Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there still people out there who refuse to upgrade to Blu-ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Are there still people out there who refuse to upgrade to Blu-ray?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Are there still people out there who refuse to upgrade to Blu-ray?

Originally Posted by Eric D.
People do realize that when you purchase a BD player, you are not held at gunpoint to upgrade your entire DVD collection, right? I say that somewhat in jest because that's the main reason a lot of people keep giving and they seem angry about it. Like others have said ad nauseam, a BD player will play your entire DVD collection without a problem. So you can keep your "looks fine to me" library and just buy/rent movies that you don't have yet on Blu.
It's the mentality though. Because when DVD came out, they had to repurchase everything (well until those absolutely awful combo machines came out) and so they think it still applies. I've upgraded a lot of my dvds to blu but only when they upgraded the video/sound and kept the same special features. In rare cases, I have went ahead and bought the bare bones blu and then used a 2 disc blu case to hold the dvd also because I'm pretty sure another blu-ray release isn't coming anytime soon (example...Le Femme Nikita which had the LE dvd and the barebones blu). But I can count those cases on my hand.
Old 01-26-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigh
I'd like to be able to afford all the newest toys, but sometimes it's not a question of being happy but realistically affording things.
I totally agree. But not being in a position to purchase or enjoy something is a different argument than the claim of being happy. I'd a love a better car than the 98 Lumina with 103,000 miles that I drive right now. I make do. I tolerate it. It's fine for now because that's all I can afford until I get my kids out of school. People bitch and moan about every aspect of a DVD or BD release from movie itself to the packaging but when it comes to a new technology they are suddenly perfectly happy with everything the current technology offers.
Old 01-26-11, 06:07 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
What doesn't make sense to me is that you seem to have arbitrarily decided that you "have no use for a Blu-ray player" as some kind of emotional reaction to "everyone" who thinks you should start over and convert your collection to Blu-ray. That is, at least, the impression I get from your original post in this thread. It's as if you've dug in your heels against the format because you don't want to re-buy everything - yet the format was designed so that you don't have to re-buy anything that you don't want to.

As a fellow collector of movies, I find this stance a very odd one. A few years ago, when the entry cost for Blu-ray was much higher, I would totally understand. But today, the cost of decent Blu-ray players is so low that no matter how content you are with DVD, it makes little sense not to at least open yourself up to the capability of playing Blu-ray discs whenever it's time to replace your player. Why not expand your potential pool of available releases? To me, it's akin to when region-free Blu-ray players became highly affordable. It's a very low cost of entry to have more available content with no requirement to re-buy any discs.
Point taken about BluRay player's backwards compatibility with DVDs, and if the DVD portion of my DVD/VHS player ever dies, I may look at BluRay players as a possibility, although the JVC DR-MV150B is looking pretty nice to me as a replacement should my Sony SLV-D550P ever die. But what I don't understand is why people would keep pushing BluRay on someone who is perfectly happy with DVD, has their entire collection on DVD, is pretty much to the point where he has most of what he's ever wanted on DVD, has really no plans to upgrade to BluRay nor purchase any BluRay discs? Is it a BluRay addiction that dictates everyone must have one regardless of whether or not they'll ever actually use its BluRay capabilities? No disrespect intended to anyone here, but I don't get that. Am I any less of a human being just because I'm not really interested in doing BluRay? -kd5-
Old 01-26-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

If your dvd player dies, why wouldn't you just buy a blu ray player instead of another dvd player?
Old 01-26-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
If your dvd player dies, why wouldn't you just buy a blu ray player instead of another dvd player?
Kd5 hasn't said whether or not he owns on HDTV to watch all his DVD's, but I agree that doesn't make sense to purchase another DVD player to replace a broken one if you already own an HDTV. Plus all the DVD's that he owns will be upconverted to near HD quality if you play them in a Blu Ray player. I can understand if he's still watching his DVD's on a standard def TV. Then he really has no need for a Blu-Ray player.

Even though I upgraded to Blu-Ray, I still kept my DVD players because both of them are Region Free and I own a large assortment of Region 3 Hong Kong DVD's.
Old 01-26-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I was an early adopter. I bought the first PS3 right when it came out (yea, I got lucky). However, due to cost of BD movies, I bought very few. I think I bought Pirates for like $36 or something silly like that. I probably built up to 10 or BD movies and continued to buy DVD.

However, the end of 2010 was the year of the BD movies. I bet I bought 30 movies. Most at less than $10. Lord of the Rings for $8.00 each, plus many more. The vast majority of which I did not own in DVD.

So now I'm focusing mainly on BD (I picked up used Bond movie in blu for $7.00). I mean when the vast majority of moves are around $10 or less and new movies at that (I got my Daughter the latest vampire movie, whatever they are) for $5.xx shipped on BD why not (unless you haven't gone HD at all)?

I now look at BD movies at the $10 price point. If I can find it around $10 and I don't have it, I'll buy it. But I won't buy a DVD unless it it is $5.00 or less (typically). If I can't find it on BD for around $10 and the DVD is much over $5.00, I won't buy at all. I'll wait for a sale or our a coupon or something.
Old 01-26-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boss refuses to buy an HDTV, BD player, and BDs. He thinks it all is a big scam and isn't worth it. I'll tell him I got such and such on BD recently, an older film, and he thinks I'm crazy saying that BD doesn't actually improve upon the visual quality of old films since they weren't shot in high definition in the first place, thus the "scam".

I try to just avoid this topic with him entirely now.
Old 01-26-11, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
My boss refuses to buy an HDTV, BD player, and BDs. He thinks it all is a big scam and isn't worth it. I'll tell him I got such and such on BD recently, an older film, and he thinks I'm crazy saying that BD doesn't actually improve upon the visual quality of old films since they weren't shot in high definition in the first place, thus the "scam".

I try to just avoid this topic with him entirely now.
As a rule, I try to avoid discussing anything with a person who believes they're savvy to scams that ensnare the rest of us. That kind of person is almost universally arrogant and a self-appointed expert on any topic they've seen a TV show about.
Old 01-26-11, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try and buy the Blu-ray if I can but if I already have the DVD I really see no need to upgrade just focus on the new stuff JMO
Old 01-26-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Point taken about BluRay player's backwards compatibility with DVDs, and if the DVD portion of my DVD/VHS player ever dies, I may look at BluRay players as a possibility, although the JVC DR-MV150B is looking pretty nice to me as a replacement should my Sony SLV-D550P ever die. But what I don't understand is why people would keep pushing BluRay on someone who is perfectly happy with DVD, has their entire collection on DVD, is pretty much to the point where he has most of what he's ever wanted on DVD, has really no plans to upgrade to BluRay nor purchase any BluRay discs? Is it a BluRay addiction that dictates everyone must have one regardless of whether or not they'll ever actually use its BluRay capabilities? No disrespect intended to anyone here, but I don't get that. Am I any less of a human being just because I'm not really interested in doing BluRay? -kd5-
They keep making new movies. New movies look awesome on Blu Ray. Keep your old stuff on DVD, buy your new stuff on Blu Ray. Unless you are just adamant about feeding your 1080p TV a 480p signal, today's price points almost render a new DVD player obsolete.

Or better yet, buy an old favorite on Blu-Ray and compare side by side to your DVD (mine was Poltergeist). I guarantee you'll soon be salivating at the news that one of your favorites is getting a BD release.
Old 01-27-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigh
I'd like to be able to afford all the newest toys, but sometimes it's not a question of being happy but realistically affording things.
Yeah, but some of the people citing price as a factor have hundreds if not thousands of DVD's... it just seems silly citing a $5 price differential when you look at their spending habits. Folks with large collections are indeed stuck with them now as there is no real trade in option like there used to be... and I suspect not going Blu (even if just for new releases) has mostly to do with that. Because suddenly you have this large collection that is dated...
Old 01-27-11, 01:08 AM
Banned

Of course, I want the blu-rays for the better picture and sound, but if there's a movie I want that's on both dvd and blu-ray, I go with the one that has the most features. Or if the blu has a commentary and features but the dvd only has the features, I'll get the blu-ray. If it's a movie that I really want, but the blu-doesn't have all the same features as the dvd, I'll keep the dvd, too. There's isn't really that much of a difference in price between them anymore. And the players aren't that much more than dvd players.
Old 01-27-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
Then there are firmware updates you have to find because the disc you just purchased won't play.. then you accidently hit stop on the player so you have to start the movie over again to find your spot... I meant cumulatively a lot of work, not just review sifting..
Joke post? At least I sincerely hope it's a joke post.

If you think having Blu-ray is a lot of work, how do you handle the rest of the world? Bad transfers?!? As if everything that came out on DVD was perfect? And the firmware stuff is a rare occurrence that's normally fixed quite quickly. Personally, it's never happened to me. I won't even address the other stuff.

Honestly, the only reason I can see someone not wanting BD is if they would have to buy a whole new home theater in order to support it. The fact that people who post on a movie lovers/collecting board think BD is not worth their time is a little odd to me. It seems like deep down they know if they make the switch, they will feel the need to re-purchase their entire collection again. So as a result, they completely avoid the format in order to keep that from happening.
Old 01-27-11, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Joke post? At least I sincerely hope it's a joke post.

If you think having Blu-ray is a lot of work, how do you handle the rest of the world? Bad transfers?!? As if everything that came out on DVD was perfect? And the firmware stuff is a rare occurrence that's normally fixed quite quickly. Personally, it's never happened to me. I won't even address the other stuff.

Honestly, the only reason I can see someone not wanting BD is if they would have to buy a whole new home theater in order to support it. The fact that people who post on a movie lovers/collecting board think BD is not worth their time is a little odd to me. It seems like deep down they know if they make the switch, they will feel the need to re-purchase their entire collection again. So as a result, they completely avoid the format in order to keep that from happening.
No, not a joke post. My point is I cannot love a format with so many problems. I was hesitant to move from laserdisc to dvd because although PQ is much better, sound is inferior. I do have a handful of BD titles, so the upgrade will happen.... But there are so many new issues with BD... Another problem, Documentaries chopped up for BD live, which from what I've read, is very disliked... I don't claim to be completely knowledgeable, but this was to be a forum of discussion as to why we haven't made the switch... I would say I deal with the real world better than most, but my recreational time is to be just that.
Old 01-27-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes.
Old 01-27-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Of course you're not any less of a human and I do understand your aversion to the way some folks proselytize for the format. My intention was not to do that in our exchange. I just wanted to address the errant idea that having a Blu-ray player requires replacing your DVD collection. I've certainly replaced some of my DVDs with Blu-ray discs, but on the whole I still have a ton of DVDs and I love that both can co-exist. I'm a pretty big fan of the advantages Blu-ray has, but I'm also a fan of the sheer volume and range of titles that only DVD offers at this point.

Also, I made a mistake in my last post. I meant to say "region-free DVD players" not "region-free Blu-ray players."
Old 01-27-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Then there are firmware updates you have to find because the disc you just purchased won't play.. then you accidently hit stop on the player so you have to start the movie over again to find your spot... I meant cumulatively a lot of work, not just review sifting..
These are legitimate issues which a lot of us enthusiasts in here tend to gloss over, when these are real concerns for a significant portion of the GP.
Old 01-27-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think there is a certain skepticism about Blu-ray because Blu-ray will make you look at your DVD collection with a much more critical eye as far as quality goes.

I know, that's the nature of technology but it's not like a computer or a TV where it's a one-time purchase and four years later you have to upgrade to keep up with changing technology.

DVD collections have a more emotional attachment as they have been carefully cultivated over many years and then suddenly you watch them with a more critical eye when comparing it to the next format.

Yes, you can keep your DVDs and No, no one's making you get rid of them or making you replace them but at the same time having a superior Blu-ray comparison may cause you disatisfaction with a collection you once cherished. I think that's a possible reason for resisting Blu-ray.

If you can still feel satisfied with DVD; Great! What if you're no longer satisfied? How much is it going to cost to upgrade to Blu? Will it be followed by "Super-Blu-ray" in a couple of years?

If you have a lot of disposible income for collecting, these can be easy decisions. If not, well...
Old 01-27-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
DVD collections have a more emotional attachment as they have been carefully cultivated over many years and then suddenly you watch them with a more critical eye when comparing it to the next format.
You raise an interesting point about the idea of permanence. When we all bought into DVD, the idea that we would never again have to fear our VCR eating our tapes was a major selling point. DVDs were manufactured for life, more or less. The frequency of double-dips and various editions in the last 13 years, though, has really detracted from that perception.

If I was simply interested in being able to watch the movie, I'd probably never double dip, but as most of us collectors understand it's about more than access to the movie. It's entirely my choice, and I don't begrudge the studios for these re-issues that prey on my compulsion to have the latest and greatest version of a favorite movie.

The problem, though, is that some movies have already had three generations of DVD releases. When to keep up and when to stay pat is constantly being put before us. That selling point of permanence has been replaced with a sense that editions are transient; that we must frequently choose whether to stay "up to date" with a title or concede that we're not that big of a fan, at which point we're eventually curious whether we like it at all. There's a peculiar arena of self-examination demanded by these double-dips that calls to us not just as materialistic collectors, but as fans and critics of art.

Blu converts generally seem to have resolved that they remain committed lovers of the art, whereas resisters generally seem to have concluded that they can't justify the next level of materialistic consumerism. It's an interesting conflict, to be sure.
Old 01-27-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
whereas resisters generally seem to have concluded that they can't justify the next level of materialistic consumerism. It's an interesting conflict, to be sure.
Resisters are the same people that wanted their grandparents to upgrade to DVD because the quality is better than VHS. Now they are in the same position as the grandparents.

Now the resisters know how annoying they were, when those of us that keep up which technology do the same to them. The only difference this time is that we probably aren't in your will, so you can't write us out of it like your grandparents did to you.
Old 01-27-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I have a friend convinced that as soon as you get to basic training, they tell you all about the aliens and all the other secrets. He never bothered me about it since he's also of the belief that we aren't going to spread the word to outsiders, so he's one of the less obnoxious conspiracy people.
I think the only odd thing like that I heard in Basic is a drill sgt was yelling at us and telling us how useless we were and then she said something about a few countries. And I honestly didn't know if she knew something we didn't and she made a mistake in yelling it at us. And i know it was probably them mindfucking us again, but it still freaks me out a little and I haven't even told my wife exactly what she said. And if i stop posting someone come looking for me.

On topic I only have a 40" lcd and i have a ps3 and a panasonic bluray player and I do buy blu-ray 75% of the time but I'll buy dvds if it is something i really want at release and I only have a limited amount of money, but i usually end up picking up the br at some time anyway.
Old 01-27-11, 08:53 PM
Banned

No, not a joke post. My point is I cannot love a format with so many problems. I was hesitant to move from laserdisc to dvd because although PQ is much better, sound is inferior. I do have a handful of BD titles, so the upgrade will happen.... But there are so many new issues with BD... Another problem, Documentaries chopped up for BD live, which from what I've read, is very disliked... I don't claim to be completely knowledgeable, but this was to be a forum of discussion as to why we haven't made the switch... I would say I deal with the real world better than most, but my recreational time is to be just that.
There aren't really any more problems with blu-ray than with dvd. Sure, you may have to update your player's firmware, but that's about it. The only other really big problem is that players don't save your place on blu-rays. So, every time you stop the movie, you have to start all over and fast forward to find your place. But that's not that big of a deal....though I wish blu-rays would save your place like dvds do.
Old 01-27-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have made up your mind, you have made up your mind based on what you have "heard". And that is fine.

I can say, I have not had a regular DVD player in my house for years. My "regular" DVD's have been going in my Toshiba HD players. That by the way I have NEVER upgraded the FW and continue to play every HD movie I bought (and just picked up a Harry Potter for $3.00) and every DVD I've put in.

My PS3 is my BD player in my media room. Obviously no issues there. Easy FW upgrade, lots of features and DVD looks good on (tho not as good as my Toshiba HD player, IMO).

Now the interesting one. My mom picked me up one of those $65 LG BD players on black Friday. I never unboxed it. I thought about getting a nicer one for living room or whatever. But I've never done anything, and now been 2 months, so I just hooked the damn thing up. I just sat it on top of my HD player, HDMI to TV, coaxial to surround receiver.

I cannot believe how good it is for $65! It is lightening fast compared to my HD Players. The image is fantastic (46" Samsung 1080p LCD). Surround is great (my receiver won't do lossless, but good Ol' "lossy" 5.1 is very good).

Right now I'm watching the original Highlander movie on BD that I picked up new for like $8.00. It is like watching a different movie. It is amazing! Love it.

I have a non-geek wife and 2 kids. Trust me when I say the BD/HD players I have are the least of my worries with them! LOL
Old 01-27-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
There aren't really any more problems with blu-ray than with dvd. Sure, you may have to update your player's firmware, but that's about it. The only other really big problem is that players don't save your place on blu-rays. So, every time you stop the movie, you have to start all over and fast forward to find your place. But that's not that big of a deal....though I wish blu-rays would save your place like dvds do.
I think my PS3 picks up where you left off...but I haven't done that in a bit.
Old 01-27-11, 11:38 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Actually on toy story 3 (BR), when I play the disk it ask if I want to resume, even if the disk was previously removed. I guess it might have something to do with my player?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.