version of the Carpenter original. The power of The Shape is in the lack of humanity and lack of motivation. I don't want an explanation. I don't want backstory. Those are missing the point. He also turns The Shape into too much of a cartoon character with his Kool Aid Man-like penchant for breaking through walls and stabbing everyone 7,467 times. Yeah, we get it. It's brutal. You can stop stabbing now and show something...anything...else.
Agreed on the brother/sister angle.

Unfortunately, that angle has been so ingrained into the franchise that you really can't get away from it. It's hard to watch the original now without thinking he's her brother... he's her brother...

Definitely a case where the original movie has been weakened by the sequels. Everything about Halloween is just about perfect, it's like Jaws in that respect, and bringing back Michael Myers again and again just lessens the impact of that final scene. You're supposed to left with this uneasy feeling that he's still out there somewhere. And then, Halloween II picks up five minutes later...
Old 02-23-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Gordy
The Human Stain
My Boss's Daughter (PG-13)
Don't Be A Menace (R)
The Crow 2: City of Angels
Duplex
Becoming Jane
Pokemon Heroes
Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (R)
From Dusk Till Dawn
Jersey Girl
So these aren't going to be the unrated versions?

Echo Bridge
Old 02-23-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are the betting odds that the DVDs of these titles include the exact transfers from their original DVD releases? I'm betting the same or worse.
Old 02-23-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd pick up Hellraiser 3 and From Dusk Til Dawn on blu if they don't look like crap. They can f-off with their DVDs of them.
Old 02-23-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

People either love or hate Zombie's H2 and those in each camp will never convince each other to change their minds. I saw it and thought it was absolutely terrible in almost every way. I think I already had a heated discussion about it a while back and it went nowhere. So there is no point in giving a long dissertation as to exactly why it didn't work for me.

With that said, I also love Halloween 3 and think it would have been interesting if the franchise continued along that path by doing a different Halloween themed film for each sequel. Yet I know that a lot of people hate that film as well. Some people just like different things for different reasons.

I think Halloween 4, Halloween 2 ('81) and H20 are the best sequels.

Finally, while the Canadian disc is better than nothing, it would be nice to have H6 and H20 in 1080p.
Old 02-24-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of crap announced so far, though I might buy From Dusk and CotC 2 for under $10 if they hit BD. I thought Paramount had Hellraiser 3? Weird it's only the R-cut.

Originally Posted by GenPion
I'm going to embarrass myself a bit -- Pokemon Heroes is perhaps my favorite of the entire Pokemon film franchise. It's very entertaining and has some stellar animation, IMHO. I hope that one get's a Blu-ray release. I would definitely upgrade my DVD.
Which part is more embarassing: that you consider this the pinnacle of the Pokemon film franchise, or that you're familiar enough with the franchise to have a favorite?
Old 02-24-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Why is it blasphemous? It's different. Different is good. If you aren't going to be at least a little different, then there's no point in doing a remake. I thought it was an interesting, sensible take: why wouldn't Loomis become resentful after a near-death experience with a patient he tried for decades to help? As for "white trash", this complaint has always bugged me because it's so poorly-defined. First of all, why is white trash a problem? Is it the questionable implication that such a background creates killers like Michael? Is it the fact that Zombie is fascinated with white trash characters? And even if it is one of those things, why does it detract from Halloween II for this element to be present? Beyond that, there's about seven "white trash" characters in the whole movie, all minor: the two ambulance drivers, the three farmers who confront Michael in the field, and the fat bar owner and his assistant. The "white trash" aspect was more emphasized in the original, with the father and sister -- even fewer characters. So many people make a big deal of this one element. To me, it seems akin to complaining about the Death at a Funeral remake primarily because they made the characters African-American: why that, of all things?

Also, the idea that "Zombie hates Halloween fans" is an example of what I was saying: a judgment of Zombie and the fact that he was allowed to remake Halloween rather than the ideas of the remake itself. Admittedly, you continued, and gave partial reasons for your disinterest, but the fact that that was mentioned first sticks out. Really, people remaking movies don't owe anything to the fans of the original. All one needs to have grounds for a remake is a specific, genuine vision with enough unique elements to justify retelling the story, and I think Zombie's movie's qualify. Whether you like the final product is something else, but I doubt Zombie actually hates fans of the original (except in the context that he can't win with them, evidenced by the equal, unbridled, vitriolic hatred I've seen for his remakes in every thread I've ever been in about them), and even if he does, it should have any bearing on whether his remake is good or not.
tl;dr

I'll only say that I agree something different had to be done with the franchise; I just think Zombie missed the mark by miles.

Oh, and if anyone thought H2 was bad you'd better hope they don't make Lussier/Farmer's script for H3. I know the ins and outs of it and I'll just say that it's equally as horrendous.
Old 02-24-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I'd be interested in picking up From Dusk Til Dawn out of that list. The rest of those are pretty crappy though other than possibly Hellraiser III, but that series was never really my favorite.
Old 02-24-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Which part is more embarassing: that you consider this the pinnacle of the Pokemon film franchise, or that you're familiar enough with the franchise to have a favorite?
I haven't seen all of the Pokemon films. And, for the record, I was only 13 when Pokemon Heroes came out in theaters. The series was a staple of my childhood. Honestly, I guess I'm not that embarrassed about the fact I still enjoy Pokemon to some extent.
Old 02-24-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I haven't seen all of the Pokemon films. And, for the record, I was only 13 when Pokemon Heroes came out in theaters. The series was a staple of my childhood. Honestly, I guess I'm not that embarrassed about the fact I still enjoy Pokemon to some extent.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wW6IFdHWblY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-24-11, 04:22 PM
Banned

This is a horrible mistake. You just know, because Echo Bridge is such a budget company, that there won't be any extras or trailers or anything else like that.
Old 02-24-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd be interested in picking up From Dusk Til Dawn out of that list. The rest of those are pretty crappy though other than possibly Hellraiser III, but that series was never really my favorite.
Hellraiser III is owned by Paramount, so i wouldnt count on seeing that unless Paramount has licensed it out to them but i find that very unlikely seeing as how Lionsgate has been paramounts go to disc distributor lately
my guess is that Hellraiser III is an error its probably one of the latter Hellraiser films.
I enjoy Hellraiser III as well, but only because it stars Terry Farrell.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 02-24-11 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-24-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Hellraiser III is owned by Paramount, so i wouldnt count on seeing that unless Paramount has licensed it out to them but i find that very unlikely seeing as how Lionsgate has been paramounts go to disc distributor lately
my guess is that Hellraiser III is an error its probably one of the latter Hellraiser films.
I enjoy Hellraiser III as well, but only because it stars Terry Farrell.
Hellraiser III was originally financed by Dimension, but released onto video by Paramount. Why? Because the Buena Vista deal didn't happen until a year later.

It could be entirely possible that the rights have swung back to Miramax and/or Paramount just doesn't care for the title and let Miramax keep it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.