Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there still people out there who refuse to upgrade to Blu-ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Are there still people out there who refuse to upgrade to Blu-ray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Re: Are there still people out there who refuse to upgrade to Blu-ray?

Funny, as soon as I saw this thread come up I thought of the current LOTR brouhaha and why that's a perfectly good reason to stick with the DVDs.

As for Star Wars, I have been a fan since I was four years old and I can't muster up more than a "meh" for the Blu set. Maybe if I found a deal like those people that got it for $40, I might bite. And if Lucas ever did release the originals, I would likely go back and get the 9 disc set for completeness' sake.
Old 06-21-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I have Blu-ray movies (just got about 8 of them today--I look forward to seeing Avatar this weekend or next--yes, I haven't seen it yet) but I also have 300+ HD DVD movies on my shelf. They aren't going anywhere until my HD-XA2 dies. And even then I have a Blu-ray/HD DVD ROM player, so who knows.

I totally get what milo bloom is talking about. When BTTF sold for $14.99...I couldn't justify getting it. Some things I just can't pull the trigger on. Even if I got the BTTF for free, it would just sit on my shelf. Now, when I was younger, I loved it. I've seen each movie a dozen times or more, so maybe this is why I'm just burned out on it, but there are many movies I won't upgrade to Blu just yet.
Old 06-21-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Funny, as soon as I saw this thread come up I thought of the current LOTR brouhaha and why that's a perfectly good reason to stick with the DVDs.

As for Star Wars, I have been a fan since I was four years old and I can't muster up more than a "meh" for the Blu set. Maybe if I found a deal like those people that got it for $40, I might bite. And if Lucas ever did release the originals, I would likely go back and get the 9 disc set for completeness' sake.
The Star Wars OT set is $33 at DVD Planet and in my opinion the LOTR brouhaha is just that.
Old 06-22-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,040 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Incidentally, last night I got to talking about Blu-ray during the Super Bowl with one of my friends and her dad. He's in his 60s, I think, and loves movies. He's got a new TV, but was unaware that a Blu-ray player would actually play his DVDs. He said he didn't want to have to re-buy his library and I explained he wouldn't have to do that, but that he might find himself wanting to get his favorites on Blu-ray. Then his question became, "Does it make that much difference?" and I said I personally thought it did. For me, the greatest thing I can say about Blu-ray is that I've found myself seeing things for the first time in movies I've seen numerous times in other formats. This HD format has basically allowed me to fall in love all over again with my favorite movies. I'm very interested to find out if he takes the plunge and what he thinks about it if he does.
Originally Posted by JimRochester
Willing to bet he doesn't
Any update to the story...?
Old 06-22-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Star Wars OT set is $33 at DVD Planet and in my opinion the LOTR brouhaha is just that.
There were folks that got the 9 disc set for $40. I actually mostly enjoy the prequels and don't terribly hate the SE's of the original movies, but I'm just not feeling the need to upgrade my DVDs, especially without the originals, and with the (so far) not so great looking extra features.
Old 06-22-11, 12:52 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. For me, if I wasn't on Blu-Ray yet I'd definately switch based on the upcoming releases (even though my childhood was raped).
I don't have a sound system yet and that's on my list next. I guess all the HD stuff has motiviated me to get into it more. I definately appreciate the quality over DVD.
Old 06-23-11, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to BLU when region free players became available and at cheap prices. No reason not to now.